• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well from the time I posted that message to now I've had to go 10th is not feasible (for me).

It doesn't leave me enough time to tell work I can't make it on the day. And they've been getting quite pissed at me at the amount of like "hey, I can't make it on the day" **** (I'm next there sunday, 1 week before will cause rage, 2 weeks will be fine).

Sunday, 17th of August will probably be the first.

Bjay: Anyone who wants to write up nice directions I'd appreciate it.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever gone out and made an application to a local council to have their community group recognised as a non-profit-organisation? I haven't tried myself (but I'm really tempted to give it a shot at the Melbourne City Council), but if it passed, then you could get essentially free access to a plethora of good public venues.

xeno

Smash Ace
Shaya, it's your tournament, look up google maps..
Caotic, that sounds very interesting O_O

Gords

Smash Champion
Gords, I did a lot of running around and this venue is the only one which I can consider free for usage.
FREEEEE.

I believe it is sufficient in size as well for the time being.

There is a 3rd avenue, which is the FM Assist, but they were very blunt that
a) No money can be charged to the people going
b) A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE ROUNDHOUSE.

Any 4th option (as in if you are a student at UNSW who is able to convince some nice person who runs a whole 'school' to lend you a room), get back to me.

Anyway, I'm at UNI right now and I'm about to head on home.
I want to have our first tournament on Sunday, the 10th of August. Otherwise, the 17th of August.

DISCUSS THIS NOW. IF YOU FEEL ONE DATE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER PLEASE TELL ME.
you im thinking, we should great a student group with arc, they get to hirer rooms for free i think or at least at a much cheaper price, but i am not sure exactly how that works.

Well from the time I posted that message to now I've had to go 10th is not feasible (for me).

It doesn't leave me enough time to tell work I can't make it on the day. And they've been getting quite pissed at me at the amount of like "hey, I can't make it on the day" **** (I'm next there sunday, 1 week before will cause rage, 2 weeks will be fine).

Sunday, 17th of August will probably be the first.

Bjay: Anyone who wants to write up nice directions I'd appreciate it.
17th is fine for me and bjay, shaya if you want i can post directions if you want.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever gone out and made an application to a local council to have their community group recognised as a non-profit-organisation? I haven't tried myself (but I'm really tempted to give it a shot at the Melbourne City Council), but if it passed, then you could get essentially free access to a plethora of good public venues.
great idea Cao, when i get a chance i might look into this for the sydney scene

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I'm good for either the 10th or the 17th. Like others here, I'd prefer it sooner, but I don't really care either way.

And Cao, that was a fantastic idea. I never knew you could do something like that. o_O

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well instead of being recognised as a non for profit organisation, I'm just relying on my I am a student, give me ****.

Gords, I am very well aware a club/society can be made. I've done the research on this already. I DID A LOT OF RESEARCH AND RUNNING AROUND in a day. Pretty much nothing can be done until next semester.
This gives us enough time to gauge how well things are going anyway. We'd need about 20 UNSW students to start the process of creating the club, by the way.

I'll send an email requesting the booking of the room on the 17th of August this Sunday; After I've confirmed my work liabilities.

Gords

Smash Champion
Well instead of being recognised as a non for profit organisation, I'm just relying on my I am a student, give me ****.

Gords, I am very well aware a club/society can be made. I've done the research on this already. I DID A LOT OF RESEARCH AND RUNNING AROUND in a day. Pretty much nothing can be done until next semester.
This gives us enough time to gauge how well things are going anyway. We'd need about 20 UNSW students to start the process of creating the club, by the way.

I'll send an email requesting the booking of the room on the 17th of August this Sunday; After I've confirmed my work liabilities.
Thats excellent shaya, you really did your research. well it seems you have done eerything with the power you currently have. but when we meet you can let me know all about the process for setting up a group with arc, i am here to help you.
coincidently how many years have you been at unsw.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
wow, shaya, your organised. . . I'm not a UNSW student. But my dad was, does that count XD XD j/k

Hmm but i think the not for profit thing might be pushing it a bit. I mean if it can be done go for it. But it seems a bit extreme for a smash get together.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I didn't know language clubs, chess tournaments and paint classes were extreme.

I'm not suggesting we go all out and become an NGO like CVA or St. Vinnies, but on the grounds of being a community based organisation that isn't a commercial interest, we do in fact fit the bill.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I didn't know language clubs, chess tournaments and paint classes were extreme.

