• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* 4:: VGBootCamp Debut! Two days. Plank's sanity remaining: 50%

What type of stage set should Pound4 run

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhan

Smash Hero
Because Brawl is popular, if you start some ******** debate I'll punch you in the face in person if you show up, I'm ignorant enough to do it.
Can I come for free just to witness this?

On a serious note: You really shouldn't get defensive over a videogame debate. I don't let Brawl vs Melee phase me anymore. Everyone has thier own opinions.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Good ****. I've purchased 20 extra tvs already to add on top of those that people bring. <3 guaranteed setups to last ALL tourney

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
From what I heard it lacked setups as a whole. I would NEVER let that happen here. I was sooo disappointed with the total # of setups at pound 3, so that won't happen again. I want people to be able to play friendlies and play EVERYONE they want to play if theyre paying so much money to come out of their way to my tournament. i want to have at least 50 setups for each game, so we'll see what happens. genesis should've thought ahead and had some sort of monetary compensation for bringing setups like i always do... lol

it seems like their tourney preparation REALLY lacked, but i'm glad they ran the tournament itself well and got it done with

-Chad-

Slackerator
@Colbol- Yeah it needed like 40-50ish for it to be decent at least...

I really want to know what the venue fee money went toward in Genesis, cause they did charge 20$ for venue fee for each person :(

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
@Colbol- Yeah it needed like 40-50ish for it to be decent at least...

I really want to know what the venue fee money went toward in Genesis, cause they did charge 20$ for venue fee for each person :(
I'd rather not get into the monetary logistics of it because there are a lot of random costs that can come up and i don't want to point fingers at any TO (unless it's manacloud). I know they paid neal and stuff to help with the tourney so my guess is they each got some sort of cut which is understandable. I for one though am not really for taking too much of the players money, at pound 3 when there was extra venue fee money i put it in the pot and used it to pay out up top 16 :)

pockyD

Smash Legend
i want to know where you think you can rent CRT TVs nowadays

dbr put a lot of thought and effort into acquiring TVs in advance, but really, the lack of prepay put a huge crimp in the plan to maybe buy TVs

not to mention 100+ were promised (though i guess nobody really took that number seriously anyway)

and yes, the venue, the epic stage setup, hiring electrician/sound guys/security/whatever to be on standby in case anything went wrong, tables, chairs, and many other things the common smasher never even thinks to account for

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I've been buying and storing them, not renting them. Just gonna get rid of them after the tourney. $10-25 tvs that are 17-20 inches off of craigslist, then driving to pick them up and putting them in my parents basement. Renting them these days is impossible....everyone rents HD tvs

KoreanStriker93

Smash Apprentice
I've been buying and storing them, not renting them. Just gonna get rid of them after the tourney. $10-25 tvs that are 17-20 inches off of craigslist, then driving to pick them up and putting them in my parents basement. Renting them these days is impossible....everyone rents HD tvs
What do you mean get rid of them? o.O

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah dude I'll gladly take any off your hands that you don't want ;)

Actually if you end up buying a ton and run out of room to store them, I definitely have room at the farm.

KoreanStriker93

Smash Apprentice
Are you going to this? It'd be funny if you and Colbol stood next to each other cause you guys look alike lol
Haha, yeah I'm trying. Maybe we won't look as alike standing next to each other? I should learn how to play Fox in Melee to be more similar anyway :laugh:

@Plank: If you're going to just throw them away or sell them or whatever, I might want to buy one or something =)

-Chad-

Slackerator
Didn't they dish out food? Venue probably cost a lot. Rent-a-cops cost money. Other random expenses we're probably not aware of
No. They had a concession stand that was super overpriced so they made money off that too.

i want to know where you think you can rent CRT TVs nowadays

dbr put a lot of thought and effort into acquiring TVs in advance, but really, the lack of prepay put a huge crimp in the plan to maybe buy TVs

not to mention 100+ were promised (though i guess nobody really took that number seriously anyway)

and yes, the venue, the epic stage setup, hiring electrician/sound guys/security/whatever to be on standby in case anything went wrong, tables, chairs, and many other things the common smasher never even thinks to account for
Even with all that, do you think they spent 10K? If there was 500 people at 20$ venue fee there was 10K to play around with.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
@Jcaes sweet!! I will let you know.

I was planning on either storing them somewhere or taking them to a dump. Maybe i will just sell them off to smashers who want little tvs to take to tournaments for like 5-10 bucks depending on size/condition.

edit:: i really really dont want this to turn into a bash genesis thread. they made some mistakes we all know, but they still did their best to create an environment to bring tonss and tons of smashers together. <3 them for that.

Some things could've been done better, but as a community we must all learn from each others mistakes. The staff at this will have to be sure to not make any mistakes previous pounds made (pound? mistakes? i know, blasphemy - barring pound 3 ending at 3 AM XD) and mistakes other tournies made

pockyD

Smash Legend
Even with all that, do you think they spent 10K? If there was 500 people at 20$ venue fee there was 10K to play around with.
maybe, maybe not, i don't know

i do know that they didn't get that 10k til friday/saturday, at which point there's not a ton of stuff you can do with the money at the last minute, especially since we don't know how much, if any, was surplus

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
maybe, maybe not, i don't know

i do know that they didn't get that 10k til friday/saturday, at which point there's not a ton of stuff you can do with the money at the last minute, especially since we don't know how much, if any, was surplus
How did they even pay for the venue with no pre-reg? Lol

@Lovage because I want this tournament to be epic for everyone, not just the melee community. I don't even like Brawl very much and i'll probably leave running it to other people, but the venue here is 1.5x the size of the genesis venue and can easily accomodate for both games. Pound is a smash tournament series, not a melee tournament series :)

pockyD

Smash Legend
they had to borrow money to cover the stuff in advance

and obviously, when you're borrowing money, you want to borrow as little as possible, so they didn't take massive loans out to stock up on TVs they may or may not have needed

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well that is how I got tvs for apex. CRTS are great to own...I'll buy some if you dont want them plank :)

-Chad-

Slackerator
@pocky- Well they obviously didn't borrow money for tv's. Registration ended at 11-12 the first day, and at that time they had just about everyone's venue fee. They had ample time to do whatever they wanted with that money and see just how much they had to play with after taking out what the venue cost which they most likely had already paid for.

pockyD

Smash Legend
@pocky- Well they obviously didn't borrow money for tv's. Registration ended at 11-12 the first day, and at that time they had just about everyone's venue fee. They had ample time to do whatever they wanted with that money and see just how much they had to play with after taking out what the venue cost which they most likely had already paid for.
well just considering the craigslist angle, they needed to find a large number of people willing to sell, reasonably local (since you're not from the area, you may or may not realize that the venue is a good 60-90 minutes from the city), willing to be present at home at the time DBR intends to pick it up, and be reasonably priced

plank is picking up TVs over the course of 6 months, not 6 hours

the only 'reasonable' thing in my head that 'could' have been done would have been to go to target/best buy and buy some NEW tvs, but that's rather pricy and like i said before, we have no knowledge of the extent of the surplus

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Let's just say it would've helped a lot if they got the pre-reg up. I don't know what i'd do without it, I need that money to help plan and organize.

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah prepay makes all the difference

and even i know levitibus "is" eevisu, and i don't even really know who "eevisu" is

aside from that he's been constantly getting banned over the past 2 years and making new names every few months and is not lambchops or 5150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom