• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Little Mac for SSBB" Thread (SNES Mac, not NES)

LeadPenguin

Smash Cadet
Everyone hates Little Mac, well maybe not hate but they don't like him
There's well over a hundred posts prior to your statement that would seem to say otherwise.

And I'm gonna throw my hat in for the NES Little Mac. Way cooler! Plus, if you make sure all of his sound effects are from the NES game, a la Dr. Mario's pill fireballs, that'd be fantastic. The Final Smash would have to be the awesome windup uppercut noise, complete with the woozy falling down noise as the recipient falls away into the background.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Some good news. Just checked out the sales for the games. Punch Out did really well

Punch-Out sales

Sadley, can't find sales for Super Punch-Out so I assum it sold less then 1million. So, guess NES Little Mac may be more likely.

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
First thing's first.....

Everyone hates Little Mac, well maybe not hate but they don't like him
......Idiot.

Now back to discussion. I honestly think that NES Mac is going to be in. If you type in "Little Mac" one Youtube, or Google Videos nearly all the Vids are about NES Mac. I'm not saying SNES is bad but NES seems to be more recognized. Plus it's been ages since I played Super Punch-out but was he actually called "Little Mac" I thought you got to name him so he really didn't have a name.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I say that if Mac is in, that his stage should be a boxing ring, with ropes that will bounce back characers that get hit into them. :O

(That idea has probably has been said before, but I like it!)

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
Usually I refer to the NES rendition as Little Mac, with the SNES version as just Mac, or Blonde Mac, even though they probably are supposed to be the same person.

Personally, I prefer the design of the NES Little Mac, because his "little-ness" really did a good job of playing into the situation. It felt really satisfying to take on boxers nearly three times your size and come out on top, it made for that much stronger of a cinderella story. Blonde Mac is practically as big and buff as anybody he comes up against, so it's not as much of a surprise that he dominates the tournament. I also have an appreciation for how Little Mac's design evolved from the hardware limitations (namely his short stature so you could easily see the opponent head-on and the black tank-top to help break up his arms and torso from being a big pink blob, etc). Maybe that's just because it's reminiscent of how Mario came to be, but eh.

Anyway, despite my personal preference for Little Mac, I think that Sakurai would be more likely to use mostly Blonde Mac's design, since it's the most recent incarnation. I don't really mind that, since Mac in any form is certainly welcome to Brawl, but I'd prefer if they came up with a way to reconcile the two designs to finally make one definitive Mac.

...alright, I'll admit that I mostly just want to make sure that they keep his shortness intact. It's what puts the "little" in Little Mac, after all.

Though it was mostly tailored to the NES incarnation, I was engaged in several Little Mac debates at the Gamefaqs Brawl board today, so it's kinda rekindled my interest. I suggested that they could have Mac "borrow" some of his opponents' special moves to vary things up a little bit (a la Smash Bros. Ness). I'll re-write those ideas here if anyone's interested, but be warned that they're all based on fighters from the NES Punch-Out, since that's the only game in the series I have personal experience with.

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
Hey, did you happen to catch the "Why do people want Little Mac?" thread on Gamefaqs. The TC is talking nonsense like duck hunt dog has a better shot at brawl, and people are actually agreeing with him. These brats make me sick.

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
Actually yeah, I posted a couple times in that topic. I've considered posting in it again since it's oddly still alive, but I'm too tired at this point to bother with it any longer (I'm known on Gamefaqs as BlackPixel, btw).

Mostly I got into it with a guy in a topic of how Knuckle Joe might affect Little Mac's chances of showing up. The Knuckle Joe part of the topic got dropped pretty quick though. ;\

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
lol knuckle joe makes little mac more likely if anything, imo. we now have a boxing AT, so that might lessen Mac's chance of ending up as one (if there is any), and we already know Mac is on Sakurai's radar....sooooo, let's just say I like mac's chances.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Has anyone ever created a little Mac moveset yet??

If not, I might have to do it. But, I'll have to do it in the other thread because it will clearly be the NES Mac...

Edit: Here's a question, though, would he have any kicking moves at all since he's supposed to be a boxer? Or could he maybe become a little more street-fighter-ish or at least kick-boxing-ish??

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
hell nah. no kicking man. just an array of punches at various heights, speeds, and effects.

As long as it involves his fist in some way, it's cool. shockwaves caused by striking the ground are acceptable. that can be a potential special move. a chargable punch that causes a shockwave when you punch the ground, or maybe you could have a storable flying uppercut.

Throws can be normal, boxers throw each other sometimes. I made a moveset in the NES thread as eric the lone, which seems to have killed the thread for the moment. actually i think a few people posted movesets in that thread

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
Would he have kick attacks and whatnot, too, like C. Falcon??
That would kinda defeat the point of him being a boxer, wouldn't it? ;)

Anyway, if I'm remembering correctly, all of Fox's A-button attacks involve only kicks and no punches, so I don't see why Little Mac couldn't do something similar. Jabs, hooks, uppercuts, etc.

I'm in the same boat as Grim Lizard, I could do up a Mac move list (I'm thinking of refining the moves I came up with in five minutes yesterday), but those moves are all based on the NES P-O....we really should just merge these Mac topics.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I realize all of the boxer stuff, but he will be quite more limited with punches than kicks. (I was thinking kick boxing, but whatever). Anyway, I'll post a moveset sometime soon on the NES mac one.

ps - there is a really good Mac moveset in the NES mac thread.

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
Because there are two potential Punch-Out reps: The dark-haired super-short Little Mac from the NES game, and the taller, more muscular blond guy from the SNES game and Fight Night Round 2 (who may or may not canonically be Little Mac...nobody's really sure).

Yeah, it's probably kind of nonsensical, but at the moment they're considered two different characters.

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
On the NES Mac thread there is a ton of movesets. Some I don't agree with since they arenot true boxer style but all are All-punch style. Now there are two kinds of movesets we can do.

One is what Anders Kaiser says and incorporate other boxer's moves.

^B: Mac's uppercut.
>B: Bald Bull's charge.
VB: Don Flamengo's Counterstrike.
B: Piston Jabs.

Sorry I only remeber NES boxers.

The other is come with a brand new set of moves just like C. Falcon or Fox.

I can't think of anything. I'm too tired right now.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Because there are two potential Punch-Out reps: The dark-haired super-short Little Mac from the NES game, and the taller, more muscular blond guy from the SNES game and Fight Night Round 2 (who may or may not canonically be Little Mac...nobody's really sure).

Yeah, it's probably kind of nonsensical, but at the moment they're considered two different characters.
THEY ARE THE SAME CHARACTER! Lil Mac = Lil Mac!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
There is not two potential Macs. Either classic Mac (NES) will be in or not at all. I can guarantee you that. I still have no idea why this thread is getting more attention than the real one.

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
Well, here's another new moveset.

Little Mac!

Throws
-------

Up - Holds opponent and uppercuts them.
Back- Swings opponent behind him.
Down - Holds opponent and pounds them downward.
Forward - Holds opponent and hooks them, sending forward.

A Attacks

--------------
A - Signature jab that stuns opponent momentarily, leaving them with a shocked expression.
Second tap of A - A strong jab with more knockback than the first.

Dash + A - A three hit combination while bearing down on the opponent. The series is cross, hook, then uppercut, ending in the opponent being in a position convenient for juggling or further comboing.

Tilts
-----------
Up - A fist pump with both hands which prepares the opponent for juggling.

Forward - A reaching straight punch that is more for pressuring than power.

Down - Little Mac crouches and punches at the opponent's feet. This hits beneath shrinking shields and can meteor spike at edges.

Aerials
-----------
Up - Victory. A triumphant upward fist pump that kills with ease.

Down - Jackhammer punch. Little Mac punches downward rapidly and frequently. This move acts as a dangerous multi-hit spike.

Neutral - A spinning hook with such ferocity that Little Mac spins in the air and hits everyone around him. Excellent priority and power.

Forward - A leaping double punch. He combos whoever is in front of him. Anyone sneaking up from behind gets smacked by Little Mac's elbows.

Smash Attacks
-------------
Up - Uppercut. Little Macs fist looks like an arching blur of light as he sends anyone flying off the top of the screen.

Down - Low blow. In a move frowned upon by the VBA, Little Mac performs a sharp downward punch, then quickly turns around and does another.

Foward - Overhand Cross. Just a rangy, strong straightish punch.

Specials
---------
These moves are quite unique, I think.

B - Star punch. A chargable, storable jab. When you hit with this move a star appears above the opponent. The energy you store is called your "will". This will can be used with other attacks, as you will see.

Up B - Flying Spinning Uppercut. Just pressed normally, you will perform the attack, which is a good finishing attack and recovery in its own right. This power and height of this move depend on your will.

Forward B - Desperation lunge. Little Mac dashes forward before going into a series of punches you can control. A hook, a straight, a low, and if they are still trapped, you may be able to finish them with an uppercut. The length of the initial dash is determined by the amount of will you have charged.

Down B - Guard. You brace for an impending attack, absorbing most of the knockback while taking a small amount of damage. It's Marth's counter with a twist.

The differences:

1. You take damage.
2. There is no set move as with Marth's counter. You can use any of your attacks provided you input the buttons fast enough. Going for a jab would be the safest option.

Final Smash

------------
"Banzai Rush"

Learned from Piston Honda, this technique involves an unstoppable series of dashing punches. When Little Mac grabs the smash ball his fists become like hammers, his feet become like Sonic's, and there is no way you will survive if you're nearby.

Assist Trophies
--------------
Dragon Chan -
King Hippo -
Bald Bull -
Mr. Dream
Ect....

Any suggestions on these?

