• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* 4:: VGBootCamp Debut! Two days. Plank's sanity remaining: 50%

What type of stage set should Pound4 run

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
If we would listen to all the Smash players out there, we would still be playing with items.
Irrelevant. You are taking what I am saying and stretching it beyond the scope of the matter at hand. The rules under discussion are way more intricate than hitting a few switches.

@Swiftbass: I think it's pretty obvious that it should be the top players who decide the ruleset, as they would know the most about the game. Of course this doesn't hold true for all of them, but there's an undeniable correlation there.
While that correlation holds that does not justify the "pros" making all of the rules without contest. I can guarantee you that if all the "pros" made a rule set that all of the "unknowns" or whoever appalled without contest, that there would be a significant decrease in tourney attendance and overall lack of compliance. A smaller example of this has already happened with the back room which is supposedly made of ppl who know what the heck they're talking about. The recommended rules from the SBR are almost always modified.

Im not objecting fully to the "pros" doing stuff like u suggest but everyone else should be taken into consideration as well, hence why plank is a good TO. He had mute city banned at the start and then it wasnt cuz ppl gave him input. I do not know where he stands on mute city now but the point is that he was swayed by theopinion and input of post on boards that were probly all not made by a "pro".

If you cannot have the support of the "unknowns" then you have no support at your tourneys(long run case). What you are suggesting may not effect things now but they take a step in the wrong direction in terms of growth. imo and will shrink the community in the long run.

If you are not suggesting that the "pros" make the rules uncontested plz lemme know. That is my largest quarrel.

Also plz tell me exactly is a "Pro". I jokingly mentioned the list waffles made to illustrate a point on how the definition has potential to be subjective. I'm am not saying that waffles thinks that everyone on that list he made was "Pro" but that he may have taken them into consideration as "Pro" in the case that there was some kind of ruling.

ppl should really stop using the term "Pro". "Pros" dun exist anymore. They died along with the MLG run smash had.

@banks

I was SOOO about to do that a few minutes ago. but apparently remen seems to have in his mind some definition of "pro" that the people on that list do not meet the requiremnts for. Funny thing is that he probly wrote of "life after death" as a scrub or something

Banks

Smash Hero
well swift, a pro is someone who has well edited combo videos or who is better than M2K through 5 degrees of inui logic.

Remen

Smash Apprentice
While that correlation holds that does not justify the "pros" making all of the rules without contest. I can guarantee you that if all the "pros" made a rule set that all of the "unknowns" or whoever appalled without contest, that there would be a significant decrease in tourney attendance and overall lack of compliance. A smaller example of this has already happened with the back room which is supposedly made of ppl who know what the heck they're talking about. The recommended rules from the SBR are almost always modified.

Im not objecting fully to the "pros" doing stuff like u suggest but everyone else should be taken into consideration as well, hence why plank is a good TO. He had mute city banned at the start and then it wasnt cuz ppl gave him input. I do not know where he stands on mute city now but the point is that he was swayed by theopinion and input of post on boards that were probly all not made by a "pro".

If you cannot have the support of the "unknowns" then you have no support at your tourneys(long run case). What you are suggesting may not effect things now but they take a step in the wrong direction in terms of growth. imo and will shrink the community in the long run.

If you are not suggesting that the "pros" make the rules uncontested plz lemme know. That is my largest quarrel.
Your main argument seems to be that attendence would decline, but isn't that a weak reason from a competitive point of view? In Europe, TO's consult the top players of that region to make a ruleset. All other players trust that they will make it as fair as possible and therefor give pretty much unconditional support.
So I guess it comes down to a cultural difference then, I'll believe you when you say that attendance would decline because of this(as you obviously know more about the American scene than I do). And I'm not about to go force Europeans views on you guys or anything since we're the visitors here =), so I guess I'll just leave it at this.

It's safe to say...Banks just PWNED THE ENTIRE ARGUEMENT!!!!
Actually I think the only thing he PWNED is himself, the amount of butthurt he showed over not making it on a meaningless little list is truly amazing.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if you want to make it a cultural thing then yeah, america is all about giving everyone a voice, even those who may or may not deserve it

anyway i still think any form of voting is stupid with regards to the rules... plank knows all the arguments for both sides and he should just make the decision himself (or if the current set is the decision he's already made, so be it)

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
@ Remen's last line: *sigh*...nah it just appears that way...

man, lots of miscommunication and assumptions o_O

That's not what Swift was getting at, Remen, afaik. He meant if any Smasher was allowed to vote on the same thing but only the votes from certain pros were to count, it would be seen in a negative light and potentially dissuade newer players from caring as their opinion clearly wouldn't appear to matter.

Now if a rule was to be done via private vote among "pros," that's an entirely different story.

Let's say all of a nation's citizens get to vote on something. Regardless of the outcome, only the votes from the richest and most powerful citizens would end up counting.

People would surely be less inclined to cooperate with that government.

pockyD

Smash Legend
a newer player's opinion SHOULDN'T matter when voting on rules

what if there was a government where people couldn't vote for the first 18 years of their life

wait a minute

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
toasty's post is what I was trying to say. Im not talking about just newer players. I've made it obvious I am talking about everyone thats not a "pro". but yeah toasty understands my point and conveyed it well.

My statements weren't directed specifically at pound4 but as a reference to the long term(which I've mentioned b4).

You can call it a culture thing if you want, but be sure that you know that I am NOT against a few people deciding the rules and that I am not implying some pro america undertone, however as stated b4 taking into account the majority I feel is really important(to an extent), because at the end of the day.....The people you named that were pros aren't going to make the tourney epic themselves(assuming that they are the only pros (: ) it is going to be everyone else who gives tourneys good numbers and unpredictable turnouts.

The unknowns do and will trust the "pros" but they also have pull themselves for if not for them the community dies hands down. Its up to them ulitmately whether they want to fully trust the "Pros" or have some input. Perhaps thats the difference culturally that you see.

Once again, I endorse any reasonable decision made by plank about the rules. He is experienced knows his stuff etc etc etc.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
The only problem with it being done in person is how much time it will take up.

If you can do it on a comp system it will make it faster for sure. Just list the 2 options and have an "I don't care" option. Just be sure no one votes twice (do it when checking in to help prevent this).

Again when people register they just make a silent vote on the spot (because otherwise there's a chance of outside influence, or this will help make it less influencial).

I know I'm a non-pro who's say should have no meaning whatsoever, but thought I would voice my opinion :p

Banks

Smash Hero
Actually I think the only thing he PWNED is himself, the amount of butthurt he showed over not making it on a meaningless little list is truly amazing.
it was more to do with how you only counted like 4 people votes out of 442. what did i say that caused you to think i was only posting just to show that I should be on the list? that had nothing to do with it :laugh: nice try bro

PB&J

Smash Hero
lol @ ally

so let plank handle the rules..he had a poll for a reason..no need to change it now since the europeans are unhappy

dont ban planking because its not unstoppable or not even close to being as gay as softing and that

is still not unstoppable. deal with it..there are always away around campers

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The ROB mains challenge the Falco mains to (real life) laser tag.

The gauntlet has been thrown. Your move, Falcos.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
lol you do realize that there are **** tons of good players who voted on both sides that know just about as much about the game as anyone. .. even if they don't win tournaments. You clearly don't know who anyone is....

*Zork*, -=BadNewsBear=-, -ACE-, -Affinity-, -ANTi-, -Hoggle-, .tea©, 2001, 4 the lulz, 718_ROOKI3, a male platypus, actionB@stard, Aesir, Africa, Ally, Alphicans, Alukard, AmcD, an8676, Aniolas, Anomic_Punk, Anubis Ocelot, arrancar 18, Arturito_Burrito, Asaph, AtmaIllumina, AustinRC, Auxori, AxelSlam, Ayaz18, Aztec Avenger, B8RPE, Backward, bad habiT, Ballistics, bananarama, Banks, BassAlbert, bballin, BBQ°, BEHR, Ben-Teezee, ben58461, BetaBahamut, BigLøu, BiN Breezy, Bionic Sonic, Black Jinjo, Black Tyranno, blackanese, blackfox51, bladeofapollo, Blea Gelo, Blitzbolt_, Bloodynite, bobson, bontez, Boofy!, boss8, bottesini, Bounogun, Boxman X, Boxob., bry, Bubbleman_Nsider, Bwmat, B_AWAL, C!Z, CABC, Cactuar, caKe, capemkills, Ch3s, chaddd, CHAiN-ACE, chamberlin, cheezysnacks, chinesahh, chiZZLeSD, ChRed2AKrisp, Chu245, ChuDat, COCMakrobatix, Codi, CommonerCoffee, Comrade, CopyCat, coreygames, CouldRay, Coyn3Masta, CY, D'oH, D. Disciple, D.W., D20, dabuz, Dada2199, Daniel_the_Seraph, Dark Shifter, DarkDragoon, darkgirku, darkoblivion12, DaRkStRiDeR2, DavieBoy, Deathknight, Deez., defsithe, Depster, derfleurer, Desh, dhp1161, dieslow, DippnDots, DJ Nintendo, DJRome, Don Hudson, DonMagicWand, Doomblaze, Doomgaze, Dotcom, Duo55, DZhou, Engel, EPsilon933, Esca, Europhoria, Eval, F1ZZ, FatJackieChan, felipe1123, Finch, Finolimar, Fizzle_Boy, Flan, Fletch, Flo7891, fonzi21, Foxy, Frames, furiousduffmanx, FuRyOf1000SuNs, Fuzzyness, gallax, GamerGuitarist7, ganon543, Ganonsburg, Gecho, GenGastly, Gf2tw, GOTM, Hai Im Fearless, Handorin, harriettheguy, Hazygoose, Hey_its_YO, HolyChef, HomeMadeWaffles, Homeslice, hova, hubble, HUGQ, HugS™, HyperEnergy, I.B, Iliad, ILoveCelebi!!208, inditled, Infern Angelis, IrisKong, ithrowthings, J03, Jartravious, jber4life, JCaesar, JesiahTEG, JFox, JJROCKETS, jjvirus, Jkun, Jove, Juggleguy, Jugz, Just Sexed, JustinKamikaze, Kaffei, KageMurphy, Kaiber Kop, Kane Rave, Karibola, Kawaii Poyo, Keblerelf, Keitaro, Kels88, Ken_Y`, KevinLUU, Kewkky, kewl, KikoMePlease, KillerJawz, King Funk, kingtoon, kirbstir, Kitamerby, KnightMare516, KOkingpin, KoreanStriker93, Kosine, kr3wman, KrazyGlue, Kris121, Kyu Puff, L-J, Laijin, lain, lasershadow, Lawz., Leafplayer452, LegendOfZelda, lemonlau36, Levitibus, Life After Death, lil_b, Linguini, linksta888, Llumys, Lobos, LoganW, LuigiMax, Luju, M@v, macd, Mahie, Makenshi, MarkLoo, MarsFool!, Master Peach, masterdrenin, mathos, maximuspita, maXXXpower, meche313, Megachuk, MegaFEAR, Metà, metaivan, MHoltz, MikeMoney, Milos, Minnty, Mister Eric, mistermoo564, Mogwai, Mokumo, Nakamaru, nawnscents, Ndot, NeverKnowsBest, Nightshine, Ninja48, Noraa, Novice, Nuris, NusCirtap, omegawhitemage, OMG H4X, Omni, OmniOstrich, Ophy, orange/xd, otg, OTRU..., Owndizzl3r_Ownag3, P D, P. O. F., P.C. Jona, Pakman, Palpi, PB&J, pheX, phish-it, Pierce7d, Player-1, Poltergust, PosthumusES, Prawn, prOAPC, prog2112, Pyronic_Star, QDVS, Quaz, R3N0, Rain(ame), Raistlin, Ran Iji, Redd, RedHalberd, Remy LeBeau, Reneblade, Renth, rhan, RJsHouse, Rob_Gambino, Roche_CL, RockCrock, Rogue Pit, Roman., RoyTheFlamboyant, Rubyiris, Rukkiko, RyuKen!, S l o X, S.G., S.R. XXVII, Samus_Hats, Sanuzi, saviorslegacy, Schwa, Scidadle, ScottiePippen, Scrubs, seanthedonconsidine, Sephirothdotcom, sevenmorehills, Shadowball2, Shaky, Shinku, Shroomed, Skater Trainer, skaterbaj, Skler, SkylerSilver, Skylord, SleepyK, slikvik, SLIM, Smash Phoenix, smash64, SmashMac, smashmachine, Sn1per, solecalibur, Spam_arrows, SpartanX123, SPAWN, SpeedYoshi, Squidster, ssbmdemon18, stabbedbyanipple, stealth3654, Steven Jackson Action Jackson, Strawhat64, strawhats, Strong_Bad, Sumer, SUNG475, SuPeRbOoM, SwiftBass, Synchronize, SypherPhoenix, Takeover1806, Talwind, Tarmogoyf the Bloodedge, th0rn, The Atheist, The Cutting Edge, The Greater Leon, The Irish Mafia, The Sex Puma, theeboredone, thegreatkazoo, TheKneeOfJustice, TheManaLord, TheReflexWonder, thesage, Thespis, The_Doug, Thiocyanide, Tiersie, Tink, TKO727, TLMSheikant, Tomacawk, Toobz, trademark0013, TRC, Trikrome, tw1n, Twig, Twin_A, Tyranitarphantom, TyrantWolf, Tyserification, Uli, UltimateRazer, Umbreon, UncleGene, Underload, unknown522, Urban Menace, Utto, Vain, valgar2900, VaNz, Variola, VilNess, Vilt, vioxx1, Virusbluemage, Vro, Vts, weird_lion, wellwisherelf, Wikipedia, Woj, wool, Writer, xMPDx, xX4bdnXx, xyt, xzax1337, Y.b.M., YangFuShang, yellowroy, ynomrahnsguht, Yomi-no-Kuni, yoshq, Yubi, Yunior597, Zeborg, Zero Hour, Zero_Saber, Zoap, Zoro, Zro, zxeon, Zyx, _kadaj_, _Yes!_, ~*Voom*~

wait nvm ur right, there's only four people in there that know about counterpicking. plus take out cactuar and linguini, the best players ever and they got nothing!
for whatever it's worth, i've changed my opinion on the topic as well and would prefer 7 stages with stage striking.

serious debate with the tournament organizer overseeing it and making a judgment call >>>> poll for making the right decision.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
People really want this tournament to have Kongo Jungle and Brawl's gay striking system for Melee? Why dont we keep it real and do what has been done since forever. Let's keep things traditional.

pockyD

Smash Legend
what's the point of that?

the 'it's always been this way' argument is pretty useless, especially since genesis was run with stage striking and was very successful

_umbra_

Smash Champion
idk, I think stage striking's kinda cute ^_^

I do like the idea though. I can get rid of yoshi's story every set!

or stadium! Think of the possibilities!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom