• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I've also been messing with GW's D-throw, tell me what you've got AZ2OMG so I don't research the same things you do!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Everything I got is everything I listed in my guide. I think. I merely want to research every guaranteed followup on every character in the game. And I don't think I'm even half done with that part. Should I finish researching that, I'm going to try to make a big chart of some sort that explains in detail each and every guaranteed followup G&W has.

The size of this project is comparable to some of the stuff that Magus420 has done. Look at Magus420's guide to techchasing fastfallers with Ganon in Melee for example.

At any rate, if by any chance you want to help me complete the list of followups, besides simple frame advantage numbers (which alone are helpful to know), I want to know which of the 13+ advantage characters you can U-tilt for not teching and whether or not turning around is required (might be stupid, it's something that only recently occurred to me). Then basically all I'm trying to do after that is seeing which characters G&W can techchase Judgement, F-smash (probably not necessary anymore), U-smash. Then I'm just trying to get frame windows for punishing techrolls in general.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
There are recent vids of gimr and vex in the VGBC youtube page:L, it's been a while since any recent G&W vids have been posted, ZAC.

good stuff against MVD,vex!
idk if u beat pikapika or not gimir cuz the vid was bad lol:<
gj tho

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
There are recent vids of gimr and vex in the VGBC youtube page:L, it's been a while since any recent G&W vids have been posted, ZAC.

gj tho
I lost to pika pika, last game. My performance wasn't good at all at this tournament. I was focused on the Melee recording setup the whole time. I didn't get to practice at all. I was literally whisked into the brawl room to play my matches and then rushed out when I was done. I didn't play nearly as good as I should have. I'm focusing on genesis 2 though. What's sad is. This is the highest I ever placed at a national, and I couldn't even play my best.

Here's a vid of me barely making it out of round 2 pools:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl_pYi5rGbQ#t=15m30s

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

gj tho
I didn't like Vex vs MVD. I thought that neither player really knew the matchup at all, and Vex simply won off generic better execution/reads and MVD just failing massively.

mustard g&w

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4639-9942-4908
I forgot that our old title had to do with turtles and that Hylian doesn't like them. I even thought about it before i put it down but couldn't remember if the old one had to do with turtles or not. :oneeye:

Exdeath

Smash Master
I lost to pika pika, last game. My performance wasn't good at all at this tournament. I was focused on the Melee recording setup the whole time. I didn't get to practice at all. I was literally whisked into the brawl room to play my matches and then rushed out when I was done. I didn't play nearly as good as I should have. I'm focusing on genesis 2 though. What's sad is. This is the highest I ever placed at a national, and I couldn't even play my best.

Here's a vid of me barely making it out of round 2 pools:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl_pYi5rGbQ#t=15m30s
Randomly getting a time out because Pictochat decreed it was hilarious.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I bad according to A2Z, don't bother!
I rarely take him seriously. Ever. There's good stuff from him occasionally, but usually not really.

*EDIT* Why does my sig only ever appear when it feels like? Sometimes I have the box for sig appearing unchecked, and it appears, others I have it checked and it doesn't. Weird.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I bad according to A2Z, don't bother!
Yes Vex your G&W sucks. Keep in mind it's not an insult from me. It's just a statement that you have significant and fairly obvious room to improve. The vast majority of players are bad or suck anyway, just it's sometimes more obvious in certain matches. You'll notice that I even summed it up nicely for you on youtube. More buffered fullhop F-airs. Pick better options from D-throw. Grab more against Snake.

Now MVD on the other hand, he played ABOMINABLY, and playing better than he did is something over half the random nobody Snake players probably could have done very easily. I cannot compliment his playstyle during his set against you at all, especially when I have friends who main Snake and actually know the matchup against G&W. I'm more or less enraged at how poorly he represented the matchup.

I don't grade matches on hype or who is playing them. I grade them based on how well options are utilized by both players, and your set against MVD objectively gets a failing grade here. It's really no better than the vast majority of low level matches you see on youtube, minus the fact that two players who think they know what they're doing just try to win off blind execution and generic reads.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Yes Vex your G&W sucks. Keep in mind it's not an insult from me. It's just a statement that you have significant and fairly obvious room to improve. The vast majority of players are bad or suck anyway, just it's sometimes more obvious in certain matches. You'll notice that I even summed it up nicely for you on youtube. More buffered fullhop F-airs. Pick better options from D-throw. Grab more against Snake.

Now MVD on the other hand, he played ABOMINABLY, and playing better than he did is something over half the random nobody Snake players probably could have done very easily. I cannot compliment his playstyle during his set against you at all, especially when I have friends who main Snake and actually know the matchup against G&W. I'm more or less enraged at how poorly he represented the matchup.

I don't grade matches on hype or who is playing them. I grade them based on how well options are utilized by both players, and your set against MVD objectively gets a failing grade here. It's really no better than the vast majority of low level matches you see on youtube, minus the fact that two players who think they know what they're doing just try to win off blind execution and generic reads.
Like I said, don't bother watching me play!

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I see no reason why vex would change his play style when he 2 stocked (and made rage quit) MVD. However game 1 was pretty awful. Don't know how you pulled that one off...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Like I said, don't bother watching me play!
You can do two things.

You could either be stubborn and close-lipped like you usually are and ignore an attempt to give you helpful advice. You probably could get away with it anyway, given how nobody cares that you do jack for the community anyway or let a lot of bull**** happen in your "high level play" matches (you vs M2K in low tiers is probably the best example).

Or you could be grateful for the fact that I actually care for high level play and have observations that are meant to help improve you as a tournament player.

I don't care if you and I haven't gotten along on this forum. I'm just telling you exactly what you can be doing to improve. And unfortunately MVD isn't here, given that he's actually the player who probably could benefit from critique more.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
You can do two things.

You could either be stubborn and close-lipped like you usually are and ignore an attempt to give you helpful advice. You probably could get away with it anyway, given how nobody cares that you do jack for the community anyway or let a lot of bull**** happen in your "high level play" matches (you vs M2K in low tiers is probably the best example).

Or you could be grateful for the fact that I actually care for high level play and have observations that are meant to help improve you as a tournament player.

I don't care if you and I haven't gotten along on this forum. I'm just telling you exactly what you can be doing to improve. And unfortunately MVD isn't here, given that he's actually the player who probably could benefit from critique more.
Oh, I read your advice, and I'm telling him what he should do, not watch me play, because I'm bad. I'm currently figuring some GnW stuff out atm, just practicing to see what works on what characters.

Don't know what your talking about me vs m2k for? lol

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
So Vex's GaW sucks? Uhhhhh what?

Consistently power ranked player, tons of tourney wins, basing this off of him 2 stocking MVD (who is NOT bad lmao and rly good, perhaps a tad unknowledged at the matchup who knows but still), etc etc etc I could go on forever. Vex is mos def a top 3 GaW and actually takes the time to practice and discover new techs and things about the character and such.

There is way too much salt in this thread

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
everyone else agrees that vex did just fine

it's just A2:L

and expect a several paragraph response now that u posted chibo lol

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Vex is good, he think's GW sucks. That's about it. i really do hope he becomes a GW brother again though. He's pretty bestly.

BTW you can tech chase mk left or right and d-air him into regrab. AWww yeah

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So Vex's GaW sucks? Uhhhhh what?

Consistently power ranked player, tons of tourney wins, basing this off of him 2 stocking MVD (who is NOT bad lmao and rly good, perhaps a tad unknowledged at the matchup who knows but still), etc etc etc I could go on forever. Vex is mos def a top 3 GaW and actually takes the time to practice and discover new techs and things about the character and such.

There is way too much salt in this thread
A tad underknowledged at the matchup is an understatement.

FOR BOTH PLAYERS mind you. Just watch the matches and notice the total lack of any real optimal choices on both sides.

Being a top ranked player and sucking is entirely possible. It doesn't have to be in consecutive sets. And for that matter, there is an extremely small number of players for Brawl who don't suck, so it's not unique or should even be considered an insult. It's just a fact, and people who say that Vex was amazing or otherwise in that set are just completely wrong. It was more about how MVD just completely and utterly failed that set.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Vex is good, he think's GW sucks. That's about it. i really do hope he becomes a GW brother again though. He's pretty bestly.

BTW you can tech chase mk left or right and d-air him into regrab. AWww yeah
I plan on it.

I'm starting to believe GnW maybe be viable again(like I used to think in 08, although he was top tier in 08 LOL)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't like Vex's G&W.

Doesn't say much considered I don't like most G&Ws :p
Pretty much sums up the way I feel in general about watching other G&W playstyles. Hell I don't even like my own playstyle that much yet...given I'm working out my execution in small areas.

Top Bottom