Costumes

----------

Default- Black Tank Top/Shorts/Dark Hair

Metrosexual Mac - No top/Shorts/Blond dyed Hair

Training Mac - Pink Jumpsuit

Arcade Mac - Green Semitransparent frame

Taunt
-----

Stage
-----

Jersey City. The fight takes place on a platform above this street located I *think* in Jersey City, from what I know of the area. The fight platform flies through the air and you can see various familiar buildings on the New York skyline and you eventually pass the Statue of Liberty as night falls and the city lights up. Then the plaform decends into the street where Doc Louis and other old Punch Out!! foes are watching in the background. The fight resumes there until the platform comes back and everything starts over again.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Nice moveset. I really want this guy in.

But I think a boxing ring would be a better locale for Mac. Maybe there could be two platforms that came out of the ground occasionally, sort of like Pokemon stadium, and sometimes they would come together to make one big platform. It wouldn't be random; so there wouldn't be issues about predictability, but I think it might work.

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
This is Blaine. Thanks, maybe a boxing ring stage is best, although I really like the Jersey City location. I wanted to use a ring, but the issue of translating that to Brawl is what I'm concerned about. There's probably a simple solution I'm just missing, though

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman

This shot from the Game and Watch version of punchout might be the type of angle you'd get from a boxing ring stage. The front is cut off to allow for a 2D plane, while the rest of the ring extends into the background.

edit: Bah, this is much better. Allows for more scenery and epicness. The real stage would be zoomed in more, this is just to show the whole arena. I incorporated your platforms, Grim. They would move around and eventually merge, then repeat the cycle.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I keep on trying to think of a moveset for Mac that doesn't involve all the reused moves, but the problem is you can't for this guy. All the basic attacks he can do are used up.

One thing I don't get about the above moveset is the down B. How is it like Marth's counter if it doesn't counter? And why not just use a shield?

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
it's way harder when you limit yourself to basics. if you make up all kinds of crazy punches, that can work. i made a moveset where little mac's recovery was an explosive punch that blasts him toward the stage. i didn't want to do a typical flying uppercut recovery like usual. just gotta think outside the box man.

with guard the similarity to counter is you go into a defensive stance for a moment and the move will only work if you get hit while in that stance. the thing with shielding is when someone hits your shield you can either

a. grab
b. aerial (unless you're yoshi)
c. upsmash (only for some)
d. evade and reset confrontation

Limited options. With guard you can take the hit and immediately follow with any attack you choose. Like Roy's counter, it's not nearly as broken as it sounds.

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
Your concept of the boxing ring stage looks good, but I can't say I agree with the "tilted" camera angle you used there. Unless you suggest they put a dotted line across the ground, it would be really difficult to tell exactly where you're standing. Every other stage employs a straight-on approach to camera angle, I don't see why they would change that for Mac.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
the reason they COULD change that for mac would be because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the stage. now i'm with you on the fact that they prolly won't do this, and i am ok with little mac not getting a stage as long as he gets in PC. i mean not everyone can get a stage

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
There is no SNES Little Mac. The main character in Super Punch Out was never given a name, people just called him Little Mac because that was the name of the main character in the first one. He's not Little Mac.

parrothead

Smash Lord
There is no SNES Little Mac. The main character in Super Punch Out was never given a name, people just called him Little Mac because that was the name of the main character in the first one. He's not Little Mac.
However, the SNES Super Punch-Out!! is the sequel to the NES Punch-Out!! titles, because according to the SNES version's instruction manual, Gabby Jay's trainer (and only opponent he won against) was Glass Joe. Also, in Fight Night Round 2 for GCN, the SNES boxer was referred to as Little Mac (or just Mac according to his boxers he wears). Even though, this doesn't seem canonical due to the nature of the third-party title, no one knows who exactly named the SNES boxer: EA or Nintendo. If EA, uncanon; if Nintendo, canon. I'm pretty sure the playable Punch-Out!! boxers are all different Macs, just like the many different Links in the Zelda series.

Sakurai would either:

|A.| Use the SNES boxer, and call him Little Mac (or just "Mac").
|B.| Use the original Little Mac from the NES versions.
|C.| Use the green-haired boxer from the arcade versions, and call him Little Mac (or just "Mac").
|D.|Combine the looks of two or all three playable Punch-Out!! boxers, and call him Little Mac (or just "Mac").

OR

|E.| Create a completely new look for an upcoming Punch-Out!! title (if there is one being developed).

If the NES Punch-Out!! titles are the most popular, then why did they (Nintendo / EA) use the SNES Super Punch-Out!! as a bonus for the GCN version of Fight Night Round 2? It probably means that the SNES Super Punch-Out!! is the current Punch-Out!! title, due to being the newest of the Punch-Out!! series. Even though, a micro game based on the NES Punch-Out!! titles was in WarioWare: Smooth Moves, that was for retro/history purposes. It's not a sign of being the current Punch-Out!! title. Look at the micro game based on the SNES Star Fox, does that mean the SNES Star Fox is now the current Star Fox title?

Top Bottom