• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

princesspeachluver13

Banned via Warnings
I want Peppy in for Super Smash Bros. 4. He'd be the best character ever. :(

Though seriously, with all this talk about characters, it makes me wonder which is more important when it comes to picking a character for SSB - popularity or moveset? Is contributing to the game and making a unique moveset a number one priority, or does the need for fanservice trump that in importance?
Okay...for that first idea, that's just...ugh...no, ew.

For the second idea, i think that inclusion in a ssb game is really just a popularity contest. Peppy, for example, would have a beast moveset, but he just isn't popular enough to be included. Shadow Queen, also, is not popular enough, being that she was only in one game. Besides she'd mostlikely be a peach clone rather than her own character. At least, that's what i think.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Also, the trophies are blatantly inaccurate.

If you follow them, Shadow wasn't in SA2, there were no Paper Marios before Super Paper Mario, and Slippy has a likeable personality. The trophies should be made by those who created the item/character.

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
Also, the trophies are blatantly inaccurate.

If you follow them, Shadow wasn't in SA2, there were no Paper Marios before Super Paper Mario, and Slippy has a likeable personality. The trophies should be made by those who created the item/character.
Are you being Sarcastic, because it's hard to tell...

If not, you're an idiot. Sorry, but it's true. I know that for a fact that Shadow was in SA2; I owned the game a few years back. I owned every Paper Mario, including Super Paper Mario. Not so sure on the Slippy part; never was a true Slippy fan.

So yeah, If you're being sarcastic, my bad. But if you're being honest, then I'm sorry to say that you're missing out on a lot of Nintendo's releases.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
Remember that on the back of the SSB64 box, the word melee was on it. On the back of melee box, brawl was on it.
The only word suitable thats on the brawl box is Collide

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
Remember that on the back of the SSB64 box, the word melee was on it. On the back of melee box, brawl was on it.
The only word suitable thats on the brawl box is Collide
I noticed that too, just never posted to be honest. Grats man, you pwnd. I just glanced at the back of the Brawl case, and it said at the top "Nintendo Worlds Collide"

Super Smash Bros. 64
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. Collide

What's next...Super Smash Bros. Infinite? (Not bad, eh?)

EDIT: Sorry for double posting
EDIT 2: I looked at the 64 case, and it has some Smashable names:
-Collide
-Ultimate Showdown
-Ultimate
-Showdown
-Bash

btw, Brawl was on the back too, just said "Brawlin'".

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping for possibly Tails and Knuckles to be in the next Smash Bros (although it seems highly unlikely) plus Megaman and maybe Waluigi.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Alright...First off, let's take for granted, for just the time that it takes you to read this, that they are already producing SSB4 (Remember, they started discussing the next Smash right after Melee was released).

"Impossible", you say? "They haven't even come out with the next-gen console", you say? Well, that's the point. Nintendo IS developing it's next home-console, but until they have enough of the hardware worked out, it's impossible to develop games for it, right? Well, let's continue taking things for granted, shall we? Let's take for granted that Sakurai has already been chosen to direct SSB4, however he (or more accurately, his team) can't start programming right away, can they? So, of course, he's going to be spending a few years stewing around, drawing up the blueprints for SSB4, of course.

Basically, it's a long way of saying he is going to be deciding whether Tripping is going to be staying in or not at this very moment (hypothetically). But more importantly, he's forming up a...general idea...of what the roster is going to look like ('cause I know, and he knows, that's what we all care about the most).

And, as you know, many people were dissatisfied with some of the flaws in Brawl, so they are all going to be on guard and more speculative by the time the next Smash comes out. To avoid more displeasements (and thus make more dough, theoretically), Sakurai will have to find public opinion. It's fairly obvious the the Intarwebs is made up of of nothing but opinions (and pr0nz; look at wikipedia). So yeah, he'll probably have lurkers translating and showing what we're all whining about (however, it is important to note that he'll mainly be looking at what the Japanese are saying).

Long story short, the time to whine and complain is now.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
<whineandcomplain>Why didn't you put Tom Nook in Brawl Sakurai? Tom Nook can fight. It was OBVIOUS that the makers of Animal Crossing wanted Tom Nook in Brawl because otherwise he wouldn't have randomly be put in a fight club. PUT TOM NOOK IN BRAWL. D:</whineandcomplain>

I think the best way for SSB4 to be released would be something entirely different from the hype-building Dojo:
1. Finish game almost 100%; DO NOT RUSH AT ALL.
2. During final bug testing, release first trailer to public. Reveal some Newcomers and hype fans.
3. Get ALL translations done. Depending on how long this takes it should be set up so that they will be done a month or two after the trailer.
5. After translations are done, release another trailer with the release which is in a few weeks (!!).
6. Release in all regions simultaneously.
7. ???
8. PROFIT. LOTS OF PROFIT.

a-maz-ing

Smash Journeyman
Couple things I want to see in the next Smash...

I really hope they take a look back at Melee and see why it was the best selling game on the Gamecube. Make the next Smash fun for both casual and competitive players, something Melee accomplished with flying colors. If Nintendo really insists in keeping Brawl's watered down gameplay then I hope to see default and competitive settings (things like histun, shieldstun, analog shielding, no auto-sweetspot ledges). There's no reason to try to alienate one group when you can please both so easily.I like both games so I don't care which one it plays like

No more Smash Ball, add a super gauge. So simple, take out the random luck factor while having wicked Final Smashes still available. With a super gauge you can also have different Final Smash levels for more variety. Of course make Final Smashes altogether optional.

I agree with this.
Get rid of all those restrictions like 3 minutes for replays and pause camera restrictions. Have an online Smash server where we can send our screenshots (and possibly replays) like Bungie.net does for Halo.

Better online gaming. People should be able to host public games with their own personal settings that people can find and join by entering in their own game search settings. Have a quick match option for people that just want to jump into a game. No more friend codes. Voice chat. A party system and lobby for players to get together pre-game. Do something about the lag.

More options in stage builder. Allow them to be played online. Let us search online in game and on the web for levels and download them.
Still agreeing with you
New and old characters, Bring some newcomers like Mega Man (Classic or X) and Ridley (I don't care if you have to shrink him), bring back some oldies like Mewtwo all revamped and kickass, and Dr. Mario and Roy can be clone alternate costumes for Mario and Marth.
I like this except having roy be marth's costume change is dumb cuz they diff ppl

Declone Ganon. Seriously, it's ******** that his moves are based on C. Falcon.

The TRUTH.

New stages of course with some old favorites. Hold a poll on the Smash Bros site or something, see what the fans want back.

Rainbow cruise, mushroom kingdom, SSBM final destination

Assuming SSB4 will be on a new Nintendo console, I think it's time to finally retire the GCN controller we've all grown to love. But still give us multiple controller options if the next console is just going to be a Wii 2.0. Give us a new traditional gamepad, ditch the current Classic controller and do better.
i dont wana let go but...

I agree on this one :)

That would be both interesting and cool. I wish for one that ANY StarFox representative in the next game WON'T have any Landmaster's; they're pretty cheap. And as for Sonic, how 'bout him turning into that werewolf thing that he does in Sonic Unleashed? That seems a bit more fair than that "Super Sonic" coughcoughcheapcoughcough.

I agree on the Starfox part(Falco could get arwing, fox could get great fox, and wolf could get landmaster) but not on Sonic. for one, i heard werehog is why the game sucks. two, just no. Super Sonic pwns werehog
Anyway my SSB4 ideas off the top of my head:
New characters:
-Ganondorf with his own move set
-Mega man or X, or both
-Zero
-bowser jr/shadow mario
-Ridley
-Dark samus
-mewtwo, but as a better character
-new(good)pokemon
-paper mario
-Shadow
-knuckles
-emerl
-Issac
-Custom robo

B4 any one says anything, u don't know wat you are talking about if you say that Dark Samus would be a clone of samus. They are the same as Luigi and Mario, actually less...Same goes for shadow but he is closer to sonic than mario is to luigi. And I luv paper mario. finally emerl is for my dream idea: "Broken mode" A charcter who can have attributes and moves of all the other characters. Ex: Meta-Knights jumps, ikes Fsmash, Sonic's speed, Marth's down b, etc...actually that might be too broken but you get the idea (hopefully)

Final Smash(FS) changes(there was too much laziness if you ask me...)(also i included some for my wanted characters:
-Give ganondorf the ability to be an invincible Ganon with the Trident instead of the beast ganon rush for set amount of time
-Each Star fox character with their own
-if there are 2 Links again, give the other one an original.
-make lucario's better if he comes back or give him a new one
-stop being stupid and give Kirby a USEFUL FS. Ufo, tornado, mike, Crash, Magic, etc....
-remove the part of meta knights that harms team mates
-Please give Dk a real FS or edit the current one
-diddy's could be improved
-paper mario could accidently open the void and it would suck in foes. Pressing the right buttons/"a" rapidly does more damage. does 10%-100%. knockback is mid high but victims have all their jumps and specials to use in air. A less broken one would be art attack plus super nova. he would aim at foes and cause big explosions, like snake's. But it has bigger range, more knockback, and less damage.
-Dark Samus would go in boost ball, bounce across screen for 14% each hit for 5 secs.
then she would stop and make 2 clones and all 3 of them would do a phazon shield (30%)
finally, she would remove her clones as she went in background and fired one of 2 beams(u get to pik)A)a rapid firing beam that has almost unnoticable knockback, or a slower beam that has an 89% of killing you. it is guranteed to hit one foe. the entire FS last about 15-20 secs.
-SHadow uses chaos control 3 times and at each place he stops, does chaos blast(35%). Mid knock back.Team mates can move.
-Issac uses Charon, Iris, or JUDGEMENT!

new Stages:
-I always wanted a bowser castle stage with magma.
-ganondorf castle
-a new Final destination
-doom ship(the things from SMB3) level
-final battle from SPM

Ideas:
-Like said earlier, a super gauge would be better than FSes being items.
-more custom stage tools
-make all star fun again. and give more heart containers.
-bring Boss mode back

Subspace emissary:where do i start? lol
-remove great maze
-add dialouge or text
-add enemies from nintendo games and get rid of the custom enemies
-Spread out the love to other characters
-No last minute revealing final boss and wasting the excitement. seriously I was actually excited from the giant space ship till the Great maze. having tabu appear once b4 you fought him was a waste. oh yea next time master hand needs to be playable or fightable

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
King K. Rool will be in the next smash bros game as a Playable Character, because did you guys know that he is one of the most highly requested Characters to be Playable for the next smash bros game. So he will be in.

He even has higher chances to be in then Ridley.

n88

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm hoping for King K. Rool, too. We need more villains. I agree with most of a-maz-ing's ideas, but I don't want any Sonic characters besides Sonic. Maybe a Shadow alternate costume for Sonic? I agree that the super bar is a better idea than the smash ball, as long as you could turn it off.

I would like to see a Wolf Link on the roster, as well as Bowser Jr., Ridley (if possible), and Dark Samus (If she could get a unique move set).

I would love to see a Soul Calibur character make it in, but there are all sorts of problems with that. But Link made it into a Soul game, so you never know.

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
New and old characters, Bring some newcomers like Mega Man (Classic or X) and Ridley (I don't care if you have to shrink him), bring back some oldies like Mewtwo all revamped and kickass, and Dr. Mario and Roy can be clone alternate costumes for Mario and Marth.

I like this except having roy be marth's costume change is dumb cuz they diff ppl
Ummmm, all the clones are different in AT LEAST one way, not just Roy and Marth. Dr. Mario has a better chance IMO than Roy does of ever making it back in. Stop isolating just one clone, and pay attention to all of them. sheesh.

But I do like your idea of Bowser's Castle w/magma for a stage; that'd be tight.
And as for the sonic part...Super Sonic = cheap win.
WereSonic = fair win, because at-least you won't be flying around the screen for like 30 seconds

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
King K. Rool will be in the next smash bros game as a Playable Character, because did you guys know that he is one of the most highly requested Characters to be Playable for the next smash bros game. So he will be in.

Will he be like Bowser height, or super tall or something? I wouldn't mind if he was in, in fact, that'd be cool. I always wanted to have K. Rool as a punching bag XD

gantrain05

Smash Master

i don't think that its 100% if they can get him to look.......less gay im all for it, but his DKC appearance is just aweful. they made bowser look badass they can do it to K.Rool.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
I think that two third parties are enough, my opinion and yes I do hate Megaman, but that is because he looks dumb, (not to offend anyone) and the reason I just think he would not fit in is because don't you guys think he would be a Samus Clone? I mean they have alot in common like their arm cannons. Just asking.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Link, Meta Knight and Marth all have a sword. That means they all are clones!

Your argument fails again.

The fact that Samus and Megaman both have a similar weapon doesn't make them bound to be clones.
Judging a character by their looks is pretty stupid, as well, because looks don't make a character at all. Not to mention that looks are an absolute personal taste, nothing more. Otherwise we wouldn't have characters like Mario, who doesn't really look cool, awesome or "sexy" to begin with.

Megaman is a very viable choice. He has a lot of history with Nintendo, ALL Megaman-subseries at least originated on a Nintendo console.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I think that two third parties are enough, my opinion and yes I do hate Megaman, but that is because he looks dumb, (not to offend anyone) and the reason I just think he would not fit in is because don't you guys think he would be a Samus Clone? I mean they have alot in common like their arm cannons. Just asking.
no, he wouldn't be a samus clone at all i don't think, i'd see him shooting like little power beam bullets that move about the speed of wolfs blaster and have no hitstun and can shoot just a little bit faster than wolfs, maybe like 2% dmg per shot, and also give him the option to charge it like samus's charge shot, but thats as far as the similarities end imo, they could give him alot of different attacks, i mean they have so many megaman games to choose from they could pick any power. and i was thinking his recovery could be something like Rush comes in underneath him and jumps up some distance and then megaman could jump off of him, kind of like warios bike but vertical instaed of horizontal. i dunno just some ideas, i would love megaman in ssb4

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Link, Meta Knight and Marth all have a sword. That means they all are clones!

Your argument fails again.

The fact that Samus and Megaman both have a similar weapon doesn't make them bound to be clones.
Judging a character by their looks is pretty stupid, as well, because looks don't make a character at all. Not to mention that looks are an absolute personal taste, nothing more. Otherwise we wouldn't have characters like Mario, who doesn't really look cool, awesome or "sexy" to begin with.

Megaman is a very viable choice. He has a lot of history with Nintendo, ALL Megaman-subseries at least originated on a Nintendo console.
Alright alright, I guess your right, but hey I know I can be failed sometimes, but I will just stop so we don't get into a another arguement.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Mega Man would have the possibility of sharing some Standard moves with Samus, for sure. I can see him having (at least something similar to) her Standard Combo, F-Smash, D-Smash, N-Air, B-Air, D-Air... But as far as Specials, the only thing he'd have that would be remotely similar would be the Mega Buster, which would be sort of like the Charge Shot. There would still definitely be some differences, though.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Yeah that It hink 2 third parties are enough, but then again. Come to think of it. There are other Third Parties that could appear. Wouldn't anyone like Pacman. Well here are some.

Pac-Man

Sora (Although I am confuse about him. Isn't he a disney character seeing he is in a disney game which is Kingdom Hearts)

Megaman (Sure I don't like him, but hey since many of you like him, it is your opinion)

Ryu

Cloud

Rayman

Geno (Although I dont get how he is a Third Party. I mean he was in a Mario game wasn't he?)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yeah that It hink 2 third parties are enough
No.

There are other Third Parties that could appear.
Yes.

Wouldn't anyone like Pacman.
No.

Sora (Although I am confuse about him. Isn't he a disney character seeing he is in a disney game which is Kingdom Hearts)
Double Thirdparty. He is owned by Disney and Square. He only made one appearance in a spin-off game - Chain of Memories - otherwise he has no relevance to Nintendo. At all.

Most likely will be in Smash 4.

If you mean Ryu from Street Fighter, then yes, he has a chance, though Megaman would be taken over him to represent Capcom. Other than that, Yes.

No. Cloud has even less relevance to Nintendo, as he only made a cameo in Chain of Hearts. Watch Brawl Taunts 2 for the rest of my opinion on him.

Eh... Although he appeared on several Nintendo consoles, Ubisoft isn't really the biggest company. Why do you think he'd be a viable Third Party choice? I can't see him over stronger franchises of other companies like Castlevania, Megaman, Street Fighter, Tales, Tekken, Sonic...

Geno (Although I dont get how he is a Third Party. I mean he was in a Mario game wasn't he?)
He's actually more a borderliner than anything else. Super Mario RPG was developed by Square-enix, and Square holds the rights on Geno, however, he's actually considered being first party and part of the Mario franchise, though.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Yes, Cloud is from Final Fantasy. The game he starred in was only on the PS and PC. In fact, the ONLY time he has appeared on a Nintendo console was in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Hence him being a very unlikely character for Smash Bros.

Pac-Man is fairly likely if you ask me. Pac-Man is an undeniably important video game character and Namco and Nintendo have gone so far as to make a Mario Kart game with some Pac-Man characters in it.

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
Oh and isn't Cloud from Final Fantasy or am I just confuseing him for someone else that looks like him.
yes, he's made by Square Enix in FF7 and others, I'm not too keen on the FF series simply because I don't have the time to play them.

I would like to see (if any) Mickey Mouse from Kingdom Hearts 2 with the hood as his primary costume. I'd prefer Megaman ANY TIME over MM, but just giving a thought.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I would like to see (if any) Mickey Mouse from Kingdom Hearts 2 with the hood as his primary costume. I'd prefer Megaman ANY TIME over MM, but just giving a thought.
Mickey is highly unlikely because Sakurai himself stated that Smash is a game where videogame characters fight it out. Not anime, cartoons, comic books, or anything else.

Roihu

Smash Ace
Ummmm, all the clones are different in AT LEAST one way, not just Roy and Marth. Dr. Mario has a better chance IMO than Roy does of ever making it back in. Stop isolating just one clone, and pay attention to all of them. sheesh.

But I do like your idea of Bowser's Castle w/magma for a stage; that'd be tight.
And as for the sonic part...Super Sonic = cheap win.
WereSonic = fair win, because at-least you won't be flying around the screen for like 30 seconds
Are we calling Landmasters cheap, too, cause I don't see it.
Super Sonic is NOT cheap. He can get one kill plus damage. There are very rare occasions were he can get 2 kills. Unlike Fox's Landmaster where he can get 2 kills easy.

no, he wouldn't be a samus clone at all i don't think, i'd see him shooting like little power beam bullets that move about the speed of wolfs blaster and have no hitstun and can shoot just a little bit faster than wolfs, maybe like 2% dmg per shot, and also give him the option to charge it like samus's charge shot, but thats as far as the similarities end imo, they could give him alot of different attacks, i mean they have so many megaman games to choose from they could pick any power. and i was thinking his recovery could be something like Rush comes in underneath him and jumps up some distance and then megaman could jump off of him, kind of like warios bike but vertical instaed of horizontal. i dunno just some ideas, i would love megaman in ssb4
Then he'd be a Fox clone. :ohwell: (well, the laser part)

Yeah that It hink 2 third parties are enough, but then again. Come to think of it. There are other Third Parties that could appear. Wouldn't anyone like Pacman. Well here are some.

Pac-Man I'm borderline on this one. While I wouldn't mind him getting in, I don't think he has much of a chance.

Sora (Although I am confuse about him. Isn't he a disney character seeing he is in a disney game which is Kingdom Hearts) I'm pretty sure he's only owned by Square Enix. But he could also be owned by Disney. I don't know. He'd be a good choice for SSB4, but we have a lot of other options.

Megaman (Sure I don't like him, but hey since many of you like him, it is your opinion) At least...

Ryu Hell no.

Cloud Look at Brawl Taunts. That's exactly how you sound.

Rayman He has about as much chance as Crash getting in. I'd love Crash, but Rayman wouldn't be too bad either.

Geno (Although I dont get how he is a Third Party. I mean he was in a Mario game wasn't he?) Made by Square, and fanboys, get freaking over him. I understand he's a main character in Mario RPG, and I've played it, and unless he gets some unexpected giant role towards the end, I see nothing too special about him.
Opinions in bold.

Double Thirdparty. He is owned by Disney and Square. He only made one appearance in a spin-off game - Chain of Memories - otherwise he has no relevance to Nintendo. At all.
Don't call Chain of Memories a spin-off. Last time I checked, a spin-off wasn't a necessary part of the main storyline. And he does have a chance.
If you mean Ryu from Street Fighter, then yes, he has a chance, though Megaman would be taken over him to represent Capcom. Other than that, Yes.
I'm sure I can say he has less of a chance than Sora. I mean, come on, Ryu? I'd be pissed if he actually got in.
No. Cloud has even less relevance to Nintendo, as he only made a cameo in Chain of Hearts. Watch Brawl Taunts 2 for the rest of my opinion on him.
Yeah, and the cameo counts for nothing. And yes, please watch Brawl Taunts 2.

He's actually more a borderliner than anything else. Super Mario RPG was developed by Square-enix, and Square holds the rights on Geno, however, he's actually considered being first party and part of the Mario franchise, though. I don't get what's important about him, but seeing him in wouldn't be bad, it's just it'd be unlikely.
Opinions in bold.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Cloud is from Final Fantasy. The game he starred in was only on the PS and PC. In fact, the ONLY time he has appeared on a Nintendo console was in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Hence him being a very unlikely character for Smash Bros.
I think I mentioned this before(?)
Most Popular Characters in Japan in order are--
1. Mario
2. Cloud
3. Yoshi
4. Solid Snake
5. Slime
6. ?
7. Chocobo
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?

In America, it's--
1. Mario
2. Link
3. Snake
4. Samus
5. Sonic
6. Pac-Man
7. Cloud
8. Master Cheif
9. Pikachu
10. Lara Croft

I think the argument about no Final Fantasy character has more importance over any other is dead after I read this a while back.

Also, Snake does have history with Nintendo, but after a while, Konami left Nintendo behind by making every recent generation game on Sony, other than Twin Snakes. So I can't see this argument about Snake's importance with his supposedly 'deep' history with Nintendo being full proof.

While Final Fantasy has stuck to Nintendo a bit more than Metal Gear has, Cloud is the most prominent character in the Final Fantasy franchise. Cloud would represent Final Fantasy/Square-Enix, not just Final Fantasy VII.

Roihu said:
I'm pretty sure he's only owned by Square Enix. But he could also be owned by Disney. I don't know. He'd be a good choice for SSB4, but we have a lot of other options.
Sora is an 'original' Disney character.

Also, this whole issue about "videogame characters only", nothing from anything else is for Brawl. We don't know if they're going to change things for the next one. I know it's realistic that characters like Naruto or whatever anime you people watch these days aren't going to make it in. But I can see box-office gold characters that successfully transitioned into videogames make it in, like Yoda.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Also, Snake does have history with Nintendo, but after a while, Konami left Nintendo behind by making every recent generation game on Sony, other than Twin Snakes. So I can't see this argument about Snake's importance with his supposedly 'deep' history with Nintendo being full proof.
Snake's first game was on the NES, even if most of the sequels weren't. Besides, Kojima and Sakurai are good buddies. I doubt Snake will ever return considering MGS4 was the last Metal Gear game featuring Snake.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Snake's first game was on the NES, even if most of the sequels weren't. Besides, Kojima and Sakurai are good buddies. I doubt Snake will ever return considering MGS4 was the last Metal Gear game featuring Snake.
I doubt Ike's ever going to be featured in another FE game, but I'd be lying if I told you that I think he won't return in another Smash Bros game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom