• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
I know almost nothing about Culdcept. I know it's in Smash. Could you enlighten me on the franchise?
My time has come! :over9000:
Culdcept is a series of card-based video games that is somewhat a mix between Magic the Gathering, Monopoly and Fortune Street. It's basically a video game board game that acts similarly to a card game, with each player having their own deck of cards while moving your characters on a board. That said, there is no IRL Culdcept Board or card game, only the video games. But basically, since no real life cards are used and it's all video games, you can get all of the cards in the game without paying real world money. So think of it as a card game without the hassle of real life money being involved.

That said, the main lore revolves around Creations of Worlds and stuff. Basically, Culdra is the main universal Goddess that created the Universe and the Culcept, a Book of Cards that consist of her power. Unsurprisingly, at some point, one of her Gods rebels against her to use the Culdcept for himself, which causes the cards of the Culdcept to scatter into the world Culdra created. The god is sealed, yet the damage has been done. The denizens find the cards and it is learned some of them can actually use them. They are Cepters, people who can unleash the power of the Culdcept. So of course you have good Cepters and bad Cepters.
Anyway, it was eventually learned that if one can prove themselves, they can become a God in their own right and create a new world. And no, there's no destruction of the old one, it just creates a new world in general. So basically, you have this continuous loop of Gods and New world being made that goes on much like Stars in the Sky and whatnot and it practically becomes a tradition. Even Culdra is cool with it.

Anyway,
-The first Game on PS/Saturn and DS revolves around the Rebel God trying to free themselves and a Cepter tries to help the Staff Goligan who needs your help to stop an incoming threat. The character is your character and uses a premade Avatar that you can select, which can consist of magicians, warriors, elves, barbarians, priests, etc.
-The 2nd Game on Dreamcast and 3DS in Japan and PS2 in the West once again revolves around you, with a new character from a different world, trying to help Goligan, who now follows Culdra, stop the God Gemenigh, who's arrival signifies the end of the entire universe and the destruction of all worlds.
-Saga on Xbox 360 revolves around your character helping the princess Faustina on trying to figure out the significance of the cards, as because the main god of that world did not want to make a God of Order and God of Chaos, the denizens of that world could not learn the significance of the cards and their power, meaning no one knows their importance or what their origin is.
-Lastly, Revolt revolves around the character, who can be named anything but their default name is Allen, who is suffering from amnesia and learns from the Leader of a Rebel group, Alicia, that the city is shut-in by the Count who is forcing everybody to stay in the city and is hunting Cepters and it's your job to find out why he is doing so and who you are.
-Most of the games are in Japan only. The only ones that came over to the West are the PS2 version, Saga and Revolt. Revolt is the latest one due to being on 3DS.

