• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oh, ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho!

I definitely wanna see Chu's opinion on this.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I find this easy to fap to.

Good to see that Sakurai really is doing some research on other games. It should only mean that SSB4 will truly be a milestone in fighting game design.
So Kuma, I ask you this, if Sakurai is indeed studying Street Fighter like mechanics, what do you suppose will be implemented? What can the Smash style of gaming gain from this?

:phone:

OmegaXXII

So, it's very interesting to see this, hmm...I wonder what will happen to it's mechanic change, will it be more competative based?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If this indeed means what I believe it does, what this tells me is he willing to build upon Smash Bros. mechanics by drawing from other examples to achieve this. Perhaps his goal is for better character balance? Or implementing, as some jokingly stated, new moves such as diagonal attacks? There really is no way of telling at this moment.

My ten bucks are saying that he is looking to improve over all character balance.

@Iblis: I read your comments and I agreed with it. Just because I do not comment does not mean it was not read.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So Kuma, I ask you this, if Sakurai is indeed studying Street Fighter like mechanics, what do you suppose will be implemented? What can the Smash style of gaming gain from this?

There's quite a bit he can look at in Street Fighter at the very least. What do I think will be implemented. In terms of commonly seen stuff, I think canceling into specials and supers which would also mean some kind of super would be implemented into Smash that isn't the Final Smash.

If he wants to look at other stuff in terms of character designs, BlazBlue and Guilty Gear are chuck full of some truly unique and amazing that he could use as inspiration for character designs.

OmegaXXII

@Mecha: Yes, from what I can tell it's probably insparation, but don't you find it weird that he would use Capcom's hitbox data? Sounds fishy to me, I hope Capcom is indeed involved with this.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well this is a good sign at what we might see happen to SSB4 if he's looking at Capcom. (SSB4 Turbo Hyper Edtion? :awesome:)

Either way if he's looking at Capcom this majorily increases the chances of a Capcom character.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Mecha: Yes, from what I can tell it's probably insparation, but don't you find it weird that he would use Capcom's hitbox data? Sounds fishy to me, I hope Capcom is indeed involved with this.

That is probably stretching it. Though I will not say it is impossible as Game Arts helped develop Brawl. However, it is extremely unlikely.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I think people are overthinking this slightly. =P If it's just in a magazine, then he's just admiring it. If it's in a book that he's actually studying.... what book is it? I think that needs to be established before we draw conclusions.

Otherwise, this is just a little guide intended for everyday players like you and me to learn a bit more about how SF works, and that Sakurai is just sharing his appreciation for it on twitter. I don't think there would be much that Sakurai can learn from if this is the case.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I find this easy to fap to.

Good to see that Sakurai really is doing some research on other games. It should only mean that SSB4 will truly be a milestone in fighting game design.
Just an FYI, he did it for Brawl too. Photos of the teams offices had a TV with arcade sticks plugged in.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I think people are overthinking this slightly. =P If it's just in a magazine, then he's just admiring it. If it's in a book that he's actually studying.... what book is it? I think that needs to be established before we draw conclusions.

Otherwise, this is just a little guide intended for everyday players like you and me to learn a bit more about how SF works, and that Sakurai is just sharing his appreciation for it on twitter. I don't think there would be much that Sakurai can learn from if this is the case.
Yes, people are overlooking it. It's not a big deal. What's interesting is he is speaking to a few Capcom workers over his Twitter.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Speaking with other industry members is really not that surprising. Whenever you work in a particular field long enought you often make friends with others throughout said industry. It is not always indicative of something grander, mor than likely it is simply personal advice or comments.

OmegaXXII

There's quite a bit he can look at in Street Fighter at the very least. What do I think will be implemented. In terms of commonly seen stuff, I think canceling into specials and supers which would also mean some kind of super would be implemented into Smash that isn't the Final Smash.

If he wants to look at other stuff in terms of character designs, BlazBlue and Guilty Gear are chuck full of some truly unique and amazing that he could use as inspiration for character designs.
Well if you mentions canceling while going into specials and such could mean thatbhe indeed is studying somekind of way to incorporate what SF does and probably implement it into somekind of new smash technique, it could possibly be a "super smash" as you mentioned.

If it's about characters models, hmm..I'm guessing he would look at it as character style design, this may indicate that he may be studying a new style of art and animation as well, let's just hope it relates to some good mechanics.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Speaking with other industry members is really not that surprising. Whenever you work in a particular field long enought you often make friends with others throughout said industry. It is not always indicative of something grander, mor than likely it is simply personal advice or comments.
Yes yes, I know.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I can't see this being about character models. If he wanted that, couldn't he just post some direct feed screenshots?

Aside from what I've mentioned, this could be a sign that he might go and make some of more advanced mechanics and techniques better known where as in the past, you had to find them on your own.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Y'know... Melee's hitboxes were just as, if not more, dynamic that what is shown in that diagram... so I don't imagine Sakurai is intending to imitate SF's hitbox style...

OmegaXXII

That is probably stretching it. Though I will not say it is impossible as Game Arts helped develop Brawl. However, it is extremely unlikely.
Maybe so, they may be involved in some way or another, but seeing as it's just a magazine, I think he may only be looking at it as appreciation I guess, I just found it weird that he would post this on Twitter to probably spark so contreversy, even if that isn't his intention.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Is there a reason he should be admiring Street Fighter's hitboxes? Does Smash not go about that in a SWELL way? I mean, I know on some characters the hitboxes are QUESTIONABLE, but just the hitbox system in general.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well if this does show he has friends at Capcom, that at least means he has some entryway into getting a Capcom character into SSB4.

OmegaXXII

Is there a reason he should be admiring Street Fighter's hitboxes? Does Smash not go about that in a SWELL way? I mean, I know on some characters the hitboxes are QUESTIONABLE, but just the hitbox system in general.
Yeah, I bet alot of folks will be wondering the same thing, it seems Sakurai is making an effort to probably improve it moreso that Brawl turned out to be, I won't complain if the hitboxes turn out to be different, just as long as it's stays within it's Smash boundaries then I guess there won't be much to complain about, at least from my perspective.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Y'know... Melee's hitboxes were just as, if not more, dynamic that what is shown in that diagram... so I don't imagine Sakurai is intending to imitate SF's hitbox style...
IIRC, Melee and Brawl use hit bubbles for some reason.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
They'll drool over it. It's from his summary thing below @Sora_Sakurai, if you're wondering.

OmegaXXII

Just going to post one more thing.

Sakurai's sentence, [...]の両機種で『大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ』の新作を制作予定, states he is looking for new plans (meaning, a "new approach") in the next Smash Bros.
Looks interesting, now you are going to attract all the elitist into this.

*coughibliscough*

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
are hitbubbles interpreted in a 2D plane or a 3D space? Because in a 2D game like Smash Bros, I can't imagine why having hitbubbles in full 3D space is necessary.... or efficient.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Looks interesting, now you are going to attract all the elitist into this.

*coughibliscough*
I'm not 100% fluent in reading Japanese, but the gist of what he's saying states "a new production plan." This could mean a number of things.

Iblis can probably disprove me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
are hitbubbles interpreted in a 2D plane or a 3D space? Because in a 2D game like Smash Bros, I can't imagine why having hitbubbles in full 3D space is necessary.... or efficient.
Well, from we can see, they're just circles, but I think they're called bubbles just because.

My guess is that the hitbubbles are interpreted in a 2D space.

New approach? Ok, now I'm REALLY listening.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I don't mean to drift away from the current discussion but how do you think the roster design'll look? I actually liked the Brawl background more than the Melee one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom