• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
May I please see a link to Sakurai's poll results? I want to see who people wanted in Brawl. Thanks to the person that does.=P

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Masked Man could be the only fighter from EB that wouldnt use Psi,save for Pokey.

But considering how LAZY they where with Lucas,HE DOESNT EVEN USE A STICK HAS A WEAPON DAMMIT,HE USES POLES AND RODS!
/rant
I know, those things annoy me too.

But anyway he's 1 of only 3 characters that I want in SSB4. The other 2 being Mewtwo and Bowser Jr.

He does look cool, but he's only in Mother 3, right? Since the Mother series has ended (hasn't it?), do you think he'd make a good representative villain for the entire series?
Yeah he's only in Mother 3, and yeah its ended from what I know. Pokey would probably be a better representation, but I'd choose Masked Man over him any day.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Mother is over

Considering Giygas would be to extreme(He doesnt even have a body!),Pokey is the villain of Earthbound.

Claus would be like...if Mother got a villain.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
May I please see a link to Sakurai's poll results? I want to see who people wanted in Brawl. Thanks to the person that does.=P
Here they are.

For those that are to lazy to click it, here are the results:

1st

King Dedede(5)

2nd

Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)

3rd

Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)

4th

Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
*Is back~*

It's funny how people say Geno is popular, when he clearly isn't, outside of...what? Here? I don't see any Geno merchendise. I don't see him in any of the cross over games Nintendo and SE have had recently. Where exactly is the proof of his populairity? A poll where 4 people voted for him? =P

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
*Is back~*

It's funny how people say Geno is popular, when he clearly isn't, outside of...what? Here? I don't see any Geno merchendise. I don't see him in any of the cross over games Nintendo and SE have had recently. Where exactly is the proof of his populairity? A poll where 4 people voted for him? =P
We're done with that, we came to a conclusion basically.

And Sakurai made this poll, it's not just some random poll.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
What conclusion was that, exactly? I can't seem to figure it out.

The poll is a joke, in the sense that 90% of the people misinterprate it. It wasn't fully translated, there are obviously things missing from it (aka Sonic, the most requested character) and at least one of those Geno entries is actually just asking for the music. And its still only 4 people.

Basically every character who's made it in on popularity is actually...you know...popular. There is merchendise, they aren't confined to one game, ect ect. Geno's not popular though, and that's why he's never shown up again outside of that little cameo.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Greil Mercenaries for SSB4 please..

Soren being the most important,not counting Ike of course...and Greil.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I think it was along the lines of saying that a character definately wont, or will, be in is just stupid. As none of us know for certain.

The poll is a joke, in the sense that 90% of the people misinterprate it. It wasn't fully translated, there are obviously things missing from it (aka Sonic, the most requested character) and at least one of those Geno entries is actually just asking for the music. And its still only 4 people.
Of course Sonic wasn't included, as he'd almost definately come first. And people translated his letters, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it wasn't fully translated. Also:

it could mean any number of things, but i think it's worth noting that these are the poll entries/suggestions from japanese fans that Sakurai has presented to the public.
So even though it was "still only 4 people", it was Sakurai who presented this to the public. And he chose these results from all his E-Mails I think. When making SSB4, it's most likely that Sakurai, or Nintendo, will go to this poll to see who to include first, seeing as though they included almost all the characters wanted in Melee, in Brawl.

Basically every character who's made it in on popularity is actually...you know...popular. There is merchendise, they aren't confined to one game, ect ect. Geno's not popular though, and that's why he's never shown up again outside of that little cameo.
He's popular to the fans, and Nintendo knows it now. He has about as equal a chance of not being in, as he has of being in. Saying that it's either one way or the other is just stupid.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace

Not confined to one game? ICs, R.O.B., and Pit all beg to differ. Second, you using faulty logic by the fact that only four people voted for Geno. The entire poll was not that large of a sampling size, so 4 out of ninety some is actually a decent percent. Third, it has already been explained why Geno hasn't reappeared, and that is because he is owned by Square Enix, not Nintendo. Geno actually is quite popular, but not among younger crowds who never had a chance to play his game. I guarantee his popularity will go up when SMRPG is released on the Virtual Console. (as it already has been in Japan and the PAL region)

EDIT: XD, I just got Sarnath'd by Pluvia.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well it's not a matter of them, as a matter of one person suggesting them. <_>

If you counted all the FE characters who have been suggested once by everyone here, you'd have the whole cast for each game.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Well it's not a matter of them, as a matter of one person suggesting them. <_>

If you counted all the FE characters who have been suggested once by everyone here, you'd have the whole cast for each game.
You have to think of it as a percent. There was a small sampling size that took part in the poll, and of those, a decent percentage voted for Geno. Polls generally reflect the opinion of the community as a whole. Albeit, this was only really a sampling of core gamers, (since I doubt any people who aren't that into video games said anything) but that means Geno is popular among the core gaming community. If you look at the poll, you will see that Geno is considered to be just as popular as Ike, Ridley, and Diddy Kong, who are undisputed popular video game characters. You can also see that he is more popular than some characters who made it in the game, like Toon Link, Olimar, and Lucas.

As far as every FE character being suggested on smashboards, look at the number of people here. The number of people actually suggesting characters is so large that those 1 or 2 votes for a character represent a small percentage of the community. Geno had a much larger percentage of supporters.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Hmmm.......

Soren, Mia, Black Knight, Micaiah, Sothe, Hector, Sheedna (or however you spell it), Eliwood, Lyn, Greil, Shinon, Arya (but who wants this person in anyway?), Ashnard, and Nephenee.

Wow, thats quite a bit. Most of them are just from Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance. I could go on. I know all these things from personal experience

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
If you look at the poll, you will see that Geno is considered to be just as popular as Ike, Ridley, and Diddy Kong, who are undisputed popular video game characters. You can also see that he is more popular than some characters who made it in the game, like Toon Link, Olimar, and Lucas.
This is a bit misleading, due to (as you said) the small sample size of the poll.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
The poll doesn't particularly matter because Sakurai picked which ones got shown on the website. It makes sense that Dedede is at the top, as Sakurai hand picked which letters were shown. This just more likely means Sakurai was a fan of Geno more then anything else, as I recall him saying somewhere he was fond of the character anyway.

But as Pieman has said, Geno isn't worth going out of your way for 3rd party legal issues. Little to no people will buy the game if Geno was in it, but that's hardly be the case for a character like Sonic, Snake or Megaman. I know what you said about Shiek and the others, but they don't require a 3rd party's consent, thus they don't matter.

I was more saying Liquid as an example than a serious suggestion. To hell with Sakurai if the series ever gets more then one character before SSB10.

Although I don't see why you're all so against Shadow. The most likely reason is the fact that he has as many haters as he has fans like Krystal and Waluigi, and that he doesn't have a history of showing up in the classic Sonic games. The fact he didn't show up in the classics matters little, though, as the classics wern't on Nintendo consoles. I like Shadow solely because of Sonic Adventure 2 and wished they killed him off, or at least didn't so poorly do his resurrection. . .Or make Shadow the Hedgehog the game be so terrible.

In any case, by what SSB game can you see Sonic getting another character, and should it be Tails or Knuckles? For SSB4, we'll have to settle with Eggman being a boss for Sonic representation.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Sonic will get another rep by SSB5 for sure.

But,thats thinking ahead....what will SSB4 be called?

"SUPER SMASH BROTHERS,STADIUM!!!11"....*is shot*

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Super Smash Bros. Clash sounds best to me, but the title doesn't particularly matter. It could be called something stupid like Super Smash Bros. Smash, we'd still buy it.

A ironic thing is that most of the most likely newcomers left would probably be unlockable, thus, knowing Sakurai, we wouldn't know about them until after release. K. Rool, Black Shadow, Ridley, Mewtwo and Bowser Jr. are all highly likely to be unlockable, so we won't get them confirmed, which means we'll have to deal with less deserving/wanted characters confirmed first. Most frustrating.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Wario was confirmed first and imo he was the most deserving character added to Brawl <_<

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Of course Sonic wasn't inzluded, as he'd almost definately come first. And people translated his letters, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it wasn't fully translated. Also:
...Now that doesn't make sense. Why would they exclude him if he got in first? He wasn't confirmed at the time or anything like that. And I don't know where to begin on the translation part. Very few of the letters were actually translated, and as I said before, one of the ones mentioning Geno was just requesting SMRPG music. (And another I remember just mentioned Geno but didn't actually request him) They were not fully translated in the fact that the people translating the stuff didn't finish.

So even though it was "still only 4 people", it was Sakurai who presented this to the public. And he chose these results from all his E-Mails I think. When making SSB4, it's most likely that Sakurai, or Nintendo, will go to this poll to see who to include first, seeing as though they included almost all the characters wanted in Melee, in Brawl.
Not all the emails were translated. The full poll was never disclosed, unlike Melee's. Geno's position is unknown, (Though his conitinued absense from even the Nintendo/SE cross overs/no one ever talking about him outside of things like this, points to him not being as popular as you say) Heck, there are probably more people yelling for the Koopa Kiids to return in a new Mario game than Geno, yet they still don't show up, because its really just a small amount, no matter how loud they say it.

He's popular to the fans, and Nintendo knows it now. He has about as equal a chance of not being in, as he has of being in. Saying that it's either one way or the other is just stupid.
If Nintendo knows it, where was he int aht recent basket ball game with Mario and FF characters? Or Itadaki Street DS? His chances are no where near to being equal. While being 3rd party, having one real game, and being a supporting character are all things that individually don't mean you're out of smash, having all three at the same time is quite another.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
A ironic thing is that most of the most likely newcomers left would probably be unlockable, thus, knowing Sakurai, we wouldn't know about them until after release. K. Rool, Black Shadow, Ridley, Mewtwo and Bowser Jr. are all highly likely to be unlockable, so we won't get them confirmed, which means we'll have to deal with less deserving/wanted characters confirmed first. Most frustrating.
Are you acknowledging that even the most discussed newcomers here on these forums and elsewhere aren't good enough to serve as the frontrunners of a new game? If so, it sounds like you're finally starting to get it.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Are you acknowledging that even the most discussed newcomers here on these forums and elsewhere aren't good enough to serve as the frontrunners of a new game? If so, it sounds like you're finally starting to get it.
On the contrary, there's nobody else really to be "front runners". The problem is they're likely to be unlockable. In all sense, Dedede should've been unlockable, having all the Kirby starters on the starting roster was random. Do we really want the same thing with the Donkey Kong series and K. Rool? No, K. Rool will be unlockable. Same goes for the other characters I mentioned.

If they aren't going to be the front runners, who will be? Third parties? If not, those characters will have to awkwardly be on the starting roster (Some of them anyway) to get some hype from characters people actually want.

And the characters I mentioned aren't more deserving then Wario, Diddy, Meta Knight and Dedede, I'm not claiming that. Wario was most deserving for Brawl, although Diddy was more deserving then Wario for Melee because Donkey Kong wasn't in decline in that period of time.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
On the contrary, there's nobody else really to be "front runners". The problem is they're likely to be unlockable. In all sense, Dedede should've been unlockable, having all the Kirby starters on the starting roster was random. Do we really want the same thing with the Donkey Kong series and K. Rool? No, K. Rool will be unlockable. Same goes for the other characters I mentioned.

If they aren't going to be the front runners, who will be? Third parties? If not, those characters will have to awkwardly be on the starting roster (Some of them anyway) to get some hype from characters people actually want.

And the characters I mentioned aren't more deserving then Wario, Diddy, Meta Knight and Dedede, I'm not claiming that. Wario was most deserving for Brawl, although Diddy was more deserving then Wario for Melee because Donkey Kong wasn't in decline in that period of time.
But why are they likely to be unlockable? What's your reasoning?

Apparently, Dedede got the most votes on Sakurai's little poll thinger, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was planned to appear in Melee as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second paragraph. Which characters are you talking about?

*Personally, I think both Diddy Kong and Wario deserved to be in the most myself.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Dedede was allegedly planned for the original, but not Melee for some reason.

At this time, I can't really think of a character who'd most likely not be locked.....maybe Captain Rainbow if he's in, or one of the old "shoe ins" like Ridley or Krystal if they make it.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
K. Rool, Black Shadow, Ridley, Mewtwo, Bowser Jr.

Bowser Jr. isn't as likely as the others, but that's not the point, he's likely to be unlockable so that all the characters from the series aren't on the starting roster, as is the case for the other characters. Ridley is the only one of those I can really see on the starting roster due to sheer popularity.

Meta Knight was the one suggested for Melee, but turned down due to Sakurai not wanting to feature his own characters. In the original, Sakurai wanted to include Bowser, Dedede, Mewtwo and a FE character. I can't provide you proof, but I've heard these things many times.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
K. Rool, Black Shadow, Ridley, Mewtwo, Bowser Jr.

Bowser Jr. isn't as likely as the others, but that's not the point, he's likely to be unlockable so that all the characters from the series aren't on the starting roster, as is the case for the other characters. Ridley is the only one of those I can really see on the starting roster due to sheer popularity.

Meta Knight was the one suggested for Melee, but turned down due to Sakurai not wanting to feature his own characters. In the original, Sakurai wanted to include Bowser, Dedede, Mewtwo and a FE character. I can't provide you proof, but I've heard these things many times.
All the characters from what series? The 5 characters you listed? If that's what you mean, why can't they all be on the starting roster?

Thanks for correcting me about Meta/Dedede.

EDIT: By the way, by frontrunners, I mean like Pit, Meta Knight, Wario, Snake, and Zero Suit Samus were for Brawl. We knew about them for months before the Dojo opened up.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
K. Rool might be on the starting roster, but he might not, in my opinion. (But its also my opinion that he should never get in at all)

Black Shadow's not as likely as Goroh, in my opinion, and probably won't be in at all. That being said, either Goroh or BS would be locked, seeing Captain Falcon's renewed locked status.

Ridley has the highest chance of being a starter, though there is the possiblity otherwise.

I don't think Mewtwo is getting in either, but he's clearly not going to be a starter even if he was.

Bowser Jr, if in, seems like a good contender for a starter.

...You people really have to stop having a villain mindset. Smash isn't about those guys, its about the stars. >_>

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
...You people really have to stop having a villain mindset. Smash isn't about those guys, its about the stars. >_>
That's one of my issues. Too many villains, mentioned just to "balance" the representatives from each series. I feel like it's unnecessary and not the direction Smash should be heading in.

EDIT: Do you get to play as Black Shadow in any of the F-Zero games?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
You do get to play as Black Shadow, just as you would any of the other racers. If you mean outside of the car, then no.....Not even CF has been playable outside the Blue Falcon in a actual F-Zero game.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
You do get to play as Black Shadow, just as you would any of the other racers. If you mean outside of the car, then no.....Not even CF has been playable outside the Blue Falcon in a actual F-Zero game.
That's why I think it's so funny that Capt. Falcon has all these kick-*** moves; where did they come from? If he can barely represent his own series well, how much more could another out-of-nowhere moveset do? (Does that make sense?)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Only reason I'm mentioning Bowser Jr. is I find it a possibility he might be locked. I find Paper Mario more worthy/likely.

But seriously, please direct me to characters more worthy then the other four villians I've been suggesting? I've realized that Ridley and Mewtwo aren't as likely as we'd like to think, but K. Rool and Black Shadow are locks. Black Shadow has massive popularity in japan, which is what really matters, and would allow Ganondorf to have his own moveset, a pet peeve of fans since Melee. I really don't see what you could have against K. Rool of all people, are you one of the few that favors Dixie over him?

And I was one of the few people that suspected we wern't getting a second F-Zero character in Brawl due to Captain Falcon not being on the starter roster. Who's unlockable and who's not makes more of a difference in speculation then one might expect.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Cap's moves probably come from the game that existed before Sakurai added the NIntendo characters....that dragon thingy. One of the models was using Cap's attacks.

Black Shadow doesn't have massive popularity in Japan. Not at all. What even gave you that idea?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Only reason I'm mentioning Bowser Jr. is I find it a possibility he might be locked. I find Paper Mario more worthy/likely.

But seriously, please direct me to characters more worthy then the other four villians I've been suggesting? I've realized that Ridley and Mewtwo aren't as likely as we'd like to think, but K. Rool and Black Shadow are locks. Black Shadow has massive popularity in japan, which is what really matters, and would allow Ganondorf to have his own moveset, a pet peeve of fans since Melee. I really don't see what you could have against K. Rool of all people, are you one of the few that favors Dixie over him?

And I was one of the few people that suspected we wern't getting a second F-Zero character in Brawl due to Captain Falcon not being on the starter roster. Who's unlockable and who's not makes more of a difference in speculation then one might expect.
Hold on there, partner, you're putting words in my mouth again. All I've asked is to share your reasons why you said all those characters you mentioned would likely be unlockable in the first place.

EDIT: Interesting, Pieman.

WHOA you know who'd be a real WTF character? One of the models from that Dragon game you're talking about.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016

The only next iconic villian that can be in SSB4 is K. Roll. Black Shadow is not so iconic, but he also has his chance.

Samurai Goroh doesn't joins as villian, right? I mean, he would be just as an anti-hero, like Wario.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Goroh's not destroy the world evil, but he's certainly not nice. I'd put him in the same area as Wolf, or even Bowser, rather than Wario.
Bu-but Wario dislikes Mario! So as Goroh dislikes Falcon!

And Bowser HATES Mario. Same as Black Shadow HATES Falcon.

Still, the Wolf area quite works, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom