• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
No Infinite Dimensional Cape crap.

Refer to the 3rd post of the topic (i.e. page 1).

And unreon, if you're at UNSW anytime next week bar Friday I can show you. Hopefully.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Does this mean infinites on PK twins are allowed?
Well, they're technically not infinites.

Eventually it will go from one side of the screen to the other.

As I said, anything that hasn't been a problem before won't be 'considered'.

I'm technically saying that this tournament one should abuse all the bugs and horrible things they can do to be cheap and what have you.
So yeah, be super cheap, be super annoying, abuse infinites, piss off your opponents, etc etc.

Why? because then the counter argument for "it's never been a problem before", won't be valid any longer.

What does this mean? Well as a Marth main, I'll be using the infinite grab release on PK twins. Sorry to all those involved but that's fully within the rules, and I hope enough of a stir occurs to validate a proper rule against it.

Either way grab release on the PKtwins is near guaranteed death anyway. Grab release to 50%, dtilt, fmash tipped. Most likely dead.

I hope people understand what I'm saying here. ABUSE ABUSE ABUSE.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Awesome stuff, good to see this is coming along so swimmingly. I'm definitely in. :3

I'm good to bring my Wii/Freeloader/Brawl for sure.

Not sure about a TV, although I do have a tiny/ancient 20cm box that might possibly fit into a suitcase that I can lug around on public transport. Very very VERY unlikely, though. The TV is a surefire NO unless I explicitly say otherwise later on; I'm just putting it out there that it's a possibility.

Shaya said:
I've temporarily fallen to the wise words of xeno.
Which was caused by a catalyst that is forky.

D3 rule and MK rule remains. Everything else is cut.
Oh goodie, I won't need to fire the Ice Climbers gun just yet. *shelves that argument*

I'm curiouus, though, about the Meta Knight rule. I don't really play Meta Knight, so I'm not all that familiar with things, but why is the Infinite Dimensional Cape being banned so easily, without even one tourney being held since its discovery to see how it holds up? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that this has not much use outside of stalling, which in itself is already explicitly banned.

Just doesn't make sense to me. Again, I may be wrong about my observation, so I'm curious. Do explain?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
e_alert.
SBR precedence. I generally have no reason to go against them.

Also, could I get every person who is going to come to post saying they're coming. I'd like an idea of numbers. If you're coming with friends say how many. SO FAR, I THINK, I can say this:

Nineteen players:
4/5 TVs + Projector
Many Wiis.
  • Shaya (1 tv/1 wii)
  • Kulla (2 tvs/1 wii, MAYBE a 3rd TV)
  • ComboTurtle
  • e_alert (1 wii)
  • Shaya's friend: MAURER (1 wii if needed)
  • Sylvan
  • Slax (Sylvan's brother)
  • 2t
  • 3ddy
  • IGIF
  • SS Ben
  • Meteor Master (wii)
  • Gords (wii)
  • Forky (TV/Wii)
  • Unreon
  • Defiled
  • Berim/Pat (TV?)
  • Jaz (TV if he gets a lift)
  • Perpetual Ownage

I have read posts about speculating whether they were coming, but nothing definate. Please post or message me saying if you can come to this on the date.
I'll put that list on the first page later.

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
People from Hornsby are coming as well - 2t, 3ddy, IGIF and myself.

I'm not sure what the deal is with IGIF challenging you - we've had like no Brawl training aside from unlocking all the characters (which he hasn't completed). Still, looking forward to it nonetheless.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Oh, just a reminder, I recinded the idea of it being Brawl Singles only.

We will be having a FAST doubles tournament. So go find your partner if you want one.

I'm glad you're looking forward to it :).

I'm up for all challenges anyway.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
lol, if you want you can update "sylvan's brother" with "Slax". However, i don't think anyone on this site knows him aside from gords XD

If i do doubles, he'll be my partner.

Gords

Smash Champion
I am definately coming and quite possibly with 2 friends (hopefully they dont have to work).
Also I will definately be bringing my wii/brawl/freeloader/3 GC controllers/wiimote/nunchuck/classic control.
But I will need to use someone elses sensor bar as mine is glued(figuratively speaking) to my TV cabinet at home so i wont be able to bring that though.

I'm coming.

I can say I'm not brining a TV. Wii is a maybe, but for now no.

My brother will also be coming.
excellent i will finally get to meet you and slax, and have a real fight, none of this online stuff.

No Warios no Snakes no Metaknights no Marths no Toon Links no Pits no Dededes no Wolves

That is a decent ban hmmm...?
was this the original ban or a suggestion, because i believe this to be pretty ridiculus.
look youis left, the characters above list pretty much all the serious players.
Glad its not being implemented.

Gords

Smash Champion
Shaya I am also a member on the nintedohub forum (previously known as Brawl central forums).

Did you want me to post there asking if any people from NSW wants to attend your torney?

unreon

Smash Ace
I think I'll turn up =)

Advertising self to hook up with a Brawl double! I've never teamed with you BJay yet, wanna play? But if you're with me we'll get our heinies kicked up and down the street, around the corner.

Bjay

Smash Lord
I think I'll turn up =)

Advertising self to hook up with a Brawl double! I've never teamed with you BJay yet, wanna play? But if you're with me we'll get our heinies kicked up and down the street, around the corner.
I would love to, but it's going to have to be next time unfortunately! Don't worry, I would love to team up with you ^_^ but yeah it would have to be next time sorry.

Hey guys, unfortunately at this point in time I've decided I won't be going to this tournament. Unless I suddenly randomly decide, 'oh hey I feel like going to the tournament', unfortunately I won't be making it.

Rest assured, if you read a previous post of mine, it has nothing to do with Melee. In fact, it's got something to do with Brawl, and me. Laziness already plays a part of the role in not going, but it's only a minor reason.

Unfortunately I plan to keep my reasons disclosed.

Sorry guys. This will be the first tournament I've decided to not participate in.

Dedu

Smash Lord
Hah ha I already know why you decide to not go bjay but i won't spill the goods here...

Hope you enjoy the weekend while we all enjoy the day Brawlin' about!

Chicken_Salad

Smash Cadet
...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz... Meta...

...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz... Meta...

Meta knight has an infinite?!?!?!

so is this set on stone???

gah tests already and i just started uni...

...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz... To play or not to play...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
God **** Dedu, you clinched it.

Bjay is having hot raunchy sensual...

LUNCH, with his BEST FRIEND FROM HIGHSCHOOL.

Btw Stuey, are you coming? Are you definately bringing a tv?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Bjay, sucks that you can't come. Maybe next time, aye? :3

*pokes Shaya and makes him add "wii" next to his name on the list* ;D

Also, thanks for explaining about Meta Knight. I should have known there was some kind of standard already. :3

Hey Meteor, wanna team?

unreon

Smash Ace
gah tests already and i just started uni...
Salad, did you make it into Med? I just took the UMAT and I had a dream last night of getting 94/91/97 percentile in each section. If only it would transcend into reality :/

Laziness already plays a part of the role in not going, but it's only a minor reason.

Unfortunately I plan to keep my reasons disclosed.
IT'S A GIRL ISN'T IT?! OMG OMG OMG Bjay tell us more!

EDIT: Just read Shaya's. Oh dear, try not to fall for your best friend mate; that's deadly territory :/

Dedu

Smash Lord
Looks like you don't have a girlfriend Unreon...

After all, playing video games has its toll.
hmmm...

Bjay

Smash Lord
Hmm, you guys have very interesting assumptions so far. Intriguing to read :p

However, I am refraining from making any comments about why I can't come to the tourney, sorry. :p

S.D

Smash Master
Well, they're technically not infinites.

Eventually it will go from one side of the screen to the other.

As I said, anything that hasn't been a problem before won't be 'considered'.

I'm technically saying that this tournament one should abuse all the bugs and horrible things they can do to be cheap and what have you.
So yeah, be super cheap, be super annoying, abuse infinites, piss off your opponents, etc etc.

Why? because then the counter argument for "it's never been a problem before", won't be valid any longer.

What does this mean? Well as a Marth main, I'll be using the infinite grab release on PK twins. Sorry to all those involved but that's fully within the rules, and I hope enough of a stir occurs to validate a proper rule against it.

Either way grab release on the PKtwins is near guaranteed death anyway. Grab release to 50%, dtilt, fmash tipped. Most likely dead.

I hope people understand what I'm saying here. ABUSE ABUSE ABUSE.
Hmm, guess there's some logic behind this.

