• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Next Tournament: Not scheduled.
Pre-registrations: < add here >
We're in the downstairs / bowling alley function room. Any staff should be able to help you if you ask for "Sydney Smash" or anything "game tournament" related.

Sydney Smash - Home of the Boost Tournament Series<hr size="1" style="color:; background-color:" />Boost tournaments are held in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, and is the New South Wales region's most regular tournament. It's attendees hail from all across NSW; including the Hunter Valley (Newcastle), A.C.T (Canberra) and that dark place west of me (sometimes known as tedeth land). We also regularly attract out of state attendees from Victoria, Queensland and South Australia. Our brawl scene is probably the most competitive in the country, and our melee scene is growing stronger alongside it. If you want to meet new people (who I can assure you are mostly all awesome) and/or get better at smash (by playing said people), becoming apart of our scene may be one of the most fun and fulfilling hobbies you've ever had!

A lot of our tournament videos are recorded and uploaded to youtube. If you want to see videos of us play:
My youtube channel (lots of brawl videos/some melee) S.D's youtube channel (all the melee vids!)

Our events are held at a bowling alley, which as apart of giving us the venue (and setting up/cleaning it) for such a low price expect us to buy food/drinks there. The venue management won't allow us to continue to use the venue if people bring in outside food/drink.

<table id="b_menu" class="tborder" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="2" border="0" width="200"><tr class="alt1"><td colspan="3">Boost Menu
<table cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr><td><a href="#b_venue">- Venue Information</a>
<a href="#b_transport">- Transport</a>
<a href="#b_events">- Events Info</a>
<a href="#b_schedule">- Schedule</a>
<a href="#b_new">- New?</a></td></tr></table></td></tr><tr class="alt2"><td colspan="3">Community Portal
<table cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr><td>- Western Sydney
- Hunter Valley
- A.C.T.
Brawl PR Melee PR</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" id="b_venue" width="100%"><tr><td align="left">Venue Information</td><td align="right"><a href="#b_menu">[ Top ]</a></td></tr></table><hr size="1" style="color:; background-color:" />Boost tournaments are held in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, about 10-15 minutes drive from the City (8 minutes or so train from central) and about 10 minutes from the Sydney domestic airport.

Manhattan Super Bowl & The New Market Hotel
549 Gardeners Road, Mascot NSW 2020
PARKING AVAILABLE VIA TRAMWAY STREET; ALL DAY FOR FREE
Google Maps Link
If you're driving, refer to the Google Maps link, if you go west slightly you'll see Gardeners Road connects shortly from the Princes Highway.

Alternate Activities
- The tournaments are held next to/in a bowling alley. If you're an attendant of the tournament, it is only $7 a game.
- There is also a gaming arcade on the same floor as the alley.
- At the hotel, there is a pub/bar*.

Please note that any person must have ID and be over the age of 18 to drink/buy alcohol. No alcohol is to be brought into the gaming room and you may be removed from the venue without refund if you become problematic. Please be aware that minors attend and it is expected you are responsible (like, not drinking until after you are out of the tournament?)

Food Options
Along with any food you wish to purchase (there's things like box of chips with a hotdog for like $6) at the bowling alley or hotel (bistro), attendees can get the following meals for only $10. You purchase a voucher at the beginning of the day and redeem it at the bistro at lunch time.
  • 250g Grain fed Rump steak w/one side (chips, salad, mash or vegetables)
  • Beef Burger and Chips
  • Beer Battered Flathead Fillets and Chips
  • Basil and Ricotta Gnocchi
  • Chicken Caesar Salad
  • Margarita Pizza
  • Ham and Pineapple Pizza
  • Lamb Wrap and Chips

<table border="0" id="b_transport" width="100%"><tr><td align="left">Transport Options</td><td align="right"><a href="#b_menu">[ Top ]</a></td></tr></table><hr size="1" style="color:; background-color:" />Please refer to the following "map" for transport stops (Buses or the train station)

Train
Mascot train station is located on Bourke Road (left side of map). It is about 10 minutes walk to the venue. The train is on the airport line and travels through the city and many other locations. It is regularly arriving every 15 minutes. However as the station is privately owned, there is a larger than normal surcharge for the station.

Buses
There are an abundance of different bus routes that come within walking distance from the venue. To find further information on routes, please look at www.131500.info
Also for those wishing to reduce costs, taking a bus from the city in the morning will allow you to avoid the extra surcharge on train tickets to Mascot. After 5-6pm on Sunday, Mascot Train Station will have their gates open (P.S. Have an already valid return train ticket so you can get out in the city/elsewhere; you don't want to get done in for fare evasion).

In terms of walking distance after disembarking from your mode of transport:
309, 310, 20 > 343 > 400 > Mascot Train Station > 301, 303

<table class="tborder" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" align="center"><tr><td class="thead" style="font-weight:normal; border: 1px solid">Bus Route</td><td class="thead" style="font-weight:normal; border: 1px solid ; border-left: 0px">Frequency</td><td class="thead" style="font-weight:normal; border: 1px solid ; border-left: 0px">Locations</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid ; border-top: 0px;">
(BLACK DOT)​
</td><td class="alt1" style="border-right: 1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid">Bondi: 20min (7am-5pm),
30min after
Burwood: 20min (7am-6pm),
40 min after</td><td class="alt2" style="border-right: 1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid">Bondi Junction, Randwick, Kingsford, Maroubra, Mascot
Burwood, Croydon, Campsie, Earlwood, Bexley, Rockdale, Arncliffe, Mascot
Note: If coming from Bondi, ensure the bus doesn't terminate at Eastgardens
Get off at Coward St (near Oliver)</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid ; border-top: 0px;">
309 / 310
(BLUE DOT)​
</td><td class="alt1" style="border-right: 1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid">Each route alternates
every 15min</td><td class="alt2" style="border-right: 1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid">Circular Quay (Stand D), Sydney City, Surry Hills, Redfern, Zetland, Rosebery, Mascot
Buses alter routes after Mascot.
Get off at Gardeners Road (corner Botany)</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid ; border-top: 0px;">
(BLUE DOT)​
</td><td class="alt1" style="border-right: 1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid">20min
(stops at 8pm)</td><td class="alt2" style="border-right: 1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid">Bus goes through the Northern Suburbs, Sydney City (Museum Station) and then similar to 309/310
Note: Prepaid only route
Get off at Gardeners Road (corner Botany)</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid ; border-top: 0px;">
(ORANGE DOT)​
</td><td class="alt1" style="border-right: 1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid">20min (9am-5pm)
30min after</td><td class="alt2" style="border-right: 1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid">NEAR MUSEUM STATION, Sydney City, Surry Hills, Redfern, Waterloo, Zetland, Rosebery, Mascot
Get off at Dunning Avenue near Gardeners</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid ; border-top: 0px; border-bottom: 0px">
301 / 303
(GREEN DOT)​
</td><td class="alt1" style="border-right: 1px solid ">Individually 1hour
30min alternating</td><td class="alt2" style="border-right: 1px solid ">Circular Quay (Stand D), 301 only Rosebery Dalmeny Avenue (purple dot), Mascot
King Street is slightly further down Botany Road than the map shows.
Get off at King Street near Botany Road</td></tr></table>

<table border="0" id="b_events" width="100%"><tr><td align="left">Events Information (inc. Pricing and Prizes)</td><td align="right"><a href="#b_menu">[ Top ]</a></td></tr></table><hr size="1" style="color:; background-color:" />For entry to any tournament event, there is a required venue fee, which is $5.
All prize payouts are dependant on the size of the pot (which is the event's entry fee times the number of entrants).

Brawl Tournaments:
Brawl Singles (1v1) - $5 entry.
Payouts are generally 50/25/15/10 (First to fourth). Depending on number of entrants: 60/30/10 (little) | 44/26/14/8/4/4 (a lot)

Brawl Doubles (2v2) - $10 entry ($5 per person).
Payouts are normally 70/30 (First team/second team). If larger number of teams: 60/30/10.
Click here for the brawl ruleset.

Melee Tournaments:
Melee Singles (1v1) - $5 entry.
Payout is 60/30/10 (first to third).

Melee Doubles (2v2) - Note: often not played unless there is time for it. Entry fee is sometimes free on the day
Payout is variable on the day.
Click here for the melee ruleset.

<table border="0" id="b_schedule" width="100%"><tr><td align="left">Schedule</td><td align="right"><a href="#b_menu">[ Top ]</a></td></tr></table><hr size="1" style="color:; background-color:" />Venue opens at 10am, and the latest we can stay is around 11:30pm.

10:00am - Doors open (setting up)
10:15am - Registration for tournaments
ASAP - Melee Singles (or either Brawl doubles or brawl singles pools)
01:00pm - Estimate time for lunch. A person can now order lunch at any time, and is it recommended to go for lunch if you no longer have any matches to be played in a currently running event. Leeway of about 30-45 minutes is given for players to return once the majority have gone to lunch.
08:00pm - Most events at the tournament concluded (most often it is only finals that remain).

<table border="0" id="b_new" width="100%"><tr><td align="left">New to the scene?</td><td align="right"><a href="#b_menu">[ Top ]</a></td></tr></table><hr size="1" style="color:; background-color:" />For all frequently asked questions/required information!

Hi, and welcome. I'm commonly known as Shaya or "JP" to those in the scene. I'm 20 and am studying Engineering at the University of New South Wales. I've been running smash tournaments since September 2008. Feel free to email/add me on msn (kingshaya@gmail.com) any questions you may have (please introduce yourself/tell me who you are when we talk!). If you need to get into contact with me on the day of a tournament (lost or something) call me on 0425 290 330.

Our scene consists of people from the ages of 15 studying in High School, up to those in their mid twenties either working or continuing their studies themselves. Often "younger brothers" will come along who are too young for me to tell (lol)! And as already implied our locations we're travelling from are from throughout NSW and ACT - to give you an idea of our demographics. Either way, we're mostly all of the same age group, and you'll most likely find people of your age at attendance. If you have parents who are worried about things and are hesitant to let you come to these events, I am very happy to talk to them for you to ease their fears.

If my tournaments are one of the first you're going to (new to the scene or not) please make sure you introduce yourself to me and others! The best thing you can do is get to know as many people as possible! When you arrive, find me, and I'll point you in the right direction to get started, so don't be shy :). Chances are there may be someone who is your age and/or lives near you who shares your passion for the game!

Please bring your own controller when coming to the tournament! Whether that be a gamecube one or a wii mote gizmo. If you're able to bring equipment (Televisions and Consoles [Wii/Gamecubes] with brawl/melee) that would be VERY appreciated. Every set up we have is brought in from someone in the scene themselves, and this patronage is required for our tournaments to run successfully!

Our melee tournaments are run by Sam (S.D) who you can feel free to email/talk to on msn as well (fishmister_49@hotmail.com). He is generally the goto guy for anything melee question related.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Brawl Ruleset

Base Rule Set (Singles & Doubles)
- 3 stock, 8 minute timer, items set to "off" and none
- The winner in the case of a time out is decided by STOCK first, then PERCENT.
- No stage may be reselected in a set by a player who has already won on it, unless agreed by both players.
- Controller Port disputes are decided by rock paper scissors (best of one).
- Player(s) may choose a port to use on their counter pick.
- Meta Knight's Dimension Cape Extending (infinite or otherwise) is banned; player's caught can be disqualified from the match and/or set.
- Games ending in suicide moves THAT KILL BOTH PLAYERS AT THE SAME TIME (Bowser's Side B, Ganon's Side B, Dedede/Kirby Neutral B) have the initiater of the move win the match; ignoring winner's screen or sudden death. Inhale only initiates sudden death if used properly, so winner's screen if it occurs is the decider.
- Players are responsible for their own controllers and controller set ups.
- Stalling is banned*
- Homebrew/Modded Wii usage is of their owner's responsibility to conform to standards. Players have the right to refuse playing with file replacement hacks on.**
- Sets are best of three, or best of five in Winner's Final, Loser's Final and Grand Final(s).

Set format:
Opponents choose their characters (blind picks may be called for if requested)
Opponents stage strike and pick to play the resulting stage. The first person to strike is decided by the player with the lowest control port.
Counterpicking process: Winner bans stage (neutral/CP) -> Loser picks stage (neutral/CP) -> Winner picks character -> Loser picks character

* Stalling is the act of deliberate avoiding of conflict that makes the game unplayable. Avoiding conflict whilst the player is LOSING (stock/percent) can be considered stalling.
Repeated ledge grabs is not considered stalling. However, staying on the ledge when there is no immediate danger to you (and you aren't attacking) as to allow you to continue the fight onstage may be called for stalling and excessive amounts may invoke forfeits. Pausing the game for anything other than serious reasons, or not informing the opponent first can have the game forfeitted.

** There are many brawl hacks readily available to use. It is the owner's responsibility they conform to these standards:
- They do NOT alter game play, characters abilities nor stage design (i.e. brawl+ stuff).
- Texture hacks and music replacement must not make the game 'unplayable', nor uncomfortable to players (heavily flashy stages, horrible music, textures that make the character hard to see, etc.) -> Players have the right to have the SD card removed to not allow these in play for the set.
The following codes are approved of use:
~ Infinite Replay Time codes
~ RANDOM TRIPPING OFF (DISCUSS!)
~ File Replacement Codes (with ease to remove them via the SD card)
~ Custom Character/Stage Screens which do not: remove characters/add new ones.
~ Game Rule Modifiers (that conform to current rules, 3 stock, 8 minute timer, etc)
~ OTHERS?

Standard Stage List:

STARTER (3)
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Smashville

Counterpick (10)
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Pictochat
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 1

Singles Subset:
- Pool/prebracket sets:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl) moved to STARTER
Player's strike one stage each.
Sets are two matches played once each on the remainding two stages.
n.b. Bracket Matches are best of 3/5, as normal (3 starters).
- LEDGE GRAB RULE:
In the case of a time out, before stock/percent are considered, Ledge Grabs are viewed (in the end screen).
If one of the players have more than TWENTY-FIVE (25) ledge grabs, that player forfeits the match.
If both have over 25, stock/percent are considered normally.

Doubles Subset:
- Life Stealing is allowed
- Team Attack set to ON
- Teams get TWO stage bans.
- Port Selection in teams are in 1221 format.
- Additional stages in doubles play (counter picks):
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium 2
Green Greens
Hanenbow
Corneria
Norfair
Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise

Bjay

Smash Lord
At this point in time we gotta be realistic, at how many we'd expect if something like this were to happen. I really personally think it's going to be a slow/small start (gotta start somewhere though), so nothing too much for the scene would be okay.

Despite the growth, S3 is still relatively small compared to other states.

So yeah, Roundhouse is definitely out of the question.

jamus

Smash Apprentice
This idea sounds awesome. I live in Wollongong and I know at least two of my mates here and two who go to UNSW uni would love to participate in a smash tournament.

Hopefully there will be enough interest for this tournament to happen.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay guys, here's the good news.

My FREE VENUE is confirmed.

It's the k17 building block at UNSW.

Dates are unknown, just get yourselves ready, we may be able to have one as early as this or next weekend? hahaha.

My 2nd post I made in the thread (the reserve), I'll be posting up my "tournament rules", at least a draft which we can discuss and what have you.

Zero

Smash Hero
I could probably bring a few friends from the Hunter Valley up here once every month or two, sounds like a great plan.

S.D

Smash Master
Shaya!

Nice initiative - I like your resolve on infinites too and as you're a marth main i respect that.

More smash sounds like fun - seems Fork has some ideas of his own too.

Sounds like there's a fair few things to be nutted out - like the rankings thing. Also the words single elim hurt my eyes.

Jamus - you dont understand what youve just done for Turtle

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay, due to much hate from the universe, no single elimination.

Also my idea for rankings:
STOLEN FROM PRO TENNIS CIRCUIT COZ I LOVE TENNIS.

3 month cyclical ranking system. The '3' can be become anything through debate, really open to this. If I'm thinking of having 2 biggies a year, a 6 month period may be adequate.

This means:
Month 1, you come first.
Month 2, you come second.
Month 3, you don't show up.
At the end of month 3 let's say you're ranked 3rd.
Month 4, let's say you don't show up again. (HORRIBLE HORRIBLE PERSON YOU ARE, GO TO HELL)
Your 'ranking' has you set at one appearance of second place and two misses. Let's say you will be ranked 8th or something. Your first place in month 1 is now ignored. This is the case of a 3 month cycle, any longer and as you can see it's not overly complicated.

Points per tournament?
Well, you tell me.

SUGGEST SUGGEST.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I'm not too fond of the Chain Grabbing idea, personally. I won't get into my reasoning until we're actually discussing rulesets and such, but I just want to put forth that there will probably be people like me who don't agree with it.

Other than that, I'm all for this, 100% of the way. It's fantastic that you took the time to look into something like this even with school and such going on; I was actually wondering about another tourney and hoping school didn't mean it'd be a while before the next one.

Hurr, I won't be able to go this saturday if the first one is then, though, sadly. Going up to Maitland to kick Zero's *** (expect videos :D). Although, speaking of schedules, I wonder how well this will mesh with the upcoming biweeklies; hopefully they won't clash.

Regardless, this is awesome.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a UNSW'er (I go to Macquarie) Is this open to all? or only UNSW students?

I'm really interested in attending.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Of course it is open to all.

Even though I may have to sell it to the BOSS's that it is a UNSW mainly thing.

But when asked "what type of person is this event aimed for?"

I replied:
Anyone from highschoolers to mid 20ers, university students, workers".

BTW DID ANYONE SEE THE SECRET INTENTION BEHIND THE REST OF THIS POST STARTING NOW:
Registration requirements (ON THE DAY OF THE TOURNAMENT: NO NEED TO 'pre-register')
- Full Name
- Mobile phone number (please bring a mobile phone, people who don't have one will need to provide something)
- Where you're from. I'll be asking simple questions about your demographics. Such as:
a) Where are you from (Sydney East/west?)
b) Where are you studying/What are you studying/otherwise are you working?

faux crews

So Sylvan, bring your macquirie friends.
Welcome to the boards.

Gords

Smash Champion
great idea shaya,
I also go to unsw so if you need any assistance with dealing with the uni dont hesitate to ask.
dont really know what else i can do though.

also i think it wont really interfer with the bi weeklies either , even so i think it would be a great idea if the bi weeklies were at the tornies everynow and then if the were to clash anyway.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
Meh, what the heck. I normally don't give out info over the net. But if I'm going there in person. May as well XD

EDIT: Sent in PM

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
I think a better way instead of posting it all online would be to email it to you Shaya...much safter imo

S.D

Smash Master
I'm not too fond of the Chain Grabbing idea, personally. I won't get into my reasoning until we're actually discussing rulesets and such, but I just want to put forth that there will probably be people like me who don't agree with it.

Other than that, I'm all for this, 100% of the way. It's fantastic that you took the time to look into something like this even with school and such going on; I was actually wondering about another tourney and hoping school didn't mean it'd be a while before the next one.

Hurr, I won't be able to go this saturday if the first one is then, though, sadly. Going up to Maitland to kick Zero's *** (expect videos :D). Although, speaking of schedules, I wonder how well this will mesh with the upcoming biweeklies; hopefully they won't clash.

Regardless, this is awesome.
Chain grabs are ok, infinites are not.

Going to play Zero in Maitland? Where was my invite :p

Dedu

Smash Lord
true that.

unless the person you're chatting to is really a pedobear.
In that case give him the pedostamp and tell everyone about it!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Clarification: I didn't mean to send those details to me now to pre-register.
Even though indications of interest are great; no need to send me those things now.

On the day of the tournament I'll be stealing your mobile phone numbers as a ways of keeping contact with you on the day. Example: Your match is meant to be going; no one can find you. I'll probably double ring and hang up to inform you get your *** down here.

Names I think are reasonably justified.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Chain grabs are ok, infinites are not.

Going to play Zero in Maitland? Where was my invite :p
I understand about the infinites; I merely used "Chain Grabbing" as a blanket term to cover everything Shaya was talking about in the first post. My point here is simply that I don't like how they're being handled in some cases, not that they're being singled out or whatever. Obviously this is something that can be discussed, though; as Shaya said in the first post, this is all negotiable, and as I said earlier, I intend to present my reasoning when the discussion turns to tournament rules.

Anyway, about Maitland. Don't feel bad, it's just friends getting together to play games and such (I know Zero personally), although I believe there is some kind of Newcastle smashfest being talked about. You're probably better off PMing Zero for details about that though: he's organising it and I'm not sure of the details.

S.D

Smash Master
I understand about the infinites; I merely used "Chain Grabbing" as a blanket term to cover everything Shaya was talking about in the first post. My point here is simply that I don't like how they're being handled in some cases, not that they're being singled out or whatever. Obviously this is something that can be discussed, though; as Shaya said in the first post, this is all negotiable, and as I said earlier, I intend to present my reasoning when the discussion turns to tournament rules.

Anyway, about Maitland. Don't feel bad, it's just friends getting together to play games and such (I know Zero personally), although I believe there is some kind of Newcastle smashfest being talked about. You're probably better off PMing Zero for details about that though: he's organising it and I'm not sure of the details.
Haha I was just kidding bout the invite :p

Yeah there's a hunter valley smash thread where we've been discussing it, should be good fun.

I think that as long as it isn't infinite, chain throws are fine, but as you say - something to be discussed when rules are being drawn up.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Haha, I know, it's just that I was still kinda in formality-mode when I got to writing the meet bit, so it kinda came off wrong but I wasn't bothered fixing it. :p

ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I have updated the first post a bit.

I'll be probably updating it constantly.

I'll probably post everytime I change something though.

I will be blunt about tournament rules:
FOR THE FIRST TOURNAMENT I WANT TO KEEP IT REALLY SIMPLE. KISS SIMPLE. (YES REPEAT REPEAT).

Any of my whacky ideas for rules and **** will probably be HELD BACK. I want the first to be as least complicated as possible.

I may even instigate some rules as forceful without much discussion.

Everythings hopefully being planned for the 9th of August.
I am waiting for a reply to see whether I have the room or not.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay the 9th of august has been rejected, already.

However, all hope is not lost.
For the time being Sunday is the only viable day of the week these tournaments can be run until AFTER the 13th of September.

I think we can afford to host just one tournament, and then await until the huffle and buffle of this is over.

The only other problem:
For Sundays, we'd have to be pretty much gone by 5pm. So for one tournament that I'd be happy to host on a sunday would have to start early and finish early so theres time to pack up.

- One sunday tournament to get the ball rolling. A bit short on time (Id say start at 10 and go to 4 IS sufficient for a singles tournament).

Then the next tournament will hopefully be a saturday and ALL DAY.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
That sounds like a good idea, keep it simple for the first time. Then once there's a better understanding on whats going on, upgrade it to suit.

Gords

Smash Champion
if that building is going to be difficult to host the tornies in, why dont we look for somewhere else. I cant believe that they (K17 & Roundhouse) are the only biuldings we can hire right through out campus.

if you want Shaya i can help look around campus and make inquiries as well to see if we can find a better more consistant location. What kind of space/how many peolpe do you want to accomedate for? and what other resources are you after ,apart from the obvious tables and power points.
And also how are you approaching the people in charge of the rooms?

if you want you can PM if you dont want others to see whats exactly is going behind the scenes.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Gords, I did a lot of running around and this venue is the only one which I can consider free for usage.
FREEEEE.

I believe it is sufficient in size as well for the time being.

There is a 3rd avenue, which is the FM Assist, but they were very blunt that
a) No money can be charged to the people going
b) A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE ROUNDHOUSE.

Any 4th option (as in if you are a student at UNSW who is able to convince some nice person who runs a whole 'school' to lend you a room), get back to me.

Anyway, I'm at UNI right now and I'm about to head on home.
I want to have our first tournament on Sunday, the 10th of August. Otherwise, the 17th of August.

DISCUSS THIS NOW. IF YOU FEEL ONE DATE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER PLEASE TELL ME.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
Probably the 10th. . . For me thats at the end of the first week back at uni. Besides, the sooner the better right? The faster the first one is done, the quicker the second can be set up XDXD

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
I'm prefer the 17th as I've got the City 2 Surf on the 10th.. I guess it means more time for everyone to prepare things if it's on the 17th but that's just me - if it's on the 10th I'll have to miss this one, sorry guys. :ohwell:

Bjay

Smash Lord
I think a post at the front page with directions to UNSW (like buses from central) and to the room you're on about would be sweet. :)

Dedu

Smash Lord
Least make sure the venue is definitely consolidated by the time the tourney is mentioned.
It will make for better progress.

In this case, keep finding better venues around the campus. Hopefully you won't have pay for a one. If the uni isn't using the room on said day(s) then by all means, use it.

Tell them you already support the uni through the fees you pay at the beginning of each year.
I organised the tourneys through the games club, which is funded via the unions. I guess UTS has plenty of leeway through the clubs it hosts.

And yes, I am going to this event. The earlier, the better for everyone, provided you give people enough notice beforehand.

Top Bottom