• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I figure it is.

I must say, the roster is OK save for the third party characters. They did a terrible job picking them and only went for ones related to the last 3 years. They even picked the version of Dante that NO ONE LIKES. Not to mention there are too many third party characters. Otherwise, it's not awful, but they didn't really try and pull from the company's history.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I must say, the roster is OK save for the third party characters. They did a terrible job picking them and only went for ones related to the last 3 years. They even picked the version of Dante that NO ONE LIKES. Not to mention there are too many third party characters. Otherwise, it's not awful, but they didn't really try and pull from the company's history.
Agreed.

Also going to bet that normal Dante will be released as a paid DLC costume, kinda like how we got reboot Spencer over classic Spencer in MvC3.

Not ALL of the characters have been leaked.
Hopefully.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Normal Dante could just be an alternate costume. I bet characters that go far back enough will have costumes reflecting their appearances throughout history. Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, etc. Crash and Spyro are going to be major selling points. Without them, many people (including myself) just won't care enough to buy this game.

Because:

What distinguishes one angry bald guy from the other? I don't know who those characters are. They are completely unremarkable. Also, who's the Gerudo chick?

Edit: Just realized Activision owns both Spyro and Crash now. That's kinda awesome. I hope they have smart plans for the two.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What distinguishes one angry bald guy from the other? I don't know who those characters are. They are completely unremarkable. Also, who's the Gerudo chick?
It's Cole from Infamous. In the game, you can choose a good path or evil path, each one having a different set of powers. So apparently, you can play as both Coles in this game.

The "Gerudo" chick is Nariko from Heavenly Sword.

I must say, the roster is OK save for the third party characters. They did a terrible job picking them and only went for ones related to the last 3 years.
Only went for ones related to the last 3 years? Huh...I guess I missed Nariko, who is a character from 2006. Toro...I don't even know how long it's been since he was in a game. Parappa The Rapper. Heiachi has been around for ages. Spike from Ape Escape is an oldy. Sir Daniel is another oldy. Ratchet has been around going back to the PS2 days. Same with Jak and Daxter.

Are some of these characters still relevant? Sure. But a lot of these characters carry a lot of history with them. Even if they are third party, they carry more "Sony" history than any other console.

You don't go "Heiachi...Tekken...Xbox." You go, "Heiachi...Tekken...Playstation"

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Spike being in the game? JOYGASM!

this also confirms 2 things: Sir Dan was the character Superbot was talking about ha a bigger fanbase then expected, and Nariko IS the T-body.

Evil Cole I actually expected as DLC, so it's not that big a surprise to me.

andif Raiden is in, then waht does David Hayter/Snake do? make a cameo in his ending?

the only big question left: what are the 3 mystery spots?

allin all, I love this roster so far.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Only went for ones related to the last 3 years? Huh...I guess I missed Nariko, who is a character from 2006. Toro...I don't even know how long it's been since he was in a game. Parappa The Rapper. Heiachi has been around for ages. Spike from Ape Escape is an oldy. Sir Daniel is another oldy. Ratchet has been around going back to the PS2 days. Same with Jak and Daxter.

Are some of these characters still relevant? Sure. But a lot of these characters carry a lot of history with them. Even if they are third party, they carry more "Sony" history than any other console.

You don't go "Heiachi...Tekken...Xbox." You go, "Heiachi...Tekken...Playstation"
I was only talking about the third parties actually. Heiachi is older, though they are using his newest look. Raiden is only in because he is getting a new game, same for Dante.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
All I'm really interested from this game is the gameplay. The roster is pretty weak, if you ask me (but that's mainly because I'm not a fan of Sony IP's).

The only one who I was excited to hear about from was Dante! Until it was confirmed it was the Ninja Theory version... -_-

...so.... I guess Heihachi is the only character I somewhat care about. And Parappa the Rapper because I knew him from old gaming magazines.

Still. I hope there's more on the way.

EDIT: Also glad Noriko is in, even though I haven't played HS.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I got a bunch of things to say about the leak:

Minions were also leaked too, from what I understand they're basically character specific Assist Trophies, with one for each character.

Sir Daniel is pretty sweet, but Spike is so much more exciting.

Dudes, guys, they said it would have 25 characters, and this only adds up to 20. Cross your fingers and pray.

Also dat Loco Roco stage.

We could also totally get a Naked Raiden skin.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
All I'm really interested from this game is the gameplay. The roster is pretty weak, if you ask me (but that's mainly because I'm not a fan of Sony IP's).
Same here. Played the heck out of Rumble Arena back before I got a Gamecube, it was my substitute for Smash.

The only character I really care about is Jak, was the only Sony IP that I ever really got into or have fond memories of. I do own Infamous and Little Big Planet thanks to the PSN crisis the other year, but I have yet to actually start up and play them, if they weren't free I probably wouldn't have gotten them. Sir Daniel looks kinda interesting, never heard of his series though.

The 3rd parties are meh at best, nothing really mind blowing.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Lil' late to the party, but whatever....um Nariko, Ratchet are cool,

Umm don't see why the new Dante is getting as much hate as he is, we all know they are trying to advertise the new game & that Old Dante is probably either a DLC costume or a regular costume change.

Raiden is cool, we all know Snake is an unlockable, I doubt all the characters leaked, just like all the leak stages aren't all of them.

Kinda worried why there has been no hint to Crash, Spyro, or any square characters, by now leaked or not we should have atleast gotten a hint to them, like Ratchet & Clank's stage & Capt.Qwark being in gameplay let you know he was in the game, which he is, but no leaks or gameplay hints to any Crash, Spyro, or FF characters/Sora, a little worried, but they may be very hidden or DLC (Oh God no). Seeing non of them turned me away from the game, even though they still very well may be in there.

The stages look beautiful so far, not like the previously released mixed stages that look fun, but very sloppy.

Anyway, the guy next to Cole is specualted to be Nathan Hale....hmm *shrug* as for Spike & Sir Michael, their cool, I guess, haven't played their games before....

OH SACKBOY YES YES YES, The kirby of this game, hopefully he can change into a variation of each character like Kirby & use some of their powers, wonder how they will pull that off without biting Nintendo.

KRATOSACKBOY FOR PREZ

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The original leaker said both Crash and Spyro were denied......****ing Activision. I don't care about Crash but Spyro was my jam.

Apparently there are Sack version of every character. Maybe him being the Kirby of the game isn't too far off

Bionichute

Smash Champion
The original leaker said both Crash and Spyro were denied......****ing Activision. I don't care about Crash but Spyro was my jam.
How would he know? Does he work for Superbot? I can understand someone finding characters and stages in a Beta, but something that personal would only be known by the people at Superbot.

I think he's lying out his ***.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
How would he know? Does he work for Superbot? I can understand someone finding characters and stages in a Beta, but something that personal would only be known by the people at Superbot.

I think he's lying out his ***.
Paul Gale (network) has nothing to do with SuperBot, but he released the very first Information of Playstation All-Stars, the name, a test photo of Sweet Tooth before they even announced they were even doing the game, so for someone to know something & not be apart of the company isn't too far fetched

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Paul Gale (network) has nothing to do with SuperBot, but he released the very first Information of Playstation All-Stars, the name, a test photo of Sweet Tooth before they even announced they were even doing the game, so for someone to know something & not be apart of the company isn't too far fetched
Yeah, but Paul Gate is a news network, and this is some random guy on the internet. Paul Gate also said James Bond was going to be in it so yeah.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
seriously I hope this leak is fake I like most of the characters but evil cole is a wasted slot and I rather have the ape escape monkey then spike which is another human character

Bionichute

Smash Champion
seriously I hope this leak is fake I like most of the characters but evil cole is a wasted slot and I rather have the ape escape monkey then spike which is another human character
While I think that Evil Cole would be better as a different character, it's an interesting idea. Spike is a better choice because he can do stuff that the monkeys can't. The monkeys were never known for using the large variety of items the main characters have.

we also totally have more Non-Human characters than Human ones too.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
While I think that Evil Cole would be better as a different character, it's an interesting idea. Spike is a better choice because he can do stuff that the monkeys can't. The monkeys were never known for using the large variety of items the main characters have.

we also totally have more Non-Human characters than Human ones too.

well hopefully evil cole was scrapped, there are way more characters they could focus on then 2 of the same characters

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
To be fair, I did mix up people. The reddit leaker did not say that Crash and Spyro were not in. That was TheMink, a poster on Neogaf who claimed to have a source and has been throwing info about the game since earlier this month. Including that Sackboy, Nariko, DmC Dante, Spike, Ratchet & Clank, MGR Raiden, Lightning, Sir Dan....and Evil Cole. He then confirmed no Spyro or Crash.

It's pretty set in stone

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I won't be surprised when a rep says that Dante and Raiden aren't meant for the new games specifically, but as reps for the Devil May Cry and Metal Gear series, and if they have new games it just kills two birds with one stone to include them.

Half-***** PR justification ftw

finalark

SNORLAX
Still crossing my fingers for Robbit or Spyro <3
You have no idea. I'm already interested in this game with the presence of Ratchet, Sly and Jak but I'd be sold on Spyro. Assuming they went with something similar to his PS1 era look.

I really want HD remakes of the original Spyro Trillogy.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
a poster on Neogaf
Remember that he's still some random dude on the internet and he can make **** up.

EDIT: Found this awesome interview from Paul Gate. It's got a lot of interesting info in it, but the best is the character hints:
- Two female characters
- A character that wields a sword
- Two popular first party characters
- One 3rd party hero that has a strong affiliation with the PlayStation brand.
- A character whose development origin comes from a Japanese studio.
- Another PlayStation “mascot”
- Another PlayStation “human”
- A character who has been in an RPG

He also confirms that Ratchet and Clank are in the game.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Remember that he's still some random dude on the internet and he can make **** up.
-NeoGAF is the strictest message board to post on. Any sign of trolling, fake news, etc. results in an immediate permaban.

-Ever heard of Lupinko? Just a random guy posting on NeoGAF leaking information left and right about Capcom's fighters. All of it being spot-on.

-TheMink was spot-on with this leak. It's not unheard of for somebody to live in goddamn California and know somebody that is working on the game. It's also not hard to understand that SuperBot is comprised of amateurish game developers who couldn't give a crap about posting as an anonymous person on the internet and getting a rise out of leaking game assets. Hell, Sweet Tooth's "point-and-laugh" model was tweeted by one of the devs late 2011 and he even hinted that the "Michael" commercial was a foreshadowing to this game's existence/roster.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
so to update the 4 pictures Paul Gale leaked beck with this info, I got this:

pic 1:Evil Cole. in fromt of a bar and grill at night,reflecting darkness/evil. car is red, representing his NapalmPowers from Infamous 2.

pic 2:Cole. Same Bar and grillin the day, day being light/good. cars are yellow and silver, representing his lightining and Ice powers.

pic 3: still unknown. all we know is that it is connected to the American flag.

pic4: Raiden. LA LE LU LI LO was the message of the Patriots, who made thire first appearance in MGS2-the game where you played as Raiden. Revengence is to tell the tale of when Raiden started his war against them before the events of MGS4.

also 1 more thing to note:

notice how the first row is layed out? it's all 3rd Party, with 2 blank spots.this could be a hint that There are 2 more 3d party characters going in the game.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
This was leaked from the beta you know guys..the game is not exactly fully complete

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
so to update the 4 pictures Paul Gale leaked beck with this info, I got this:

pic 1:Evil Cole. in fromt of a bar and grill at night,reflecting darkness/evil. car is red, representing his NapalmPowers from Infamous 2.

pic 2:Cole. Same Bar and grillin the day, day being light/good. cars are yellow and silver, representing his lightining and Ice powers.

pic 3: still unknown. all we know is that it is connected to the American flag.

pic4: Raiden. LA LE LU LI LO was the message of the Patriots, who made thire first appearance in MGS2-the game where you played as Raiden. Revengence is to tell the tale of when Raiden started his war against them before the events of MGS4.

also 1 more thing to note:

notice how the first row is layed out? it's all 3rd Party, with 2 blank spots.this could be a hint that There are 2 more 3d party characters going in the game.
The two 3rd party characters are Big Daddy and Lightning.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I have been given an opportunity to interview Omar Kendall and can ask about 10 questions. Is there anything you want to ask? Keep in mind, I'm not going to ask anything that's going to be an obvious "no comment". But I am asking multiple communities if they have any questions. I have about 5-6 of my own, but I wanted to give others a chance to get outstanding questions answered.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I have been given an opportunity to interview Omar Kendall and can ask about 10 questions. Is there anything you want to ask? Keep in mind, I'm not going to ask anything that's going to be an obvious "no comment". But I am asking multiple communities if they have any questions. I have about 5-6 of my own, but I wanted to give others a chance to get outstanding questions answered.
Why is Activision so ******* greedy? :troll:

To be honest, I don't know what to ask since there's a beta out and a lot leaked info.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Here's a couple Q's, pick any you may like

* You recently showed off a small teaser of the PSABR containing Heihachi & Toro, what were some of the diffuculties of pulling a story together with these different & diverse characters?

(kind of a no comment question) *Care to comment on or share any thoughts of the recent "leaks" all across the internet ?

*Any projects/titles you may or are currently working on, that we get info on (maybe a name, synopsis...etc)?

*Any Ideas or mechanics that you wanted to incorporate in the game (PSABR) but due to time or any other elements were incapable of including?

*Can we expect a sequel in the future?

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
Has anyone ever played that Cartoon Network Game that also seems to be a SSB Clone? I ask this because the gameplay was very VERY stiff and the controls weren't very responsive and i fear that this game may in turn, follow suit.

Top Bottom