• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official: SSBPD unsupported; source code released.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
The world of chess takes advantage of Elo systems, and it's very useful. Melee needs this too... How long's the site been down? When will it come back up?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Crimson: Thank you :)

One of my favorite parts of the DB was watching youtube vids of two players, and checking their elo. Whether I've heard of them or not, I had a good idea of their skill level. It's so fun watching the matches and seeing how elo interpreted their skill. Players of 200 points or more than their opponents always won. Players really close in skill had close elo's. I loved seeing an 1800 vs a 1750 player, the quality of play was amazing.

It was also fun tracking up and coming players. Watching Westballz go from 1500-1800+ in 5 months as he ascended into one of the best pro falco players in the nation.

And of course, watching my own elo. I was at about 1350, and hadn't had a tourney rated since February. I played rather well at my last tourney and was looking forward to see if I could finally break that 1400 mark (a personal goal). After breaking it, gotta maintain it; then set a new goal. So much fun.

I want to see where M2K, PP, and Hbox end up after Zenith. And where Mango ends up after winning that STACKED SoCal tournament, beating a solid cast of 1800+ players like Lovage twice (6-0, no less), S2J, Westballz, and Shroomed.

I want to see who will be the 6th player to break 2000 after Armada, PP, Mango, Hbox, and M2K.

I want to see how elo plays out in our ability to predict standings of huge national events, such as FC.

I can't wait for this thing to be up and running again.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It was fun watching my Elo get destroyed at every tournament I went to no matter how well I performed because there were no provisional ratings. :glare:

But yeah, if that got fixed I would be obsessed with my Elo. XD

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I thought the ELO rankings were cool as ****. Obviously a work in progress, but interesting nonetheless. It was crazy seeing local players more fired up than ever because they set ELO goals for themselves; a worldwide player ranking really inspired some people.

But, as I said before, as awesome as the ELO system was, it was just a feature in a greater endeavor: the compilation of smash history. This site was gaining so much steam and growing into something very beautiful. It has/had the potential to do things like nothing ever before, and grow the scene in ways we can only imagine. Truly the most important project the smash community has ever taken.

If you need donations, I'll donate. Whatever it takes. But I would really, really hate for this to die. Save us based Foxlisk, save ussss

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Would the people with the files mind sending me them? I want to keep a backup for a couple reasons. Either upload them as a zip or PM me and i'll giev you an email to send to

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I always did a WoW reference with those ELOs.. if 0.5% of the players can be Gladiators than it would be like top 50 would be that ranking. Wtb the site again. =)

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
looool idk apparently i configured something wrong or something and like 20 people is too much. i'll figure it out, im going to bed now. sorry about the false alarm yall.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Nah, you just failed to interpret my post correctly.

You obviously have to press X or Y to wavedash out of shield, but you don't have to actually physically jump out of your shield. Just your shield drop animation.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Nah, you just failed to interpret my post correctly.

You obviously have to press X or Y to wavedash out of shield, but you don't have to actually physically jump out of your shield. Just your shield drop animation.
Anyone who gave you a hard time about this argument was splitting hairs or being an idiot. I remember reading that when it happened and thinking "holy **** people are annoying."

THANKYOU BASED FOXLISK. THANKYOU.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yo lemme know when y or x does anything other than jump in this game

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
Question... I was looking at the ELO ratings, and Javi's rating is 1565. Is this accurate? Is it because he hasn't played many games against other ELO-rated players? I mean, he could beat PP pretty convincingly at Apex 2012 (based on a few sets, I know, but still).

The Star King

Smash Hero
Good to see it back up :)

Anyone who gave you a hard time about this argument was splitting hairs or being an idiot. I remember reading that when it happened and thinking "holy **** people are annoying."
You're the idiot. Juggleguy kept saying you don't have to "physically jump out of your shield", but you... have to physically jump out of your shield. It's not splitting hairs when someone is 100% wrong. That's like me saying "Jigglypuff has 4 mid-air jumps" and then saying people are splitting hairs when people point out she has 5.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
If anyone here thinks/thought that Juggleguy doesn't understand you have to hit the jump button for wd oos then they should stop posting.

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
First of all, the whole disagreement began because of triggers. He was saying you can let go of shield and then jump instead of actually jumping during the shield. The problem is this is still jumping out of shield (whether you still have the trigger pressed in or not) and it is also a completely inferior way of doing WD out of shield because it basically tacks on extra frames before the jump just so you can get the repress in time to WD.

Top Bottom