• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Nothing needs to help his chances of staying, he's not going anywhere unless he's a victim of time issues.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Red was in:
Red, Blue, Green, Yellow (1996 1998)
Pokemon Stadium (1998)
Gold Silver Crystal (1999 2000)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (2000)
Fire Red/Leaf Green (2004 between Melee and Brawl).
Heart Gold/Soul Silver (2009)
Black and White 2 (2012- )

Only more reason that he'll probably stay.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
What I'd like to see is a current fire-emblem/Current generations most popular pokemon esque deal. I'd like red to stay but have the most current generations trainer and starter pokemon in the game. Serperior/Tepig/Dewott would be what I think would be best for Hubert/Nate. (The current generations main male characters) Also who else would like to see the other gender as a costume change for the pokemon trainers. Give leaf and Hilda/Rosa some love nintendo.

As far as changes in the core gameplay of the pokemon trainers go. For me, get rid of the stamina. Changing pokemon actually makes sense to me. The pokemon is knocked out so you send in the next one.

D

Deleted member

No. It was a Gamefaqs joke where people would just say "ivysaur" for no reason.

The joke died down, though.

peeup

Smash Lord
I'd love to see him come back, him being my favorite character. And I'm fine if stamina+switching on death stays (I'd prefer it actually) As long as his Down Special is much faster and can allow for multi pokemon combos, making him more like a tag fighter. That would be sick.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They could make pokemon trainer like noob-smoke where switching pokemon is part of the combos

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This is pretty much what I've advocated this entire time. It's not that hard to visualize.

:phone:
I'm honestly surprised that Sakurai didn't think to include some sort of mechanic like this in the first place.

The biggest annoyance I've had while playing PT is the inability to switch Pokemon without having to rely on knocking the opponent far enough to get an opening to do so.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How often do you find yourself wanting to switch mid-match if you aren't tired or haven't just died (strictly to get a better matchup after a forced weakness), though? There has to be some sort of trade-off.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think it's likely we'll see PT being implemented that way, though it would be cool to see. It's just not really fitting for the character, as switching out in the games also makes you lose a 'turn'. They just need to remove the stamina, and make you able to choose for yourself which Pokemon you'll use next... somehow? The Wii U tablet would be able to implement it that way as you'd be able to touch which Pokemon you wanna use next on the tablet, but I don't really wanna play Smash on a tablet. :/ How about special 'codes' to switch between Pokemon? Say, Press Down B, then C Stick to left for Squirtle, up for Charizard and right for Ivysaur?

Also, I posted this in the Raichu thread as an idea for Pokemon Trainer:

^ Which is also why I think that if Raichu is to be included, Pichu should as well.

In the older thread, I made a suggestion of a PT / Pikachu combining sort of character, where you start out as Pichu (assuming you take 3 stocks) and after gaining 'happiness' in this way; beat the first stock of the opponent without losing yours, you evolve into Pikachu. Who again, could evolve into Raichu upon finding the Thunder Stone, which would appear as an item Pikachu needs to grab. Opponents in return could also get the Thunder Stone and either throw it off stage, or throw it at Pikachu.

There'd also be the possibility to play as Pikachu alone but you'd have to press at Pikachu specifically, much like Zelda / Sheik and the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon.

It's very unlikely to happen, and I feel that if they do this for Pikachu, why not do this for Pokemon Trainer as well? Options: 'Standard Pokemon Trainer' - Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, 'Fire Starter Pokemon Trainer' - Charmander evolving into Charizard, 'Grass Starter Trainer' - Bulbasaur evolving into Venusaur and 'Water Starter Trainer' - Squirtle evolving into Blastoise.

Igglybuff - Jigglypuff - Wigglytuff and Riolu - Lucario could also work, but it might be too much work. Just add in standalone Mewtwo, Lucario and a 5th gen rep and Pokemon would be fine. But really, it all depends on how many characters are to be added.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
How often do you find yourself wanting to switch mid-match if you aren't tired or haven't just died (strictly to get a better matchup after a forced weakness), though? There has to be some sort of trade-off.
Quite often actually. I'm just really bad with certain matchups based on which Pokemon I have out at the time. Like I'll start out with Zard against my brother's ROB but if he kills me first I have trouble finishing him off with Squirtle while wishing I had more opportunities to get Ivy out.

Doesn't help that I suck (mainly with Ivy). You're my main inspiration though. :) Love watching your PT.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I said "other than when you've just died." If you die and you're left with a bad matchup, that's your fault for dying. Should've switched before that happened. Ideally, you're both at high percents at the point where he could KO you, so that's as good an opportunity as any to switch.

Glad to see that my play is a good show, though. :)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Like I said earlier I just wish down b applied sort of knock-back when timed correctly to ease switching between deaths. I think it would make PT a lot more accessible as a whole for people that are turned off by the stamina mechanic.

Also, while I have your attention... What do you think of PT's chances overall of making it into Sm4sh? Would you still main PT if the Kanto trio were replaced with another trio? Or is your allegiance strictly for the Kanto starters?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Like I said earlier I just wish down b applied sort of knock-back when timed correctly to ease switching between deaths. I think it would make PT a lot more accessible as a whole for people that are turned off by the stamina mechanic.

Also, while I have your attention... What do you think of PT's chances overall of making it into Sm4sh? Would you still main PT if the Kanto trio were replaced with another trio? Or is your allegiance strictly for the Kanto starters?
A surrounding attack as soon as a switch starts would be reasonable, yeah. Sort of like the "all-or-nothing" feeling of Bullet Seed.

It would be nice if you could switch immediately after respawning, like Zelda/Sheik, instead of only getting to switch when invulnerability wears off. I imagine that's to mimic the concept in Pokémon where you leave yourself open whenever you switch, but, eh.

As unique as the character is, I can't imagine why they would take him out, unless the cast gets cut down by a great deal. Also, I can't imagine any other trio replacing them, but, part of the appeal of the character for me is having three different movesets to work with. It is often difficult to keep my attention (I get bored of secondaries quickly), so as long as they're varied, I imagine I'd still use a Pokémon trio.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't think it's likely we'll see PT being implemented that way, though it would be cool to see. It's just not really fitting for the character, as switching out in the games also makes you lose a 'turn'. They just need to remove the stamina, and make you able to choose for yourself which Pokemon you'll use next... somehow? The Wii U tablet would be able to implement it that way as you'd be able to touch which Pokemon you wanna use next on the tablet, but I don't really wanna play Smash on a tablet. :/ How about special 'codes' to switch between Pokemon? Say, Press Down B, then C Stick to left for Squirtle, up for Charizard and right for Ivysaur?
Fitting for the character, in this case, might be irrelevant if you want to go for balance and versatility. The ability to tag in mid combo, while never done in the Pokemon games, would fit very well in this game if done right.

As for switching, I like what you said, but no C-Stick.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
"Hold the B button during switching to skip over the next Pokémon."
If this, then there needs to be a generous buffer on when you can press B, namely as soon as the Pokemon is called back. I would hate to see the input range be so precise.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's the concept that's most important. Something like "press B three times" would work, too.

Shirekeldeo7

Smash Cadet
If he returns at least give him 6 pokemon because thats what all trainers can have and change it up a bit instead of just Kanto pokemon like keep Charizard, but replace Ivysaur with Chikorita, and replace squirtle with Piplup, and then they should add Hitmochan, Pignite, and whatever other one you want

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
If he returns at least give him 6 pokemon because thats what all trainers can have and change it up a bit instead of just Kanto pokemon like keep Charizard, but replace Ivysaur with Chikorita, and replace squirtle with Piplup, and then they should add Hitmochan, Pignite, and whatever other one you want
lol...no
It's already hard enough as it is to get out the one you want and there is no way Pokemon will get 3 new reps this time around. Not unless somebody gets dropped.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I've heard some pretty bad ideas concerning PT but this one is particularly head scratching.

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
trying to do that would take WAYYY too long to input into the game and especially trying to switch all 6 pokemon during the middle of a matchup it just wouldnt be worth the trouble and hassle to do all that

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
What is the general opinion on Red's chances of returning? im curious as i have just a few doubts, not to say that i *dont* want him back, i really DO want him back! i guess a lot of people seem to want to replace him with Hilbert (B/W) or even May

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I guarantee you that the Pokémon will not be switched up (if they are used at all).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just want Charizard to return mostly. But improved if they can. Never liked how sluggish he was in the air and how bad his jumping and flying was. Plus, Rock Smash... I mean, c'mon... It's Rock Smash. Don't care how strong it was against bosses, I wanted something better than that. I liked what they did to him in Project M though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But at least he looks significantly better in Project M, and has a playstyle that at least makes sence. Can't tell otherwise, cause I'm from Europe aka PAL-****hole so I can't play Project M anyways :c

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I just like how the Project M version focuses primarily on keeping your opponents in the air, which is what a flying type would probably try to do in a real battle... His moves overall are more representative of what Zard would probably fight like.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, that's why I thought it'd suit him much better. Being in the air a lot and all. Having a lot of launching attacks, and better jumps. Plus, I like how his Up B works as a finisher of sorts.

I also like what I've seen from Ivysaur. Especially the Solar Beam and Stun Spore attacks.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
So what are the chanced good old Red will come back? and if so, please give him his name Sakurai....=/ i didnt very much like how Red got no credit as a character in brawl, not even a little bit!

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
He will return, even if it's only his Pokemon. I don't think they created three original movesets in Brawl just to drop them in the next game

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
You make a solid point my friend. However it still annoys me that they refused to use him name throughout all of brawl =\

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom