• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

olimar matchup stage counterpicks: anything you want to fill in not already filled on

Excellence

Smash Champion
I think the dark marine avatar fits you more, it screams "Excellence"
Lol, my blunt agression has been noticed? I only switched because I've decided to switch over to using Wario. Olimar has lost his shine to me and I feel as though I have completely mastered him as a character (based on all current knowledge of the game and his ATs, as well as my uses with him), the only way I feel as though I can improve is if I improve my mentality which is currently postoptomistic, realistic, hatefilled, and nasteh!

Just wait until I can find a decent sig!

asob4

Smash Champion
i said end discussion because it was clogging up this thread from any real discussion about other stages

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, my blunt agression has been noticed? I only switched because I've decided to switch over to using Wario. Olimar has lost his shine to me and I feel as though I have completely mastered him as a character (based on all current knowledge of the game and his ATs, as well as my uses with him), the only way I feel as though I can improve is if I improve my mentality which is currently postoptomistic, realistic, hatefilled, and nasteh!

Just wait until I can find a decent sig!
I had that feeling a while back- not cuz Olimar got boring though. :p I just felt like there wasn't much else for me to master or learn or anything, just like you feel. I began using every other character in the game so I could learn about their different styles. I still do. I'm on samus right now. And I have to say, I'm thinking she's rather underestimated compared to the other characters in low tier.

Anyways, I'd go to the character's forums for about 3 days and see what kind of things they talk about. I'd try to copy their playstyles, and soon enough, I'd be one of them. (I learn quickly) I learned soooooo freakin much about the other characters that now I feel twice as good with Olimar as I used to be! Learning matchups is half a character's game, and when you can use the character you're fighting against, you have a much deeper understanding of how to play against him than you would reading my matchup thread or any other guide. It's a very enlightening experience.

From a guide, you'll find that Samus' zair has a sweetspot on it's tip that does 3% more damage, or that all of her aerials have no landing lag, even her spike. (which is ridiculous)

From playing the character with first hand experience, you'll find that she's VERY similar to Olimar as far as playstyle is concerned, and that SHdairs help tremendously. Because of this, I've begun exploring the possibilities of SHdair as Olimar. It's just as effective, if not more!

Edit: stage discussion, right.

Don't take diddy to Rainbow cruise or fd. For fd, you need platforms to escape the banana **** imo.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I had that feeling a while back- not cuz Olimar got boring though. :p I just felt like there wasn't much else for me to master or learn or anything, just like you feel. I began using every other character in the game so I could learn about their different styles. I still do. I'm on samus right now. And I have to say, I'm thinking she's rather underestimated compared to the other characters in low tier.

Anyways, I'd go to the character's forums for about 3 days and see what kind of things they talk about. I'd try to copy their playstyles, and soon enough, I'd be one of them. (I learn quickly) I learned soooooo freakin much about the other characters that now I feel twice as good with Olimar as I used to be! Learning matchups is half a character's game, and when you can use the character you're fighting against, you have a much deeper understanding of how to play against him than you would reading my matchup thread or any other guide. It's a very enlightening experience.

From a guide, you'll find that Samus' zair has a sweetspot on it's tip that does 3% more damage, or that all of her aerials have no landing lag, even her spike. (which is ridiculous)

From playing the character with first hand experience, you'll find that she's VERY similar to Olimar as far as playstyle is concerned, and that SHdairs help tremendously. Because of this, I've begun exploring the possibilities of SHdair as Olimar. It's just as effective, if not more!

Edit: stage discussion, right.

Don't take diddy to Rainbow cruise or fd. For fd, you need platforms to escape the banana **** imo.
I actually learned Samus a while back and have probably been using DAir approaches with Olimar to prop people up in the air while not making myself too vunerable for a long time now. She's really fun to play and after a while you're going to want to master the transformation into Zero Suit Samus, then you'll want to master her, and you'll learn the importance of a well timed grab. As you and I both know, Zero Suit cannot be allowed to miss a grab because if you do you'll probably get hit with a charged Smash attack.

As for Diddy, I'm not sure if anyone else does this but I've learned to grab Banana's. Power Shielding them or SH Airdodge forward trying to grab them isn't too bad on Final D. You can use the Bananas for your own purposes and coupled with Olimar's grab, hes going to win.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ive been using samus since melee and still do, i can train you and give you pointers if want, also, jungle japes+falco=bad?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
ive been using samus since melee and still do, i can train you and give you pointers if want, also, jungle japes+falco=bad?
sure...once I post some samus vids. lol

jungle japes is bad against falco??? why?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
falco has uber outcamp there, cant come undar him on the edge of stage platforms, reflector piken, can completely block you advances to him there with laser, side b, fast smashes and aaa combo, trust me, bad stage

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
THERE ISN'T ENOUGH CORNERIA IN THIS THREAD.

Honestly, guys. I can't be alone on this one...

Against pretty much everyone except Snake and G&W, Corneria is freaking awesome. Really! I'm not crazy! Olimar can play around with opponents by the engines like they're toys, and the low ceiling is perfect for Olimar's Usmash!

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
well, i want people to be more specific than just everyone for a map because its not necassarilly a good choice against everyone like luigi mansion or bf

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Also, Luigi's Mansion is a good stage for quite a few people. MK ***** with tornado, Rob can laser spam through the pillars, Wario's short hop arial game is there in full force, G&W's turtle just gets more opportunities, ICs can spam desynced SH blizzard at you, etc. It's a great stage, but it shouldn't be idolized. Besides, the mansion limits what is, IMO, one of the best parts of Olimar's game: juggling.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
First two you shouldn't lose to. Just don't counter something dumb like Frigate and you're cool.

Diddy? Norfair.

Zori

Smash Champion
for diddy take to weegee's, when he is banana spamming jump on one of the many platforms this wonderful stage has to offer and then when he is done shield grab and upsmash x 9000 gg

Snail

Smash Lord
Diddy... I think Norfair is a worse stage for him because of the complete lack of banana ownage there.

Bowser and Captain Falcon you shouldn't lose to in the first place, but... The mansion works pretty well for Falcon. I've never fought a decent Bowser so I wouldn't know about him.

asob4

Smash Champion
for fox, any stage with platforms is good
i think lylat would be best as the tilt of the stage can REALLY mess with their recovery

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
worst stage for Olimar against G&W (besides rainbow cruise) is norfair. just wanted people to know never to choose Norfair against G&W!

Snail

Smash Lord
come on people...btw...ganon on luigi mansion and norfair=good?
Ganon shouldn't pose a problem in the first place... The matchup is like 75/25 in Olimar's favour >_>; Mansion works. Norfair probably does too. Corneria as well I guess.

Same with Ike, it's like 70/30. You shouldn't really need a CP stage for that... the Mansion works against Ike though.

Ice Climbers are a bit harder. I guess Norfair would be best because the weird platform layout prevents most chaingrabs, but they have an easy time recovering there as well as dthrow-fair spikes.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
Ganon = any stage

Ike = any stage

Ice Climbers = Any stage with short platforms, like Norfair or Jungle Japes, Yoshi's Island works as well

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
for fox, any stage with platforms is good
i think lylat would be best as the tilt of the stage can REALLY mess with their recovery
Not only that, but the platforms serve as GREAT cover from dair spam- even moreso than BF or YI.

ganon- doesn't matter what stage you take him to. He should lose on all of them. I would think BF would be hard for him to get back down to the ground against Oli.

IC- I've only played a couple IC. BF works pretty well from my experience. Norfair should be the best though for two reasons: fire can separate them and it's made of platforms, which hinders their chaingrabbing.

Ike- I've got no clue. Only played two. I creamed them both. They both were on BF and FD. I suppose LM would work well because they need to full jump their approaches. Without an air game, they're limited to their rather lousy ground game.

my thoughts^.

asob4

Smash Champion
i would think a small stage with no where to run is bad vs IC's..............................

i don't know any stages..............

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's Island is a Terrible Stage to play on vs IC , pick sopmewhere like bf it is alot harder for them here from my experince

Snail

Smash Lord
i would think a small stage with no where to run is bad vs IC's..............................

i don't know any stages..............
IC need some space for their grab combos, though. On Norfair you won't get chaingrabbed to death. The IC's air game sucks pretty bad too, so I think Norfair is the best choice.

asob4

Smash Champion
they actually have a decent air game, with some long lasting hiboxes, good reach, and some low lag attacks

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't take them to FD. It's horrible. Trust me.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
The reason Yoshi island is ok against IC is because of the platform on top. Basically the only reason. And the only way I have found to beat IC is to spam fsmash and grab and throw extremely fast. Once grabbed, IC's win unless chaingrabs are limited, which they are in most tournaments.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Jiggs- corneria is easily the best stage against Jiggs imo. Reason =Uber low percent kills. A common myth is that Jiggs will kill more easily with rest, but it doesn't work that way. Dair>rest only works at moderately high percents, where you'd die from rest on any other stage. So it doesn't make a difference.

DDD- I've found BF to be pretty good. LM works as well. Both for the common reasons.

Kirbs- I've got a lot of matchup experience here. Luigi's mansion works well. Any place with a low top and close side boundaries works as well. Corneria is great too, though the tourneys I go to don't allow it. >_<

asob4

Smash Champion
it really sucks that out here in palmdale (where we have biweeklies that i go to) both weegee's and corneria are doubles only stages
we got norfair though :D

Top Bottom