• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ontario Pwn Classic Results thread + shoutouts

HrcPoke

Smash Apprentice
Poke and I have really tried. The best way would be for someone to host a tourney in Brampton LOL
Sean is Stubborn. Like REALLY.

He told me he was going.
Day before the OPC he changes his mind :|

And Brampton is 2 hours away.
And the Busses there to T.O Stop Running at 8pm. So everyone would need housing.

Dimmy

Smash Journeyman
no techiyo I'm dimmy lol. Ggs was really close matches and yah even though you got lucky, if I had kept my cool and kept playing solid after those messups I probably coulda pulled it back so yah ggs you outplayed me my own fault for putting myself in those situations. On the rare chance that I ever get a weekend off or head to MTL i'd liek to MM you.

Mprime

Smash Ace
I have only one special shout out for this tourney
Supreme Dirt - Damn those were some truly "DIRT"y reads on me after you down grabbed me. I swear you grabbed me 6 times from the first grab just by chasing me after i rolled or got up. It wasn't like i was doing the same thing over and over. I mix that **** up. That and thank you for the burger, you put up a good fight dude!

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
no techiyo I'm dimmy lol. Ggs was really close matches and yah even though you got lucky, if I had kept my cool and kept playing solid after those messups I probably coulda pulled it back so yah ggs you outplayed me my own fault for putting myself in those situations. On the rare chance that I ever get a weekend off or head to MTL i'd liek to MM you.
Oh lol.... then who was it o_O

Hype

Smash Lord
1. Holy (MTL) - :metaknight: ($240) : Good job winning both events. I was thinking about some of the things I did wrong, im gonna stop being a noob k.
2. Hype - :metaknight:/:marth: ($120)
3. Tin Man - :olimar: ($40): You are the most obnoxious person when you win, it’s like Doc x5. Good job beating me in winners bracket though, I got no johns, I just adapted for our 2nd set. I dunno why you were so happy Holy 3-0’d me though, he’s clearly way better at the ditto than vs. olimar. You definitely improved but I’m still better. [collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=][collapse=]Thanks for the additional $80 for 2nd place ;o[/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse]
4. KingAce :metaknight: ($10) *Old school high 5* Thanks for winning me $5 on that side bet :) . You’re such a beast at doubles even though you haven’t played in forever, I really like teaming with you.
5. Pharoah :snake: ($5) Good job placing so well. Our matches were close, the break made you lose a bunch of your bad habits, I wanna see you vs phil. Good job beating Fool too.
5. Ambrose :popo: ($5) You lost your first set then made it all the way back through the losers’ bracket, I knew you would. Good job getting top 5. You matches with Phil were hype. Gimp, 0-death cg, gimp 0-death cg.
7. Fool - :falco:
7. Guard (MTL) - :fox: Your fox is so beast, fun friendlies. Stop SDing in mms though :) Nice talking to you this tourney.
9. Mr. L - :luigi2: we didn’t play...next time.
9. jMo - :metaknight: I watched ur match vs Fool. we gotta play next time.
9. Inle - :marth: I can’t believe you beat Fool and Ambrose with a wiimote wtf!? Good games.
9. HrcPoke - :falco:/:ike:/:marth: we should play next time.
13. Gichan - :wario: (*forfeit in winners vs Mr. L) Great event bro, I had a lot of fun. I wish there was a brawl recording though, Adnan’s commentary on me vs tin round 2 was too good. Nice seeing you again.
13. Techiyo (MTL) - :marth: It sucks that we had to play so early, I didn’t like it either. You pretty much had game 2 but I went clutch. Fun friendlies and good job getting 3rd in doubles.
13. Cyan - :gw: Good job vs mikey I should have warned him, you were WAY better than I expected seeing as how you haven’t played the game in like 2.5 years.
13. Rhyme - :kirby2: we should play next time.
17. MPrime - :snake:/:falco: fun talking to you, keep practicing that snake.
17. cMeDu - :falco: fun friendlies, nice talking to you too.
17. Vis~K (MTL) - :marth: we should play next time
17. Remorse (MTL) - :toonlink: we should play next time
17. Mikey - :falco:/:dedede: way to scrub out
17. JL - :metaknight: nice talking to you.
17. Logan - :metaknight: LOGAN!!!
17. Ham - :peach: HAM!!!
25. ceX - :pikachu: nice talking to you.
33. Supreme Dirt - :gw: it sucks that replay is lost :(
33. MK26 - :kirby2: I saw your matches against good Ambrose, good job getting so close to knocking him out. It sounded like people enjoyed P:M. We are such noobs for not knowing how to erase names lol.
33. SkylerSilver - :kirby2: long time no see. We should play friendlies next time.

7. Anth0ny: long time no see.

Adnan: Your commentary and me vs Tin was so epic I really wish it got recorded. Also You and Mikey trash talking each other was so funny. I had a great time talking to you this tourney.

Carter: nice seeing you again.

Pound 5 people: see you next tourney

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Pharoah: lol my gay *** olimar. Ppl know the matchup, or should know the matchup by now, games 3 years old =/. Pure skill for my position. Yeah yall made fun of me and I showed yall. I don’t have to worry about dem memes anymore :D. Also bro, thanks for having my back FROM DA BEGINNING! I even played u before I went to tourneys, when ur 7th on AiB ladder :o. Ever since I started and saw u at my 2nd tourney, u always supported me bro. It’s great to have u on my side. If only I knew more about GTA back then geography wise, we were always York region mofos. If you stayed here, York region would be da bess region. Me, you, Joe, JMo, ya no contest bro. We even Got cMeDu on his way and MK26 who we just found! Hav fun in school bro, I think the MK training on wifi from Joe helped u face MK, beat hype next time, MK is not hard :p.

yeah hype told me about this post yesterday HAD to say something.

dude half of us dont even know what olimars moves are........

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna lie I had no idea what olimar was until I played you in friendlies tin xD

Gichan

Smash Champion
Tin's a douche for when he wins? Or is it when he walks around. Cause if his wins are douchey, man....I'm a **** when i win then lololol.

Shelter From The Storm

Banned via Administration
you missed the point by a mile

but im still not over how epic that beard is, my gosh

also yeah gi its friggin hilarious
Mikey, you ****. The comment wasn't necessarily directed at you personally in terms of skill level.

But, its not the winning player's fault that they studied said matchup, and the opposing player wasn't particularly experienced or familiar with how it should have been fought.

There are disadvantages, advantages, and certain elements to a matchup. Just learn, and improve from there with your new-found knowledge.

No johns. Plus, I'm ripped right now and all this is making me laugh.

I played Yoshi, a very disadvantaged character. Nobody was going to just let me win, though.

That's all.

TL;DR Get better, and reap the reward. And yeah, my beard *****.

fUddO

Smash Ace
Olimar is one character where you DEFINITELY need to know the matchup. Same with ICs, Sonic, and lots of random mid tiers who become horrible once you figure out their gimmick.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
To be fair, some of those random mid-tiers can still put up a damn good fight once their gimmick is figured out, like Pit, Fox, or Ness.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Mikey, you ****. The comment wasn't necessarily directed at you personally in terms of skill level.

But, its not the winning player's fault that they studied said matchup, and the opposing player wasn't particularly experienced or familiar with how it should have been fought.

There are disadvantages, advantages, and certain elements to a matchup. Just learn, and improve from there with your new-found knowledge.

No johns. Plus, I'm ripped right now and all this is making me laugh.

I played Yoshi, a very disadvantaged character. Nobody was going to just let me win, though.

That's all.

TL;DR Get better, and reap the reward. And yeah, my beard *****.
yeah i know, i didnt take no offense or nothing. i knew it wasnt like malicious or nothing lol

but like what im saying u cant directly compare skill to skill when the olimar plays and knows knows every in and out of a matchup vs mk, when the mk barely knows olimars moves u know. yes he knows more but if u beat someone without knowing hte matchup AND their character is cheap and broken (olimar is) like thats pretty skillful. and if no one even knows that dudes moves how is that skill its just people not knowing wtf to do. not saying that tin isnt skilled he is, but its not PURE skill

swordgard

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter. The important thing is, in this game you don't need to beat a few specific players, you need to lose the least amount possible. If tinman truly only goes close to even with hype due to lack of that specific matchup knowledge, then he would get a much worst placing at a national. The only accurate way to compare how good 2 players are is by using big tourneys to see just how well they do overall, not just against each other. Simple example: Holy and me(when I played ics). He destroys my ics everytime, yet we placed exactly the same at apex. Why? Because he might be better than me at this matchup, but I make up for it by being better in others. Locals unfortunately are not that accurate in judging overall skill level : (. It is pretty much impossible to say whether or not tinman beat hype because he was as good, or because its a lack of matchup knowledge since recently they had similar placings. As far as we know though, at the moment hype has a very slight advantage over him.

Remember, we are small local scenes with little to no true matchup experience in about 80% of the game, we know a few matchups but thats really it. If tinman refuses to play olimar against others so that they don't learn the matchup, thats his choice, though id advise against it. In the US, people know the matchup, and if you never played against someone that does then you won't be as apt at countering their moves. If thats what he does, then hes hindering himself. On the other hand if he plays him often in friendlies and people still john about not knowing the matchup, thats their fault. Either way tbh I doubt anybody in Canada happens to know the oli matchup like the back of their hands.

swordgard

Smash Hero
^ and then theres the factor that i don't know certain matchups as well =_=. And LOL, Olimar being broken. There are 7 better characters :rotfl:
Yeah obviously it goes both ways. Olimar is incredibly broken, but incredibly flawed. Hes snake taken to the extreme, and snake is already very broken/flawed at the same time. A non broken character would be falco. Falco has nowhere where he excels, but hes kinda good everywhere and has no obvious weakness.

-Googs

Smash Lord
Yeah obviously it goes both ways. Olimar is incredibly broken, but incredibly flawed. Hes snake taken to the extreme, and snake is already very broken/flawed at the same time. A non broken character would be falco. Falco has nowhere where he excels, but hes kinda good everywhere and has no obvious weakness.
he gets gimped so hard!

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
Every character has a flaw.
Mk has poor horizontal air speed.
The thing is, some characters just have strengths that completely negate their weaknesses... Metaknight being a great example of one.

fUddO

Smash Ace
I'd say MK's weakness is a lack of weight, or perhaps having no projectile. Even then, it's hard to say there's an area he doesn't excel at. Even without a projectile, he can camp hard.

Xelyst

-_-
PS. don't worry about Zen lol, I'm sure it'd be a good set, esp if you played/practised as much as him and Guru do lol.

People just don't know who you are and think you're free :laugh:
we play the game 1-2 times every 1-2 months outside of tournament

this time around its not the pride of winning i cared about XD ... lol its the possible $300 that could have been made with only 1-3 people being competition <_<

*jealous nerd rage*

LOL

HrcPoke

Smash Apprentice
I'd say MK's weakness is a lack of weight, or perhaps having no projectile. Even then, it's hard to say there's an area he doesn't excel at. Even without a projectile, he can camp hard.
Metaknight IS the projectile.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
3. Tin Man - :olimar: ($40): You are the most obnoxious person when you win, it’s like Doc x5.
omg i lold so hard hahahahha, but i def disagree, tin doesnt nearly destroy his controller and be pissed the whole day when he loses lol

swordgard

Smash Hero
Every character has a flaw.
Mk has poor horizontal air speed.
The thing is, some characters just have strengths that completely negate their weaknesses... Metaknight being a great example of one.

Falco has decent offstage game to be honest. Side-B is a very good recovery, and allows for good mixups. He also has a decent offstage edgeguarding.

Mks slow aerial speed is counteredt by his ability to glide and nado at speeds that rivals jigg's. His weigh is close to perfect, kirby is actually one of the closest to having the perfect weight. MK is just a bit lighter than he should be, if he was too heavy hed get cged by d3 and would get ***** in the process. Kirbys weight is better. In terms of falling speed, Metaknight falls a bit quicker than he should, even though that makes him more tankyish, it also means he gets chaingrabbed by pikachu longer than he should. But he is very close to having an ideal weight/falling speed combination.

Top Bottom