Okay, the stories and lore are done. Now for the game.
-It's a mix of a card game and board game. The board gameplay is similar to Monopoly and Forture Street, but each player uses their own deck of cards that is a mix of Monster cards, Spell cards and Item cards. You go around the board, placing monsters on empty spaces that become your Territories. You can also use them to invade other monsters. You use Spells to damage other monsters, draw cards or whatnot. And you use items to either defend your monsters if they are attacked or use them when invading other monsters.
-That said, you can actually choose not to have monsters, spells or items in your deck. You still need 1 of them for a deck, but there are actually achievements for winning a game without your deck having one of the following categories of monsters, spells or items. Even then, there are some viable decks that don't utilise spells or items.
-On the board, there are areas that you need to get to. Mainly, the Forts and Main Castle. You start on the Castle and you head to the Forts around the map, earning gold from them. Once you reached all of them, you head back to the Castle and get a big bonus of Gold, than start the cycle again.
In Revolt, these were changed to all become Gates. You still have to go around to all of them to collect the bonus. However, you now get the bonus when you just land on all of them, no order required.
-You main objective is to reach the Target Number of Gold Value. Value is determined by your territories, symbols and by the gold you have on hand. Gold you hold is used to summon monsters, use spells and items and to level up territories or change the element of territories.
-Monsters have two stats. HP and ST. It's pretty simple. ST is the component that deals damage and HP is the component that determines whether or not a monster survives an attack. Items mainly increase either HP or ST, besides some having other effects.
-There are 5 Elements of Creatures. Neutral, Fire, Water, Air and Earth. And on the board, empty lands have an element. Except for Neutral Lands, placing a monster on a territory that is the same element as it gives it a Land effect, which is +10 additional HP per level of the territory the monster is on which makes the monster harder to defeat if it's invaded.
That said, Land Effect counts as a separate HP gauge only in battle, so some items and monsters can ignore Land effect HP and Land effect does not prevent damage spells from hitting their regular HP. There's also some spells that can prevent Land effects from happening in battle.
-Besides Neutral Lands, there are two other Lands that affect all Elements, aside from Neutral. Quintessence, a rainbow land that gives Land effect to any Creature on it that isn't Neutral, but they, alongside Neutral Lands, do not give what is called a "Chain", which is an effect where you get more gold value the more Territories of the same element you have. The third unique Land(which I can't remember the name of) changes to the element of the monster that is placed on that land. So placing a Fire monster will make that land Fire and whatnot. Placing a Neutral Monster will make that land a Neutral land.
-Items come in 4 sets. Weapons, Armor, Accessories and Scrolls. It is to be noted that some monsters cannot equip certain items, like some cannot equip weapons, some can't use armor, etc.
That said, besides these items, some monsters have a special ability called "Support" that allows you to use monster cards instead of item cards. It basically takes the monsters' ST and HP and combines it with the support monster and there are a few monsters where they actually give additional effects if used as a Support. This is one of the ways you can play a deck of monsters and spells only and it's actually a viable deck playstyle.
-Spells also come in sets. They consist of Direct effects and Curses. Direct effects are like Direct damage spells, healing spells, spells that draw cards, etc. They do the one effect and that's it. Curses put effects on monsters, Cepters and even the map that either last for a certain number of turns or sometimes indefinitely depending on the Curse card. For Curses that stay indefinitely, there are a few ways of getting rid of it.
  1. Switch out the monster and replace it with one from your hand.
  2. Use a Spell card that removes Curses or applies a different Curse onto them, as only one Curse can be applied.
  3. You can move the monster off the space to remove the Curse, but if your Territory is a high level, not only will you lose value by moving the monster off, but you risk it getting taken by another player.
  4. For Curse cards against Cepters and the Map, there are no permanent Curse Spell cards. All Curses on the Cepters and Map only last for a limited number of turns, but once again, you can use your own Curse cards to replace a curse on a player or the map. So you can take away a beneficial curse off another player and give them a negative one or you can take away a negative curse on you and replace it with a beneficial one.
-When it comes to getting Gold that you can use, your goal is to around the map to the forts and castles/Gates or to try to get it from your opponents. To do that, you either use Spell cards that steal it from them or get them to land on your territories. When they land on your territories, they either have to defeat your monster or pay a toll to you. This becomes a big problem with lands that are higher level, which can make your opponent pay more than 1000 or even 3000 G. There are spells and items can make the toll either halved or prevent toll from being taken.

And yeah, you have Avatars. In Saga, they are customizable due to the 3D graphics, but in the 2D ones, they use Template Avatars, like Magicians, Warriors, Angels, Elves, etc. And Kenji Ito, music maker for Final Fantasy Adventure music, the GB and SNES Saga games and the one who did the F-Zero Mute City Smash 4 remix, does music across the whole series. I believe he even did the entire PS2 soundtrack. And yes, the series has pretty good music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEEPNJqWxgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe9dQz9LoC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE2A-pdKfl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feKOs5-9Iek&list=PLFjraMRoehsh3bTyCJmxVPOOg8OFn4TQ3&index=11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRI9qG8XDk0&index=12&list=PLFjraMRoehsh3bTyCJmxVPOOg8OFn4TQ3

Typing this, it doesn't seem to be too impressive, but watching gameplay or playing definitely makes a better opinion. But it is really hard to find gameplay as Culdcept, despite being around since PS1, is a niche popularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdkHmjDimMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DbBDDRsoUU
The Youtuber on the bottom vid has done a number of Online matches and whatnot if you want to see Revolt in action and there are videos for Saga and the PS2 version if you try to look them up.
If you want to learn more about the games and see the cool Card artwork and Avatars that the games have, go here:
http://www.culdceptcentral.com/

For Revolt, Avatars and characters can be found here.
http://www.culdceptcentral.com/culdcept-revolt/culdcept-revolt-guides/ranks-avatars-covers-dice
And Card artwork and effects can be found here:
http://www.culdceptcentral.com/culd...card-lists/culdcept-revolt-complete-card-list

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
There was that one poster in the old thread who plugged so hard for Nahobino he could jump start a semi.
Oh my god the guy who thought fighters pass 2 only existed so nahobino could be put in the game 💀

I thought he was pretty likely at the time (I still think an SMT rep is one of the most likely third-parties, but I know I'm biased), but like, that was genuinely the weirdest / worst theory I've ever seen here.

I forgot that guy even existed...

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I was watching gameplay videos of the Parodius series (I have one game of the series) and I was thinking:"What if the guys that made this series were put to work on the next Super Smash Bros.? What if the next Super Smash Bros. could reach that level of wackyness?" But then I remembered Super Mario Bros. wonder is already promising to be as wacky as well, so I'm hoping this team, or at least some of its member, will be working on the next Smash Bros.
I really want another story mode like Subspace Emissary but much less serious, borderline stupid maybe but funny and filled of antics. Like Yoshi and Kirby fighting over food.

Stratos

Smash Ace
In the next Super Smash Bros. it will logically have a stage based on Super Mario Bros. Wonder where it will also have an alternate form from the Wonder Flower. Of course this is a theory, but not unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Little next to nothing we know about Super Mario. Bros. Wonder, so it's still premature to make assumptions about that game.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I was watching gameplay videos of the Parodius series (I have one game of the series) and I was thinking:"What if the guys that made this series were put to work on the next Super Smash Bros.? What if the next Super Smash Bros. could reach that level of wackyness?" But then I remembered Super Mario Bros. wonder is already promising to be as wacky as well, so I'm hoping this team, or at least some of its member, will be working on the next Smash Bros.
I really want another story mode like Subspace Emissary but much less serious, borderline stupid maybe but funny and filled of antics. Like Yoshi and Kirby fighting over food.
The only thing I want to focus on that involves Parodius and Smash is shilling the Octopus family as the only realistic way that Gradius and its subseries could do in terms of having playable representation.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
The only thing I want to focus on that involves Parodius and Smash is shilling the Octopus family as the only realistic way that Gradius and its subseries could do in terms of having playable representation.
what if they added the Vic Viper mech from Zone of the Enders

they wouldn't but what if

Geno Boost

Smash Master
is there a "summoner" type of character you guys want in smash? most of the time we get brawler or swordfighter or gunner but what do you think of summoner type?
forgot to mention mine but if i had to go with summoner type of fighter it would be space invaders
there are other picks such as SMT protagonist and Boss Galaga which can work in that playstyle

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So.... What are your thoughts on Bravely Default getting some major representation in the next Smash game?

I'm getting some Banjo/Bayonetta vibes. It's a third party franchise that Nintendo has taken some immense interest in.
i'd love to see tiz in smash but i aint happening

also i'm curious about what you mean by nintendo taking an immense interest in BD

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Oh my god the guy who thought fighters pass 2 only existed so nahobino could be put in the game 💀

I thought he was pretty likely at the time (I still think an SMT rep is one of the most likely third-parties, but I know I'm biased), but like, that was genuinely the weirdest / worst theory I've ever seen here.

I forgot that guy even existed...
Eh, there are worse things from this site to remember...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
In the next Super Smash Bros. it will logically have a stage based on Super Mario Bros. Wonder where it will also have an alternate form from the Wonder Flower. Of course this is a theory, but not unlikely to happen.
Little next to nothing we know about Super Mario. Bros. Wonder, so it's still premature to make assumptions about that game.
Oh come on, it’s Mario. You really think Smash isn’t gonna have a stage based on one of their new games? Especially if Wonder does well.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For anybody who cares, update on the ActiBlizz buyout: it looks likes Microsoft is going to divest ActiBlizz's cloud gaming streaming to Ubisoft for the next 15 years at least. That means if you don't live in places like the US or UK and want to play ActiBlizz games via cloud, you'll need a Ubisoft+ subscription most likely.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think the best pick for a summoner character would be the
Vigorous
Diligent
Overwhelming
Gorgeous
Passionate
Terrifying
Beautiful
Powerful
Smashing
GREY PRINCE ZOTE

He could be a superheavy with an emphasis on summoning Zotelings to coordinate attacks, such as ones that hop, fly or explode.

He can also have the unique property of being the only superheavy to be able to attack and move at the same time, like Mega Man and Steve.

Come on guys, you know you want him.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
For anybody who cares, update on the ActiBlizz buyout: it looks likes Microsoft is going to divest ActiBlizz's cloud gaming streaming to Ubisoft for the next 15 years at least. That means if you don't live in places like the US or UK and want to play ActiBlizz games via cloud, you'll need a Ubisoft+ subscription most likely.
Obligatory image:

IMG_6697.jpeg
Edit: From what I have been reading, it’s a worldwide deal, not just for the US or UK.

MS would still own the IPs

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think the best pick for a summoner character would be the
Vigorous
Diligent
Overwhelming
Gorgeous
Passionate
Terrifying
Beautiful
Powerful
Smashing
GREY PRINCE ZOTE

He could be a superheavy with an emphasis on summoning Zotelings to coordinate attacks, such as ones that hop, fly or explode.

He can also have the unique property of being the only superheavy to be able to attack and move at the same time, like Mega Man and Steve.

Come on guys, you know you want him.
I have no idea who that is but I love the enthusiasm so yes! LFG!!

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I could see it happening, though it may depend on if Team Asano is still relevant come next Smash. With how inconsistant Square Enix can be, it's a little hard to tel
i'd love to see tiz in smash but i aint happening

also i'm curious about what you mean by nintendo taking an immense interest in BD
I think we'll get a Octopath rep before we get a Bravely rep tbh.
I know Octopath has the issue of "Everyone is the main character"/ "Everyone is equally important", so most people don't think it's happening.
But i don't think it's completely out of the question, after all, we got Min Min over any other ARMS character and they were all equally important acording to the director...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Sometimes, wishes have a higher priority than others due to its relevance, popularity and/or history behind them. Which can lead to interesting results......
If none of them, then it is likely for marketing purposes only.
1000011095.jpg

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
Sometimes, wishes have a higher priority than others due to its relevance, popularity and/or history behind them. Which can lead to interesting results......
If none of them, then it is likely for marketing purposes only.
View attachment 376544
I dunno what that Eggman picture has to do with what you said but with that being said, may I once again lament that Eggman wasn’t a DLC fighter in Vol. 2?

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The Sonic franchise has been stuck with just one fighter for way too long. We need at least Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, and Shadow as an echo before I'll be satisfied.
While another Sonic character is something I can get behind, I think all that is way too much for one 3rd party franchise. For SSBU at least, I would’ve done either Shadow as an Echo or Eggman as a DLC fighter, if not both.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
While another Sonic character is something I can get behind, I think all that is way too much for one 3rd party franchise. For SSBU at least, I would’ve done either Shadow as an Echo or Eggman as a DLC fighter, if not both.
I would rather have Shadow as a semi-clone with a unique moveset.

Having him regulated to a measly Echo would be a wasteful of potential.

DynamicSmasher

Smash Cadet
Every single Smash mod in existence be like:
Reminds me of how Super Smash Flash 1 back in the day had Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Super Sonic and then 2 OCs(Blade and Blue). Even as a Sonic loving 8 year old, I thought that was kind of overkill.

I would rather have Shadow as a semi-clone with a unique moveset.

Having him regulated to a measly Echo would be a wasteful of potential.
Echo is kind of a broad term though. He could be as unique as Ken is, maybe even a bit more so, as long as he kept some aspects the same(like height, weight and speed, which would likely stay around the same as Sonic's anyway)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
none of them brave enough to make eggman custom moves
At least he’s ported over three different characters in Ultimate (modern Eggman over Ganondorf, Toon Robotnik over Wario, and Eggman in his Egg Mobile over ROB). No moveset yet but Ultimate is just starting to come out with new custom movesets so give it time.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The Sonic franchise has been stuck with just one fighter for way too long. We need at least Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, and Shadow as an echo before I'll be satisfied.
I think bringing them to 6 reps is probably the last thing Nintendo would do... Actually Sega would prolly not go for it either. Unless it's Nintendo x Sega (not opposed to this).

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think bringing them to 6 reps is probably the last thing Nintendo would do... Actually Sega would prolly not go for it either. Unless it's Nintendo x Sega (not opposed to this).
Fair enough. Never said it was realistic, just what I’d personally like.

Still think we need at least two more Sonic reps. If I had to choose and say Tails and Eggman or Shadow.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
At least he’s ported over three different characters in Ultimate (modern Eggman over Ganondorf, Toon Robotnik over Wario, and Eggman in his Egg Mobile over ROB). No moveset yet but Ultimate is just starting to come out with new custom movesets so give it time.
sadly he suffers same issue as porky no one can agree on a move set for them in smash community

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Fair enough. Never said it was realistic, just what I’d personally like.

Still think we need at least two more Sonic reps. If I had to choose and say Tails and Eggman or Shadow.
Do you count ATs? Maybe Knuckles gets promoted and Eggman a boss and introduce Tails as a new assist and yeah totally make Shadow an echo...

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
honestly I'd be lying if I said I didn't have misgivings with how much this community obsesses over getting as much Sonic content as possible. I get that it's a huge series with a beloved cast, and I get that it's been somewhat poorly served by its Smash representation, and I do have personal biases that majorly factor into how much this upsets me, but I always get this feeling of like.....I guess entitlement? from the calls for Sonic to get like 4 more characters or whatever. I have a hard time putting my finger on it but I just don't like it

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Okay so

Capcom, Sega, Konami and Microsoft.

You can UP their playable fighters to 6 reps. Who do you choose? Keep in mind existing reps count so unless you cut say Bayo you'd have 3 picks for Sega...

Top Bottom