I'm not suggesting we go all out and become an NGO like CVA or St. Vinnies, but on the grounds of being a community based organisation that isn't a commercial interest, we do in fact fit the bill.
How do we explain the cash payouts for tournament winners?

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
Cash payout for tourney winners goes to participants, not the organisation. So the club breaks even by hosting the event. (they would take just enough money to cover venue TV hire etc)

Basically as long as the person hosting the event doesn't make money just from hosting it, then it's ok.

well thats the gist of it anyway. You'll probably have to check gambling rules and whatnot.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Shaya - Typically, you wouldn't.

It's common for tournaments of any kind of have a prize and an entry fee. A proposal for such a thing isn't always looked down upon, it depends on how your angle your proposal. Universities will definently clamp down on such things, as it can be classified as gambling on University premises (I've had this problem happen in San Diego right after I left). It's usually up to the community to keep money issues on the low when using a University Venue, or else if you're caught, you, as well as the University will be caught up in a whole lot of legal **** (think suspension).

We've got away with La Trobe Uni for having no payouts, with monies collected going to funding the gaming organisation itself (which was until recently affliated with the University). Whenever we had to use a Melbourne University venue with payouts, it had to be done in secret, or done paying the full amount for commercial use of the venue.

FYI, the work involved in getting resources from your university is probably just as bad, if not worse than dealing with a council. University administration is typically ****. Keep it simple, and things will work out quite nicely. :)

Dedu

Smash Lord
Will this so called 'club' will end up being a temporary event at UNSW or be added to the long list of clubs for the union?

hmmm?

xeno

Smash Ace
Don't talk about the money.
Don't talk about the money.
Keep quiet, check smashboards when you get home, hand your bills to a guy in a trenchcoat 3 hours before the tourney starts then piss off and return when it starts.. you'll find an envelope inside your car when the tourney's over.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
To avoid any money problems I'll most likely be doing some uhh "pre-registering" system.

Pre-registering will be done off CAMPUS.

And only those who pre-register can participate in the tournament.

Jaz

Smash Ace
if only those who pre register at the tournament are allowed to complete your going to suffer in numbers, random people always end up coming along/ every time there's always someone/ a group of people who doesn't/don't pre register.

my 2c

xeno

Smash Ace
Xeno wins at life <3
Well yeah, I already knew that. This is just watching the credits roll.
JAZ: Read mine and Shaya's post more carefully. NO MONEY EXCHANGE ON THE BUILDING OR THEY PUT YOU IN PROSON

Bjay

Smash Lord
Will there be a TV strictly for free play too? I think there should be one.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm hoping to keep things on a tight schedule; so NO soup FRIENDLIES FOR YOU.

If there are:
8 TVs
32 contestants

This is 16 set matches per round.
Meaning 2 sets on each TV.

If each set is 10 minutes (2 rounds, approx 5 mins each), than each round is 20 minutes.

6 rounds = 2 hours, 9 rounds = 3 hours...

How brilliant the clockwork could go.

xeno

Smash Ace
Dw, I'll be running around shouting RUSH MORE in case of campers. We could have a stamp that says "I failed to Rush" and stamp it on ppl's necks if they sit in one spot for too long.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay guys, **** just got reasonably official.

I have booked the room for the 17th of August. I officially have access to the room on the 17th of August from 8am-5pm.

To do:
Get the TV hiring thing rolling.
CONVINCE YOU PEOPLE TO BRING YOUR WIIS AND BRAWL AND IF YOU CAN BRING A TV ANYWAY, THE MORE THE MERRIER.

The room is VERY sufficient for powerpoints, tables and chairs. DEFINATELY, NO EXCEPTIONS, THERE IS NO WAY WE'LL HAVE A PROBLEM IN THESE AREAS.

We even have the use of
ONE PROJECTORRRRRRRRRrr.
ONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Which can be easily used for KULLAS IDEA FOR TELLING YOU YOUR ****TY MATCHES ARE STARTING.

Problems now are:
Getting TVs cheap. AT ALL
No one shows up with their wiis or other things.
Me being told by work that me trying to take Sunday, the 17th off will result in me being fired. ;_;.
Money stuff. I have been kind of forced to directly ask the big guy whether I can charge money for the event. There is precedence for this though. A quake3 tournament in the past charged an entry fee of $5 per person. Let's hope he just doesn't say "NO", and hence I feel very very very paranoid about the potential PEOPLE COMING FROM THE CEILING if moneys involved.

