• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
There not on the pending list so there/it's very likely (unless we missed it...) already been claimed.

What I would do is check the pending list and then, if it's there, wait patiently for someone to finish it. If it isn't then you COULD check the members pages and look at there claimer or currently working on lists to see if your request is there. If it's not you can bring it up and we'll add it to the pending list.

-:bowser:Bowser King

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Just saw your sprites MK, this...

Is amazing, So amazing in fact that I named a slaking Wario just after seeing this XD.

Light however... Looking at it again, its amazing, just too much red! Is she angry or something? XD

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hey guys, it's Meta-Kirby.
I don't have any sprites to show today, but I'd really like to share a....very intriguing experience that happened over the past couple of hours/days.
I thought it would be an interesting idea to post the video over at Serebii for some thoughts. The community at Serebii is very very competitive, even with spriting, so....I didn't exactly know what to expect.
Turns out it wasn't such a good idea after all.
After bearing harsh criticism from some cynically rude spriters at Serebii, I have decided to discontinue spriting at Serebii forever.
This miserable experience has also taught me something very important.
The Smash World Forums spriting community is wonderful. I love you guys, really. I appreciate that everyone is so sincere in thanking us for requests and giving us nice words about our requests. You don't know how nice this is to hear.
Through this same process, I realized that it doesn't feel good to be criticized so harshly for producing your hardest-made work. I've recently and not-so-recently been harsh when giving criticism, and for doing so, I am ashamed. I sincerely apologize to all that I have demeaned and/or berated. From now on, I, Meta-Kirby, Kenneth Ross Hamilton, will never intentionally be rude when criticizing sprites and/or I will have only the best intentions when giving advice.

Thank you, Smash World Forums.
Thank you, Custom Pokemon Shop crew....thank you....

~Meta-Kirby
This is slightly delayed, but I so second this. I also saw the thread, it was ridiculous. They gave harsh criticism, not just on sprites but on the movie and how much of an apparent "snore-fest" it was. And no one even bothered to stick up against the moron telling us this, because apparently she was only a LITTLE harsh and it was necessary criticism anyways. Bunch of ***holes there, I'm telling you. The only nice thing they had to say was that Entangel was good because of the scratching.
Shows how much they know, since it didn't involve scratching. Fail.

I won't even link you guys, it filled me with an AWFUL feeling to read them. And the rules over there are strict too, they have rules about Social Groups besides just keeping the content appropriate. On Serebii, our Fan Club would not be allowed, since it's just for general discussion.

tl;dr: Serebii sucks.

It's made me appreciate SWF, and all of you here, so much more.

I mean.....pudding really tastes fantastic.

Thanks, Morphed, I appreciate it =D
Nice job posting about the tourney here MK, GAWSH. Spammer.

M.K

Level 55

Introducing: Wobbunoir!

Introducing: Vulursa!

Introducing: Tentagigas!

Introducing: Pupigon!

Introducing: Pikachu - Centipede Form!

Introducing: The Prinplup Penguin!

Introducing: Inferzong!

Introducing: Blastigatr!

Introducing: Armaltyl!

Introducing: "&" Unown (Which looks different for a reason)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
AWESOME job, MK. You finished off all of the Claimed List and all of them look amazing.

Togekiss/Cresselia is complete, MysticKenji.

LOTS of scratching on this one, doesn't look all that great, but...despite the harshness of the critique they gave, the people on Serebii were kind of right, so I'm going to try scratching more.

It's not great...but it's better than Cresselotic, at least.

Wrath`

Smash Master

Well crafted, the color scheem is flawless

This sprite is awesome, it's funny too.

I think the reason it looks difrent is due to the fact you forgot the upper portion of the stick on the right side (if that makes sense, it's hard to explain) &, but it looks good.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
AWESOME job, MK. You finished off all of the Claimed List and all of them look amazing.

Togekiss/Cresselia is complete, MysticKenji.

LOTS of scratching on this one, doesn't look all that great, but...despite the harshness of the critique they gave, the people on Serebii were kind of right, so I'm going to try scratching more.

It's not great...but it's better than Cresselotic, at least.
I like it actually.
Thanks. ^_^

M.K

Level 55
I liked that sprite, Meta-Kirby, but I kind of wanted a disgusting looking one with a long body.
Then you should have specified that in the original request.
I don't go back and change sprites after they are completed.
Therefore, just as a reminder to everyone, if you have a "vision" in mind, be sure to specify it.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
So.... Serabi is falling into the grasp of power and greed? Ugh, my job is never done...

Nice Crissy fusion there Firus. The face is hard for me to see though, its a fusion of Crissy and Togekiss, right?

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry about Serebii guys. (;

We Marrilanders have hated them ever since day, and they're forums are extremely laggy. D:

Now back to the topic...

Nice Cress/Togekiss fusion, it looks like you scratched the bottom ring. That looks great imo!

~Request~

A Pokemon trainer sprite of myself. I have a couple specifications. I want the trainer to look like me, so I want him to have long, straight, blonde hair, be sort of tall (about the size of an adult Pokemon trainer), have him be wearing a white t shirt with the Earthbound logo in red on the front, light brown shorts (no pockets, just plain khaki shorts), and white/black shoes. I want him to be holding a cell phone in his right hand. Not the typical antenna flip-phone, but preferably a BlackBerry. Have him laughing as well. has his face kinda be like this: ^_^, except his eye's should be more curved up like an arc. I also want his mouth to be open, like this face: =D

...I'm sorry if this request is too hard, and if it is, go ahead and don't do it. If you can do it, thanks-a-million. (=

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Don't worry about Serebii guys. (;

We Marrilanders have hated them ever since day, and they're forums are extremely laggy. D:
Gah, speaking of that, I was in the chat one day and someone was saying how they had previously asked someone named "Marriland" if he was the guy from the site. He got kicked for saying "Marriland". In the discussion of him getting kicked, one of the ops said "Yeah, we don't discuss that site here." I can understand not ADVERTISING, but not even discussing it is just kind of vindictive and "We're too cool for our competitors"-ish.

Nice Cress/Togekiss fusion, it looks like you scratched the bottom ring. That looks great imo!
Yep! I scratched the head, yellow stripe on the body, and parts of the bottom rings. Wasn't easy, but I think I'm improving.

~Request~

A Pokemon trainer sprite of myself. I have a couple specifications. I want the trainer to look like me, so I want him to have long, straight, blonde hair, be sort of tall (about the size of an adult Pokemon trainer), have him be wearing a white t shirt with the Earthbound logo in red on the front, light brown shorts (no pockets, just plain khaki shorts), and white/black shoes. I want him to be holding a cell phone in his right hand. Not the typical antenna flip-phone, but preferably a BlackBerry. Have him laughing as well. I don't care which position he's in, just don't do anything weird, such as that Tower Tycoon guy or Barry. o_o

...I'm sorry if this request is too hard, and if it is, go ahead and don't do it. If you can do it, thanks-a-million. (=
Nope, shouldn't be too hard. It's a little intense, but that's okay.

And, new rule guys:

The Rules said:
Don't complain if a sprite you request doesn't look the way you imagined; you can give us specific details, which will actually make the overall time taken shorter, and get exactly (or at least close to) what you want.
This has happened in a few situations, and I understand WHY you guys do it, but to be honest it's a little depressing to put out a sprite and have someone point out that they wanted it done in a different style than the spriter may have gone with it. Hopefully,this rule will encourage you to specify things that you want, if you have something specific you want.

D

Deleted member

If you posted something and you're not ready for the criticism, you probably shouldn't be using the internet as a medium of expression.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If you posted something and you're not ready for the criticism, you probably shouldn't be using the internet as a medium of expression.
There's a difference between criticism and harsh flaming and total disregard for the work that went into something.
I suppose you're right that the internet isn't a place to expect nice things, but even when people express dislike for a sprite here they're a lot nicer. The one time I've had a sprite pretty harshly criticized, when it actually deserved it for being quite lazy (Girapuff), the criticism wasn't even that harsh. Whereas people on Serebii are just mean and vicious, and are more concerned with a sprite being as artistically advanced as possible than simply looking nice.

Anyways, did you see that I did my version of your Umbreon repose?

I couldn't choose between the two palettes, so I kept a version of both.

zrky

Smash Lol'd

I couldn't choose between the two palettes, so I kept a version of both.
The second one looks like it was waxed, polished, and yeah...so I like the second one.

Sorry I haven't been very active, but my godparents are visiting, and I still have those huge biology projects ive been working on, so this next week you might see more sprites from me since school will be slowing down for the last week:)

Mewter

Smash Master

Introducing: Abomaturne!
Cool, MK. I like the outlines you always put around your sprites. They make them look even more awesome
(Apparently Serebii doesn't think so, though!)
.:)
Oh, and Firus, I like your Umbreon, too. Looks better than the in-game ones.

I finished LordoftheMorning's fusion, by the way:

One version with claws for fingers, and one with just fingers... I think the first one looks more natural.
As well as a devamp to first generation:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Tis ah complex mannerism of teh art, meiseur Xace.

Mwa.
I'm pretty sure he's trying to politely tell you that he doesn't like the white outline. I know I don't, and I know if I requested a sprite that I wouldn't want it.

Maybe you should consider not adding it, eh?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't know, I personally think it adds a nice touch to the sprite. Especially in this case, it's sort of an icy aura.

And, if someone doesn't want something on their sprite, they sort of have to request it...I mean, you can't ask for a hamburger and then complain because there's lettuce on it. You have to ask for it that way when you order it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't know, I personally think it adds a nice touch to the sprite. Especially in this case, it's sort of an icy aura.

And, if someone doesn't want something on their sprite, they sort of have to request it...I mean, you can't ask for a hamburger and then complain because there's lettuce on it. You have to ask for it that way when you order it.
So with MK, we have to ask to not have outlining, when it's simply easier to make a sprite without it in the first place? I say that if you want the outline, you ask for it. You pay more for extra toppings, and the outline is definitely extra.

MK, I'd suggest so that you have a library of congruent, non-flashy sprites that you create them without the outline, but make it clear that if the requester wants it, they can ask for it. Or, just produce two versions, one with, and one without.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure he's trying to politely tell you that he doesn't like the white outline. I know I don't, and I know if I requested a sprite that I wouldn't want it.

Actually, I'm just curious as to why it was added.

But than again, curiousity killed the Xace.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So with MK, we have to ask to not have outlining, when it's simply easier to make a sprite without it in the first place? I say that if you want the outline, you ask for it. You pay more for extra toppings, and the outline is definitely extra.

MK, I'd suggest so that you have a library of congruent, non-flashy sprites that you create them without the outline, but make it clear that if the requester wants it, they can ask for it. Or, just produce two versions, one with, and one without.
As far as I'm concerned, each individual member's style is the "regular hamburger". Asking someone to work outside of how they normally do is the "extra toppings".

From my perspective, the outline is MK's prerogative. Our goal is to please our requesters, but if he feels that the outlines finish off some sprites, I wouldn't want him to be unhappy with his work.

That said, I will not debate further on the matter until MK responds. If he's fine with removing them, I don't want to argue vehemently for keeping them, I just feel that if it were me, I would want to work in my own style normally.

M.K

Level 55

I don't care what you or anybody thinks of my outline, I personally like it, so I added it.
I'm going to do whatever I want to my sprites, and I really don't care if the requester gets exactly what he or she wants, because there are about 123,210 other requests I have to do as well in one night.

No. That's a stupid idea that only constitutes more work for me.

Top Bottom