• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pictochat

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I feel bad for you Malcolm, maybe ill get it unbanned out here in new york, and you can come to our tourneys. Cus our TOs arent ginormous douchebags

Too bad. I am a very successful host regardless of what you say.

does anybody realise that inuis statement about being the best player in this thread is now complete BS?
and as far as im concerned, it was a flat out lie after the first post

Anybody that isn't some biased idiot like you realizes it's fact. Malcolm is just not on my level.

http://allisbrawl.com/medals.aspx?id=4424

All you must do is clear your mind of your silly bias and acknowledge reality. Come on little guy, it's not that hard.

I wish I had enough support down here in MD/VA to unban Pictochat, but the TO's (ChuDat, TheTantalus) are against it I think and I don't think its worth arguing with them if they are :ohwell:
Good. They are smart.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
No, I just think when a decision to allow a stage boils down to a level of bias rather than an intelligent, thoughtful rebuttal is just sad, not smart.
Luck can easily decide who wins instead of the players.

There is no logical reason to willingly add more luck into the game. You can't provide one.

A stage full of stupidity, but lesser stupidity, being legal is not an argument to unban Pictochat.

There is no reason to ever allow this stage.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i love boring stages. stages with stupid **** distracts me :D
Thats what makes it a good counterpick, guy.
Too bad. I am a very successful host regardless of what you say.

im glad you are smart enough to not dispute me on the fact that you are a ginormous douchebag.
Anybody that isn't some biased idiot like you realizes it's fact. Malcolm is just not on my level.

http://allisbrawl.com/medals.aspx?id=4424
screw malcolm, IM better than you.
All you must do is clear your mind of your silly bias and acknowledge reality. Come on little guy, it's not that hard.

1. im actually a good amount bigger than you. If you want to call me little in the context that you are much Wider than me, thats fine. Just make sure its more readily acknowledgable next time.

2. Thats very hypocritical of you to tell me to clear my head of bias, when your entire arguement for banning the stage, is that you are butthurt about it gaying you in the past cause you either didnt know the stage well enough, or just flat out werent good enough to avoid easily forseeable stage hazards.

Step your game up, guy.

Inui

Banned via Warnings

im glad you are smart enough to not dispute me on the fact that you are a ginormous douchebag.
:laugh:

screw malcolm, IM better than you.
What a joke.

Money match me at the next event we are together. Name your amount. I will not back down regardless of how high you go since I literally view it as free money. An unaccomplished player like yourself can't take down someone like me.

1. im actually a good amount bigger than you. If you want to call me little in the context that you are much Wider than me, thats fine. Just make sure its more readily acknowledgable next time.

2. Thats very hypocritical of you to tell me to clear my head of bias, when your entire arguement for banning the stage, is that you are butthurt about it gaying you in the past cause you either didnt know the stage well enough, or just flat out werent good enough to avoid easily forseeable stage hazards.

Step your game up, guy.
I was not referring to your physical size.

My entire argument has been presented many times. It's very simple.

There is no logical reason to willingly add more luck into the game. You can't provide one.

A stage full of stupidity, but lesser stupidity, being legal is not an argument to unban Pictochat.

Uncounterable reality. So bitter. So wonderful.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
My entire argument has been presented many times. It's very simple.

Luck can easily decide won wins instead of the players.

I would bet that based on your previous posts that Ive played on the stage more than you and anyone in this thread that agrees with you put together.

I can honestly truthfully say that I never been killed by the stage hazards on pictochat due to luck.

Ive been killed by the stage due to my opponent hitting me into it, which is no different from throwing somebody into the bomb on halberd. Ive been killed by the stage due to being scared of the hazards and not DIing or airdodging properly, which is no different than the first time any of us got hit by the laser on halberd.

But I can guarantee you that theres never been a circumstance where random luck made me die unavoidably on Pictochat. And if you are the class of player that you really say you are, than you should be able to do the same without a problem.

You remind me of the people that said MK's tornado was unbeatable back in the day, simply because they had 1-2 bad experiences with it and than blindly wrote it off as being broken. Whereas the truly skilled players took the time to investigate and analyse the move so that they could find ways to beat it and get around it. If you can do it for metaknight, you can do it for a perfectly legal stage.

Uncounterable reality. So bitter. So wonderful.
this part though, since it kind of applys more to my post than yours, I feel i have to agree with.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I would bet that based on your previous posts that Ive played on the stage more than you and anyone in this thread that agrees with you put together.

I can honestly truthfully say that I never been killed by the stage hazards on pictochat due to luck.

Ive been killed by the stage due to my opponent hitting me into it, which is no different from throwing somebody into the bomb on halberd. Ive been killed by the stage due to being scared of the hazards and not DIing or airdodging properly, which is no different than the first time any of us got hit by the laser on halberd.
If you are hit by your opponent, you should suffer only the penalty of being hit.

Pictochat can decide to make spikes or missles appear where you get it whenever it wants at RANDOM since you can't predict what will appear, and THOSE HAZARDS CAN DECIDE WHO WINS INSTEAD OF THE PLAYERS, and the player that hit you GOT MORE LUCKY THAN YOU AND WON BECAUSE OF IT.

But I can guarantee you that theres never been a circumstance where random luck made me die unavoidably on Pictochat. And if you are the class of player that you really say you are, than you should be able to do the same without a problem.
Nope. If I'm in the middle of hitstun, I don't have the power of God to control fate and just make it so spikes and missles don't appear and kill me. No amount of skill can just save you.

You remind me of the people that MK's tornado was unbeatable, simply because they had 1-2 bad experiences with it and than blindly wrote it off as being broken. Whereas the truly skilled players took the time to investigate and analyse the move so that they could find ways to beat it and get around it. If you can do it for metaknight, you can do it for a perfectly legal stage.
You have yet to counter this:

You are trying to say luck isn't involved in the stage, which is inherently wrong based on the stage itself. The appearances of the hazards are indeed totally random and luck can decide who wins.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
omg is this thread really still going on?!?!?!?!?!
how can ppl want pictochat?
it has missles flying everywhere...boxes to hold you in...random *** spike

right there that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to be a stage

Inui

Banned via Warnings
omg is this thread really still going on?!?!?!?!?!
how can ppl want pictochat?
it has missles flying everywhere...boxes to hold you in...random *** spike

right there that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to be a stage
People that want Pictochat legal fit into one or more of these categories:

-Want to willingly invite more luck into the game for whatever reason.
-Require a stupid luck-based stage like this in order to win.
-Main Sonic and/or Diddy Kong and are butthurt when people ban FD on them.
-Do not understand that competitive play should have the least amount of luck possible.

daisho

Smash Lord
I love pictochat so much but I realize Inui will not change his mind. That will not stop me from trying to pick it though.

I found the worst transformation imo. The one which has a huge slant blocks the edge so you can't recover. In about 5-10 matches today on Aib I cpd it every time i could so i probably played 4 or 5 times on it and twice someone was gimped by it (once me once my opponent)

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I found the worst transformation imo. The one which has a huge slant blocks the edge so you can't recover. In about 5-10 matches today on Aib I cpd it every time i could so i probably played 4 or 5 times on it and twice someone was gimped by it (once me once my opponent)
And you want this stage to be legal...why?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
*yawns* still allowing it at gaunlets and not allowing in viridian city.

Pictochat is as random to me cause I played it so much I know what each one of the hazzards do and playing I notice which one usually appears.

I can agree for people who do not play it it can seem random but for me I accept it.

daisho

Smash Lord
And you want this stage to be legal...why?
A) Slanted edges
B) Cargo throw
C) Down B
D) D tilt

Those are why its good for my character.

I have liked it since the game came out, I thought it was a cleverly created stage and since the **** is random it will probably affect characters equally. But really its fun to try and work around the obstacles the stage creates and still defeat your enemy.

Also its a stage with a high ceiling (not 100% sure on that but it seems high) so its an alternative to japes to take a character (which isn't legal in this region for good reason imo)

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Ok, so it's because your character can do gay stuff and isn't hurt as much by the hazards because he's extremely heavy.........

Yup, typical.

The stage is horrendous and unfit for competitive play.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
this is pretty cool to read a lot of this but for the most part my view is relatively unchanged and I understand why people do the things they do and the viewpoints ( besides bias bs ) are sound on both ends.

I'd like to add that I do not want the stage for its "randomness" but I feel that it should be a stage that helps with knowledge of it.

@Inui at the base of your statements ( you are blunt so I have to eliminate certain words that you say ) I 100% agree about making this game based on skill rather than luck. All the stages on VC are stages that if something does change it is CLEARLY visible or based on a certain order. Picto you have to guess about which one will come next unless you play that stage EXCESSIVELY.

For the sake of NY tournaments I hold with Wes Picto will still be on until I can further asset some other things and also to try out other stagelists in preparations for OOS tournaments.

NJ tournaments I will respectively leave the same since that is an area we both occupy and it is easier to just have it as is since Apex is ran there and I have not heard a complaint about it yet XD.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
People that want Pictochat legal fit into one or more of these categories:

-Want to willingly invite more luck into the game for whatever reason.
-Require a stupid luck-based stage like this in order to win.
-Main Sonic and/or Diddy Kong and are butthurt when people ban FD on them.
-Do not understand that competitive play should have the least amount of luck possible.
I should also note that neither Malcolm or me have mained Sonic for months now. :urg:

daisho

Smash Lord
Ok, so it's because your character can do gay stuff and isn't hurt as much by the hazards because he's extremely heavy.........

Yup, typical.

The stage is horrendous and unfit for competitive play.
Haha, what about diddy on FD? That's much gayer. Just because there is nothing there doesn't make the stage worse for him.

DK is big and gets hit by the hazards very easily. He also is very subject to death by slanted edge part of stage.

It is certainly not horrendous. It may be unfit for competitive play but that is only if you define anything random as bad for competitive play. You do define it that way and therefore you are right, this stage is bad.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Theres no reason to add more luck based things to the game. I agree with you on that. But the point that im debating is whether that fact that the transformations are random makes people lose due to luck.

While the transformations are random, based on the time, you know when they are going to come up and if you are observant you can tell what the potential hazards are and take measures to avoid them before they fully take shape.

Thus their are no lucky kills on PC, theres are only bad kid deaths that happen when you are either bad at the game, or inexperienced on the level.

EDIT, in addition to bio's post, i mained Mk at the last tourney I went to, thus PC would be a great CP against my character. So im effectively arguing for a stage that hurts me.

bobson

Smash Lord
Don't bother, KID. This exchange here is the culmination of the debate:
Instead, you have to explain why a small chance of getting knocked into a hazard if you happen to get hit within the 12 maximum seconds of the match when it's possible is stupid and unacceptable while randomly falling through the stage itself and dying is fine.
No, I don't. It will simply stay banned.
Inui's counterargument is "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" in more sophisticated-sounded phrasing and he is unfortunately skilled enough to have influence. Just be happy that there are other, rational TOs who are not scrubs.

M@v

Subarashii!
All I can say is if you want pictochat, go to midwest tourneys. Forget it on the EC.

I personally hate pictochat almost as much as mansion, so If I got involved with this thread, I would on inui's side.

But meh. I never allowed pictochat at any of my tourney before. The only "luck" stages that have been on the border have been ps2, norfair, and pirate ship, ps2 being the only one I allowed recently.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I should also note that neither Malcolm or me have mained Sonic for months now. :urg:
Malcolm uses something else ******** there, Wario. Who cares?

Theres no reason to add more luck based things to the game. I agree with you on that. But the point that im debating is whether that fact that the transformations are random makes people lose due to luck.

While the transformations are random, based on the time, you know when they are going to come up and if you are observant you can tell what the potential hazards are and take measures to avoid them before they fully take shape.

Thus their are no lucky kills on PC, theres are only bad kid deaths that happen when you are either bad at the game, or inexperienced on the level.

This logic is terrible. You are saying that players should be paying attention every 26 seconds for a transformation and then take another step by going into a safe zone before every transformation because a stage hazard can just kill them.

That is absurd. In the middle of a fight, nobody is thinking about that stuff, especially low class players like the ones arguing for this horrendous stage. If you are engaged in battle and in the process of recovering, a random line can appear and kill you. Walls can appear out of nowhere to create infinites. Spikes can appear in many places and outright kill you. Fireballs can just interrupt stuff. Missles can just appear and kill you. Oh, look, someone grabbed you and a missle LUCKILY appeared in front of them, giving them a free 25% on you or even a kill. LUCK. THAT IS NOT SKILL. WHAT PART OF THAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

The "don't get hit" argument is horrible.

Don't bother, KID. This exchange here is the culmination of the debate:

Inui's counterargument is "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" in more sophisticated-sounded phrasing and he is unfortunately skilled enough to have influence. Just be happy that there are other, rational TOs who are not scrubs.

Stop addressing me as if you are someone, insolent brat. You haven't outsmarted me at all. You have tried to argue that willingly adding luck to the game somehow makes sense. You ruined your own argument by proving the transformations are not predictable. Nobody has proven me wrong about lucking being able to decide who wins. I've seen it. I've experienced it. The facts of the stage prove luck can decide who wins on Pictochat more than on any other stage that is a contender for being legal.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Please Allow This Stage!!!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8472548#post8472548

Inui, are you kidding me? Whatever you argue, rainbow cruise is just as bad maybe worse. At least the terrain does not affect multiple character's recoveries on pictochat and give a massive advantage to those like DDD and mk on rainbow cruise. Minor random elements are one thing (which are fairly avoidable on that stage) in comparison to a stage PHYSICALLY removing valid character traits. I need this stage to compete in the future in grand finals and winners/losers. Give it a try for one tournament, and I will prove to you it will not possibly be as ridiculous as rainbow cruise. Do you know what the results would be if I did research and got a tally of how much people lose to stages like brinstar and rainbow cruise in comparison to pictochat because of how handicapped their main is on those very two stages? The tally would be heavily on the rc/brinstar side.

Do it because I'm adorable.

OatmealMonster12: alex
OatmealMonster12: you will never allow picto?
lightxdream: yes?
lightxdream: in nyc yea
OatmealMonster12: why not for one tournament
lightxdream: im not in the mood to hear inui's bs
OatmealMonster12: but do you honestly think
OatmealMonster12: it will alter the results
OatmealMonster12: do you FULLHEARTEDLY
OatmealMonster12: believe that
lightxdream: no
lightxdream: it wont

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Guess what?

Your character isn't as good as Meta Knight or Snake, and bending the rules to make it so he is isn't a reason to allow this terrible stage.

Inui, are you kidding me? Whatever you argue, rainbow cruise is just as bad maybe worse.
A legal stage being stupid, but still less stupid than Pictochat, is not a valid argument to unban this stage. I have stated this multiple times and nobody has presented logic to counter it.

By the way, I think Rainbow Cruise should be banned, but at least that stage has a pattern and you can see everything before it happens.

At least the terrain does not affect multiple character's recoveries on pictochat and give a massive advantage to those like DDD and mk on rainbow cruise. Minor random elements are one thing (which are fairly avoidable on that stage) in comparison to a stage PHYSICALLY removing valid character traits. I need this stage to compete in the future in grand finals and winners/losers. Give it a try for one tournament, and I will prove to you it will not possibly be as ridiculous as rainbow cruise. Do you know what the results would be if I did research and got a tally of how much people lose to stages like brinstar and rainbow cruise in comparison to pictochat because of how handicapped their main is on those very two stages? The tally would be heavily on the rc/brinstar side.
I'm not going to cater to a specific character.

What you have proven with this entire post is that Rainbow Cruise should be banned, not that Pictochat should be legal, since you have not countered anything about luck deciding the outcome of matches on Pictochat being a strong possibility (because that fact can't be countered, because it's a fact).

Do it because I'm adorable.
Unfortunately, you being cute is not good enough.

OatmealMonster12: alex
OatmealMonster12: but do you honestly think
OatmealMonster12: it will alter the results
OatmealMonster12: do you FULLHEARTEDLY
OatmealMonster12: believe that
lightxdream: no
lightxdream: it wont
YOU just argued that it would alter results in your character's favor, and you want to present an argument saying it wouldn't alter results at all (from someone that isn't even a mid level player yet) as something to strengthen your point?

Pictochat is not an unbalanced stage. Allowing the stage willingly invites more luck into the game and the stage itself can decide who wins very easily. That is not something a legal stage should be able to do.

ADHD

Smash Hero

Any questions?
You don't even play this game competitively anymore, are you coming back? So why would it matter at all to you? Plus you're metaknight, you would never have this problem. I presented my reason for wanting the stage, now how is that wrong?

bobson

Smash Lord
Stop addressing me as if you are someone, insolent brat. You haven't outsmarted me at all. You have tried to argue that willingly adding luck to the game somehow makes sense. You ruined your own argument by proving the transformations are not predictable. Nobody has proven me wrong about lucking being able to decide who wins. I've seen it. I've experienced it. The facts of the stage prove luck can decide who wins on Pictochat more than on any other stage that is a contender for being legal.
You have made absolutely no argument that Pictochat is by any means worse than other "non-stupid" stages which are just as much or more luck-reliant than it (I've been hit far more by the claw on Halberd than anything on Pictochat because it sets the opponent up to have me in hitstun when the claw comes out far more obviously than Pictochat) and you outright ignored the post where I proved that the maximum possible truly luck-reliant outcome on Pictochat is entirely negligible at best, running back to your argument of "any luck at all is not tolerable," which, if you truly believed, would lead to you banning Delfino, Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Yoshi's Island, etc. etc.

On top of this, your entire premise is flawed: we are "willingly adding luck to the game" by keeping Pictochat in so much as we are "willingly adding an unbalanced character to the game" by not banning Metaknight. We are not adding anything, but instead observing that the game contains an acceptable amount of luck-reliance and to banish it entirely would be to play a game that is not Brawl.

You want to ban Pictochat because you don't like it, and nothing more.

Inui is a windbag with no argument; don't let him bully you into a scrubby ban.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
RedAxelRanger (8:53:50 PM): melee community wants no cp stages, brawl community wants luck based one
RedAxelRanger (8:53:57 PM): smashers = brilliant
Sesshomaru010101 (9:15:01 PM): roflmao!
You have made absolutely no argument that Pictochat is by any means worse than other "non-stupid" stages which are just as much or more luck-reliant than it (I've been hit far more by the claw on Halberd than anything on Pictochat because it sets the opponent up to have me in hitstun when the claw comes out far more obviously than Pictochat) and you outright ignored the post where I proved that the maximum possible truly luck-reliant outcome on Pictochat is entirely negligible at best, running back to your argument of "any luck at all is not tolerable," which, if you truly believed, would lead to you banning Delfino, Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Yoshi's Island, etc. etc.

Tsk tsk, you still don't understand...

Halberd's claw and bomb are extremely obvious. You can see them coming. Sorry, but there are almost no CGs or anything of the sort that will last the whole time that thing is circling around or the other stupid thing is flying at you. You see it all there, and you can avoid it.

Pictochat doesn't grant you any type of foresight. The transformations just happen, and there is no way to know which one it will be. The transformation can decide the outcome of the match.

I truly believe anything involving luck shouldn't be in the game. However, I can't enforce bans on such stages or characters and it would upset too many people. Banning Pictochat is actually preferred in this region. Banning a less stupid stage would not be. I can't just say "these stages are banned because some luck exists" and just go with it. I am not a tyrant, despite what you may think. Pictochat is far worse than the other stages you mentioned because there is no method of predicting the transformations and they can be game-deciding. The spikes exceed the claw in strength by a large amount and do much more damage. That line can kill you at 0%, which nothing on Halberd can do.

On top of this, your entire premise is flawed: we are "willingly adding luck to the game" by keeping Pictochat in so much as we are "willingly adding an unbalanced character to the game" by not banning Metaknight. We are not adding anything, but instead observing that the game contains an acceptable amount of luck-reliance and to banish it entirely would be to play a game that is not Brawl.

Ah, a pro-ban player! That helps explain the complete lack of sense and logic! You have just tried to say that having luck is somehow acceptable. That is not competitive. It is stupid.

Allowing Pictochat does willingly invite more luck into tournament sets. You can't deny that. It is a fact. Where is the logic to support such an action? Another stage being stupid is not a valid argument. Peach having random bombs is not an argument. Those are less controllable. We can just keep Pictochat banned and there's less luck.

You want to ban Pictochat because you don't like it, and nothing more.
Luck shouldn't be willingly invited into the game.

Inui is a windbag with no argument; don't let him bully you into a scrubby ban.
bobson is a complete random with no credentials that wants more luck in the game; don't let him trick you into allowing a scrubby stage.

i think inui is dillusional sometimes. doesnt really know what hes saying
I think you're unintelligent all of the time. I have provided extremely valid, completely uncounterable points.

WILLINGLY INVITING MORE LUCK INTO THE GAME IS RIDICULOUSLY STUPID.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Ugh.

I am done addressing pro-banners, people that WANT more luck into the game and think Pictochat isn't awful, etc.

The stage is staying banned. End of story. The decision rests with me, not you. Hah!

ADHD

Smash Hero
We will get alex strife to allow it at his tournaments since he realizes it's not green greens.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I really don't think anybody has mentioned this but the cloud transformation that blows the wind is just my reason that Picto should be banned. In this transformation the player nearest to the right side of the transformation pretty much has **** stage positioning on whoever is on his left. And could easily equal massive amounts of damage and/or death. This also goes against the point that the safe zone is on the left, because if you are on the left and your opponent is on the right when the cloud shows up... Guess what? You're screwed

But I'm a nobody so carry on

bobson

Smash Lord
LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU
This is, what, the fifth time you've entirely ignored my argument but somehow convinced yourself that you refuted it? Sixth? You can't even parse my sentences correctly; I'm anti-ban.

The transformations on Pictochat can decide the outcome of a match, yes. So can the stage layouts on Delfino Plaza (good luck with that dual-walkoff). So can the ghost on Yoshi's Island. So can so many other things that are luck-based that we allow which are the same (or a higher!) degree of effectiveness and randomness as Pictochat. This has been my argument throughout the entire thread and you stating that this is untrue does not make it untrue.

Bothering with you is a tiresome chore and pointless aggravation when I could merely enjoy the fact that the TOs around here are not scrubs and laugh at the prospect of always having the advantage when I counterpick Pictochat on your players because you are. I will state my argument a final time in the hopes that someone reasonable (read: not you) might read it and consider it when deciding whether or not to ban Pictochat:

All of Pictochat's hazards can be avoided on reaction. Only 6 out of 27 are damaging, and only 3 out of those 6 can kill. In an average match, your chance of seeing 1 of these 6 is a little less than half. There is a safety zone where none of the hazards spawn for the paranoid/bad at dodging which gets progressively larger as you see more hazards, as none of the transformations repeat until the whole cycle has gone through. There is an absolute maximum possible of 12 seconds in a match where you might be knocked into a hazard before you can get out of hitstun if you happen to get hit in one of the specific 2-second intervals it comes in. The transformations last exactly 13 seconds and spawn exactly 13 seconds apart, giving attentive players a further advantage. All of this combined makes the luck-reliance and the effect of luck on the match outcome on this stage very negligible, moreso than legal stages such as Delfino Plaza where you can fall through the stage randomly without any warning whenever the stage moves. The stage does not reward camping effectively enough for it to be a more reliable strategy on Pictochat than it would be on any other stage, and there is no dominant strategy that outweighs everything else on the stage.
Pictochat should not be banned.

On the wind transformation, you have about an 8% chance of seeing that transformation in an average match, and the position advantage you gain from being on the right side is matchup-dependent and not nearly as powerful an advantage as some of the transformations on Delfino would be. It's certainly not a reason to ban a stage.

Top Bottom