• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSI Presents: Charity Gaming III (10/22/11): $450 for charity, 68 Unique Entrants!

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, regarding payout structure:

I also come from a poker background, and MMX has a good point -- the payouts should not have been so widely spread out. ESPECIALLY not for teams. A good rule of thumb with tournament payouts in poker is that you should never pay out an amount less than twice the entry fee. It's somewhat insulting. Funnel that money into higher positions.

I mean, 48-22-14-8-4-4 is a weird structure for singles, and I think you said before that you're trying to emphasize more people getting money so whatever, but change it if people like Paradigm and Dane are only getting 60% of their entry fee back as a prize. Like I said, it's insulting, and you don't have enough entrants to sustain such a wide distribution. Put that money in the top four places or, heck, at least have them face off for one of them to get that $2 profit.

Teams payouts were definitely worse, though. If you have seven teams and half of the money is being taken out for charity, 40-32-28 makes everyone angry. $2 / person profit, $0.50 / person profit, and $0 / person profit? Get rid of the 3rd place payout or make it a winner-take-all. You just essentially raked everyone's money.

I'm still happy with how most of the tournament went, personally (good venue, there were drinks, all you Smashers were pretty cool, Melee didn't get TOO far delayed, I got second somehow, etc.), but the payouts are dumb when you only have 20-30 people entering the more recent events.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Worst tournament I have ever been to.

- I brought my setup to the tournament since it seemed like they needed a lot of setups, but my venue fee didn’t get waived since they didn’t need it. I’m not too worried about that, just annoying that I walked with my setup to campus with the intention of them needing setups badly and then not using it for the entire tournament.
Yeah, at the very least it should state that "the first X many people to bring setups get the venue fee waved," where X represents the number of televisions available or something along those lines. Perhaps pair this with a count of the number of people in the thread who volunteer to bring a setup, so that once enough people have volunteered, people will know there will be no benefit to lugging a setup there and back. Maybe request one or two more setups than needed to counteract possible no-shows.

- Entry fee was $5 venue fee, $5 mandatory charity donation, $5 for singles, and $5 for teams. At least the ruleset said that. It was somewhat annoying that the “cover fee” was the same as the entry fee. If I’m paying $10 for the cover fee, I would expect the tournament to be of high quality and, subsequently, have high payouts.
I'm not even sure what the venue fee was for. The room is free for student organizations like OSI, and the beverages were probably a free grant from Coca-Cola. (I'm part of another student organization doing something similar, so I have first-hand experience with that stuff). Maybe the television rentals?

If venue fee goes to charity, and charity donation goes to charity, and half of singles goes to charity, and half of doubles goes to charity, that's 15USD/20USD = 75% of the money going in goes to charity. It's an even higher percentage if you don't enter both singles and doubles. As much as I approve of charity, that's crazy high, and probably ends up hurting more than helping. Personally, I think it'd be better a larger chunk went into the pot to appeal to more people, which bring in more venue/charity fees, which will net a larger total amount of money for charity. It'd be nice to bring in people from out-of-state and what not.

- BigR and I win teams. Ray (the tournament organizer) is announcing the winners over the microphone and says, “In first place in Melee doubles, BigR and his teammate!” Everyone was laughing, and I have a good sense of humor, so I thought it was pretty funny, too. Everybody knows BigR is good/nobody really knows who I am, so it makes sense. Plus people were saying that throughout the tournament: “Yeah, we lost to BigR.” I honestly don’t mind that at all because I’m pretty unknown, at least in the Columbus community. However, Ray did not even say something along the lines of, “Yeah, I’m joking, good job” or something to dismiss his previous statement. He seemed pretty genuine in his statement, and for a tournament organizer to say that? That’s a very amateur thing to do in his “professional” setting, not to mention that statement being false. I think anybody that watched our matches could tell you that I am a pretty competent doubles partner (singles: totally different story).
I talked to Ray about this, as I did feel it was a bit unprofessional as well, and if I remember correctly he said it was because he only remembered your first name. He called me "paradigm" since he forgot my on-the-birth-certificate name. I don't think he meant any harm - he was probably just overwhelmed trying to manage three simultaneous tournaments. Still, that doesn't make it any less unprofessional. He could have:
1) Said "Yeah, I'm joking, good job."
2) Memorized the names of the winners for the whole minute it takes to go through and announce them.
3) Just not done any sort of ceremony.

- A lot of that stuff was just pet peeve stuff, but this is where it starts to get shaky. After BigR and I win teams, we receive our first place envelope. Doing the math in my head, there were 7 teams, so $70 in the pot. I assumed that $42 was going to be in the envelope (assuming they did 60/30/10, which ended up not being the split, as it was like 55/30/15 or something along the lines of that). When we opened the envelope, we revealed $14. We’re like, okay, something has to be wrong here. We talk to Ray and he informs us that half of the doubles money went to charity as well . . . what? If you recall, it was $5 for charity, $5 for singles, and $5 for teams. However, Ray insists that money from both singles AND doubles are going to charity. I bring up the ruleset on a laptop, and I show Ray the ruleset that he posted on there. He’s like, oh, well I mean it’s only $2.50 more per person. Really? You’re calling yourself a professional with that kind of a statement? You have to be kidding me. That’s completely unacceptable. I tell him that he should follow the ruleset, and he just completely ignores me like I’m not saying anything. Great tournament organizer. Very professional.
Yeah, not following the posted rules goes from an excusable maybe-there-was-a-misunderstanding into the shady territory. It's there in black-and-white, with weeks of time to proofreed what was posted and fix it before the tournament started.

- I talk with the other teams, and the payout was $14, $11, and $10, to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, respectively. Okay, now I’m completely confused cause that is nowhere near 55/30/15. I talk with another person working the event (since Ray doesn’t want to listen to my “logic” anymore) and he informs me that there is a statement on the ruleset that says, “(Prize amount subject to change if there are less than 8 teams).” Okay, I can see the prize amount changing . . . but to split the money THAT way? 40/32/28? I would assume (logistically, that is) that “subject to change” means that you are eliminating 3rd place, cause realistically, why would 3rd place get any money in a 7-team event? He informs me that this payout structure is “more likely to keep people around,” that “if they get their money back, they are more likely to come back because they feel successful.” Or something along the lines of that. First of all, I’ve dealt with a multitude of various tournament structures (poker/smash/other video games), and money-back should NEVER exist. You’re not winning anything! You either win or lose in an event. You should not be able to “draw,” per se. If 1st place profits $2 each and 2nd profits $0.50, the tournament organizers are essentially just taking money from everybody. If you could quantify that into a statement, it would be, “The top 3 teams are breaking even, and we are taking all of the money from 4th-7th place.” That is beyond bad for a tournament. I tell him that if that is your logic, that breaking even will make people happy, then I guess you’re keeping them around but you’re clearly not keeping me around.
As someone who just barely made it into money in both singles and doubles, I agree. I feel more like the effort was wasted and there's a net loss irrelevant of if I win or loss; I'd be more inclined to go to another tournament. Achilles, who placed 3rd in teams and 5th in singles - AND brought a setup - still had a net loss.

- I overheard Ray and another person talking about the charity and about how much money was raised from this event. He said that $450 was raised for charity, and I was pretty impressed with that. The girl said to him, “What, so you just donate all this to a foundation or something?” Ray replied with, “Oh, well we don’t donate the money to a foundation. We don’t donate it to something like the Make-a-Wish foundation because they have employees working for that foundation. Well, why would we donate to this charity? We’re essentially paying the employees with our donating, and we don’t believe in that. Our organization is holding onto the money, and we are going to keep growing as we get more and more money. The more money we get, the bigger and better we become, and then the more money we can donate to charity.” I can’t believe I didn’t say anything in person to Ray about this, but I’m sure he would not have listened to me anyway. You’re not donating to a charity because they pay their employees? That’s a completely ridiculous argument. I’m sorry, but businesses rely on their employees to get the job done. The money still goes to a great foundation. I’m sorry you think it’s ludicrous that you’re paying employees. To comment even further, where is this money going? After hearing the conversation that you had, I cannot believe I didn’t ask for my money back. You’re just going to hold onto the money until you do bigger and better things? I don’t think you can call this event “donating to charity” unless you actually do it. Cause you know, that’s probably not legal. What if these Smash events never happen again? What if you never raise another dollar for these “supposed” charities again? Where is this money going to? I’m sorry, but the fact that you’re basically keeping the money “until further notice” makes me very uneasy. How the hell am I supposed to know if you are donating to a charity in the future? That is completely unacceptable, and I am definitely not donating another dollar to your “charity” ever again.
This I agree 100% with. I complained to Ray about it when I first learned about it as well. If I remember correctly, originally the profit from the first OSI was going to Child's Play, which I totally approved of. Now it's going to wherever the OSI people want it to go and those who actually gave the money for charity have no real control or say about it. That's shady as hell. Just let an experienced, established charity organization handle it, so we know where our money goes.

Tl;dr: this tournament was a complete joke. Not following the ruleset whatsoever and being incredibly shady regarding the charity aspect are the two main reasons why I’m never going to be at another one of these tournaments again. If this is the “saving grace” of the Melee community in Columbus, then I’m pretty sure I just lost all motivation I have had recently in continuing to play this game. So thanks for that.
The only reason I go to these is that they're conveniently timed and located. If I had a ride to the Michigan tournament I would have much rathered go there.

I'd rather remedy the issues than simply drop it completely, though. As far as I see it, it could be remedied thusly:

1) A larger percentage of the money in goes into the pot. $5 mandatory charity fee is enough, honestly; let the money going into doubles and the money going into singles stay in those pots. Everyone playing is alreadying giving charity. This will (a) result in happier players who are more likely to return, and (b) bring in more people in general, which will (c) net even larger amounts of money for charity. It's not like this could not scale up and it's necessary to squeeze as much money as possible from the people who attend; I know the Union has much larger rooms available (again, 100% free to student organizations like OSI).

2) Go with an established charity. Child's Play is probably the best choice, as everyone attending these understands the joy that can come from videogames, but if you want to give it to starving people in third world countries or cancer research, I don't really care. Just announce an established charity and stick with it. The current plan is shady as hell.

3) Individually congradulate people who win, or at least do them the honor of remembering their names for the whole time it takes to do the winning ceremony thing. Or just drop the ceremony. As it was done, it was rather insulting.

MMX's points are all valid and much more important, but if I can add a pet peeve of my own: Make the signup name field allow *either* real name *or* alias. Don't make people put their real names if they don't want too. "Name/alias: ________________" on the sign up sheet is fine. There are numerous benefits: (1) People don't have to put their names if they don't want. Someone in this thready already asked for the name be replaced by an alias on the results page. (2) People can recognize each other. I have no clue who 80% of the names in the bracket were, and had to run around yelling people's names to find and match them up. That's an unnecessary pain. No one (including Ray) knew who the hell Daniel T was, but I expect at least half if not more knew Paradigm, and could either recognize my face or the fact I'm the only one there who used Samus. (3) It helps handwriting and aural recognition. "Paradigm" is a unique word, "Dan" could easily be confused with "Dane" or "David" or a whole host of other things. I know I heard someone running around yelling for a "Von Braun" due to a mis-reading of the handwriting; there was no "Von Braun" there. (4) Uniqueness. There is only one "Paradigm" in the smash community, at least in the Ohio one. There were two Erics in my pool. (5) Aliases are *fun*. Someone gets to write their name up as "poop-head-face" and everyone gets to giggle like an idiot when it gets announced that "poop-head-face" took third place.

Letting us put in team names as well would be nice, but admitedly not as important.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
yo i love all u osi dudes but this megaman chap has some points. here are my solutions to this conundrum. you should listen to me because im good.

1. make it a 60-30-10 payout. this will give the tournament more credibility as this is the standard payout. in addition, it will make my wallet larger as i continue to accumulate more currency through playing an outdated video game designed for children.

2. if there are less than 8 teams, make it a 70-30 payout between 1st and 2nd. or even winner take all, there really isnt much money in the pot and i think its unfair that bigR and mmx got so little. none of the teams money should be goign to charity as its not part of the 5 dollar charity fee.

3. refer to everyone by their gamertag on the tournament sheet. this is smash, no one goes by their real name. everyone has some sort of childish/ridiculous gamer tag that everyone in the room calls them by. also dont misspell names.

all in all, i ***** everyone so i cant complain much. ggs to all i played good tournament i have class bye

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I didn't win any money, but I agree that we should completely know where our money is going. I was actually pretty excited knowing that part of the fee was going to be going towards a charity that seemed pretty cool. There's a problem though when we're told something different is happening than what we original thought and were told. As you can see, quite a few people were not pleased to hear these things. I also agree that the winner's deserved more than what they were awarded. Mostly, I just think that whatever we are told should happen that way and not change.

With names, my name is so commonly mispelled and or mistaken (Kyler) and I was indeed just wanting to be called Xykness or even Xyk at least because it was still unique, but more people had a feel for who I was because of smashboards and the smash community and its just more fun. Sure, Xykness might still be hard to pronounce, but people will get closer to that instead of shouting out Tyler or Kyle. Of course, this isn't as important as the money thing, but its still something to think about.

Good job to everyone in the tournament though. I had fun nevertheless and got some great matches in.

SDM

Smash Cadet
I'm not even sure what the venue fee was for. The room is free for student organizations like OSI, and the beverages were probably a free grant from Coca-Cola. (I'm part of another student organization doing something similar, so I have first-hand experience with that stuff). Maybe the television rentals?
Just to clarify, the venue fee was to pay for the services that are required for the room. For example, OSI has to pay the A/V team for making sure that there are no problems in the event of a power outage.

As for everything else, we're sorry that it didn't work out for everyone, but we'll try to take in some of the suggestions.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Just to clarify, the venue fee was to pay for the services that are required for the room. For example, OSI has to pay the A/V team for making sure that there are no problems in the event of a power outage.
Ah, okay, that's reasonable enough. I think.

As for everything else, we're sorry that it didn't work out for everyone, but we'll try to take in some of the suggestions.
That's what I wanted to hear :D

I'm not sore about anything, I just want future OSI's to be more awesomer.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So basically, MMX is upset because the doubles prizes were not properly listed in the OP here on Smashboards. That is my fault. Otherwise everything played out exactly as was advertised.

If you don't think the money will go to charity that is fine. You will simply be right until it does, at which point you will look like a **** for not having instant gratification. The idea is to have members of the club visiti a hospital and work directly with the kids who the money is going to, so it not only is a club activity, but 100% of the money goes to the kids, and the members of the club get more gratification since they are working directly with the children instead of a third party. The issue is it takes some time to set this up and we need a decent amount of money so we can help more than just 1 or 2 kids when we visit.

1. make it a 60-30-10 payout. this will give the tournament more credibility as this is the standard payout. in addition, it will make my wallet larger as i continue to accumulate more currency through playing an outdated video game designed for children.

2. if there are less than 8 teams, make it a 70-30 payout between 1st and 2nd. or even winner take all, there really isnt much money in the pot and i think its unfair that bigR and mmx got so little. none of the teams money should be goign to charity as its not part of the 5 dollar charity fee.

3. refer to everyone by their gamertag on the tournament sheet. this is smash, no one goes by their real name. everyone has some sort of childish/ridiculous gamer tag that everyone in the room calls them by. also dont misspell names.
Regarding #1: We could change the payout structure for Melee. Brawl standard basically is 48/22/14/8/4/4

Regarding #2: We will change the wording of the OP so it is clear where the money is going to. We can also look at not taking any money from doubles. To be clear, this was done at both OSI1 and OSI2, and was advertised as such. Big R was not foreign to this happening, for example.

Regarding #3: Actually, less than half the entrants of the tournament were from Smashboards. Most were just local guys from OSU who showed up and do not have gamer tags. In the future at the registration area we can make it so that you guys know that if you only want your gamertag we will have that option.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
thanks alpha zealot i feel honored that the head of smash community growth takes the time to read through my posts

Rikku~

Smash Apprentice
1: Y.b.M.-- I had a blast playing with you! ...even though you went mk AND gannon!! jeez what a jerk! lol j/k :p
2: Infern-- Good seeing you as always, I'm gonna miss you guys when you leave :( and we still need to play chess!!
3: Blue Rogue-- i'm gunna creep into your house while your asleep and steal Alice one day... muahahaha
4: AlphaZealot-- good tourney!!
5: Links24-- your new name from now on: Temmie "BUZZ" Parsons. lolololololol. thanks for driving, the road trip was hilarious :D
5: MX-- so glad we got to play!!! <3 dat yoshi <3333
7: Davon-- nice meeting you and awesome lucario! I really liked a few things you were doing, you inspired me to practice some more. hope to see you around again!!
9: SneakyTako-- fun talking with you!
9: JT --- good seeing you, we need to finish that match from forever ago some day
9: Lou - good seeing you!
13: Isaiah Howard-- nice meeting you, and GG's!
13: Kyle Kiester - spot dodge AHHHHH!!! lol always great to hang with you, looking forward to your next tourney and gg's in pools
13: Jiffy-- wow... you ACTUALLY TEAMED WITH ME. INSTEAD OF DITCHING ME. I'm in shock. trololololol
---Pools Cutoff---
17: Drillbit Sammy -- Good seeing you again, hope to see ya soon!
17: BeanBurrito-- GG's in pools
17: Auspher - DAAAAAAAYYYUUUUUUMMMM!!!!!!! that is all.
21: Chance Helliman-- lmao epic name misspelling. <3 Juuuu!!

To everyone else I had a chance to chat with/play: sorry I don't remember names but good job to everyone and it was great to see so many new faces. hope to see everyone again soon!

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Thanks for responding to the info that was unclear to us. Like I said, I had a greatly enjoyable time at the tourney, but I'm glad that you guys responded :D

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Regarding running away: at that point Melee pools were suppose to start. Then they decided to have a 3-way tie in one of the pools, so I just sat and did some friendlies.
I was just joking lol. I'm aware of what that whole situation was, i'm just teasing you :p

and yea paradigm, thats even better for meh. I'm sure i'll run into other people with pichu experience at some point :p
I have like no samus experience at all though :x
also my pichu is probably different than other pichus you've played... I got one a dem modern pichus. not some 2007 nair spamming bs.

Abu, i'm never gonna switch mains. I love pichu too much. Him sucking as a character makes no difference to me, if i ever place at a tourney, i want it to be with pichu and not any other character. If people like Taj or Vman can beast with a low tier, then why can't I? It'll just take lots of practice. lots and lots and lots. but i'll get there eventually ^^
maybe.

oh also, alpha zealot, I'm hosting a melee tourney sometime in january (I like the way OSi is done and i want it to be similar to it) and i just have a few questions about stuffs.
1. how do you do pools? is it completely random or do you try to balance the amount of good/bad people in each one?

I actually forgot my other questions... so i'll ask later :3

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
Taj and vman dont play pichu, dude trust me on this, pichu is utterly worthless. the reason taj and vman can do well not only because they are very skilled, but their characters have a lot more options and tricksies than pichu. if u wanna play pichu u may as well play pikachu, who despite their similarities is a lot better.

no matter how skilled you are if your character doesnt have options there is a limit to how good you can get, i understand you love pichu but unless you love losing it would be in your best interest to switch mains otherwise you are going to keep losing forever

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pika is nothing like pichu <_<
they just look the same.

Pichu can be much faster than Pika also, and pichu does have options still...
Losing only helps me see what I'm doing wrong, and part of the reason I play pichu is because I want to disprove people, like you, who believe that its impossible to win with him.

I believe that anything is possible, in regards to this game, its just much harder to do with low tiers.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I believe that anything is possible, in regards to this game, its just much harder to do with low tiers.
Yeah man!! I say if you enjoy playing as Pichu and you have that strive, then you can do it! The pichu burger challenges are a good example of a good pichu.

Although, if you put the best pichu up against the best of all the others, I don't believe Pichu would win, hence the tier list, but a really good pichu can still be trained to place in matches, its just more unlikely. Still possible :) Believe in yourself bro!

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
anythings not possible, at a higher level only certain characters can succeed and the one that is lowest on the tier list isnt one of them

Paradigm

Smash Ace
I'd like to say something along the lines of what Prince_Abu or Xykness, but the situation really wasn't entirely resolved by what AZ said.

So basically, MMX is upset because the doubles prizes were not properly listed in the OP here on Smashboards.
No, he was upset about a number of things, at least most of which were quite genuine. From what I understood, the fact the payout was not was was advertised was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. Making it seems as though he made such a long post stating he would never go to another OSI over a single typo is disingenuous at best.

That is my fault.
Props for taking the heat off Ray on that. Typos/miscommunications happen. Presumably Ray could have handled it better, stating that it was a mispost or something along those lines, I'm not really sure.

Otherwise everything played out exactly as was advertised.
While true, it doesn't make it ideal. There are a number of things which could be done to improve OSI. As Prince_Abu said, much <3 for you guys, but MMX had some points. There's room for improvement.

If you don't think the money will go to charity that is fine.
I can't speak for MMX, but what made me uncomfortable with it was that originally OSI was going to give the money to Child's Play. The original thread still has the Child's Play logo up. *That* clearly isn't a typo or miscommunication. Taking a bunch of money stated for one goal and then deciding - after the money has changed hands - that it is going somewhere else, is shady. I don't understand how one could formulate an argument otherwise, unless there was some pressing circumstance. I talked with Ray about that when I first learned the money wasn't going where I was lead to believe it was, probably either at the end of the first OSI or sometime in the second. He assured me it would in fact still go to children in need, and I decided to let the point go. I'm still not comfortable with it, and I would still rather it go to an established charity, but if I'm alone in that I'm quite willing to drop the point.

You will simply be right until it does, at which point you will look like a **** for not having instant gratification.
I don't follow the logic here - either about me looking like a ****, or not having instant gratification. But it's probably not something to squabble over.

The idea is to have members of the club visiti a hospital and work directly with the kids who the money is going to, so it not only is a club activity, but 100% of the money goes to the kids, and the members of the club get more gratification since they are working directly with the children instead of a third party. The issue is it takes some time to set this up and we need a decent amount of money so we can help more than just 1 or 2 kids when we visit.
That's certainly a respectable goal.

Regarding #1: We could change the payout structure for Melee. Brawl standard basically is 48/22/14/8/4/4
To clarify, the issue as MMX, JamesBJames, and I were stating wasn't the specific payout breakdown, so much as the specific amounts won vs amount payed in. The prospect of walking way with 60% of your entrence fee - as a reward - isn't very appealing. It may be wiser to redistribute it so whoever does win actually wins something, even if this means less people in the money. This means I would have not gotten anything in the last two OSI's. The breakdown used probably would have been fine if there were sufficiently many people.

Regarding #2: We will change the wording of the OP so it is clear where the money is going to.
I doubt anyone will have any complaints there.

We can also look at not taking any money from doubles.
The problems with the payouts from doubles were...
(1) The fact some of the money from doubles was being put towards charity rather than in the pot was not made sufficiently clear.
(2) The payouts for doubles was horrible for everyone, including first place. The idea of alloting the time, driving a large distance, risking $5 to enter the tournament - on top of a venue fee and mandatory charity fee - for a chance to earn a whopping $2 is... not appealing.

While taking not taking money from doubles is one solution, it is not the only: both problems could be resolved if (a) things were made more clear about where the money is going, and (b) more money was funneled into higher spots, possibly from lower ones. If 100% of the pot (even after the charity section was taken out) went to winners, (2) would be a non-issue. I'm not proposing that (b) is ideal, but it is another option to consider.

To be clear, this was done at both OSI1 and OSI2, and was advertised as such.
Not that I'm accusing you of lying here, but could you point me to where? It's quite possible I misread something and the fault lies with me, but I knew nothing about this. All three OSI tournament posts, as far as I could tell, stated the $5 would go to charity and a breakdown of the pot going which didn't say anything about any of it going to charity. I placed in doubles in both OSI2 and OSI3, and presumably I'm down roughly $5 total between the two of them from what I expected to get. It's going to a good cause; I personally don't care enough to make a big deal about it. However, I would appreciate it if the specifics of where the money is being shuffled around too was made more apparent, so I could either munch down on tasty $5 foot long, or feel like a badass hero for donating another $5 to a good cause.

Big R was not foreign to this happening, for example.
For clarity's sake, I don't think BigR complained. He was his jolly head-standing trash-talking self.

Regarding #3: Actually, less than half the entrants of the tournament were from Smashboards. Most were just local guys from OSU who showed up and do not have gamer tags. In the future at the registration area we can make it so that you guys know that if you only want your gamertag we will have that option.
Excellent! I'm glad I spoke up about that.

Again - just to make sure everything is all clear - I'm not sore at all about anything. I had a great time, laid some foundation for someone's life to be made better, and shot off many, many missiles. Much love for the OSI crew. I just feel like there is some room for improvement.

-----

AesirGod said:
also my pichu is probably different than other pichus you've played... I got one a dem modern pichus. not some 2007 nair spamming bs.
Yeah my only experience with Pichu's is back from around then... so maybe I don't know the match up as well as I had though. It'll certainly be interesting :D

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Not exactly. At a Brawl tourney a couple of months ago, Fonz, our PR'd Ganon took first. Ganon is at the bottom of the Brawl tier list. If I remember correctly, he is the only Ganon to ever win a tournament. Hell he even beat AZ, who happens to have one of best Diddys in the world.

:phone:

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Not exactly. At a Brawl tourney a couple of months ago, Fonz, our PR'd Ganon took first. Ganon is at the bottom of the Brawl tier list. If I remember correctly, he is the only Ganon to ever win a tournament. Hell he even beat AZ, who happens to have one of best Diddys in the world.

lol Prince_Abu such a scrub, got put in his place.

Never give up Pichu, you can do it.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord

melee isnt brawl, the two games are completely different. there is literally no one in melee who has achieved any real success with pichu, and theres a reason for that.

i admire the fact that u want to succeed with a low tier, aesirgod, but in all honesty pichu is not the low tier to try getting good with. u can argue with me all u want i guess but u can literally practice pichu for the rest of ur life and still not be good enough to beat even me, the character is just that bad.

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
Try mewtwo instead XD.

Edit: But seriously keep maining him at the end of the day its your choice. If you manage to become bad *** then great for you!!

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Fun matches of Young Link vs Pichu Aesir.

My name is so horribly spelled that I may use it as a tag of some sort now. Shoutouts to everyone who played Melee and Brawl, glad to see new faces in the community. It's always a treat.

I learned that I need to practice in Brawl if I'm going to do even remotely good now. Or just focus on Melee. Whichever I guess. I had a blast either way.

Abu, prepare your anus. Young Link is coming.

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
Everything everybody has said about Pichu is correct. Except for the Pichu main. Go Pikachu at least.

Also, seconding the request to get my Melee singles 2nd place name changed from Tyhiggs (not me) to Ty (me).

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Fun matches of Young Link vs Pichu Aesir.

My name is so horribly spelled that I may use it as a tag of some sort now. Shoutouts to everyone who played Melee and Brawl, glad to see new faces in the community. It's always a treat.

I learned that I need to practice in Brawl if I'm going to do even remotely good now. Or just focus on Melee. Whichever I guess. I had a blast either way.

Abu, prepare your anus. Young Link is coming.

ah so that was you, i never caught your name at the tourney, yea ggs ^^
that stupid dair kept getting me though I kept forgetting you could move it around <_<

also, silly ty, pika isn't pichu.. not the same character at all.

and as for silly abu man, no melee isn't brawl. melee has much more character balance :)

and the reason there hasn't been any good pichus is because everybody is scared to use him :p

All i need to do is be better than everybody else, then i'll win :troll:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yeah, I'd dropped a couple of things that I thought I might have gotten, but realized that you'd try to challenge YL air to air.

It happens.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I gotsta :3
I'm not that good on the ground yet. Still trying to incorporate tilts into my playstyle more.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
man abu you really suck up to everyone

and also i think that it isnt as much character vs character, but human vs human. obviously pichu has really limited options n stuff, but if ur the better player u should win. i think thats been said ever since this game came out. aesir himself just needs to get better. learning pichu would def make him that much better tho

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
thanks for hasing mah back ralis ^^

anyways, lets look at a character with less options than pichu:
bowser. Then this man named gimpyfish popped up. nuff said.

I'ma be the gimpyfish of pichu. I just gotta play a hell of a lot.
I think I'm doing pretty well for somebody who hasn't even been playing for 2 years :p

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Also, Aesir could be the one that says I just effed you up with a pichu! How does it feel? ^_^
Pichu is legit. I wanna see Aesir's progress with him and I look forward to fighting his Pichu again!
Depending on who he is facing, a pichu main can place in a tournament.
....Falco ROOLZ<3

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
LOL
*reads thread*

MMX with the salty drama again. xD
Oh lawdy. Like clockwork. It's a friggin charity event, chill out. AZ messes up sometimes, but he's at least trying to do something good and productive with the scene. Sheesh.

I SEE THERE WAS A PICHU HERE. <3

Cormander

Smash Rookie
In the 64 tournament I played Fox in singles and fox/falcon in doubles. This was my first smash tournament. I had a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to going to more events. :) I'll be sure to play at least some brawl friendlies next time. It's the only way I'll improve in that game.

tyhiggz

Smash Apprentice
The 64 tourney was good. I hope to have more people in the future (especially for singles).
It was my first tourney and it was hella fun; I hope to be playing competitively more often now.
I used pika and mario for doubles, and jiggly and yoshi with a little mario for singles.

SDM

Smash Cadet
I love Pichu, and I respect yours AesirGod. I wish I got to play yours, 'cause I want mine to be better.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
The Ohio State University | Columbus, OH USA
Response to concerns

I’m sorry for not getting to this sooner. It looks like there are several misconceptions and doubts about our tournament and our charity. Let me take this chance to address everyone’s points.

I can’t believe I didn’t say anything in person to Ray about this, but I’m sure he would not have listened to me anyway.
Perhaps you should’ve; then you would not have misinterpreted what you overheard.

- I overheard Ray and another person talking about the charity and about how much money was raised from this event. He said that $450 was raised for charity, and I was pretty impressed with that. The girl said to him, “What, so you just donate all this to a foundation or something?” Ray replied with, “Oh, well we don’t donate the money to a foundation. We don’t donate it to something like the Make-a-Wish foundation because they have employees working for that foundation. Well, why would we donate to this charity? We’re essentially paying the employees with our donating, and we don’t believe in that. Our organization is holding onto the money, and we are going to keep growing as we get more and more money. The more money we get, the bigger and better we become, and then the more money we can donate to charity.”
You’re not donating to a charity because they pay their employees? That’s a completely ridiculous argument. I’m sorry, but businesses rely on their employees to get the job done. The money still goes to a great foundation. I’m sorry you think it’s ludicrous that you’re paying employees.
You assume that our rationale for not donating to charities is because they pay their employees. That was a specific example of our pursuit for closure. Nonprofits, such as Make-A-Wish, are businesses that have salaries for employees. But let’s say we donate the money we raised from this tournament. The money can go anywhere. In other words, the money can go anywhere and not necessarily directly to the children. The only way to have the ultimate sense of closure for where the money goes is for us to go to these hospitals, such as Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, and use the money in-person to help these kids, be it through granting wish lists or hosting social events such as local authors’/local athletes’ meet-and-greets. The reason we’re holding onto the money right now is because we can’t do much with the funds we have right now; we would only be able to help a couple kids. We need to have a decent amount of funds saved up before we can go and apply the funds ourselves. We’ve set the current goal at $3,000 and are currently trying to network with more hospitals (we already have a contact for Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton). These have obviously been prioritized behind what was needed to host the tournament this past weekend.

To comment even further, where is this money going? After hearing the conversation that you had, I cannot believe I didn’t ask for my money back. You’re just going to hold onto the money until you do bigger and better things? I don’t think you can call this event “donating to charity” unless you actually do it. Cause you know, that’s probably not legal.
As for where this money is going, see above.

What if these Smash events never happen again? What if you never raise another dollar for these “supposed” charities again? Where is this money going to? I’m sorry, but the fact that you’re basically keeping the money “until further notice” makes me very uneasy. How the hell am I supposed to know if you are donating to a charity in the future? That is completely unacceptable, and I am definitely not donating another dollar to your “charity” ever again.
The other participants place their trust in our organization, our vision, and our dedication to what we’re doing here. I’m not going to waste anymore space or time defending our cause and organization from misinformed or baseless slander.

As for the personal remarks on my professionalism, I believed I congratulated people who placed in the money, but if it’s your word against mine, then I will formally apologize here for not announcing your name and not congratulating you. I will not make excuses for this and I will definitely need to have a more professional ceremony for awarding winners. Paradigm, if you recall, we had a much more jovial and professional ceremony at OSI Charity Gaming I where it was just a Melee tournament. But with Brawl, 64, and Melee running at the same time with some games ending well before others and winners getting impatient with the awards ceremony, I was too worried about placating some of the players and was not as mentally composed as usual. This is definitely an area for improvement.

Another aspect that we will definitely be addressing is the payouts and the discrepancy we had with them. I will second AlphaZealot that we have done the pot split for charity for OSI Charity Gaming I and OSI Charity Gaming II exactly the same as this one. As for why the SmashBoards thread showed a different story, the blame lies with both AlphaZealot and me. The post on the forum was completely recycled from OSI Charity Gaming I, and it was originally adapted to the Melee-only tournament. It had no mention of teams because it was our very first tourney, and we did not know if we should have expected enough time for teams. We ended up having teams, and the 50% of entry fee going to charity, at the end and all worked well. However, the teams were never added to the tourney main page. The way AlphaZealot had entered it was $5 venue fee, $5 tourney entry fee, and $5 charity donation, which amounted to the same as the $5 venue fee and $10 to enter singles (informing the payer that $5 from every tourney entry would go to charity). This was done to advertise clearly on the fliers that we posted all over campus that this was a charity and it amounted to the same. Obviously, we didn’t account for teams, and no one got around to updating that information. It’s clear now that we will be revising payout information.

We’ll end this for now with a discussion on the venue fee. Paradigm, you are correct that the Great Hall Meeting Room’s rental fee was free for us as a student organization, but that is the biggest room that we can get for free, since it is 3 rooms combined. If you want someone that knows the Union’s room rental system inside and out, including dealing with administration, talk to me. The Performance Hall is $800, the US Bank Theater is $1,000 and the Archie Griffin Grand Ballroom is $1,800, and these are the prices after the student org. discount. These are the only rooms bigger than our venue.

We did in fact hire A/V technicians since a remarkable amount of work goes behind-the-scenes getting everything hooked up and ready to go on the day of before registration starts. A big thing that venue fee has gone towards paying is for TVs. For the record, we provide TVs for the event; in fact, we have over 30 TVs that belong to the club and can be used for our video game tournaments.

This leads to my final point- Smash tournaments have a few key aspects endemic to SmashBoards players: Payout, Venue, Number of Setups, and Quality of Tournament Organizers.

We do realize that the payout is being cut substantially. However, we are doing something that’s never been done (at least to my knowledge) in the Smash community. We are rallying a concerted charitable effort. And we know that we need to make up for the decreased payout. We have secured an incredible venue, we are one of the only tournaments that provide lagless televisions (and a good number of them) and only require that smashers bring consoles and game discs. Our venue is conveniently located next to food places both inside and directly across the street, and we arrange for free Coke beverages. Finally, we have the honor of Alphazealot- a dedicated and venerable Tournament Organizer managing pools and brackets. To cap it off, we have dedicated fliers printed and distributed across the Ohio State campus. Everyone, from me to newly-joined freshmen is down in the trenches posting fliers in dorms, classroom buildings, and labs. This is how we consistently get many Ohio State students; some of which are affectionately known as “pot fillers.”

As an organization united under one vision, we work very hard to make it worth your (SmashBoards folks) while to attend our tournaments even though the payout is lower than what you might be used to. We try to compensate by making every other aspect (and some that aren’t) of your usual Smash tournament as best as possible.

Thanks to everyone who came to our tournament. We really appreciate your vote of confidence in what we do and what we stand for. We hope you enjoyed this event as much as we enjoyed putting it on!

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
man abu you really suck up to everyone

and also i think that it isnt as much character vs character, but human vs human. obviously pichu has really limited options n stuff, but if ur the better player u should win. i think thats been said ever since this game came out. aesir himself just needs to get better. learning pichu would def make him that much better tho
its not, its character to character, pichu cannot beat sheik simple is that

@ aesirgod, if u dont wanna listen then u dont have to, but i imagine if you wanna keep driving all the way from cleveland you would want to do better than to lose in pools over and over. pichu blows, pick a good character and learn techskill and stuff first, then if u really want to feel free to go back to pichu, but you probably will see better results with a better character. i dont know why people are supporting you and saying pichu *****, its not true.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I'm not saying Pichu *****. He can be decent at times, but there is NO doubt that a sheik player that is of same experience as a pichu player would win in a match. The sheik would probably still win with half as much experience as the pichu player. I just think that its cool that Aesir is trying. I respect those who take on the challenge of winning matches with Pichu, cuz its not an easy thing to do.

MegamanX14

Smash Apprentice
As Paradigm said, what happened with the Child's Play organization? It seems to make perfect sense to donate to that charity. And the fact that you are transferring from donating to that charity from the start to going to this hospital idea is pretty strange to me as well. I mean, I'm already not coming back to these tournaments so I don't know why I'm arguing. I would just feel a lot more safe if you were donating the money to an organization off the bat (Child's Play, since, you know, we're raising money via video games) rather than holding onto it and changing directions. I mean, you can say what you want about the charity, but I'll always be skeptical. I'm happy for you guys that if you are genuinely trying to help some form of kids out somewhere, then good for you guys. It's a great cause. I'll always have some form of skepticism somewhere in my brain, though.

As for doubles, you still didn't address the one issue I had with you. Why did you ignore me when I tried to talk to you about the payout structure? Why wouldn't you walk me through your process, or, after I showed you the ruleset, say something like, "Yeah, I made a mistake. These were the old rules." I don't get it. If you are that committed to saying that those were the old rules, obviously you should have known at that specific point in time that the rules were wrong. Ignoring me is pretty unprofessional, and it definitely seems like you didn't have reasoning at that time to tell me that the rules were outdated. So what was your reasoning for ignoring me then?

Regarding the announcements, you did shake my hand, but you seemed quite heavily biased against me since I walked in the place. You did not say anything when you shook my hand; I think you were talking with BigR when this happened. Between that, ignoring my arguments about the ruleset, and the conversation at the end of the tournament (where you gave me my singles money and ended the conversation rather abruptly), being biased against a competitor in a tournament that you are running is just another example of a lack of professionalism.

But whatever, I'm an outlier in this thread, pretty much. It seems like everyone has a good time at these events, so I'm not trying to bring them down. If you have a good time, keep coming to these. I'm just way too logical of a person to be having fun at an event like this (especially with the way it was ran). Placing 1st and 4th and ending up -$1 on the day is pretty comical in my eyes. But I've also had a lot of experience in the Smash community via previous tournaments, so if you're a new player or just someone looking for more tournaments in general, then these will be rewarding for you guys. Just not for me, I guess.

AZ: Thanks for that thought-out reply. Appreciated, dood.
Kassandra: I like your method of posting: <insert generic comment that doesn't apply to the conversation at all here> Keep 'em coming, they're quite entertaining.

Top Bottom