• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Spire

III
BRoomer
My only concern is that it makes the sprite look like a sticker, slapped on the SWF page. Sometimes, the natural sprite border works and blends well with the solid background of SWF. If it doesn't, then pasting it on a white box could work just as effectively (as if saving it as a jpeg).

Look MK, from an artist's perspective, I feel that the border doesn't do the beautiful sprite any justice, because it detracts from the details as the eye gravitates towards the flashy white outline. I want yours, and everyone's work to be seen for all its worth, and frankly, adding that border not only fattens up the sprite by creating the illusion that its limbs, etc are wider than they should be, but adds an unnatural light under and around the shaded areas, hence the "sticker effect".

Again, I'm simply trying to help so that your sprites can be seen for all the hard work given to filling in the actual Pokemon, rather than its border.

Take care guys.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Just a simple ~request~ :

Can you change the hat so that it is slightly lower, black, with a white headbandish thing and a ribbon attached?
Here's an image for reference: Renko
Or was there already a spin-off request in the past 2 weeks?

Also, Gimp --> copy paste sprite onto background --> Select the border's color --> Bucket tool --> Fill similar colors --> click background --> Magic wand Fuzzy Select + Threshold 0 --> Select Background --> Delete
--> Layer --> Transparency --> Add Alpha Channel --> Image --> Autocrop image
=

I'm inclined to say this sort of looks better. Please don't hurt me.

Mewter

Smash Master
Sure, it does look like a sticker, but that's what makes it special. It also makes it look like part of a set of sprites, if they all have the same border-lights. It's a like a sprite collection, kind of. In the case of this sprite, it adds an icy sheen-type effect to the sprite, although, it is a bit distracting, MK. I have to go with Spire on that one.
That's just my four hay-pennies, though.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Sure, it does look like a sticker, but that's what makes it special. It also makes it look like part of a set of sprites, if they all have the same border-lights. It's a like a sprite collection, kind of. In the case of this sprite, it adds an icy sheen-type effect to the sprite, although, it is a bit distracting, MK. I have to go with Spire on that one.
That's just my four hay-pennies, though.
A true icy sheen would be difficult to drawing, as it would require reflecting light just as ice would off of the actual Pokemon, which would require very strategically placed highlights and color alterations.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
My opinion: It works on some and it doesn't on others. I love it on certain sprites (which is the case for most of MK's outlined sprites) but on sprites that don't need the outline it looks like it was tacked on.

Just my opinion, don't take offense to it either side of the argument.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hey, I just made this for any and all of you to use. You have my permission:

For comparison:

Again, feel free to use my sprite. When requesting a custom sprite with it, simply call it "Spire's Mewtwo". Thanks, and enjoy!

Mewter

Smash Master
Hey, I just made this for any and all of you to use. You have my permission:

For comparison:

Again, feel free to use my sprite. When requesting a custom sprite with it, simply call it "Spire's Mewtwo". Thanks, and enjoy!
PFFFFT! SPIRE! THAT IS SO- awesome....
Mind if I use it as my avatar?
That is so.... cool... although maybe the head positioning looks a bit awkward.
Nice job, Spire.:bee:
@lol, handsockpuppet

Spire

III
BRoomer
PFFFFT! SPIRE! THAT IS SO- awesome....
Mind if I use it as my avatar?
That is so.... cool... although maybe the head positioning looks a bit awkward.
Nice job, Spire.:bee:
@lol, handsockpuppet
Feel free man :) Like I said, it's for all of you to use however you wish. No need to ask for permission.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I claim this.:)

Edit:
I am done with Spire's Mewtwo Revamp:
to

Now that I look at it, its head looks a bit small...
Edit: Or maybe not.
It's good but to tell the truth, I would've just done the color change and that's it. But you're the scratch man so I can't stop you from doing that.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
It's good but to tell the truth, I would've just done the color change and that's it. But you're the scratch man so I can't stop you from doing that.

Just a colour change wouldn't be a devamp though. If he were to have done that it would look nothing like a 1st gen or 2nd gen srpite but more like a 4th gen one with a colour change.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, I think that was actually the best way to do the devamp, Mewter. When you look back at first gen sprites, they looked totally different. So, making it look less like Mewtwo today was a really good move, in my opinion.

EDIT:

1UPChris, I finished your trainer sprite.

Also, I present to you Woochu v2:

The original Woochu I made (
) was just me showing my friend how I attached parts, but it was a crummy fusion nonetheless so I wanted to redo it. EVERYTHING I added on was scratched. I'm working towards scratching much more.

M.K

Level 55

) was just me showing my friend how I attached parts, but it was a crummy fusion nonetheless so I wanted to redo it. EVERYTHING I added on was scratched. I'm working towards scratching much more.
Yeah, the trainer is really, really good. Congratulations on making that. The only tiny thing would be the logo sort of looks bigger than the shirt, but meehhhhhh!!!!!! Too epic to be dwelled upon.

Woochu 2 is too cool, too. (Lawl, same syllables much?) I sorta think the "stem" is more....V shaped than M shaped, but it looks great for a scratch
cuz scratching makes sprites good and amazing and only good if they are scratched, AMIRITE xP

~*~*~Happy 16th Birthday, Meta-Kirby!!~*~*~

Spire

III
BRoomer
I claim this.:)

Edit:
I am done with Spire's Mewtwo Revamp:
to

Now that I look at it, its head looks a bit small...
Edit: Or maybe not.
Yeah, I think that was actually the best way to do the devamp, Mewter. When you look back at first gen sprites, they looked totally different. So, making it look less like Mewtwo today was a really good move, in my opinion.

EDIT:

To both of you in the words of Tim & Eric, "Great job!"

I think the Mewtwo devamp is perfect. It's as abnormal as it should be.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I finished LordoftheMorning's fusion, by the way:

One version with claws for fingers, and one with just fingers... I think the first one looks more natural.
As well as a devamp to first generation:
Haha. At first I didn't even remember what it was that I requested. It's obviously a crobat, but it's other half could be an aerodactyl or latias. Whatever. Still looks great! Thanks Mewter!:)

@whoever:

This caught my eye. I love the gilded look he's got.

Mewter

Smash Master
Oh well, Zrky... Firus can take them if he wants.:)
I'm going on hiatus for a while, now. I'll possibly be gone a lot of the summer, but I'll pop in and out once in a while and possibly for long sessions/bursts. It'll kind of be like last summer. If I do take any requests, though, I will try my best on them.:)

I'll be around a bit for the next couple days, but after the 29th, I'm gone.
Just a heads up.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Not much on at the moment..... so....

REQUEST!!!

I was cruising round the pokemon sprite generator hoping to get some ideas when I got Altaria and Milotic... so I was wonderin if anyone could pull that one off...
Could be tricky but you guys are pretty pro...

M.K

Level 55
Not much on at the moment..... so....

REQUEST!!!

I was cruising round the pokemon sprite generator hoping to get some ideas when I got Altaria and Milotic... so I was wonderin if anyone could pull that one off...
Could be tricky but you guys are pretty pro...
Remember to request in the correct format or your request won't be accepted. Denied.

Introducing: Machoddish!

A deceptively cute brute. Imagine this thing being plucked from your vegetable garden. O_O

@whoever:

This caught my eye. I love the gilded look he's got.
Woah, hey thanks. I had to look up what the word "gilded" means, but I agree, it does look "covered or highlighted with gold or something of a golden color." or "having a pleasing or showy appearance that conceals something of little worth.".

Yup, I'm a fail XD

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Just a simple ~request~ :

Can you change the hat so that it is slightly lower, black, with a white headbandish thing and a ribbon attached?
Here's an image for reference: Renko
Or was there already a spin-off request in the past 2 weeks?.
I didn't see mine on the pending list. Did I request wrong? Am I just being impatient? Was there a spin-off request in the past 2 weeks? Was it already completed and I'm not looking hard enough? Was I blacklisted from making requests or something?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I didn't see mine on the pending list. Did I request wrong? Am I just being impatient? Was there a spin-off request in the past 2 weeks? Was it already completed and I'm not looking hard enough? Was I blacklisted from making requests or something?
A spin-off request has been made in the past two weeks; on May 18th. June 1st, you'll be able to request it again.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I'm assuming you're talkiing about me, since I requested a spin-off on may 18. but mine isn't on the pending. did you finish it?

since this has been closed for a week, is it safe to request a spin-off? i so

~Request~

Prinplup with top hat, monocle, and bow tie (just search for pics on internet and make smaller). need it for http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=1110 (feel free to apply if your avi is classy). I'll probably recolor it black and white later, but feel free to do it yourself if you would like.

also Happy Birthday! you're 1 year old!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm assuming you're talkiing about me, since I requested a spin-off on may 18. but mine isn't on the pending. did you finish it?
Yes. Meta-Kirby posted it a few pages back.

EDIT: :mad:lax is done.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Yes. Meta-Kirby posted it a few pages back.

EDIT: :mad:lax is done.

Madlax, lol that was a good anme series. anyway, nice job thanks.

Why do I feel like there are to many rules? Can't request this untill 5 days after 4 bussnes days, and cabn't request this till pigs fly or i win a million.

Too many rules is bad.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
No no Spire you got it all wrong, MK doesn't sieze to impress him, he clearly says "You never sieze to impress me". Which begs the question if seizing isn't what MK does to impress him then what is it, good sprites or something?

Top Bottom