• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
I've searched everywhere i could think of on these forums and couldn't find what 'buffering' a grab was.

I'm sure it has the most simple answer, so i'll feel a bit stupid once i know, haha.

gallax

Smash Hero
buffering a grab is where you press the grab button before you are actually able to grab. by doing this pika will grab automatically at the first possible moment.

@klo..............PIKA IS NOT A RAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

squirrel is the appropriate term.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
stealth, your bottom sig pic/gif thing doesn't work
It works for me. o.o

I'm sorry. He's a rat. At best, a squirrelrat.

But he's not a squirrel.

inb4"butanthersayshe'sasquirrel"b/cidon'tcarewhatanthersays

Jupz

Smash Master
What are some of pikachus good stages?

I like Jungle Japes and Yoshi's Island Melee, as well as the neutrals. On those levels he can zip around too well :p

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
buffering a grab is where you press the grab button before you are actually able to grab. by doing this pika will grab automatically at the first possible moment.

He's not a squirrel either, he's a wild mouse. :D

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
hes a squirrel not cause of what anther says but because of what we believe. so believe or gtfo <3
Lol, and yet every time we've argued about this before, that's the first thing you bring up. <3

Anyway, he's a rat. You can believe what you want. :)

Anther

Smash Champion
EFF that **** kaylo he's a squirrel get your *** whupped coming in here with that rat malarkey liek that!!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Stealth, change your avatar. It's ugly.
Geez, Prime. Tell him how you really feel. :laugh:

EFF that **** kaylo he's a squirrel get your *** whupped coming in here with that rat malarkey liek that!!
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Comin' in my ****in thread spoutin that bull**** out your ***, you better recognize before I bust yo *** next time I see you!!!

NOW. GET @ ME. :mad:

In conclusion, Pika is still a rat.

Anther

Smash Champion
Umm excuse me but me being ugly don't mean it's an *** it's my mouth coming at me with that ignorant stuff! I'll show you rat when yo squirrelfriends don't come out to help you and you getting yourself curbstomped into a sewer, that'll be rats right there when you gettin pooped on by ur own ****!

Regards,
Anther

ps. Squirrels may be rodents, but a rodent isn't always a rat.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Umm excuse me but me being ugly don't mean it's an *** it's my mouth coming at me with that ignorant stuff! I'll show you rat when yo squirrelfriends don't come out to help you and you getting yourself curbstomped into a sewer, that'll be rats right there when you gettin pooped on by ur own ****!

Regards,
Anther

Uh uh, booboo, I KNOW you did NOT just say that **** to me!! Curbstomped?! Go back to the forest wit your nuts & berries and maybe I'll let you & your squirrel *****es live, cause otherwise we gonna rise from that **** sewer and **** aaaaall yo **** up! You can't keep a rat down!!!

We got 1000000 volts of electricity for you ***** b/c WE are TRU PIKAS b/c PIKA is a RAT.

See me @ Apex, son. :mad:

Respectfully,
KayLo!

P.S. Perhaps we might agree to disagree?

Okay, lemme stop before I get an infraction.... XD

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You guys are all wrong, pikachu is a leprichaun, taking the shape of whatever you want him to be.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Geez, Prime. Tell him how you really feel. :laugh:

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Comin' in my ****in thread spoutin that bull**** out your ***, you better recognize before I bust yo *** next time I see you!!!

NOW. GET @ ME. :mad:

In conclusion, Pika is still a rat.

Regards,
Anther

Uh uh, booboo, I KNOW you did NOT just say that **** to me!! Curbstomped?! Go back to the forest wit your nuts & berries and maybe I'll let you & your squirrel *****es live, cause otherwise we gonna rise from that **** sewer and **** aaaaall yo **** up! You can't keep a rat down!!!

We got 1000000 volts of electricity for you ***** b/c WE are TRU PIKAS b/c PIKA is a RAT.

See me @ Apex, son. :mad:

Respectfully,
KayLo!

P.S. Perhaps we might agree to disagree?

Okay, lemme stop before I get an infraction.... XD
this entire series is win. also anther is right.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
wow personally those two you just mentioned are among my least favorite. yi screws with my qac and that blasted ceiling on japes ***** my thunder kills.

EDIT: ah yi melee. i dont play on that stage enough.

Jupz

Smash Master
wow personally those two you just mentioned are among my least favorite. yi screws with my qac and that blasted ceiling on japes ***** my thunder kills.

EDIT: ah yi melee. i dont play on that stage enough.

:p
Japes isn't that bad for Pika imo, except against Falco. He can shoot around under the level and from ledge to ledge really well. He camp camp platforms with thunder jolts. You can wavebounce thunders to stop them from getting back if they fall in the water.

on Yoshi's island melee you can camp either slope cause it screws up others projectiles. if you QAC down the slope its actually really useful and you can do an aerial without having to jump or you can do a Tjolt. It just looks like your sliding even though your in the air.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
For me... I'd choose somewhen without slopes... cuz although his d-throw doesn't cg pika, slants can mess up your techs and DDD can finish with dash attack or techchase easier.

I find that platforms are good as long as the stage is normal (Not delfino) and the platforms are low, but that's just my style of play. T-jolts will hit DDD on ground and when the t-jolt moves around the platform above DDD. Like on BF, I try to pummel d3's amazing shield (no mo' shield grabs) as much as possible then do SH f-airs until i grab him or get a combo goin. Um... get to a stage where its safe for you to QA (no sweetspot no cancel) onto the stage cuz i find that D3's b-air chains tend to lock out ppl trying for the edge. I pika's do weird dangerous landing lagged QA's that land deep in the middle of the stage, D3's will have to fly backwards to get you. You'll most likely be able to maneuver by the time he get's to you. Just watch out for b-air.

Hope that helps...

Note* purely from my experiences... all tactics and approaches in this post are up to your disgression.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Best levels overall to take DDD are smashville and Final Destination. Our CG is best on flat slopes where DDD has no platforms to run on. Platforms can make DDD harder to fight because if you try to approach him he can jump and dair through the platform, most likely hitting pikachu or at least keeping you away. Yes platforms help comboes, but you can combo DDD well enough without platforms so it really doesn't matter. DDD will probably ban SV or FD against you, so CP the other one if you can. Other than those 2 stages, another good stage IMO would be Castle Siege since you can CG him off the level on the 2nd transformation and when it is actually transforming.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Best levels overall to take DDD are smashville and Final Destination. Our CG is best on flat slopes where DDD has no platforms to run on. Platforms can make DDD harder to fight because if you try to approach him he can jump and dair through the platform, most likely hitting pikachu or at least keeping you away. Yes platforms help comboes, but you can combo DDD well enough without platforms so it really doesn't matter. DDD will probably ban SV or FD against you, so CP the other one if you can. Other than those 2 stages, another good stage IMO would be Castle Siege since you can CG him off the level on the 2nd transformation and when it is actually transforming.
For me... I'd choose somewhen without slopes... cuz although his d-throw doesn't cg pika, slants can mess up your techs and DDD can finish with dash attack or techchase easier.

I find that platforms are good as long as the stage is normal (Not delfino) and the platforms are low, but that's just my style of play. T-jolts will hit DDD on ground and when the t-jolt moves around the platform above DDD. Like on BF, I try to pummel d3's amazing shield (no mo' shield grabs) as much as possible then do SH f-airs until i grab him or get a combo goin. Um... get to a stage where its safe for you to QA (no sweetspot no cancel) onto the stage cuz i find that D3's b-air chains tend to lock out ppl trying for the edge. I pika's do weird dangerous landing lagged QA's that land deep in the middle of the stage, D3's will have to fly backwards to get you. You'll most likely be able to maneuver by the time he get's to you. Just watch out for b-air.

Hope that helps...

Note* purely from my experiences... all tactics and approaches in this post are up to your disgression.
k thanks for the help guys. I really need Pika for D3 cuz i main DK and we all know what happens with Dk vs D3 lol.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Hey guys... just a quick question... I just feel somewhat happy rite now *as pointless as it is really* that i got first place finally. so my question is...:

1) These vid's are of grand finals of NC billfest for the state seedings. I won on some of em so it wouldn't really be a critique vid... or would it?

2) If it is not critique... then where can I post (if i can post it somewhere cuz i feelz happy <(^.^<))?
3) I wanna post a vid ppl can enjoy watching, rather than showing off what happened... any way/thread i can post this in?

Thanks for the help.

gallax

Smash Hero
this thread is epic win right now.

pika=squirrel

DDD- play himm on levels with flat surfaces. i like red halberd, but so does DDD. other than that go FD and smashville.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
All right, here's a question for you guys that's been giving me a lot of grief lately.... not Pikachu-related, but oh well, help me anyway plz. <3

Who should I play to counter Marth?

Right now I use: Pikachu (main), Zelda (best secondary), Marth (secondary who sporadically does really well, and he's fun, so I'm gonna actually put work into him now), and Yoshi (for low tiers/fun).

- I tried picking up Snake to counter Marth (see sig....), but he's too fat and feels really awkward for me. Basically, I suck with him.

- Tried DDD, and mine's sort of okay -- DDD isn't really that hard to learn -- but he's so boring to play. x.x

- I refuse to play MK.

- I haven't tried DK recently, but I used to play him a while ago and ran into the same problem as with Snake.

- I used to second ROB, but he got boring.... same reason as DDD really, except he camps laser/gyro instead of waddles/grabs/bair.

- ZSS has too much of an issue with killing for me to adjust to.... and I don't want to invest that much time into a character for just one matchup.

Are there any other characters that have a halfway decent chance against Marth that I could try, or am I basically limited to the above?

I love the Pika vs. Marth matchup.... it's really fun, but in a tournament, I wouldn't risk getting my butt whooped just because it's fun. I don't care what some of y'all say, Marth is a ***** for Pika to fight. It's not easy if Marth knows what he's doing.

Also, in the case of Marth dittos, I usually feel that a Marth main would do better than a Marth secondary. And Marth dittos are.... weird. And not fun.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The best bet would be MK and DK. DK doesn't really need that much time invested if you are only going to do that one matchup, and it actually works very well.

Zylar

Smash Ace
I don't want to change the subject but...

Anther and the rest of yall know not what you're speaking of.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl Pikachu Trophy said:
A Mouse Pokémon. Its lightning-bolt tail and round cheeks are its trademarks. When danger draws near, it uses tiny electric pouches within its cheeks to discharge electricity. When it's really fired up, it unleashes thunderbolts on its rivals. It's said to recharge when it's sleeping. It evolves into Raichu.
Even your own game of brawl denies any talk of squirrel. Talk squirrels all you want but it won't change the trophy or the pokedex. :p

10pikamouses

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Anther and the rest of yall know not what you're speaking of.
I see an MK icon next to your name.....

Opinion auto-invalidated. :mad:

The best bet would be MK and DK. DK doesn't really need that much time invested if you are only going to do that one matchup, and it actually works very well.
I... would rather eat my foot than play MK.

There are really no other characters that do sort of okay vs. Marth? I play Toon Link kind of..... I could probably learn him decently well. But I feel like he doesn't do well either.

I'll try DK again, but I'd like a few other suggestions from people..... if they exist.

Top Bottom