So after people complain about getting done in by release grabs etc they get banned?

The problem I have with inescapables/infinites is that it takes away the ability of the opponent to influence the match. If there was a possibility of DI to escape I wouldn't have an issue, but so long as the player (in this case marth) doesn't stuff up (which is near impossible), PKTWINS will die. Same with DDD vs DK etc.

Some chaingrabs end at certain percentages, same with combos, but infinites are just stupid. It becomes a matter of the player vs the game, where all they have to do is time their moves (which is not difficult to do), and the other player is taken out of the game. The victim would achieve the same result by putting their controller down. When there is no way the player can influence the game how is it even competitive?

I guess this is really only an issue in a double blind character selection. If there was some warning that your character WILL BE ABUSED before the match, and you have an opportunity to avoid it that would be preferable.

I guess the other side of the coin is that the game is simply broken - deal with it, i just don't think that promotes a competitive environment.

I think that these rules might just discourage people from using PKTWINS or anyone else who gets abused. Hopefully that isn't the case, so that new rules can be implemented preventing these problems. So as you've pointed out, this tournament SHOULD be used as a trial ground to determine a permanent ruleset.

Yes I do understand what you're saying, I'm not completely ignorant, these are just my arguments against infinites.

xeno

Smash Ace
Girls? They're beautiful when next to ya, irritating when not. How to get is a question of what you want, and if what you want is feasible / exists. Of course, you can always lower your standards.. just go out, get drunk, and see where you wake up! :(
Btw, I read a news article linked from Fark about a dad who took away his girl child's gamecube controller because she was using it as an accessory to masturbation. Nawt hawt :(
Bjorn you might as well just say it, no sense in leading people on about stuff. And I think I'm calling you Bjorn and not BJ from now on so I don't sound homoerotic.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think this needs a bump, lest there be people in the sydney topic posting about they heard theres a tournament but don't know where the information about it is. ;)

Anyway I'd like to reiterate a few things:
- RAGE
- Security is tight, please don't go wandering or exploring, there is the chance someone will be going "who the hell are you? what the hell are you doing here?" if you do such a thing.
- Anyone who's new or hasn't met me before please introduce yourself on the day.
- Any questions about good transport routes there, don't be afraid to ask...
- Don't play friendlies at all unless I deem its okay, I will not want to DQ or similar people who are holding up the tournament.
- Bring lots of TVs :D YAY.

Oh yeah, who wants to have ALL STAGES TOURNEY LEGAL FOR COUNTER PICK!? :D

Dedu

Smash Lord
I'd choose another stage so I wouldn't have to be pitied by you.

How does final destination + Wario sound?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Shaya - you're welcome to make modifications as you wish. These are the legal Starter/CP stages in the Monthlies (anything not in here is illegal):

Legal Stages on Random Select:
Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium, Corneria [D], Bridge of Eldin [D], Delfino Plaza, Luigi's Mansion, Mario's Circuit [D], Great Sea, Norfair, Frigate Orpheon, Battleship Halberd, Pokemon Stadium 2, Distant Planet, Skyworld, Pictochat, Shadow Moses Island [D], Green Hill Zone [D], Yoshi's Island (Melee), Jungle Japes, Rainbow Ride, Onett [D], Brinstar, Green Greens, Big Blue, F-Zero Port Town.

I can send you the SBR stage selections if you like. They are close to Rambo selections, if not more flexible than Rambo was.

Unifex

Smash Rookie
-

... Can I play?

Do we just show up, pay the registration and play when we're set?
This'd be my first foray into competitive play as far as smash, or any game is concerned... Or even playing against humans in brawl >.<

I can bring a Wii, brawl and a T.V if I get a lift (From Redfern!)

unreon

Smash Ace
This'd be my first foray into competitive play as far as smash, or any game is concerned... Or even playing against humans in brawl >.<
Welcome to the playpen!

There will be a tall dude with long blond hair, who just underwent jaw surgery, and has the health of his hand is under question.

Don't play this dude.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
<3 Unreon I'm going to be all **** cause I haven't been practicing and my interest in brawl is slipping again (Just laying down my Johns nice and early :D)

Good luck getting a lift...There are like....three cars in this entire community...one of them is mine and is already going to be packed with TV's

Top Bottom