• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Guys, conversation advice.

I'm working the malt shop at Adams tower now. Little while ago, a really cute girl showed up and caught me reading my Harry Potter book, and said she was reading the same thing back in her dorm. We talked a bit, I asked her which dorm she lived in and what year she was, and she didn't seem to be put off by the questions. After she left, I realized I never got her name, lmao. One of the coworkers told me she comes here every time to get the same ice cream, so if she comes by tomorrow while I'm working, how should I get a conversation going? I think i really wanna get to know her better.

Brawl related, Curtis is taking Dallas. Just saying.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Talk about what you know you have in common, which in your case is Harry Potter.

I haven't heard anything from Forest today :_ My girlfriend is back home this weekend and I need things to do. I think I'll finally get Minecraft now.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
How quickly they grow... Bryan has now gone from needing relationship advice to giving it out to those who need it... I'm proud of you, my son *wipes tear from eye*

So yeah, Smash thingy, MLG, good luck Bassem, Tom, Curtis, blah blah, Shoryuken, GET BIG... MARIO BIG!!/catchphrase...

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
domo and bassem puttin' in work
wewt
kansas brawlers were mad cool when they came down and domo's mk is awesome to watch so i gotta root for them along with texoma players :D

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
a lot of people are doing relatively well. curtis and sethlon was sent to losers, but they can come back. Me, bassem, billy, zac, and damien are in winners. Here's how the bracket looks tomorrow first thing tomorrow

Me vs mikehaze (actually what i wanted, or ESAM).
Bassem vs Shaky
Billy vs Error 13
Zac vs cheese
Damien vs jerm.
Curtis vs Necro
Sethlon vs ??

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
well ****, ok/tx just got decimated round 4...keep going strong, dudes. wreck through the loser's bracket!

edit: oklahoma's out :(
bassem lost to trela and tom to zac
sonics keep winning by timing people out. lol@mlgruleset/environment

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
bassem and inui i think got 4th. and dehf/gnes got 3rd

also...
In addition to the $12,500 National Championship prize, Anakin will also receive a 2-player, sit down Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion arcade cabinet and an all-expense paid five-day, four-night trip to Japan to visit Namco Game Studio.

the sony sponsored prize for the tekken 6 winner is awesome as hell. i wish nintendo would just accept competitive gaming and understand that it won't hurt their main casual market because no one even knows about it. *sigh* think of an amazing smash prize where someone gets to go to nintendo headquarters for a week. maybe one day.

edit: like i said, sonics keep timing people out. x beats nick riddle and espy beats rich brown. time outs all around. and in winner's quarters x is beating lee and espy is beating tyrant. if they win, there will be 2 sonics guaranteed 5th and in the money. LOL!

edit2: they both won..."If the sonics go 2 and out from here, at a minimum they will win (combined) $4,250. 0.o " - AZ
wow. this is one of the few times i'm gonna legit be the melee player who dogs on brawl but...when was the last time you heard of pichus busting into a national tournament and beating every top tier by timeout? it isn't such a huge hit on brawl as much as because of the way the game functions, i really think the stall rules should be looked at again. i remember when people said planking doesn't matter much ('cept for rob) because mk can just air stall 80% of the cast. and it's **** like that and sonics wrecking brackets while "winning" very few matches that needs to be addressed.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
No, trust me they're winning. I watched all of their matches yesterday, and they're winning. It's the other players who are trying to stall them out.
As far as we know, that's currently the best strategy against Sonic.
Sorry our game has a functional shield and ledges.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
i agree with alex in the aspect that they should look at all the rules. but in all fairness the sonics were orginally supposed to be timed out.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
The two games were made and marketed to two totally different audiences. One was trying to compete with XBox and PS2, the other was the harbinger of the casual market appeal. Let's just agree to leave each other's games alone. Brawl's metagame is much too young to deserve comparison to Melee.
Melee is faster and more fun to watch, and gets sets done in about ten minutes.
Brawl has a slower, more defensive strategy to it that will invariably require a timer on matches.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Matches would just become ridiculously long were that to happen.

I really doubt getting rid of the timer would change any game-play by doing that as well. People that stall usually do it to frustrate their opponent, not necessarily to win the match. These players tend to have an inexhaustible amount of patience.

If I could make the rules I'd set it to a six minute time limit and two lives.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
That would make stalling even easier cause you need less time to time out people. I guarantee you players who run would most definitely win if they only needed to run in six minutes. :/ That's why the Japanese players played with like a 15 minute time limit or something in melee.

Brawl's metagame as it is now is already drawing matches to ridiculous lengths of time per match. No timer would only discourage such play because it wouldn't be regarded *cough* "smart play" to run away anymore. Just ********.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
hey kevin, me; bassem; and curtis want to do go karts sometime. When are you free?

Shade_

Smash Ace
Lol, I'll never be free until I'm asked to be. Next weekend I should be good. This weekend is gona be littered with quizes so that's not gona work too well. How much is it?

Also, do I sense a go-kart money match?

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
go-kart mm is going to happen. its somewhat expensive since we didnt get in on the halloween deal. but ill spot you.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I'll scrounge up what money I got, and instead of a literal money match lets make it a meal match.

Also, you play the violin right? I think you might be able to help me out real quick. There is an awesome song that no one knows the name of, and it's like one minute long, but I'm gona remix it. The problem is there are like three violin chords I am completely clueless on as to what they are.

Check it out at like fifteen seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlmMDbXxLw4

I'm fruity-loopsing it. I got the first part with the piano, but I've never played the violin so it's hard for me to tell what notes are what.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
lolmelee
/10char
thank jeebus your passive-aggressiveness manifests to active aggressiveness for once. way less silly.

i agree with alex in the aspect that they should look at all the rules. but in all fairness the sonics were orginally supposed to be timed out.
yeah, that part i did not know. or that sonics were winning more matches than i thought by kills. still, the tournament results were wack, and the only thing i was thinking while this was all going down was "...rule revision? possibly?" btw, tom, did you get 17th in the open bracket? i assume you were the falco they kept calling element. if so good shiz.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
i did get 17th in open bracket. i should have went further though. and thanks.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
True link is true. I like the caps for emphasis on the truth part of it.
Younger people tend to like brawl, not many young melee players around, they simply didn't grow up with it, they spent their adolescent and teen gaming years with Brawl, so their attachment to it is understandable, just like Ocarina of Time with an entire generation. You thrust these products on adolescents, and you get lifelong followers.

Regardless Brawl is slow and lacks alot of movement options thats my main problem since directional air dodge and lag cancel is such a big part of my game.

All current fighters are being slowed down for online play. (well melty blood isn't...so I see the appeal) so its not like brawl is outside of current trends, its just outside of a highly regarded standard which may be more rare these days.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai himself stated that Melee was too hardcore, and they needed to shallow the learning curve so people didn't get stomped so easily by clearly more skilled players. Either way, the problem is that everyone expected melee 2.0, and were given something totally different, some adapted, but most stuck with melee, as such most brawl players are of a younger generation. My opinion is that it is inferior, but I can't make an irrefutable argument about the inferiority of the game so I don't.

I've tried to get into the game a number of times, I'm just not feeling it. Same with Street Fighter IV, its not 3rd Strike 2.0... The only new iteration of older franchises I've come to like is BlazBlue (to guilty gear) and probably because I was just never very good at guilty gear.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I think it's that, but it's also the fact that a lot of casual players switched over to brawl when it came out, and casual players are the largest pool for new competitive players. I was one of them. And then of course like Forest said the rest of the casual gamers are starting with Brawl.
Melee is the game for people who play fighting games, since it is the closest to a conventional fighting game that Smash will ever come. I watched Tekken 6 at MLG, and I can see why people really like fighting games and Melee--they're really cool to watch, and the action happens fast. For people who are into fighting games, Melee is the smash game of preference.
Brawl is the smash game that players of other games like, because of its low learning curve and dissimilarity with all other fighting games. You don't have to know how fighting games work to play Brawl.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I'd say you don't have to know how fighting games work to play melee, though. I mean I was never good at fighting games UNTIL I played melee. Melee was my fighting game initiator. Since then I've branched out.

Alex believes that Melee players move to other fighting games more easily than other fighting game players move to melee. The emphasis on spacing, speed, and combos is so great that picking up other 2D fighters seems kind breezy.

Anyway, its cool that more casual players are playing a game competitively, I would hope that many of them would use Brawl as the same sort of initiator to other games that Melee has been for me.

Either way, Melee still seems to be alive and well alongside brawl. St. Louis was pretty big, bigger than I expected at least. I think there is plenty of room for both, its just hard to transition between them. I don't think Nintendo will be making a new Smash for a while (or perhaps ever) so we should work with what we have, and try to spend a little time with each others games when the different smashers get together.

I had fun teaming with you Chozo in the union, I am just very hesitant to play Brawl anywhere near an upcoming Melee tournament or maybe a smashfest where I wan't to perform well because all that invincibility and auto ledge grabbing throws my game off.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Oh my Jeebus... MELEE! BRAWL! MELEE! BRAWL! Who the **** even cares anymore?
At this point its just silly to continue the argument... Alex, we just have to face facts that this generation is different. The people that enjoy Brawl and these new-age, slower, casual-friendly games did not grow up with games like we did.
These teens and young adults probably started on N64 and PS1. These are the kids whose moms bought them Tomb Raider, MGS, FF7, Mario Kart 64 and Ocarina of Time. They are of the 'flash and not much substance' generation. They have been raised on the Michael Bay-style era games, that are all about flashy explosions and 'epic' cutscenes.
If you asked one of these guys to play a round of Third Strike, they would probably quit after 30 minutes because it requires them to actually think about their moves and be able to pull off such complex motions as down/down-forward+punch to throw a projectile. God help them should they actually want to do a 'combo'... Their eyes would roll back in their head at the precise timing required.

I have literally 'grown up' with gaming... I was three years old when Super Mario Bros. was first released. I learned to walk, I learned to read, I learned to write, and I learned to press A to jump over that first Goomba on World 1-1.
As I grew, so did my love for gaming and my skill at playing them. I went from never being able to leap that first pit, to being able to put the Koopa King in his place in second, more difficult quest.
Gaming and I have matured and grown together... I was there when Link defeated Ganon THE VERY FIRST TIME, and have seen him do it again dozens of times since. I was there when Kirby was still a white marshmallow, being played on a puke green portable screen. I was there when Snake first snuck his way into super-stardom. I caught all 151 original Pokemon. I was there when the 'Dream Team' gave us Crono, Marle, Frog, Robo, and all the rest. Hell, I remember when SONIC WAS STILL A GOOD SERIES...

I'm ****ing ancient, I know, and I also recognize that this is no longer my era... I can't relate to this generation... I cut my gaming teeth trying to figure out which Robot Master weapon worked best on Air Man(before I realized Metal Blade beats all :) These kids are too busy screaming expletives over XBox Live Halo deathmatches to even know who Mega Man is. That's sad, to me, but hey, they don't make games for guys like me all that often these days. Sure, I'll get thrown a bone with a Bayonetta, or a retro throwback like Scott Pilgrim or Mega Man 10, but they are few and far between. Even competitive gaming has lost some of its edge... Instead of the brash, almost-insulting, New York-style trash-talk, now we have to worry about hurting each others' feelings and shake hands after the match... **** that noise.

I'm going to scream, I'm going to yell 'SHORYUKEN' and 'MISFIRE' and roll-cancel down the aisle, because everyone in the room should know that I just lit your *** on fire, and both you and I will enjoy every single minute of it. And if I don't like you, I'll let you know, not only by beating your *** in tournament, but by berating your lame-*** style of play. However, if I did that at a Brawl tournament, I'd probably get disqualified, because it disrupts my opponent... lame. I probably wouldn't win anyway, because I'd be chasing your sorry *** for 8 minutes, get bored and just lose because it's 1am, and I'm ****ing tired because this **** tournament has been running for 14 hours and we still haven't gotten to Grand Finals...

I don't even remember my point now, but basically: Play what you want, don't worry about people that don't/won't/can't play your game of choice, and most importantly-- SHUT UP AND PLAY THE **** GAME!

Top Bottom