• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSI Presents: Charity Gaming III (10/22/11): $450 for charity, 68 Unique Entrants!

Stangr

Smash Rookie
@aesir best pichu i've ever played by far
@abhi pretty terrible player in general, got lucky imo
overall a great tournament, gg's all

EricHimself

Smash Rookie
Just curious, where'd Child's Play come from? I never heard anything about it for this tournament.

Was Ray really ignoring you? I never saw you directly address him, yet while you were talking to AZ and me, Ray even went the extra mile and came up to see what was going on. He answered your immediate question, then walked away. Maybe you should have made it more clear to him that you still had an issue if you weren't done talking to him.

I agree that Ray should have made an effort to learn your name before announcing the prize money, and you've made it very clear how offended you are by his lack of professionalism.

I know smash is serious business, and I love playing competitively and winning just as much as the next guy, but try to lighten up and enjoy the game we gathered together to play.

Stangr

Smash Rookie
Just curious, where'd Child's Play come from? I never heard anything about it for this tournament.

Was Ray really ignoring you? I never saw you directly address him, yet while you were talking to AZ and me, Ray even went the extra mile and came up to see what was going on. He answered your immediate question, then walked away. Maybe you should have made it more clear to him that you still had an issue if you weren't done talking to him.

I agree that Ray should have made an effort to learn your name before announcing the prize money, and you've made it very clear how offended you are by his lack of professionalism.

I know smash is serious business, and I love playing competitively and winning just as much as the next guy, but try to lighten up and enjoy the game we gathered together to play.
agreed, we should all take aesirs example. . He had great sportsmanship even after getting pummeled relentlessly. . hats off to you aesir.

Big_R

Smash Champion
I figured the charity donation was there for a reason. Then the pots would stand on their own seeing as they were only 5 bucks entry. I ran a tourny where I expected more but had with only 4 teams and on the spot I decided....winner take all. It's generally the right thing to do. Just announce something like that and it's done.

I also calculated worst case scenarios on the pot so I wasn't surprised when we got practically nothing but it pretty much killed my motivation.

I'm not foreign to the way things are going because Ray asked me personally what he should do in the past. I should have told him EXACTLY what he should do but I gave suggestions and told him to run it the way he wanted a long time ago.

AZ is on the attack for the most part...but it's not going to please the people who complained. Especially when they weren't disrespectful in their complaints. No one is saying YOU'RE AN IDIOT AZ YOU RUINED THINGS. So why would you respond as if Kbod or Paradigm are being rude?

Ray for as much as you asked me for my advice on things and how humble this started I can't say I'm proud with how you're handling this criticism. I agree with everything Kevin (mmx) said. You have you're side and your reasons for doing things...we all understand. Just because your TOing is being criticized doesn't mean you have to brush off the core of the message. You can explain your side and apologize that they are upset....while still staying firm in what you believe in. If you really want to grow you will take in the criticism and improve upon it.

Also Ray you come off as a person who shows a good deal of favoritism and it feels as if you aren't being yourself. Or you are playing a role. I remember way back when you didn't have an organization and were just a new smasher on the scene. Maybe I just didn't know you but if I were you I would try to retain a degree of humility even though you are juggling a position of power.

Also I wasn't gonna say anything because I had just decided not to ever go to any tournament again for multiple reasons. DEFINITELY not in a competitive capacity.

This is a tourny series. Child's play was mentioned to begin this series. It's not outlandish to assume that is still the plan. You are rude for even asking that question.

It is not "above and beyond" to answer and immediate question. It is common courtesy. Maaaybbe "above and beyond: would be to address Kevin's actual concerns. But he huddled up with AZ then walked away when K bod didn't say anything else besides "Maybe you will get more people to enter your tourny, but you will lose me." It was 2 non confrontational people but Kevin brought things up and Ray did not address them. He wasn't backed in a wall by Kevin so apparently he felt he could just walk away and not answer instead of face what was going on like a man.

I know you guys wanted to pad your resumes with this little side gig but when there are complaints you are obligated to handle them. If this is your way of facing the music then it is what it is. You aren't going to learn as much as you say you did when you lie on that job interview about your "charity tournament experiences" but that's on our own conscience.

I didn't get heavily involved for exactly this reason. I understood the responsibilities and chose not to take them on. You should know better....or at least be more open to learning.

SDM

Smash Cadet
I figured the charity donation was there for a reason. Then the pots would stand on their own seeing as they were only 5 bucks entry. I ran a tourny where I expected more but had with only 4 teams and on the spot I decided....winner take all. It's generally the right thing to do. Just announce something like that and it's done.
Don't worry. We've already taken this under consideration.

I also calculated worst case scenarios on the pot so I wasn't surprised when we got practically nothing but it pretty much killed my motivation.
And again, I apologize for what happened with that, but we're going to improve the experience for next time.

AZ is on the attack for the most part...but it's not going to please the people who complained. Especially when they weren't disrespectful in their complaints. No one is saying YOU'RE AN IDIOT AZ YOU RUINED THINGS. So why would you respond as if Kbod or Paradigm are being rude?
Well, I don't think Paradigm is being rude. I thought he was very constructive and agreeable, but MegaManX14 came off pretty hostile in his rant. I suppose we could have misread that, but if we did, it'd be nice if he'd clarify it himself.

Ray for as much as you asked me for my advice on things and how humble this started I can't say I'm proud with how you're handling this criticism. I agree with everything Kevin (mmx) said. You have you're side and your reasons for doing things...we all understand. Just because your TOing is being criticized doesn't mean you have to brush off the core of the message. You can explain your side and apologize that they are upset....while still staying firm in what you believe in. If you really want to grow you will take in the criticism and improve upon it.
He apologized for not saying MMX's name when announcing the winners, and he says that he will take advice for the payouts in the future. I admit that he didn't respond too well when MMX attacked his organization in general, but I don't think the attack on OSI's methods is called for.

Also Ray you come off as a person who shows a good deal of favoritism and it feels as if you aren't being yourself. Or you are playing a role. I remember way back when you didn't have an organization and were just a new smasher on the scene. Maybe I just didn't know you but if I were you I would try to retain a degree of humility even though you are juggling a position of power.
I'm guessing that he doesn't feel too great about MMX attacking OSI. That was the biggest part of his rant. Saying "OSI is not a charity" is probably as hurtful to him as someone saying "Your job is a scam" to you. At least I think thought that it was pretty offensive.

Also I wasn't gonna say anything because I had just decided not to ever go to any tournament again for multiple reasons. DEFINITELY not in a competitive capacity.
I'm really sorry to hear that. :( But if you ever stop by Columbus again, you think I can play you in a smashfest? I've heard all about you, but I never got a chance to be crushed by you.

This is a tourny series. Child's play was mentioned to begin this series. It's not outlandish to assume that is still the plan. You are rude for even asking that question.
I won't be able to speak for Eric, but he might not have read the first thread. Regardless, I'm sure he's sorry.

It is not "above and beyond" to answer and immediate question. It is common courtesy. Maaaybbe "above and beyond: would be to address Kevin's actual concerns. But he huddled up with AZ then walked away when K bod didn't say anything else besides "Maybe you will get more people to enter your tourny, but you will lose me." It was 2 non confrontational people but Kevin brought things up and Ray did not address them. He wasn't backed in a wall by Kevin so apparently he felt he could just walk away and not answer instead of face what was going on like a man.
I wasn't here, so I don't know what happened. But if it's personal, y'all should just sort this out with Ray via PM. I don't think he would mean to do that on purpose.

I know you guys wanted to pad your resumes with this little side gig but when there are complaints you are obligated to handle them. If this is your way of facing the music then it is what it is. You aren't going to learn as much as you say you did when you lie on that job interview about your "charity tournament experiences" but that's on our own conscience.
This is a bit offensive to me, but I'm trying to handle the complaints as well as I can. I'm not pretending that our charity event was perfect. I even told Ray that some of the things you've all said makes sense, and he agrees that some things needs to be changed. We never said that we won't listen.

I didn't get heavily involved for exactly this reason. I understood the responsibilities and chose not to take them on. You should know better....or at least be more open to learning.
I'm sure Ray is open to learning. At least I am. I'm very new to the scene, and I only showed up this quarter, so bear with me. I'm not as familiar with the Smash scene as Ray or AlphaZealot is. But yeah, we're listening. Sorry if we came off like we weren't.

EDIT: This is all based on the rant MMX rant post and Ray T's response.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
haha, sure pichu/sheik is hard as hell, but people thought mewtwo/marth was pretty much unwinable, yet Taj ***** at that matchup :p

@aesir best pichu i've ever played by far
@abhi pretty terrible player in general, got lucky imo
overall a great tournament, gg's all
Oh who were you? The whole use of real names made me not know most of the people I was playing against.

@SDM yea we'll have to play at the next one ^^
I liked your marth ^^

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Pika is nothing like pichu <_<
they just look the same.

Pichu can be much faster than Pika also, and pichu does have options still...
Losing only helps me see what I'm doing wrong, and part of the reason I play pichu is because I want to disprove people, like you, who believe that its impossible to win with him.

I believe that anything is possible, in regards to this game, its just much harder to do with low tiers.
Vman + Axe here.
1st off *nods* Maddd respect, I can respect your mindset, it's nice to see.. n_n

just saying We both LOVE this comment. AZ has faith in you. It will be a tough journey. Taj had to prove it with Mewtwo, Axe had to prove it with Pikachu, and (even move Pikachu up a tier) and I had to prove it with Yoshi. We believe it can be done. It just requires the right mindset. Keep your head up, you got this,

Note, Im sure as Prince and yourself have stated, it indeed will be very difficult, but we've faith ^^ <3

^Man I really like this comment,
/motivated *practices* I'm making it to bracket at apex, not with yoshi this time like Pound V, but with Roy!
*motivation*!!!!!!!!!!!

That'd be cool ^^

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
My lower tiered character I've been working on is Luigi, just for the challenge and he's a freaking fun character to play as!
Aesir, you will hafta show me some cool stuff with Pichu sometime, cuz it seems like a really cool idea ^_^

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I've also been playing Luigi for a bit, actually.

Currently, my decent (because none of them are good) characters are Marth, Young Link, Luigi, and Mario in that order. It used to be Falco back when I played P:M alot, but I've transitioned.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Let's talk about how my Young Link will do work on you when I get better at this game.

Alternatively. I'm bored and want to play Melee.

MegamanX14

Smash Apprentice
@SDM: Why are you making me seem like such a horrible person in this thread? I don't understand. Are you saying that, because I instigated the conversation, that I am the main culprit and deserve to be punished verbally for it? I feel like the comments in your last post are completely unacceptable, and I'm not okay with you calling me "hostile." If I were hostile, I would be wishing that people got hit by a bus for their actions or something, and that's obviously not the case. I don't hate any of you, and I would appreciate it if you returned the respect. Trust me, I could've gone off and started calling you guys names and cussing and whatnot, but I'm more respectful than that. The only thing that could possibly be considered "hostile" is my attack on OSI, and it wasn't even an attack. I overheard a conversation made specifically by Ray, and I wasn't okay with it. I wanted him to clarify his stance on it. He clarified his stance, and I am still skeptical. That's not hostility in the least.

SDM said:
Well, I don't think Paradigm is being rude. I thought he was very constructive and agreeable, but MegaManX14 came off pretty hostile in his rant. I suppose we could have misread that, but if we did, it'd be nice if he'd clarify it himself.
This is the most absurd thing I've ever read in my life. I don't want to single out Paradigm here (not my intention), but if he's agreeing with a lot of the things I am saying, how is he any different? How is he not a "hostile" person? I'm not saying this to make Paradigm look bad; I'm trying to make myself look a little better than what you're giving me credit for. Saying I'm hostile and that everyone else is agreeable is just ridiculous. Just because I'm the instigator of the complaints on the tournament doesn't make me the "bad person." I'm just bringing to attention the things that need to be brought to attention.

@EricHimself: I mean, I was complaining about the ruleset and I showed him specifically what was different in the thread as opposed to what he said in person, and then he disregarded my requests, huddled into the corner with you guys, and was talking over me to basically seem like I didn't exist. And then walked away. Yeah, I would say that's ignoring me.

Big_R

Smash Champion
SDM you have been the most professional of this bunch. I was mainly talking about the other people responding in this thread. MMX or anyone complaining NEVER put themselves in a position to have to BE professional, as they are not running anything. They are simply giving feedback in a nicer way than most people would.

The responses I was seeking were aimed more at Ray, AZ, and the post I quoted from Eric. I understand they were dealing with SOME hostility but I felt it's their job to respond more like you did SDM. You have handled this more effectively than anyone and for that I commend you.

The only thing I would say is that MMX isn't some terrorist that should be demonized. Like he said he started the conversation and really is better than anyone else for doing it. He has taken a bullet and at the end of the day what do you think it's going to do for you? Well if you have taken anything it is going to HELP you get better. I would have said nothing and simply saved myself from any more bad times because I just did not care enough to make this a better experience for everyone. I was content with being selfish about the whole scenario. What MMX is doing is actually the bigger (bigr??) thing to do.

You have fanned out my flames but I do not understand why you still want to make SOMEONE (MMX) the scape goat. Especially when one of his arguments was that he wasn't getting respect.

The bottom line is he put himself out there by posting his criticism about something he was UPSET about. It's natural to get a little put off by it as people running this, but you have to maintain you're ground and be professional because THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE AIMING FOR. A Professional organization. At least I feel that's the best course of action.

Since you just joined this quarter I think they have gotten a real steal with you're help and I urge you to continue handling things as you see best because it seems you're judgement has been the best thus far. Regarding playing me. I'm down to play if the stars align. I don't have smashfests and rarely attend others but I'm never against this game for fun.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
ok u guys stop complaning jesus im the one who got 1st place and only 48% of the pot and im still sittin here smiling cause i love smash!!!!

enough with the paragraphs my eyes hurt

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
A **** post by Big R.

As for how I feel about it since I recall someone asking me about it, I believe that MMX has some valid concerns which when I thought about it, I also mirror. I think he brought up his case in a way that marginally could be perceived as hostile (that is to say, you can get defensive hearing it) but was put mostly professionally and critically. But at the same time, he felt disrespected so I mean... it makes sense if you might hear some venom.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
also theyre gonna fix the ruleset next tournament so lets steer this conversation back to how im really good

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Actually, let's switch this conversation to how many people are going to show up at Momo's tomorrow for Melee.

You should click the link in "Momo's" by the way. (For those Internet challenged)

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Well, I don't think Paradigm is being rude. I thought he was very constructive and agreeable
I'm relieved to hear that. I saw Ray in person yesterday and he didn't seem happy to see me... I figured he was just frustrated with conversation on here but I was a bit worried he misread my intent and was upset with me personally. I have mad props for Ray and the rest of OSI. Organizing something like this isn't easy.

I'm sure Ray is open to learning. At least I am. I'm very new to the scene, and I only showed up this quarter, so bear with me. I'm not as familiar with the Smash scene as Ray or AlphaZealot is. But yeah, we're listening. Sorry if we came off like we weren't.
I really can't see anyone asking for anything more then this.

MegamanX14 said:
@SDM: [...] I feel like the comments in your last post are completely unacceptable, and I'm not okay with you calling me "hostile."
I completely disagree; SDM's comments were extremely reasonable. He was even open to the possibility he misunderstood the hostility he read in your post.

MegamanX14 said:
I don't want to single out Paradigm here (not my intention), but if he's agreeing with a lot of the things I am saying, how is he any different?
Tone and phrasing. We could have had the exact same intent, and by a difference in the way things are phrased it could be interpreted differently. People have trouble expressing and reading tone via text alone. What I find often works best is to just flatly state the intended tone in the comment, and apologize that you weren't clear if you think they misread your tone (even if you think it was the other guy's fault for misreading it). Something to the effect of "Sorry, I didn't intend to be hostile; I had meant to simply express concerns which I am confident could be resolved."

Big_R said:
SDM you have been the most professional of this bunch.
Agreed 100%.

With SDM in the loop I'm confident the situation will be resolved and the next OSI will be the bestest OSI ever.

MegamanX14

Smash Apprentice
SDM said:
. . . but MegaManX14 came off pretty hostile in his rant . . .

. . . I admit that he didn't respond too well when MMX attacked his organization in general . . .

I'm guessing that he doesn't feel too great about MMX attacking OSI . . .

This is all based on the rant MMX rant post . . .
This is pretty much why I say it's unreasonable. "Rant" has a pretty negative connotation associated with it, as does the word "attack." Would it be okay if I said, "I may have misinterpreted the situation, and clarify me if I did, but . . . " and then listed a ton of negative things about you and attacking your personality traits? People aren't going to see that maybe all these things are wrong. They're going to associate the things aforementioned to myself and see me as this hostile person, and that's clearly not the image I'm going for in this community (I'd rather just be BigR's partner, right).

But, in any case, as I mentioned in my previous post, I am not trying to be hostile, so I would hope that nobody thinks of me that way. To put it in other words, would you rather me voice my complaints about the tournaments so future tournaments will have more direction? Or would you rather have me sit back and let you have this false sense of perfection that came from this event? If you consider that hostility, then I don't know what to tell you.

(As an aside, the term "you" has no meaning, just to whomever reads my posts)

I agree with BigR and Paradigm, though. SDM, you've been the most consistent and the most professional person in this bunch, so it's much appreciated. The whole "scapegoat" thing is kinda annoying, and I would appreciate it if I were not considered as such, but otherwise, I'm glad that you seem more open to the suggestions and complaints that were mentioned before. So thank you for that.

EricHimself

Smash Rookie
MegamanX14 and BigR,

I have mad respect for both of you guys, and I'm sorry for being rude. I truly intend to improve myself and OSI in every way I can, and I do appreciate your constructive criticism.

What I don't appreciate is stuff like this:
Worst tournament I have ever been to.
I guess I let unnecessary comments like that get to my head, but I'll try not to let it happen again.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
this was the worst tournament ive ever been to as well.

by that i mean you all suck it was way to easy owning u looooooooooooool

tyhiggz

Smash Apprentice
Sadly, during 64 doubles everyone pretty much left as they got knocked out before it even finished, which was well before singles began.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Vman + Axe here.
1st off *nods* Maddd respect, I can respect your mindset, it's nice to see.. n_n

just saying We both LOVE this comment. AZ has faith in you. It will be a tough journey. Taj had to prove it with Mewtwo, Axe had to prove it with Pikachu, and (even move Pikachu up a tier) and I had to prove it with Yoshi. We believe it can be done. It just requires the right mindset. Keep your head up, you got this,

Note, Im sure as Prince and yourself have stated, it indeed will be very difficult, but we've faith ^^ <3

^Man I really like this comment,
/motivated *practices* I'm making it to bracket at apex, not with yoshi this time like Pound V, but with Roy!
*motivation*!!!!!!!!!!!

That'd be cool ^^
haha you just made my day ^^
thanks for supporting me and whatnots ^^

also, everybody, OSI is pretty cool. Instead of being so negative, why not give suggestions in a positive manner in order to make the next one even better?
Ray, SDM, and the rest of the OSI team, you guys are great. keep it up ^^

oliman

Smash Journeyman
prince abu is darn good. he consistently 3 stocked me with everyone except pikachu and marth i think. still tho i got u down low that one match when u were puff. idk if u were sandbagging that match. me and aesir r gunna have a tourney down here in cleveland, you should come. hope you dont get bored 4 and 3 stocking everybody like u did vs me

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Lemme know if y'all host another tourney! Anywhere in OH is cool. I'd love to come smash with you awesome people again ^_^

:phone:

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
Hey all, this is Roman here. I dont have an actual account on smash boards so i guess ill post from the account we created a long time ago for the organization because its the only thing i have access to. I'm vice president of this organization so i hope that i can clarify some of the comments that i have seen on this post come up.

First of all, MMX, if Ray has not yet apologized directly to you about the way he called you up to collect your prize money then I would like to take this opportunity to do so on behalf of the entire organization. When i heard him say "and Big R's partner" i thought that you were perhaps one of his good friends- someone that he would joke around with like this but judging from the posts made over the past two days, this was not the case. I agree that the manner that he handled that situation was poor and we will ensure that it will never happen again.

Now I'll try and address the common concerns i saw crop up in the thread so far.

1. The venue fee is to cover the cost of actually hosting the tournament from the organizations point of view. Yes, the rooms are free but we have to pay for a technician to come and ensure that the room is capable of "meeting our power demands." Also, we bought almost all of the TVs you saw at our event. As it stands, there are 26 TVs in my basement plus about 10 VCRs that are used to run the console through the TV if it lacks A/V inputs or if the ones that are there are fried. These expenses coupled with us renting a microphone for every event add up and so we felt that a $5 venue fee was necessary to keep us afloat. Anything left over from the venue fee is put into our pot for charity.

2. As far as charity, yes, initially we planned on donating the money directly to childs play. why? because we held video game tournaments and it made the most sense. However, last spring we, as an organization, decided that we wanted to help out the community and focus our charitable efforts on local hospitals for terminally ill children. As Ray said, we want to meet these kids and provide them with almost an escape from reality be it through books, video games, or other activities. This really is too long to explain over a smash boards post but we have held numerous meetings this quarter to explain our vision and our goals. We understand that for people that did not attend these meeting, our vision may look shady because we have held onto the money up until this point. We really arent sure how to address this issue. Realistically, we cant announce our goals and vision before every event so every attendee is aware of where his/her money is going because it is redundant for many of the participants.

If you are curious, we filmed, and may still have the video of Ray's presentation of our goals. If you are interested in watching the video (be warned, its about an hour long) then we will happily send it your way assuming that we still have record of it (we should).

3. Regarding payout: please bare with us on this. Looking back on it, it is evident that the doubles money was poorly distributed. I believe that no one in the organization, with the exception of AZ, has any credible tournament experience. Also, AZ is in grad school and me and Ray are both engineers so we did not have an abundance of time in the weeks leading up to this event. The first two tournaments we held had identical fees as this past one for doubles and singles and had very similar percentages when calculating payout. From what we understood, everyone was happy with the system because no one voiced concerns (I'm glad you did MMX because it allows us to fix the system). However, since we received no complaints about payout from our first two events we figured "if it isnt broken, dont fix it" and let the same payout structure stand. Obviously, after this event, we will have to change the system and we appreciate the feedback everyone has provided on this thread regarding payout.

I'm not sure if i missed anything so if i did, please let me know and ill address those questions as quickly as i can.

Top Bottom