• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* 4:: VGBootCamp Debut! Two days. Plank's sanity remaining: 50%

What type of stage set should Pound4 run

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhan

Smash Hero
Insted of having the "Important Post #433" part in the title, why not just take the post link and put in the OP. That way people find it easier (Even though it's not far off).

Just a thought. :/

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I hope you made that simply because of how happy you were about this tournament.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Another announcement​

I will be personally providing trips from BWI Airport to whichever hotel ends up being picked for the discount rate to cater to those of you flying in from OOS. I will be charging a fee, but nowhere near the amount of a Taxi. Bwi airport is an hour from Frederick, so a taxi would be hefty. I will be providing trips for most likely ~$15 per person each way. I will pick people up on Friday and drop them off on Tuesday at the airport, so people can get their tickets for those days. (I'm flexible, if I have to do some late night trips I can.)

I've spent the day looking into hotels/motels that I can get discount rates from if I can guarantee 50+ rooms, but I need some input from players. Unfortunately due to Frederick's ideal location (right inbetween DC and Baltimore) hotels aren't very cheap.

The BEST option I have right now preaches quality/convenience rather than cheapness. It looks really promising, and is the Hampton Inn. The rates are usually $140/night, but I got them to take them down to $99 a night. I know this is somewhat expensive, but on top of it being a very nice hotel, having a spa+indoor pool, and a full breakfast there is a shuttle which runs across all of Frederick COMPLIMENTARY to the Hotel. The venue is inside the shuttle radius. This means players without cars won't have to worry about finding a ride from the hotel to the tournament or other places they would like to go.

So imagine this guys... You fly in, get picked up, taken to a hotel, shuttled to an amazing tournament there and back everyday, then get driven back to the airport when the tournament is over. No stress about rides or how you're going to get places, if you're going to be late, etc.

-OR-

Right now the cheapest rooms I can find look like they're going to be about $55 per night for 2 beds. This however is an Econo Lodge, which as we all know isn't the best place to stay around. If people choose this I will probably try to do my own shuttle service for maybe like $5 per person each time they need to be driven to/from the venue. This would probably end up being more expensive than just paying for the better room w/ the shuttle service.

Let me know what you guys think. My main goal is to minimize confusion and stress of getting rides from airports and such and eliminate problems like Genesis is having with people not having housing, not being able to get rides, etc. If anyone knows me they know I like to get things sorted out ahead of time so everything can run as smooth as possible!

So bottom line is...

Would you guys prefer to spend like $10 a person and stay at somewhere not very nice or comfortable and try to figure out their own rides or spend $20 a person and stay at a nice hotel with a spa/breakfast/pool/shuttle service?

Would people want me to provide them rides to the venue/hotel from the airport? Let me know guys, I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for everyone, I want everyone to have a really great time and not stress about their plans!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Also from now on all important posts will be linked from the bottom of the first post with a short description of what they're about. I hope any questions will be answered from this thread, but please feel free to contact me!

Cia

das kwl
Hampton Inn deal sounds amazing. not sure how many people will be psyched about an indoor pool in January (I'll be) but that price seems well worth it.

<_<

>_>

freemutecity

:colorful:

meepxzero

Smash Master
alright i guess. You shouldnt justifiy keeping planking cuz its the only tactic mk has against ic. I can see this tourney bein mad silly with everyone planking each other when they take a lead lulz.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
That's not my reasoning. My reasoning is that I'm either going to keep tactics in the game in which there is a debate on whether or not they are unfair, or I am going to ban them all. The community is split on both topics, so I am going to either going to ban them all, or ban none of them. If it were my way Planking would be legal but IC infinites banned, so I'm definitely not just being biased. Lol :p

meepxzero

Smash Master
planking and ic infinites are not comparable. I heard that like only 3 people in sbr wanted to ban the infinite and how many members are back there? Only me and lain make it look bannable, but until there are as many mks as ic nothing is going to happen to it.

planking is already banned in a ton of national tournies in some shape or form. You cant fight it period if you do it properly. It really doesnt matter to me cuz i can play a homo mk and plank. Its just gonna be really sad when everyone at the top part of the bracket is planking wins.

But your right its your tourney. Go ban the ic infinite if you want. Especially when enough people havent proven it to be broken yet.

edit: keep planking in lol. i kinda wanna see plank do another storyline thingy like he did with dapuffster LOL.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Ill definitely talk to fellow TO's and such before making any decisions. I realize everyone has personal bias and won't make any brash decisions because of this. Personally, I've seen Planking win less important matches than the IC infinite. I'm not even going to be playing Brawl btw because I'm going to focus on running the tourney. But yeah, I will definitely talk with people and see what they think before making any decisions.

edit::: thanks rhan for the idea...i now have a very important post section on the first post

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Planking is something that pro players usually don't fall victim too, since they have a brain and can avoid it (as people get smarter, they figure out how to deal with this properly), and I see planking as a novelty just for humiliation and personal entertainment.