Otherwise the "off campus" solution is the only solution.

I think I'll be running the tournament from 10-4. Singles will have priority. I think for this event it will be singles only. Discuss.

S.D

Smash Master
Whatever time permits i guess shaya, if doubles will be too much maybe give it a miss this time.

Nice job btw, got this ball rolling in a hurry. Not sure I can make this one, I think I'm leaving for the snow that day... but i will attend whenever possible.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
I can bring my wii, although I'd prefer not to. At this rate it looks likely I'm going to be using public transport to get there, and well, the wii is kinda hard to lug around.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I can bring my wii, although I'd prefer not to. At this rate it looks likely I'm going to be using public transport to get there, and well, the wii is kinda hard to lug around.
I'd like to say, no it isn't.

People need to bring their own controllers anyway. And the size of one wii happens to be about two controllers.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
The wii itself is really small, but the cables are not. They are a mess, I recently went on a holiday and took my wii with me (NERD!!!) and it was a pain to transport.

But that being said, now i have experience transporting it interstate, so surely it wouldn't be that much harder getting it to a local uni XD

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I was a bit ambituous. Hiring TVs is a pretty big ask.
While I'm not saying it will never happen, at least for the first tournament I really wish to see the numbers of participants and how things work out.

So in other words I'll be relying on contestants to provide TVs. And of course their wiis.

Sydney siders, if you have a car, bring a TV and maybe a wii to go with it. If you can bring two TVs, brilliant.
Parking at UNSW is free on Sunday. If you have a reasonbly small tv (as in, either small or a flat-panel TV of mostly any size) and are able to move it out of your residence, then I may be able to arrange a person to be picked up for such a thing.

I've organised quite a lot, but now I need labour. Those who can help are the best types of people. I realise I've failed one major area of the whole thing; being the "we provide TVs", but let's hope it doesn't completely ruin the event.

Anyone who can bring a TV, is ABLE TO BRING A TV, etc etc. please private message me/post etc. Or add me on msn. (kingshaya@gmail.com). Hell, even send me an email to that address if either of the other options is not fantastic for you.

I'll still be trying to acquire TVs through other means, we're still 2 weeks away. Who knows what further 'running around uni' may result in.

At this time I believe I can state we have four TVs (2 from Kulla, one from me, and a PROJECTOR).

Much love,
Shaya.

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
Looks like you've done a fair bit of work on this and it seems to be coming together pretty well, good job. The Hornsby guys and I will be coming (to get pwned, no Brawl experience ftw) and MAY be able to bring some equipment, although it's unlikely as we'll probably be getting public transport there.

So it's Brawl Singles only, no Melee or Doubles?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I feel time constraints make it unfeasible to have more than brawl singles.

This is just for this time only.

Hell, if we by freak occurance can fit in 6 or so rounds of swiss within reasonable time, I'll be happy to have a FAUX single elimination doubles tournament. Like, hope it's over in an hour type of thing.

unreon

Smash Ace
What about advertising? I reckon it wouldn't be too difficult to put up some flyers around places like the Roundhouse, Quad, etc. If SMASH! can do it, so can we :D

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay guys, we'll be having a doubles tournament.
FIRST.

I have updated the FIRST POST OF THE TOPIC WITH VENUE ****.
AND I HAVE UPDATED MY SECOND POST OF THE TOPIC (3rd post, after bjay's which is after my first) WITH THE TOURNAMENT RULES.

POINTS OF INTEREST IS TO DISCUSS THE CHARACTER USE RULES.

Dedu

Smash Lord
No Warios no Snakes no Metaknights no Marths no Toon Links no Pits no Dededes no Wolves

That is a decent ban hmmm...?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I've temporarily fallen to the wise words of xeno.
Which was caused by a catalyst that is forky.

D3 rule and MK rule remains. Everything else is cut.
If they become huge problems in the future they'll be revaluated. Still, on the other side of the coin, open to discussion; as always.

What about advertising? I reckon it wouldn't be too difficult to put up some flyers around places like the Roundhouse, Quad, etc. If SMASH! can do it, so can we :D
Ughhhh advertising. I don't know whether the venue can handle the power of direct advertising, let alone word of mouth.

But, what do you think?

unreon

Smash Ace
I'll have to see the venue itself. HEY!, the building is right round the corner of the Rupert Myers Optometry building!!

HURRAH!!

And what are the rules for MK?

Top Bottom