• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
kaid said:
Sonic has been Mario's archrival for decades, and Mario vs Sonic has been the subject of endless speculation, flash animation, and even poetry.
I don't mean to be a jerk, but I LOL'd. Decades? :laugh: You mean 15 years :p

EDIT:
LuCKy said:
tails did'nt get his own game though,but shadow did.if tails does have his own game i dont know about it.
Tails' Adventure, for the Game Gear. It's part of the Sonic Gems Collection and was downloadable to the GBA with Sonic Adventure DX, I think, as well. At least the Sonic Drift games were with DX :p

And I meant to say this before: why isn't the Spindash his Down B? It makes a lot more sense, IMO. And giving him that "Hidden Bumper" third jump is just like every other fanmade Up B where "OMG Tom Nook grabs a net full of bees lol." Why not just a rapid spin, like if he "double jumped" in Sonic 3 and Knuckles? He gets some air off it, and creates a mini-shield around himself for the duration of the attack.

I will say, though, before you start thinking I'm flaming (I'm just teasing/giving constructive criticism ;)), that I love the idea of his running duck, and his aerial A being the spin. They sound like simple ideas, but it's amazing how innovative they can be. :)

Zofer

Smash Rookie
He has o be in the game this moveset is awesome but the dash thing would need Huuge arenas.

kaid

Smash Master
FlipTroopa said:
And I meant to say this before: why isn't the Spindash his Down B? It makes a lot more sense, IMO. And giving him that "Hidden Bumper" third jump is just like every other fanmade Up B where "OMG Tom Nook grabs a net full of bees lol." Why not just a rapid spin, like if he "double jumped" in Sonic 3 and Knuckles? He gets some air off it, and creates a mini-shield around himself for the duration of the attack.
Spindash is <smash because if I put it anywhere else, I'd have to come up with a NEW slow, chargable sideways attack that fits Sonic. (the last part is the most important- anyone coud throw a random kick move on, but making it fit sonic is the hard part.)

The Bumper is there because all B moves have to have a name to put on the trophy, and anything based off Light Dash is a blatant ripoff of Mario's coin jump. I've only read the manuals of the early sonic games, so I'm not sure how the animation of the Lighning Shield airjump is different from his regular jump. (Which here is the Nair)

kaid

Smash Master
frogfusious said:
...similiar to Samus'.
And therein lies the problem. This is Sonic, not Samus, and not his archrival Mario. He should play completely diffferently than the Nintendo characters, simply from being what he is.

Bounce is a good example of this. Kirby, Yoshi, and Bowser all have a similar move... but Yoshi/Bowser lag on the ground, while Kirby lags in the air, when he emerges from Rock. Even if Kirby's on the ground, though, he still ends up in the air. Sonic's move takes that further, bouncing and launching himself back in the air. (where he can bounce again, if he wants to.) There would be lag right after he bounces, before you can do another move, of course... enough to nerf bounce spammage. But Bounce->Rising aerial->bounce has the capability to compete with Shffl.

VKris

Smash Cadet
Ok, I really like your ideas, but am I the only one here that would like Knuckles in the game? I mean come on, he's got his fists and don't forget this is a fighting game. I personally like Sonic more then all the other characters... but if they could have Sonic and Knuckles with or without Tails, it would be awesome. The kind of awesome that would make me buy the Wii just for that game.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Sonic would be ok, people have been wanting to c him in brawl for quite a while, and being voted one of the top characters to be in brawl, im sure he'll appear in brawl, maybe with megaman? we will have to wait and find out

Ghos7Soldier

Smash Apprentice
I think Sonic and megaman are going to make it. Sonic will make it hands down. If he doesn't then I wouldn't be suprised but odds are he'll be in it.

Nice move lists people. ^_^

Shark X

Smash Lord
Ghos7Soldier said:
I think Sonic and megaman are going to make it. Sonic will make it hands down. If he doesn't then I wouldn't be suprised but odds are he'll be in it.
Watch out for the Sonic haters that seem to go around and ***** about Sonic, and only Sonic being in SSBB.

BlueImpulse

Smash Cadet
Sonic is the only choice that I really care about, I love MGS, but i've got Sonic as my first video game ever.
If Shadow some how got into this game, I think I would cry a little :p

Amy Rose would make a good second character choice.... And don't say it's stupid without thinking about how versitile a hammer is.

*Thrash*

Smash Cadet
How about Sonic Wind(SA2) as a movable projectile, ala Din's Fire? I think his downsmash should be spinning in a very tight circle around his general vicinity(similar move in Sonic the Fighters.)

And I second Sonic being the only choice I really care about(since I already have Pit and we know Mario's back.)

kaid

Smash Master
Sonic wind... hmm.

Swap sonic wind in for B, and move that fire tackle to sidesmash.... merging Bounce and Spindash on vB.

It could work. The trophy would need two names for the vB, but it works.

The only problem is that we're giving Sonic a projectile, which I believe was only available in VS mode in 1 game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem with Sonic Wind is that it is the equivelant to Chaos Spear. For those who have played Shadow The Hedgehog, they'd know that Chaos Spear can only be used by Hyper Shadow, thus, it can be determined that Sonic Wind is a super form move too.

That's my view on it. Mind you, there's two versions of Chaos Spear, but regardless, I don't believe Sonic Wind should be used. Notice how they didn't use it in Sonic Battle...but they used other similar moves for the rest of their specials. Sonic used Light Dash, Bounce Attack, Sonic Cracker(a possible homage to Sonic Crackers, a never released game), but no Sonic Wind. Same with Shadow overall.

It is true that Bounce and Spin Dash would need two names. That'd be funny on a trophy, no?

Shark X

Smash Lord
HyperFalcon said:
The problem with Sonic Wind is that it is the equivelant to Chaos Spear. For those who have played Shadow The Hedgehog, they'd know that Chaos Spear can only be used by Hyper Shadow, thus, it can be determined that Sonic Wind is a super form move too.
You obviously haven't played Shadow the Hedgehog. Everyone knows there's no such thing as a Hyper Shadow. Chaos Spear can be used by Shadow, AND Super Shadow. Never has been a Hyper Shadow, mainly because he doesn't exist.

kaid

Smash Master
In the sonic games, "Hyper" is sometines used when refering to people in super form, to distinguish them from Super Sonic. Ex: Hyper Knuckles.

Shark X

Smash Lord
kaid said:
In the sonic games, "Hyper" is sometines used when refering to people in super form, to distinguish them from Super Sonic. Ex: Hyper Knuckles.
Wrong. In the games, Hyper is what the Super Emeralds turn Sonic and Knuckles into in the game 'Sonic and Knuckles' Chaos Emeralds turn Sonic and Knuckles Super, Tails nothing. Hyper Emeralds turn Sonic and Knuckles Hyper, and Tails into Super.

The Super Emeralds haven't returned since, makeing Sonic and Shadow, Super only.

If anything, your talking about the comics, which used Hyper for Knuckles, Turbo for Tails (which turbo doesn't exist in the games), and Super for Sonic and Shadow.

VKris

Smash Cadet
Shark X knows his stuff, Hyper was...achieved by getting all 7 Super Emeralds after getting the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles on the Sega Genesis. It was also released on CD, but I found it a hell of a lot easier to play on Sega. Actually now that I think about it... I remember being pissed once I got the Chaos Emeralds and then they were givin to the Master Emerald or something (transformed?)so I couldn't be Super OR Hyper.

kaid

Smash Master
Heh. as people tend to say what sounds coolest, they will rarely bother to check what the actual games called it. Hence nitpicking.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In Shadow The Hedgehog(which I own, thank you very much, and they refer to it as "Super Form", not Super Shadow, note the difference), he does not normally use Chaos Spear at all. The only way he can implement it is with the Shadow Rifle which fires Chaos Spears. Remember that Battle Mode on Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is not canon in any way.

While it is true that during story mode of SA2:B, both Sonic and Shadow use Sonic Wind and Chaos Spear respectively, that was one time they could do it canon-wise. I do think the correct name would be Super Shadow, but there's many theories that the Super Emeralds are now the actual Chaos Emeralds, but then again, it's a theory. I refer to him as Hyper Shadow as he looks quite different from Super Sonic, and makes him more "hyper-like", but that's just me.

I still disagree with using Sonic Wind, as in the games, it was a homing attack. Last we need is a homing attack other than the original "Homing Attack".

I was not referring to the comics in any way, since I don't read them. I know of the names, and I refer to the characters as Super Sonic(Hyper Sonic for Super Emerald use only), Super Mecha Sonic(Sonic and Knuckles as I never got that far on Sonic 3 & Knuckles), Hyper Knuckles, Turbo Tails(comic-book name since Super Tails or Hyper Tails is boring), Hyper Shadow(as explained above), and that'd be all.

The only "Hyper" name that is not a Super Form is HyperMetalSonic, who is just a more personality-ised version of MetalSonic, and isn't canon. I did not know the differences between Mecha Sonic and Metal Sonic at the time, so I used the term "Super Metal Sonic" for Mecha Sonic going super.

Crazy names, no? I know they aren't the official names, but that's what I refer to them as. It makes it easier than ever.

kaid

Smash Master
Found in a wannabe sonic thread...

jrricky said:
Sonic will be part of the roster
Here is it straight from the source, its not actually announced or confirmed as yet but from all of the posts that went on in this blog, i am convinced this will happen.

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...029948967900119

go straight to the bottom of the page and read what kyoshi responded with.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Not bad kaid, this is really one of the better, if not best, Sonic movesets I've seen. I'm still not convinced that he would be a good char with anything that can be worked with from any of his games, though. It just seems to be missing something, and like Hyperfalcon said, a homing attack should be the last thing included. But like you said in your first post on this thread, the various factors of popularity and the number of times Sonic's been on Nin systems means he's much more likely to make it than most other chars. My money's on him and Megaman. But as for that blog, how can that person confirm his or her genuineness? He can't, so that can't be confirmed.

*Thrash*

Smash Cadet
HyperFalcon: In Shadow The Hedgehog(which I own, thank you very much, and they refer to it as "Super Form", not Super Shadow, note the difference),
Shadow The Hedgehog Official Soundtrack: EVENT:SUPER SHADOW
Mmmm... official. Tasty.

Phantom_Sonic

Smash Cadet
I want Sonic in this game! He is on the top of my most wanted list! I have reasons of why he should be in. 4, to be exact. I only post them when Sonic haters come on the Nintendo forums. I would post them now, but I'm tired. I'll post them toorrow if I feel like it.

Bm3

Smash Rookie
Yeah if there is any 3rd party character that deserves a spot in smash its sonic.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
*Thrash*, you do know that everybody makes mistakes, right? Even Nintendo has made mistakes on their own guides. You may want to actually show a bit more than a few words to prove your point. Regardless, many still refer to him as Hyper Shadow. As will I regardless.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
The ending of that trailer was kind of cool, whether I think Sonic should be in SSBB or not. It made me think how they could have made different trailer endings for each 3rd party char. I think it was in SamuraiPanda's thread that I read they would announce all the chars before the game's release, and different trailer endings for each 3rd party char could be a slick way to do that. It's probably more work than it's worth, though.

Shark X

Smash Lord
HyperFalcon said:
*Thrash*, you do know that everybody makes mistakes, right? Even Nintendo has made mistakes on their own guides. You may want to actually show a bit more than a few words to prove your point. Regardless, many still refer to him as Hyper Shadow. As will I regardless.
Even though there are many proven facts to show that Hyper Shadow does not exist?

Grizz Lee

Smash Apprentice
Quote : Down B: Bounce: sonic spins straight down like yoshi or bowser, but instead of landing lag, he immediately launches back into the air. (Sonic3, SA2)

Thats the reason those moves have lag time, because if they don't they become the ultimate move. People would just constantly Down B, and bounce around the eniter map, because when they are in the air, they can attack. Gottem.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And it's completely worthless on the ground. It should have a bit of starting lag(Falcon Kick starting, maybe?) to even that out. And he always bounces afterwards, in all games that use it.

kaid

Smash Master
Give it low priority, so someone can jab him out of bounce spam, but keep it fast enough that he can use it as a suprise attack.

Pvt. Falcon

Smash Apprentice
smoothballer said:
Wait, where's the Jigglypuff move? Ya know, the main move that everybody knows Sonic for.....is that your running A? His B should be just like Jigglypuffs B....... And also, he should be the fastest character in the game, without having to "spam the A button."
I think the B move would be like it is in the classic Sonic games (2 and 3),
where you would push the button multiple times and then let it go. Getting it to go faster manually could be broken, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom