• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Hi, ummmm, so my quick question is....

Ive seen anther cancel his down air somehow into a downtilt, forward smash etc.

How can i cancel the down air? Is it similar to ganons down air cancel and falcons down air cancel?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah its similar to ganon's. If you do it fast enough it will auto-cancel and have no landing lag (basically what auto-cancel means). After that you can do whatever. I do it in my matches which you can watch at http://www.youtube.com/imESAM

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I thought so, thanks Esam. I was trying to do it yesterday but i couldnt do it.

Im trying to jump then quickly press down on the c stick. I dont know if theres a faster way that you would recommend?

Im trying to pick up Pikachu again, after dropping him since the release of Brawl i decided to start using him again.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
One more question for anyone that can help.

Ive noticed Anther use up air when hit off stage. Is this the best way to momentum cancel?

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
the way I do shdair so that it auto cancels and doesn't do the extra damage/stun on the ground, is without the cstick, as long as you're rising when you press down a you won't fast fall, and that works for me, i can do it with the cstick too, but its harder for me to go from x(jump) to c-down than from x to a.

and yeah uair is amazing cuz its fast, but I'm not sure what you meant into side-b pika pika

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I got it thanks guys.

Yea piman i meant for momentum canceling is it best to use up air followed by a side b?

But i read through some of the guides that you guys have and i learned a handful.

I didnt even know about the down tilt slide, i guess i havent used pika in so long new things have been discovered.

Thanks again everyone.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
well i get that, but if you use uair to stop ur momentum and regain control of ur char, why do you need to side b? that's what I didn't understand lol

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
the way I do shdair so that it auto cancels and doesn't do the extra damage/stun on the ground, is without the cstick, as long as you're rising when you press down a you won't fast fall, and that works for me, i can do it with the cstick too, but its harder for me to go from x(jump) to c-down than from x to a.

and yeah uair is amazing cuz its fast, but I'm not sure what you meant into side-b pika pika
PikaPika is right..... after uair, Skull Bash is what actually cancels your momentum. Uair is what gives you control of your momentum back.

Jmex, another method you might try that I use is setting L to jump. It's weird, and a lot of people can't get used to it, but it makes SH'd lagless dairs a lot easier because you can tap L and hit down on the c-stick at the same time, similar to having tap jump on. Granted, it works better if you've taken the springs out of your controller.

L for jump is also useful for performing aerials out of QAC and rising aerials, imo, but maybe I'm just used to having my controls set this way.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ Ill give that a thought, its weird, my dad being left handed and my mom being right handed, makes me shield with both L and R at random times during a match.

But i still have to text this out, since i was only messing around with it for a min at a tourney yesterday.

Once again thanks everyone for answering.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The Skull bash (forward B) cancels your momentum similar to G&W's bucket and DK's up-b. However, it adds a little bit of vertical momentum, so if you are hit upwards it is best to uair and fastfall (most people just dair because it automatically fastfalls)

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
i have no springs in my brawl controller klo, any other cool suggestions to try out with out them?

and so you're saying always use skullbash after uair to cancel momentum? or only when you need to to not die, otherwise just uair?

edit:esam -di-ing up to go the corner if you get hit left/right would dair be better, or uair then fast fall since one comes out faster and lasts less frames?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
If you just want to regain control of pikachu fastest, uair. If you want to live when hit horizontally, DI to the corner, uair, and skull bash. When you want to live hit up, the best is uair and fastfall, but most people just dair since it automatically fastfalls. THe optimal thing for anything is to uair + fastfall (if you go horizontally you need to skullbash too) Fastfalling reduces your knockback SIGNIFICANTLY, so it helps if you need to survive.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
You should mess around with using the control stick to do sh. It takes a little while to get used, but I think it is worth it.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
If you just want to regain control of pikachu fastest, uair. If you want to live when hit horizontally, DI to the corner, uair, and skull bash. When you want to live hit up, the best is uair and fastfall, but most people just dair since it automatically fastfalls. THe optimal thing for anything is to uair + fastfall (if you go horizontally you need to skullbash too) Fastfalling reduces your knockback SIGNIFICANTLY, so it helps if you need to survive.
is this an always situation?where you di to corner and uair +skullbash? or like, if you know you won't die, and possibly won't be far enough out that using skullbash won't set you up for getting punished, would it be better to use an aerial like fair instead after uair? or do only b moves cancel momentum? I'll try fastfalling...and I'm guessing you can only fast fall after you uair(dair) to regain control right?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
i have no springs in my brawl controller klo, any other cool suggestions to try out with out them?
I've tried out... so much stuff with my controller settings, lol. L for jump was the only thing that seemed practical to me. Powershielding also feels easier with no springs if you take a bit of time to learn the timing of different attacks/projectiles.

I had weird issues with short hopping aerials for a while because I guess my fingers are slow, or maybe my hands are just smaller than most guys'. (Dunno why that would make a difference, but maybe it does.) I would either full hop or hit the c-stick too late, so I said "f this, I need a new jump button"..... and since I only use R for shield, I picked L. The springs coming out came later and just made it much easier.

Also, if someone's too lazy to make their own tag in tourney and picks yours, they screw themselves over if they try to shield with L. So funny. :laugh:

You should mess around with using the control stick to do sh. It takes a little while to get used, but I think it is worth it.
Tap jump is a**. :mad: Jk. I'm just bitter because I tried for a while to get used to it and never really felt comfortable with it.

@Piman, you fastfall while you uair, not after. Dair auto-fastfalls, so you don't have to worry about doing it.

Don't Skull Bash if you know you won't die. Just fastfall uair in those cases, because Skull Bash is very punishable if you're too close to the stage.

For Pikachu, only Skull Bash cancels momentum in a good way when he's being sent off-stage. Dunno if it's only b moves for other characters, but that seems to be the case. Some b moves will give you unfriendly momentum, though..... like for Zelda, if she tries to use down b (transform) to momentum cancel, she goes flying off the stage.

You should watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njcYW0rFmUg
This one's also good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo

Second one is mainly about DI. The first one goes a lot more into momentum canceling.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
haha okay I'll see what I can do for messin around with stuff...it just gets confusing after awhile, but powershielding is much easier with no springs for sure...since there is no light shielding, it makes more sense too...However if I use that one for melee, i can't wavedash for crap it throws me off alot haha

so fastfall during uair huh? i'll give it a shot...also, yeah thats what I thought about not using skullbash unless i know i wont get punished...although i used it to recover a bit this past weekend at the tournament I was at, and I got several kills cuz people expected me to sweetspot and were charging attacks or waiting or whatever, and then i thought I would too (sweetspot) but I missed and then killed them lol. Lulz ftw haha

That di video was helpful thank you...I guess my problem in both games is that I don't react quick enough to di properly, which I guess just comes with practice. Thanks :)

also a question: I did really well against marth this weekend, assuming cuz no one knows pikachu lol, but I had alot of trouble with mk. any strats that arent on the matchup? Also Link regular not toon gave me trouble with his ability to outspam me...

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
So ive mastered the down air auto cancel thing in about 20 min. With Tap jump off mind you :)

I want to learn how to do that sliding thing with Pikachu.

You down tilt and then what do you do? I cant find the thread on here where i read it. Can comeone just link it to me or just tell me what to do? THanks alot.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
well you do d-tilt and move backwards while the d-tilt comes to a finish. Also, you may add a c-stick backwards at a certain point in time when the d-tilt is out to move backwards a lot more.

cHiCkEN_TeNdErS

Smash Apprentice
I recently picked up pika as a secondary and possible new main.
I have most of the ATs down, but for some reason I am unable to buffer grab.

so my question is, when exactly during the animation am I able to input the buffer?
Ive read that a good time is when pika is in a ball falling to the ground near the end of the grab...
and Ive also read that another time to hit it is when he is falling to the ground while still holding the other character...

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
the way i do it is have sound on, then go against a cpu falco, f-throw twice, and then start d-throwing...and if you're doing it right, you won't hear the sound pika makes when he re-grabs, the click or whatever, if you buffer it, its silent, and all you should hear is the d-throw of them hitting the ground...basically, the timing is for me right after he slams them on the ground, as they are coming back up from the bounce

edit: jmex: yeah if you just hold back after dtilt, it will make you walk in the opposite direction pretty good distance. but you can also use it to dtilt one direction and say, fsmash the opposite direction, it will scoot you backwards which can be spacing mindgames

cHiCkEN_TeNdErS

Smash Apprentice
the way i do it is have sound on, then go against a cpu falco, f-throw twice, and then start d-throwing...and if you're doing it right, you won't hear the sound pika makes when he re-grabs, the click or whatever, if you buffer it, its silent, and all you should hear is the d-throw of them hitting the ground...basically, the timing is for me right after he slams them on the ground, as they are coming back up from the bounce
thanks man I will try it out...

any other advice/tips?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Cool thanks Legendary and Piman.

Ill try those out tonight. I also have to try the down throw on Falco, because as Chicken Tenders said, im also having trouble regrabbing the Falco.

****, i want some Chicken Tenders now, lol.

Top Bottom