IC's infinite is something that takes away control from the other player no matter what skill level, unless you can break the IC's apart. It makes them a very challenging opponent. However, Only Lain and Meep and maybe SK (cura) have been able make the IC's look dominant, while other IC players have had their weaknesses exploited and been able to be stopped. I think if Lain and Meep invested this much time into another top tier like D3, Snake, etc. that they would be just as good and still win tournaments. I don't meep is only good because of that infinite, and therefore at this point I don't think it should be banned, nor planking. I don't even think that a ledge grab rule should be in place for brawl either.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Thanks for the input Tant!!! From most of the responses I've gotten people are Okay with what I have as far as Brawl goes as a whole. Though it seems most people want wobbling banned for melee.

Lobos

Smash Master
I liked the idea of twitter updates like what Genesis did.....(even tho they sucked at twitting) I think I will set that up despite us having live stream. At least that way people will know about more than whats being shown.

That being said....HYPE! First big melee/brawl tournament for 2010!

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Just for more input

Forte, Boss, and I were able to adequately deal with the IC's this weekend. I think I beat GIMR 7 times in a row in friendlies, and I was really looking good against meep. Forte and Boss had a bit more success with it. Lets see how the IC's metagame plays out through out the fall, but I only see people getting better against it, not worse.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
I support having twitter updates from many people...that **** was awesome! And it reveals a bit more about the tourney than most people get to know from one livestream or a results thread...

I prefer this over having a live stream, at all....it just uses up a recording setup that could be on a different TV ><

Livestream IS good though when it's like...finals. But that's kinda it. Because all things considered the quality is still balls when you'll have so many people watching

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Now that genesis is over with....hype!

EC VS WC CREW BATTLE GETS FINISHED HERE! ;)

we gon **** on our turf

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
I am going to make this my first big tourney so you all can have an extra $35 in the pot.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Hahaha, nice! I've had multiple messages saying this is gonna be peoples first tourney. This one is gonna be huge.

Thx to everyone who has registered so far. Keep em coming! I need a bunch more by august 1st (before the price gets upped a bit as well!) to prove to the venue this is serious business.

dont forget if something comes up, i have no problem issuing a refund.

I'm getting a core of like 20 tvs for this to add on top of what people bring just to make sure theres way more setups than we know what to do with. I want 100+ setups, lez goes.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Oh, wasn't really sure.

Well...all of them... as long as we get enough setups =D

im so excited for this, so much planning!

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I'm confused, the registration site has melee singles as $25, and singles+doubles as $35, but the first post says its 35 and 45, was that an error on the part of the first post or the registration site?

and if we get enough people, can we do 3/5 semis? and real 3/5, not say 3/5 and really mean 2/3 for some people?

also in the offchance that it was a mistake on the registration, and you decide that the other people who have entered won't have to pay an extra $10, can I have the extra $10 off too since I mentioned it here before registering?

I like my money :D

Also we should have an epic MD/VA tourney sometime before this happens, ima host another UMD melee tourney, I can't wait for this.

POUNDPOUNDPOUND.

Hopefully that doesn't mean jigg's side B.

Also, would it be okay if I tried to make an epic trailer for this? Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to use brawl clips since I don't know the brawl community well, I could do a text/music only one. Or I could do one ala pound 3 with clips only of MD/VAers.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
It would be amazing if you made an epic trailor chred... i would <3 u forever

melee is going to be $10 more since i am making it 2 days. i havent had the chance to switch the paypal buttons so anyone who registers before i fix it saves 10 bucks, :p

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
nice, gotsta register fast then.

I guess I'll do melee clips, if I can get enough of only MD/VA from recent stuff I'll do that, except for a request plank has lol.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
****, lol. Chred I would do EC vs WC clips. i wanna hype EC vs WC. I want the whole WC to come here for once :-D

lol but clearly do what ya want

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
****, lol. Chred I would do EC vs WC clips. i wanna hype EC vs WC. I want the whole WC to come here for once :-D

lol but clearly do what ya want
how about I do both and just see how much stuff I can cram in while sticking to the music and epicness :D

btw don't kill me if I randomly throw in that shine bair combo, I'm an egotistical ******* XD

I want to see if scar is going to up the rest of the biweekly stuff he recorded.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I pre-registered, I can bring 2 TV's and a Wii if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom