• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
The game is viewed and played in 2D, but everything about the graphics is 3D. The point of having 3D hitbubbles make no sense.
I guess I misintepreted that, I was relating to such a mechanic similar to the Super P. Mario style, y'know where the plane switches from 2D to 3D.

:phone:

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Here's an idea they should try out: Adding bonus features to those who have an "alternate character look."

Let me try to explain: Link, Lucas, and Captain Falcon have alt. looks of "Dark Link," "Claus," and "Blood Falcon" respectively. They should tweak it so that those looks have different qualities. If selected on the character select screen, the announcer would say that character's name. In battle, their voices could be edited to sound differently, and their attacks could have different properties; Dark Link's arrows could have a "Darkness" effect on impact, like Ganondorf's "Warlock Punch," and Blood Falcon's "Falcon Punch" would be a different color. Granted, there is one issue that would be of concern, and that would be a Final Smash attack. Mainly, for the "Blood Falcon" attire; it would have to drive the Blood Hawk instead of the Blue Falcon.

OmegaXXII

Found a hitbox video for Melee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhFfED1ulE&feature=related

I can definitely see why they would opt for hitbubbles instead of boxes, you can wrap them around the animations very well.
Well, if Sakurai is indeed studying this, then I can definetly see him incorporating some of Melee's previous hitbubbles, it's hard to say how all this will turn out as far as style and gameplay goes.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Here's an idea they should try out: Adding bonus features to those who have an "alternate character look."

Let me try to explain: Link, Lucas, and Captain Falcon have alt. looks of "Dark Link," "Claus," and "Blood Falcon" respectively. They should tweak it so that those looks have different qualities. If selected on the character select screen, the announcer would say that character's name. In battle, their voices could be edited to sound differently, and their attacks could have different properties; Dark Link's arrows could have a "Darkness" effect on impact, like Ganondorf's "Warlock Punch," and Blood Falcon's "Falcon Punch" would be a different color. Granted, there is one issue that would be of concern, and that would be a Final Smash attack. Mainly, for the "Blood Falcon" attire; it would have to drive the Blood Hawk instead of the Blue Falcon.
I've had this idea before but it doesn't seem consistent, especially to the little kids who will play the game and won't understand what character is what.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
I've had this idea before but it doesn't seem consistent, especially to the little kids who will play the game and won't understand what character is what.
True.

But I'm looking from a 'roster' perspective; clones yes, but no open spots are taken up, which leaves room for more uniqueness.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
So essentially, alternate character costumes would be exact clones? They would play exactly the same way, but the visual effects and voice would be different?

Hmm...

I can imagine that would anger some people. Having the character "playable," but not actually doing justice to the fact that the character is completely different.

For instance, Blood Falcon's personality isn't the same as Captain Falcon, so if he were a unique, separate character, that would be reflected in the moveset. So an alternate character costume changing everything but moveset is kind of a slap in the face of the fans of those characters....

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I just want a Mr.L and Armored Mewtwo, I guess if they played the same that would work, right?
I think it should just stick to what Brawl is doing now: have exact/similar colors of the character. Optionally symbols can be added (so Mr. L's backwards L).

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
So essentially, alternate character costumes would be exact clones? They would play exactly the same way, but the visual effects and voice would be different?

Hmm...

I can imagine that would anger some people. Having the character "playable," but not actually doing justice to the fact that the character is completely different.

For instance, Blood Falcon's personality isn't the same as Captain Falcon, so if he were a unique, separate character, that would be reflected in the moveset. So an alternate character costume changing everything but moveset is kind of a slap in the face of the fans of those characters....
All true. Well, it was just an idea. Had to suggest it. Figured it'd be fun to see.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think it should just stick to what Brawl is doing now: have exact/similar colors of the character. Optionally symbols can be added (so Mr. L's backwards L).
Good point, plus if they can do it with Ness's Mr. Saturn shirt, anything's possible (to some extent).

OmegaXXII

I guess, as long as it doesn't missrepresent a character than a Brawl style alts would be fine.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad to see that Sakurai is taking inspiration from other games and that he's looking at improving the game in more then just contents. I'm very interested to see how much Street Fighter elements is presented in this game.

@Opelucid (#29719): I think the back ground will have a middle ground between Melee and Brawl, Heck, I think we could very well see Sakurai taking a middle approach in a lot of things.

As for alternate costumes, the only ones I want to see getting ones are Wario, Mario (Dr. Mario), and King K. Rool (Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein).

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I don't mean to drift away from the current discussion but how do you think the roster design'll look? I actually liked the Brawl background more than the Melee one

You talking about menu design? I personally hope it's as far away from any of the past 3 games as possible, as they all looked very mediocre.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
You talking about menu design? I personally hope it's as far away from any of the past 3 games as possible, as they all looked very mediocre.
Do you have an example of what the UI or background should look like? Not a description, but image.

OmegaXXII

I believe he found the SSB64 most appealing, I will have to agree on that, and yes a visual would be nice to look at. =D

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Do you have an example of what the UI or background should look like? Not a description, but image.
I have no specific image on what I think it should look like, because that would require me to make it. =P And I don't really have time to create something of that scale, not to mention actually think it through.

Stuff like simple logos for blog posts and signatures take, like, 30min at the most. Designing a menu takes several days.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here is a new rumor that could impact Smash Bros. This sounds pretty fake but on the off hand chance it could be true I'll still present it.

Could Nintendo be about to reveal a new Fire Emblem title for the Nintendo 3DS? That's the rumour going around this weekend.

Allegedly called Fire Emblem: Blue Sacred Sword and Red Demon Lance, the game is said to take place 100 years after Sealed Sword, with a story revolving around Princess of Kingdom Bern and Prince of Kingdom Lycia, each telling the story from a different perspective.

In addition, the game is said to feature a Casual Mode for newbies and a Lunatic Mode for advanced players.

What do you reckon the chances are of this all being confirmed as true?
http://www.3dsfocus.com/2011/08/fir...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I think it is rubbish, still, it might produce some discussion.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Looks interesting, now you are going to attract all the elitist into this.

*coughibliscough*

*Cracks fingers* Both design of Smash will bring/produce a new work.

I'm not 100% fluent in reading Japanese, but the gist of what he's saying states "a new production plan." This could mean a number of things.

Iblis can probably disprove me.
Read above. Basically expect something new.

I hope the next ssb has a 3D environment to play in instead of flat stages.
No. Shut up. This isn't Power Stone or Dragonball Z.

Found a hitbox video for Melee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhFfED1ulE&feature=related

I can definitely see why they would opt for hitbubbles instead of boxes, you can wrap them around the animations very well.
This.

I have no specific image on what I think it should look like, because that would require me to make it. =P And I don't really have time to create something of that scale, not to mention actually think it through.

Stuff like simple logos for blog posts and signatures take, like, 30min at the most. Designing a menu takes several days.
Make a color scheme I guess.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Star

Well I just looked at what the FE community has to say about it, and they think it's fake.

They say it's coming out of nowhere, FE12 has yet to be fully released and that going back to one of the least popular and finished story lines in FE makes no sense.

Also that it has a dumb name. (too Pokemonish)

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27775

D

Deleted member

Not expecting this to be true, but if it is, the FE13 Lord will almost certainly get the third spot.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well it'd be great if it was true, I could use some more FE. But since it would take place after a game that never even came out here, it's more than likely fake.

Either way, after reading some of the posts from the community, as a member I think I can safely say that Roy isn't very popular in his own series.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
So can at least say "Thank god it's not going to be super bright, hello honey I'm home, look at me now, Wapow!" in my face colors like brawl.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
So can at least say "Thank god it's not going to be super bright, hello honey I'm home, look at me now, Wapow!" in my face colors like brawl.
No matter what I say, it doesn't mean it won't be super bright in your face "Wapow!" =P

Let it be sufficient to say that being a competent artist, I wouldn't come up with a "wishlist" menu interface that has obnoxious colors. =P

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wish a new Fire Emblem game was about to be announced. That would make everything sooo much easier. It's all between Roy, Black Knight, Micaiah, and Caeda (I think I'm forgetting someone?). None of them have a lot of hope except Roy since he was actually in Smash before. BUT IF A NEW GAME WERE ANNOUNCED that would narrow down our choices to one, lol.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A new Fire Emblem sounds like it's too good to be true right now. But if it does come to pass, I'm sure that the main protagonist may be getting some approval.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I wish a new Fire Emblem game was about to be announced. That would make everything sooo much easier. It's all between Roy, Black Knight, Micaiah, and Caeda (I think I'm forgetting someone?). None of them have a lot of hope except Roy since he was actually in Smash before. BUT IF A NEW GAME WERE ANNOUNCED that would narrow down our choices to one, lol.
I think you underestimate the over FE characters except for Micaiah, she does have no chance. :awesome:

Either way, I still think Caeda and BK have the edge over Roy as they have a bit more uniqueness to them, were requested for Brawl (for Caeda in Melee as well), have more relevance and have more popularity in the FE community.

But if the game was announced, you're right it could narrow down the choices a lot. lol

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy is the most requested Fire Emblem newcomer for both the Western and Japanese Smash fanbases. He was also planned for Brawl too. The people suggesting Black Knight and Sheeda are deluded.

As to the rumor about the new Fire Emblem, that is pretty interesting that it takes place a 100 years after Roy's game. The only game the West received in the Elibe arc was FE7, which was basically more of a sidestory in the Elibe arc (with FE6 being the main event, sort of like FE5 to FE4). I think IS would be smarter to have remake FE6 first before releasing a game that likely goes off the consequences of that game's events. However, FE7 was released here without FE6 coming over. Though one of the top guys at IS has expressed interest in remaking FE6 (thought they ultimately decided on remaking Book 2 to FE3).

The source of the rumor is also 2ch. So take it with a huge grain of salt.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
BAH. Roy's only popular because he was already in Smash. He's not popular with the FE fans. No fair. >:I

WHATEVER. Popularity is popularity, lol.

I suppose it's safe to say there will be a third Fire Emblem character, but I kind of hope it isn't Roy. I want to see a new face. >:

I feel Black Knight would be the more interesting choice, and hopefully the possible FE13 lord would be interesting as well.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
BAH. Roy's only popular because he was already in Smash. He's not popular with the FE fans. No fair. >:I

WHATEVER. Popularity is popularity, lol.
FE6 (the one with Roy) is the third-most popular Fire Emblem game in Japan. By contrast, Ike's game (FE9) was the WORST selling one in the entire series in Japan. Heck, it was actually Intelligent Systems that suggested Ike to be in Brawl. Interestingly enough, it was actually Sakurai's idea that Roy was in Melee.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I've heard the GAME is popular, but Roy himself is fairly unpopular (with FE fans).

If that matters at all.

Obviously Roy is popular with the Smash crowd.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I've heard the GAME is popular, but Roy himself is fairly unpopular (with FE fans).
Roy is popular in Japan. The reason why he is disliked by Western FE fans is because he does not slaughter everything on the battlefield like Sigurd, Hector, and Ike do, and does not have boobs like Lyn, Micaiah, and Eirika do.

Roy's problem in FE6 was primarily his absurdly late promotion. If FE6 was ever remade, he will almost assuredly be given a much earlier promotion (probably after Chapter 16 or Chapter 16X).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
HURM. Then I suppose Roy's got it all then, huh?

What happens to Roy (even Ike?) if FE13 were to be far enough in development to LEND A LORD to Smash?

I suppose cutting Ike to gain a Roy and a new lord wouldn't solve any problems would it.

Predicting Fire Emblem characters is as tough as predicting Pokemon characters. >8O

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Meh, I'm fine with any FE character. I just try to go by what I've seen debated on Serenes Forest and some other FE sites.

Either way, it's all up to Sakurai, and thankfully he's a FE fanboy. So FE should finnally get the slot it deserved in Brawl.

Although I still think BK and Caeda/Shiida are still underestimated, but I don't feel like a debate right now so maybe later. But from my standpoint, I see Roy only getting into SSB4 solely on his popularity in Melee.

@ChronoBound

Yeah, you're right about why Roy is hated in the west, although I looked at a poll on SF and Lyn is now seen as the worst lord with Roy behind her. lol

D

Deleted member

HURM. Then I suppose Roy's got it all then, huh?

What happens to Roy (even Ike?) if FE13 were to be far enough in development to LEND A LORD to Smash?

I suppose cutting Ike to gain a Roy and a new lord wouldn't solve any problems would it.

Predicting Fire Emblem characters is as tough as predicting Pokemon characters. >8O
If a FE13 lord that is not Roy gets in Smash, since Marth is guarantee to return, that takes up two spots. Suppose we get three Fire Emblem slots, it will go to either Ike or Roy, but I think Ike is getting in. Roy being a semi-clone in Melee hurts his chances significantly of returning and people are much less comfortable with replacing Ike with Roy then Lucario with Mewtwo due to Roy being a semi-clone. So the only way I see Roy getting in SSB4 easily is if Roy is the FE13 lord (AKA FE6 remake).

However, I don't necessarily think that it's as difficult to predict the third Fire Emblem character as it is to predict who gets the fourth (and maybe fifth/sixth) slot for Pokemon. I can narrow the choices down to Black Knight, Caeda, and Roy for FE, for Pokemon, I think of up to eight possible choices.

Oh and hi Dark_Ermac! Hoping to see you contribute more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom