• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Power Ranking/State Monthlies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
shh...SP...shhh

i'll tell you a secret later.
it will be faster than you can say "pooptie pewptie pants"
no challenges, don't worry. we have a quick way to make everyone happy :)

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Lol, I personally don't really care about winning money in a MM, it's more about the challenge, the fun, and the chance to prove myself (along with getting the MM on tape ;)) that make me want to play them... however, people won't usually give it their all if it's just friendlies and nothing's on the line, so if it takes money to get a fight I want, then so be it...

And Hazy said it best, no one has the right to ***** after I moved down three spots and didn't ***** :laugh: I don't really feel like the rankings affect me much (though they're still neat to have, don't get me wrong), just as long as I know where I stand. As far as challenge matches go, I might go for that but then again I don't really care enough to go and challenge the people above me for their spot, lol. It'll all come in time, and right now I'm just focussed on improving my game.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
This list is so wack. Not much I can do about it, oh well, it will make me feel better when I utterly destroy those above me.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
we never did our MM, rasta :\
we didn't have time.
but we'll do it next month, hopefully, if we have the monthly tournies we want.

anyway...it's that time again!

new power rankings time!

and this time, i'm actually going to make people post on the boards who they picked and WHY. this will give people more incentive not to be unfair to anyone, because if they do so without good justification, chances are they will be flamed up the ***.

other important info to note:

*coty is no longer with us :(. he's not dead or anything, at least :p

*i don't want to hear input or criticism from any particular list on this thread. if you see something you don't like, talk to the person about it. criticism of the final draft (all 5 people's picks averaged with standard deviation) is very acceptable, though.

*don't take this thread TOO seriously.

panelists will be:

ME
PO PIMPUS
GRAVITY
KOS-MOS

all four of those are going to be permanent panelists from now on.
also, heath will be a panelist (to have a nice combo. norman/okc/edmond/okc/ada, and varying skill level), if he chooses to accept the job again. so...heath, if you're out there, just tell me "no", or put up a list :)

i'm going to double post with my list, since they have very different purposes, so this thread should be updated...soon.

edit: a notice for heath/grav who weren't there to see much action, the OHSNAP OK positions were

3rd) KOS-MOS
4th) Vegafuse
9th) Hazygoose, RastaImposta, South Paw, Zinth
13th) Fresh
17th) Pay$, Po Pimpus, Scud, Shanx
25th) Gt, Keroku, Tire, wut?

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
MY LIST

1) KOS-MOS (most people have recognized him as best in the state. and there's a good reason- he beats everyone most of the time. he fares well against OOSers, too.)

2) Vegafuse (only regularly loses to KOS-MOS...and it's not a huge difference in win ratio, either, not like 80/20 or anything. pablo consistantly owns everyone, including two-stocking shade on a normal basis. he has a sick sheik, a good falco, and an arsenal of other characters he's amazing with.)

3) Shade (amazing tech skill...no mindgames :p kuni can be crazy good, and is the only player in OK that can make me feel like a scrub. pablo also makes me feel like crap though. kuni has long been playing with advanced tactics, and has always been one of the best players. he still holds good status, and he takes good note of the experience tips he gets from pros)

4) Zinth (good marth, not a bad fox, either. zinth is ridiculous when it comes to combo'ing, and takes open opportunities probably better than any other smasher in OK. with some work, he could even be much better. it's all pro steps from here on up.)

5) Hazygoose (i think i've proved myself in that i beat everyone below me at least 51% of the time. my sheik got a crapload better in a short amount of time, and i got pretty far at OHSNAP2, for being non-pro. i also got further than any other oklahoman in low-tier...but that hardly counts. now that my marth can handle fox and IC, i have no problem making quick work of any character i play, so long as i am better than my opoonent in skill. i'm one of the few smashers who think about spacing at every point during a match, i think, and i know when it's safe to do something and not. i even stopped forward smashing! also...mad mindgames help my lack of tech skill :))

6) Scud (faaaaalco. faaaaaalco. brett has good tech, and he's been working on it a lot. he was getting some tips from caveman, and is starting to pull off some very pro crap. like, shine to bair without jumping very high at all, and pillars are becoming more sick, not to mention integrating grabs and lasers. he's got a great sense for the opponent's mind, and can tech chase like no one else from OK)

7) RastaImposta (babac surprised me by totally owning me on my bad day at the last crew battle. i was out of it, but it was still impressive. i was also very impressed with his win over forkgirl, something scud failed to do in tournament- brett won in friendlies, but lost in tourny matches, where it counts. babac has a few things to work on, in terms of tech skill, but he never gives up, and is a master of surprise and upset victories)

8) Gravity (sucks he didn't get to make OHSNAP2...nonetheless, our state's only samus main...grav's got the basics down. once he learns character-specific tactics, i'm pretty sure he will surpass...well, at least up to past me in skill. the same tactics get old, though, and predictable. andy will do fine, though, he always gets better when no one expects it. i hope at the first monthly we have he totally *****)

9) Marc (well, after my sheik got owned i knew i had to do something. thankfully my marth, and the best counterpick character -peach- pulled me out some wins. marc has great skill, and can be underestimated. he loves smashing faces, though, and is very good at capitolizing on mistakes, and at spacing himself in certain situations)

10) Heath (another nonattendee due to business. heath's falco has amazing tech. unfortunately, he always misses crap by a little. he gives himself tons of chances to combo and own, but doesn't finish those chances as much as he could. he'll start to, and then he'll start to get better and better and own even more people in OK)

11) Derrick (awesome marth. unfortunately, he hasn't been to anything in a freaking long time, so i'm judging him on the last time i saw him play. everyone has advanced since then, bigtime, so he's stuck at a lower level of skill in my head. he's got a great game, though, amazing tech skill and combo'ing ability with both marth and sheik. once more people see him in action again i'm sure he'll be top ten.

12) Pay$ (d00b your doc is getting better and better. not a bad falco, either. the youngest smasher i've lost to...paemon has a new trick up his sleeve everytime i see him. he's got a really steep learning curve, and i'd love to see some crazy doc skills in the future. now that caveman visited, pay$ better pull of some upthrows to fairs!)

13) Po Pimpus (what can i say? he's pimp. po is good, but still looking for a high level character to settle with. sheik, samus, marth, or someone else, whoever it is i'm sure he'll accel with. hell, if he can take stock off with luigi, lord knows what he'll do as a high-tier character. but ****, marc, teach him some mindgames :p)

14) Shanx (billy is actually starting to get better. he was stuck for a while, while most people were getting better, but now i can see in his gameplay that he's starting to get better, too. i want to see some sick action...and while shanx got a crappy end of the stick at OHSNAP2, he'll get some nice wins at future OK tournies, i know it)

15) Akasuna no Sasori (this kid is pretty **** good. he's gotten much better from the summer, and was owning up on Gt...like he was me or something! :p while malicechaos and dart were other contenders for this spot, malice has not proven himself in a tourny yet, and dart's game is becoming beatable by just about everyone without wavedashing of any kind. that and a lack of mindgames are stunting him, but if he can get that down, he'll be back in top 15, i'm sure. sasori takes the 15 spot, though, for getting in some good wins in doubles and friendlies, and for having good tech skill that most people may not have noticed- if you haven't seen him play, imagine me 2 1/2 months ago)

hard version-

1) KOS-MOS
2) Vegafuse
3) Shade
4) Zinth
5) Hazygoose
6) Scud
7) RastaImposta
8) Gravity
9) Marc
10) Heath
11) Derrick
12) Pay$
13) Po Pimpus
14) Shanx
15) Akasuna no Sasori

Heathq

Smash Apprentice
I would like to rejoin the power rankings team but would it be at all possible for me to sit this round out and join in the voting next time around? I think I need maybe one more smashfest before I could fairly judge everyone. My top 5 is pretty much set in stone but there's a grey area between 6-15 for me.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
heath: sounds good, i was hoping gravity would say that, too, since he wasn't at OHSNAP2. that way we still have our solid team of 5, but the people who weren't there to see some recent stuff go down can see what the other 3 thought :)

so, grav: if you'll sit this one out, it'd be cool, but if you still think your opinion should be heard from what you've experienced before OHSNAP2, that's fine, too. take your pick.

so yeah...i can't wait for monthlies so we can start setting the **** record straight for who gets better and when.

Akasuna no Sasori

Smash Apprentice
Woot! I'm on Reno's list. I feel special, :laugh: I didn't think anyone watched any of my matches O_o

You didn't happen to record any did you?

Its weird, when I got back home after the tournament I tried playing as Fox and now I can somehow waveshine almost perfectly and can do the infinite standing shine pretty good, although it makes my hand get tired really fast though. I also learned Sheik's infinite ledge stall just so I can look flashy, :p To bad I couldn't do that stuff at the tournament. Bleh, there's always next time.

Gravity

Smash Ace
lolol makes sense, disregard my post in ok thread about ranking then...too lazy to edit it

also, i want to fight you alex, last time we fought was long ago, so we need a smsahfest i can actually go to...

and just for record, i havent smashed in like 3 or 4 weeks so yeah.....

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Well I'm working out the details, but we should have them up and running sometime next month. I'll be the one primarily sorting things out and running it, while deferring to Alex and Babac on somethings. I'll let everyone know as soon as I get things set up.

I'll have my list up sometime today, hopefully.

BIG EDIT:

Okay, here is my list, *****es:

1. KOS-MOS: The most obvious position on the list, Chris consistently proves why he is the best in OK. His Peach may get the most attention, but his Marth and his Fox are highly potent as well. His DI is almost godly, and combined with his Peach skills he is probably the worst opponent you could hope to face: One who doesn't die, and can mop the floor with you and kill you at low percents. He also cusses like a long shoreman.

2. Vegafuse: Pablo, Pablo, Pablo... What more can I say about you? You're just too good, man. You're versatility and skill are only rivaled by your mindgames and setups. Never stop smashing, man. OK would be extremely weak without you.

3. Shade: Kuni is THE most technically sound player in OK. All he needs now is the mindgames. Just a couple of little tricksies here and there, and BAM! You're #1 instead of KOS-MOS. Almost there, man.

4. Zinth: Right behind Kuni is his partner, Zinth. Bryan has come a long way and at OHSNAP2 showed that he can control his emotions somewhat better. Not quite Zen level control, but showing improvement. I just have one request: Please stop eliminating me from tournaments, man! **** you, Bryan!

5. Hazygoose: Tournament director extrodinare and a generally cool dude, Alex's Sheik gets better and better. Always stepping up and placing high in tourneys, Alex proves he's got what it takes to hang with the best. Can't wait to see what cool stuff he learned from housing Caveman and Smiles...

6. Marc: The most dangerous smasher not in the Top 5, Marc is starting to prove just how good he really is. He doesn't boast about his skills, he just lets his play do the talking for him. He may not have performed to his best at OHSNAP2, but don't sleep on him. He will smash your face.

7. Gravity: Andy, I wish you could've made it to OHSNAP2, because I know you wouldn't have gone down this far. Unfortunately, everyone else has improved so much that I had to place you here. I hope you can make the upcoming monthlies, because you've got a lot of untapped potential.

8. RastaImposta: WTF? Babac made it into the Top 10? Is this a typo? No, it's not. Babac proved himself greatly at OHSNAP2. That match with Forkgirl was awesome. You keep on improving everytime I see you. Keep going, man.

9. Scud: An amazing Falco, Scud manages to keep up with most of the crowd despite the fact that he hardly plays the game anymore. Keep up the good work Brett. I wanna see you use some of the stuff Caveman taught you in action.

10. Heath: Man, I hate to put you and Derrick here, but I haven't seen you since the STD. So I gotta use that as my judgement. Once monthlies start, maybe you and Derrick can show everyone how good OHKO really is.

11. Derrick: Same as Heath, although it's been even longer since I last saw you. I know you have the potential to own, but we gotta play, man!

12. Pay$: ****, man. You kicked *** in teams with me, dude. The weirdest *** Falco I've ever seen. To quote JesusFreak: "He just does all this random crap, and somehow, it hits."

13. Po Pimpus: Why is this guy even still on the list? He sucks so bad, even Jeff 2-stocked him in a Luigi ditto... Seriously, can I get an award like, 'Best Smasher With a Full-Time Job' or something, because it really sucks to not have the time to put into this game like I want. I will say this, I won't #13 for long, count on it. (Because I'll probably fall lower next time :( )

14. Dart: I know its BlueJay now, but as Kuni's brother, you must suffer as he does. No one will ever recognize you as anything other than Dart for a very long time. Still the most technically amazing kid I've ever seen. Even if all he does is shoot you with stuff.

15. Shanx: Billy, you're getting better man. I wanna see you rise up higher than this, because you're a fun guy to have around. Keep owning Babac with Pichu!

Honorable Mentions: The entire rest of the state gets an honorable mention for coming to OHSNAP2 and representing. Even though you guys may not have performed to your expectations, there is a lot of potential in each and every one of you. I am extremely proud to see Smash get the respect it deserves somewhat, and you guys are part of that. Thank you all for the love and hard work you display.

Get big Oklahoma! GET MARIO BIG!

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
SWeeet, Awesome. I cant wait till the first Monthly, Im gonna kick so much ***, Chris, Pablo, you 2 are up next, Im about to usurp your spot.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
*bump*

well, since chris is out of surgery, he's pretty much out of it for the rest of the month, and much of february. so, po and i compiled the whole list, but, it's pretty similar to what 90% of people think. i love the huge tie for 6th, btw. so, this is the list until after the monthly in march, even if we have one in january/february or not. so, yeah. here's the list for at least 2 months:

1) KOS-MOS
2) Vegafuse
3) Shade
4) Zinth
5) Hazygoose
6) Gravity
Marc
RastaImposta
Scud
10) Heath
11) Derrick
12) Pay$
13) Po Pimpus
14) Shanx
15) Dart

Gravity

Smash Ace
i need to know the monthlies EXACT date at least 2 weeks in advance if you want my presence assured. otherwise its a crapshoot if ill be there

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I'm happy to see Zinth where he is. He's the only Marth in OK that could beat my DK, and that's saying a lot.

Chris, stop playing Peach. -_-

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Hahah, we didnt have a chance to play MY marth! My marth sucks anyway, Im much better with roy.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Haha, how are you gonna be in the OK powerrankings when you arent even in OK?

How come you guys didnt come to OHSNAP2?

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
po, I like all the descriptions there. But I liked hazygoose's rankings just a little bit more.

so, whose *** do i have to kick to get top 10?

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
I'm happy to see Zinth where he is. He's the only Marth in OK that could beat my DK, and that's saying a lot.

Chris, stop playing Peach. -_-
i almost beat your jigg...which is kind of sad seeing as how i never play marth, but i guess marth has the advantage so i dunno. my sheik got torn apart, though, so whatever.

oh yeah, and jsut so everyone here knows, brett picked up fox and i picked up peach. wu-tang.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
You did almost beat my Jiggly, but you didn't play my DK. :) DK is my normal counter for Marths. I just got lucky that Zinth's style played to my Jigglypuff's strengths.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
haha.

DK as a marth counter=awesome

"oh, marth? time to whip out DK!"

man, this game gets complex. i, as a scrub, don't have time to be considering "counter-picks." pffft, you guys are crazy.

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
I don't care about counterpicking. If i can't do it with marth or pichu, it can't be done.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Haha, yeah, those rests off of missed grabs really hurt :teeth: However, I was still able to withstand the DK :cool:

Lists look good lollerz.

EDIT: Gasp, FastLikeTree has a surprising objection! Just thought I'd point that out, as seeing how it was in the last post of the previous page, not many people would probably see it, which would be bad, considering what a surprising objection it is. LOLODLOldlz.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
The whole time I was in OK I was saying I thought Shade was the best as well. He may be repetitive, but that's only because what he does works for the most part. Not to take anything away from anyone else, but Shade is good.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
I mean, you can only get hit with the Fair and Bair so many times when hes zelda....Austin

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
No, he wasn't even there the second day...

Kuni is pretty good though, I agree that after a while you can see what his strategy is, of course, by the time I figure it out, I have one stock left.

With KOS-MOS it's different, he pretty much just owns me, I probly couldn't get him up to 100%, whereas I can get a kill on Kuni.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
pablo owns me the worst, then kuni, then KOS-MOS.

but KOS-MOS seems to fare better against more people, it's not always a personal experience thing. good power ranking panelists are all about observing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom