• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
awesome kaylo just invalidated an argument for her. oh well. pika is a squirrel, the world is trying to lie to you! even the makers of pokemon got it wrong!
That's because I don't need any argument.... because Pika's not a squirrel.

Anyway, how about you answer my question?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
i think honestly u should just stick to pika and find ways around it. Makes u a better player other than just goin straight for a CP. IF any specific issues, just ask and i can help out. I kno marth in and out.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
i think honestly u should just stick to pika and find ways around it. Makes u a better player other than just goin straight for a CP. IF any specific issues, just ask and i can help out. I kno marth in and out.
While this is somewhat true, if I can't beat a certain Marth player, I'd feel more comfortable having a secondary that has a better matchup vs. him.

I don't particularly have trouble with Marth (there are other matchups I'm much worse at), but I haven't played any great Marths.... and the fact is that he's Pika's worst matchup. There will probably be a time when I lose the first match to a Marth with Pika and think, "D***, I wish I had someone else to pick."

It's more about having better options than anything..... which is the point of CPing. I can beat Marth with Pika, but if there are other characters that do better vs. him that I can learn reasonably well, I'd rather take the easier route.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Understandable. Thing is, Marth only has 3 bad matchups, being MK, Snake and D3. I like ROB vs Marth but in that matchup u have to kno what ur doin otherwise ur gonna get *****. Ppl say dk but Marth still has the advantage. Marth can zone DK and that = GGs.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Understandable. Thing is, Marth only has 3 bad matchups, being MK, Snake and D3. I like ROB vs Marth but in that matchup u have to kno what ur doin otherwise ur gonna get *****. Ppl say dk but Marth still has the advantage. Marth can zone DK and that = GGs.
Even or close to even is still better than 35:65. Mind you, I don't really go by numbers, but the fact is that a good Marth can pretty much shut down almost everything Pika has. You can't even camp him that effectively if he camps you back with fairs.

I would probably go Pika first against a Marth in tourney, but if I lost that match, I have nobody else, and this is a problem unique to the Marth MU for me.

Among Pika's bad matchups:

vs. MK, Pika does better than most characters anyway, and he's still imo easier than Marth.... plus he's so common, I'm sure I'll get all the matchup experience I need
vs. ROB, I have Zelda and now Marth for backup
vs. G&W, I usually don't have much of a problem with them anyway, but I have Marth as a backup
vs. Falco, same as above, plus Zelda has a slight advantage as well

I just need a backup for Marth, basically, that does better than Pika does. I'm going to try Snake & DK again -- thank you ESAM for the suggestion -- but if anyone else can help me out, I'd still appreciate any extra input.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
well practice them. Hard to CP marth with chars u dont practice much. Marth of course isnt a push over.........unless the player is lol

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I don't.... think it's unreasonable to want a better backup for my main's hardest matchup. o.O

gallax

Smash Hero
i would definately have to agree with esam on this one. go Dk if you really want a counter. normally i would say no to something like this, but since you are only learning one matchup then go for it. i dont think people should.

im in a similar baot as Klo. i have problems fighting ROB. ZOM~B comes down to FL for the gigs tourney and he has an awesome ROB. i main pika and snake. i second marth but idk about tourney viable(although i have won a few matches with him). any suggestions? if anything i think i would rather learn the snake vs. ROB matchup.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
i would definately have to agree with esam on this one. go Dk if you really want a counter. normally i would say no to something like this, but since you are only learning one matchup then go for it. i dont think people should.
You don't think people should what? :confused:

Also, thanks. I'm definitely going to at least try DK.

im in a similar baot as Klo. i have problems fighting ROB. ZOM~B comes down to FL for the gigs tourney and he has an awesome ROB. i main pika and snake. i second marth but idk about tourney viable(although i have won a few matches with him). any suggestions? if anything i think i would rather learn the snake vs. ROB matchup.
You said you've been playing Zelda lately, right? Try her. She does pretty well vs. ROB.... I usually do equally well between using Pika and using Zelda, but since my Pika >>> my Zelda, that probably means Zelda has an easier time. XD

It definitely feels like it'll be easier once my Zelda is better. ROB is fodder for lightning kicks and usmash, and since he tends to camp from a distance, Naryu's works well for reflecting his **** despite its massive cooldown.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Just stick with Pika! Counter picking is only good if you know how to use that character really well. An experienced Pika will do better than an inexperienced DK or whatever the hell counter picks Marth.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Just stick with Pika! Counter picking is only good if you know how to use that character really well. An experienced Pika will do better than an inexperienced DK or whatever the hell counter picks Marth.
That's not always true. And who's to say how good or bad my DK (or whoever I pick) would be? I know at least one good Marth player, so I won't lack the practice.

My goal is just to have another option. Like I said, I'd likely go Pika first round.... but if I can have a backup that I know the matchup with, why would I go Pika again in the event of a loss when I can potentially give myself an easier time?

For every other matchup I have trouble with or that is a disadvantage for Pika, I have another character I can play who might give me a better chance or a more advantageous matchup. Marth is the only character I don't have this for, so I'm trying to cover that hole in my game.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace

For every other matchup I have trouble with or that is a disadvantage for Pika, I have another character I can play who might give me a better chance or a more advantageous matchup. Marth is the only character I don't have this for, so I'm trying to cover that hole in my game.
Believe in yourself! You can do it.

Honest answer for me, I feel that:

1) MK is always an option
2) Frigate orpheon is always an option
3) Go pika anyways with faith and you'll beat 'em. *worst case scenario if you lose, you'll learn more of the marth matchup and beat all marths from then on* :D

We're rooting!

Edit: I posted vids of me vs. marth on high voltage.... tis okay but it could give you some ideas. I find that spaced grounded t-jolts are harder to swat by f-airs.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
staying with pika is so true. i use lucario maybe not at as high of a level as my pikachu, but its still pretty good. even though he is 10 points better in matchup against marth then pika, i still do a little better with pika.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
For people saying that it is difficult to win with DK if you don't know him, i have a fact. I got nearly 2 stocked every time i played a marth in SFL, chaz. I picked up DK, and in 3 weeks i was getting him to last hit.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, maybe you just aren't good at picking up a secondary, Stealth.... =X

Popertop

Smash Champion
honestly, your best bet is probably D3, but y'know.

I would say pick your strongest secondary out of Snake, DK, or D3, and then just practice the **** out of the matchup.

but really, this sounds more like you have bad habits/matchup trouble more than anything else.
I recommend just learning everything you can about the matchup, especially edgeguarding.
If you get good at edgeguarding, then you can build lots of percent off the edge, as well as even get gimps, and that's what you need to do to Marth to beat him.

@ Ninjalink:
Dk can outspace Marth. It comes down to the player.

I also like the Rob v Marth Matchup, lol. He's my secondary against him now lol.

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
i use a campy snake as a marth counter.... it does feel awkward at first, especially in the air... and especially compared to pikachu, but he feels alot better once you get a hang of him. he also gets alot more fun!

but other then that i dont know who would counter marth,

zomg just checked the marth boards, wolf is a 50-50 matchup apparently, you tried him? hes not as cumbersome as snake, or dk, or d3, and is not a hard character to pick up to be completely honest...

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
honestly, your best bet is probably D3, but y'know.

I would say pick your strongest secondary out of Snake, DK, or D3, and then just practice the **** out of the matchup.

but really, this sounds more like you have bad habits/matchup trouble more than anything else.
I recommend just learning everything you can about the matchup, especially edgeguarding.
If you get good at edgeguarding, then you can build lots of percent off the edge, as well as even get gimps, and that's what you need to do to Marth to beat him.

@ Ninjalink:
Dk can outspace Marth. It comes down to the player.

I also like the Rob v Marth Matchup, lol. He's my secondary against him now lol.
U would think he does, but DK extends his hurt box. Marth doesnt.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I don't really have trouble with the matchup, but like I said, I haven't played any really outstanding Marths. I just want to have my butt covered in case one comes along that I have trouble with using Pika.....

Options, people, I just want options! I've beaten plenty of Marths with Pika.

With that said, thanks for the added suggestions, everyone. :)! I'm gonna try/re-try all of these characters and see who feels best.

gallax

Smash Hero
chaz is freaking awesome with marth. i wouldn't try pika with him. im a go snake on marths. although i did play a marth at gigs last month..went pika...and won!!!!!

i think i will see what i can do with zelda. any tricks that i should be aware of?

PikaPika!

Smash Ace
I'm just being honest, in fact why bother seconding MK, just pick him up for your main because he has maybe 1 bad MU? Then just use pikachu for funsies.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
*shrug*

sounds like theory fighter now to me. :p

it all comes down to the powershield I think
Theory fighter who wins? yea ok. I done the matchup before a good amount of times from both sides. I've done ALOT of matchups being i play random all the time.

*shrug*

Popertop

Smash Champion
lol gg kbai

doesn't mean you're right.

so since marth has disjoints, he beats DK?
disjointed spacing isn't everything in the matchup.

I think whoever spaces better wins.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Hello Pikachu mains! I use Pikachu for fun because it's cute and fun to play as (I'd use Pikachu in tournaments too except I suck with Pikachu:(). Anyway, on to my question.

I like Pikachu's Bair. As a result, I want to incorporate it into my game as much as possible (remember I play Pikachu for fun). So here's my question: Is Bair OoS any good?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Hello Pikachu mains! I use Pikachu for fun because it's cute and fun to play as (I'd use Pikachu in tournaments too except I suck with Pikachu:(). Anyway, on to my question.

I like Pikachu's Bair. As a result, I want to incorporate it into my game as much as possible (remember I play Pikachu for fun). So here's my question: Is Bair OoS any good?
Bair OoS works for me. It has some weird range to it. Also ppl tend to let go of there shield too soon so it hits them.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
lol gg kbai
That was pointless..... :confused:

OoS? I'm going to disagree with NL and say not really. It works, but nair and dair are better options: nair if the opponent is close.... SH'd dair if their attack pushed you out of nair's range. Bair has some significant lag on the end of it unless you full hop it, so it's hard to follow up on, and they can DI out of it.

Bair..... is a fun attack, but it doesn't really have much solid use for Pika. You can RAR a FH'd bair as an unconventional approach, or you can use it as a combo ender in place of nair or fair if they DI far-ish away after utilt/dthrow (it has more range than people think and sucks people towards the center of Pika's body).

It's also good for when someone's above you on a platform.... if you know which way they're going to try to DI out of it, you can follow them with bair's weird-a** trajectory and drag them in pretty much any direction you want.

It also stage spikes/gimps if you use it off the edge, but that's a risky trick.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i say it depends on his positioning. if he is close to you nair is better. if they are ata distance, you can use the weird trajectory and good priority to quickly close in while in the air. the bair has an initial backwards push, so make sure you face away when doing it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
i say it depends on his positioning. if he is close to you nair is better. if they are ata distance, you can use the weird trajectory and good priority to quickly close in while in the air. the bair has an initial backwards push, so make sure you face away when doing it.
How far away are we talkin'? In most cases, I still think dair is a better choice because you don't have any lag upon landing, allowing you to follow up/chase them right after.

With bair, if you full hop it, you'll end up above their head unless they're hella big/tall (assuming they're "at a distance"). If you don't full hop it, you get the landing lag, which.... I dunno. I guess it's not the end of the world since bair's knockback is pretty good (assuming they didn't DI out of it or that all hits landed before you hit the ground), but you lose the ability to chase and follow up.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the theoretical situation you're using it in.....

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
as long as you full hop it, its golden, its also good recoverying/ inputting a move to get control back if they chase you off stage, for me anyway

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
high up and out of dair range.
Gotcha. Makes much more sense now.

as long as you full hop it, its golden, its also good recoverying/ inputting a move to get control back if they chase you off stage, for me anyway
o.O Recovery move? That's something I've never seen before.

I hope you don't mean you use bair for momentum canceling, lol.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Thats what i meant Kaylo. Bair reachs a bit farther. Of course if hes near i'll uair or bair depending on what im goin after either a combo or knockout move. Bair is a 'get off me' move. Its also usually a WTF moment for ur opponent. It also depends on what char ur facing as well to decide a move.

Top Bottom