• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

olimar matchup stage counterpicks: anything you want to fill in not already filled on

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
yeah, and considering its longer allows better defense play and camping, screws over alot of bad matchups like wolf or falco with moving ledge, the ceiling and edges are about the same and olimar's pikmin aren't affected as much as other projectiles, overall better it seems

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I actually saw m2k say in his "tips vs mk" thread that lylat is mk's best neutral. Sorry to double post, but this thread is getting kind of low, so w/e.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
yeah, but recently ive been playing mks on both bf and lylat and lylat is working ALOT better against mk, it may be mk's best neutral but i think its olimar's also

do you by any chance have any other stage cps to contribute?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Well, I started playing ness a bit, and I was playing against my friends d3 on luigi's. I realized that ness can stand on those two little platforms on the bottom floor, and pk fire hits alot easier. It can also hit the pillars on the side of luigi's, which makes the fire pillar appear. Ness can u-tilt juggle pretty well here too. Basically, I'm not sure luigi's is as useful as usual here.

EDIT: I also think that yoshi's (pipes) is a really great olimar level too. I realize that it is often banned, but when it's not, it's amazing I think. It has many characteristics that hugely benefit oli. Some help others too, but I think oli does especially.

1. The middle part that can result in sd's doesn't harm oli too much, because he can tether from almost anywhere down there, and still grab the edge.
2. Both side have slopes. Camping is amazing on these slopes. Oli's pikmin toss while standing on a slope is so hot. It angles perfectly. It's amazing. Oli's grab is also amazing on the slopes.
3. The only section where gimping can occur is on the left side, which can be avoided.
4. The left side isn't even bad for oli. Because it is so close to the blast line, b-throw, d-smash, etc. kill so excellently here. Another thing is that:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/stages/images/stage21/stage21_080107a-l.jpg
If you look all the way on the left, you'll see that it is flat, then rises on the left, then declines on the right. Oli can be standing on the flat part or the rising part on the left, and grab people on the declining part on the right. It is amazing.
5. The right side of the stage, again, can be camped amazingly, and oli can get easy b-throw kills since it's a walkoff.

All in all, yoshi's pipes are ridiculously amazing.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
would you say its a bad stage then against ness? also, im qouting you yi segment, and making this into a stage discussion thread also where i qoute anything useful

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I'm not completely positive that it would be bad against ness, but from experience, I know it's a good ness level. I can't say for sure who it benefits more, but it should be experimented with I think.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
bump because discussion has stopped, and I don't have anything more to add at the moment, but my previous posts haven't really been addressed.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I CARE. Like really. So lemme ask something to spark some discussion. Would any of you agree on this?:

:olimar: Olimar
Best: Luigi's Mansion, Corneria, Norfair
Worst: Rainbow Cruise, Skyworld
It's for this thread, discussing each character's 3 general best and worst stages.

If no, suggestions?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Well, rainbow cruise is debatable (by me), but the general consensus is it is horrible, so I guess. Isn't jungle japes bad for oli also? And can we get some discussion on yoshi's pipes? Because I think it's wtf good, and it is a legal counterpick on the sbr list, although it may be banned other times.
Also, wouldn't he **** on green hill zone too? Easy kills because it's walk off, no gimping, and grab/ pikmin toss camping are hot on slopes. Agreed?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
rofl its dabuz. teach me lolimar man ive been facing some good ones. anyway mk> olimar on lylat if the stage ledge start moving

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Rofl this thread keeps dieing. I'm gunna make a thread where we talk about each stage individually (strats and stuff), as apposed to counterpicks, but let's try to update this list as we talk about the stages, since the list isn't done and there was still stuff on the table to be talked about.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
uh olimar wrecks lucas on yi and fd, thoughts, and im thinking fd for lucario, because bf seems to give him lots of help i think, thoughts?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I would think that FD would be better against lucario than bf for the neutral pick, but they're are probably better options. (assuming they aren't banned) Yoshi's pipes, and luigi's come to mind as good counterpicks.

EDIT: Maybe you should make the format something like:

Character
Best neutral
Best counterpick
2nd best counterpick
Worst
2nd worst

Don't have to, but we can get more info in that way.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
FD for d3? On bf, his ftilt takes up alot of space on the ground and it may be difficult to get to him due to that and waddle somethings walking around. FD just gives you more room to deal with him. Although, d3's size may make bf better since you can combo him well there. Thoughts?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
^ In full oli terms-
oli is probably oli
since the oli to oli him is to oli your oli off!

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
;format:
character
best neutral
best cp stage
second best/third best/ect. cp
worst(is always rainbow cruise)
second worst

Bowser

n/a
luigi mansion
n/a
rainbow cruise
n/a
Captain Falcon
n/a
luigi mansion
n/a
rainbow cruise
m/a
Diddy Kong
bf
norfair
luigi's mansion
rainbow cruise
n/a
Donkey Kong
n/a
luigi mansion
n/a
rainbow cruise
n/a
Falco

n/a
luigi mansion
norfair
rainbow cruise
jungle japes
Fox
n/a
luigi mansion
lylat cruise/ battlefield
rainbow cruise
n/a
game and watch
yoshis island
n/a
n/a
rainbow cruise
norfair

Ganondorf

bf
luigi mansion
norfair/basically any stage good for olimar
rainbow cruise
n/a
Ice Climbers
bf
norfair
n/a
rainbow cruise
yoshis island/fd/sv/any stage with long flat ground
Ike
bf
luigi mansion
n/a
rainbow cruise
n/a
Jigglypuff
n/a
corneria
luigi mansion
frigate orpheon
rainbow cruise
King Dedede
fd (or bf, pending)
n/a
luigi mansion
rainbow cruise
frigate orphean/ jungle japes
Kirby
n/a
luigi mansion
corneria
rainbow cruise
n/a
Link
bf
n/a
luigi mansion
rainbow cruise
n/a
Lucario
n/a
n/a
n/a
rainbow cruise
n/a
Lucas
n/a
n/a
n/a
rainbow cruise
n/a
Luigi
fd
bf
n/a
rainbow cruise
n/a
Mario

n/aluigi mansion
pokemon stadium/ lylat
rainbow cruise
n/a
Marth
bf
luigis mansion
lylat
rainbow cruise
n/a
Meta Knight
lylat cruise(if its a neutral) otherwise bf
poke stadium 1
lylat cruise/corneria
rainbow cruise
luigi's mansion(wtf?! you serious!, but that our best stage!)
Ness
bf
n/a
n/a
n/a
rainbow cruise

**Olimar** d--(^.^)z

mirrors: they don't count with olimar
Peach
yoshi island
n/a
n/a
rainbow cruise
n/a

Pikachu

lylat cruise(unless its considred non neutral) otherwise bf
lylat cruise
corneria
rainbow cruise
delphlino plaza
pit
n/a
luigi mansion
n/a
n/a
rainbow cruise

Pokemon Trainer

fd
luigi mansion
fd/sv
rainbow cruise
n/a
R.O.B
bf
bf
lylat cruise
rainbow cruise
frigate
Samus
n/a
luigi mansion
any other good oli stage
rainbow cruise
n/a

Sheik

fd
fd
n/a
rainbow cruise
n/a
Snake
bf/fd(your preference)
luigi mansion
bf/fd(your preference)
rainbow cruise
n/a

Sonic

n/a
norfair
n/a
rainbow cruise
n/a
Toon Link
bf
luigi mansion
bf
rainbow cruise
n/a
Wario
fd(pending)
luigi mansion
fd(pending)
rainbow cruise
n/a
Wolf
lylat cruise(if its a neutral) other wise n/a
luigi mansion
lylat cruise/pokestadium 1
rainbow cruise
jungle japes

Yoshi

lylat cruise(if its neutral) otherwise n/a
lylat cruise
n/a
rainbow cruise
n/a

Zelda

fd
luigi mansion
fd
rainbow cruise
n/a
Zelda/Shiek
bf(zelda) fd(sheik)
luigi mansion
bf/lylat cruise(zelda)
fd/lylat cruise(sheik)
rainbow cruise
n/a
Zero Suit Samus
fd
corneria
fd
rainbow cruise
n/a

stuff like this gives me an idea, the pending list where im not usre or someone brought up a certain point about a level makes me unsure will go

guess ill start it now:

The Pending list
1: wario on fd?
2: wario on bf?
heres current updated list, thought/ bowser, captfalcon, lucas time! also, yoshi island and fd good against lucas?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I think norfair would be good for lucas, since it can screw up his up-b tricks. Also, his horizontal pk fire is much less useful on this stage I believe. RC might be good too, for similar reasons.
As for a neutral, I think FD would be the best choice, but I can't say for certain.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ill agree with fd and norfair, but rc lets him takes control of his great aerial game though, also, yi is really good against lucas to, trust me, ive two stocked good lucases there because olimar wrecks all approaches which he can force against lucas on there

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I never get to counterpick against ness, lucas, or lucario.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This one Ness player brought me to the Olimansion. He used pkfire on the pillars to help undiminish his other attacks. I still 2 stocked him though. lol.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
battlefield messes with lucario's recovery because he can't wall cling as well as he can to fd or yi. it's pretty much impossible to edgehog a good lucario at fd.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Frigate Orpheon is still very olimar unfriendly when compared to most other stages.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I understand if that's a personal preference, but it is not better than FD. Sure, you have a platform, but it isn't even as good as on bf.

Top Bottom