• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* 4:: VGBootCamp Debut! Two days. Plank's sanity remaining: 50%

What type of stage set should Pound4 run

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
man can you guys shut up about genesis? go to the results thread if you had a problem with it, bash them in their face, don't make this thread suck because you won't say it to their face.

Lobos

Smash Master
lol good **** plank.....I'm bringing as many tvs as I can (1-2 at most lol)......even the minnie mouse tv im saving for my daughter lol which can record vhs

Also to note about food....I don't know the venue policies about food but some md/va smashers do cook food and sell it at big tournaments like at BTYF, along with 50cent sodas, water, etc. and the food varies from asain, hispanic, and american food....and popeyes >_> L O L depending who brings what...

we like to eat.....Just ask boss and candy.....nacker gets honorable mention

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
lol good **** plank.....I'm bringing as many tvs as I can (1-2 at most lol)......even the minnie mouse tv im saving for my daughter lol which can record vhs

Also to note about food....I don't know the venue policies about food but some md/va smashers do cook food and sell it at big tournaments like at BTYF, along with 50cent sodas, water, etc. and the food varies from asain, hispanic, and american food....and popeyes >_> L O L depending who brings what...

we like to eat.....Just ask boss and candy.....nacker gets honorable mention
yayyyyyyyyy

hey plank can crismas sell stickers and make you tshirts for pound 4
?

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Chad - I don't think any of the volunteer TOs were paid for anything. I wasn't at least, and I'm pretty sure Neal wasn't either. As far as the concession stand goes, I was talking to creepyfingers (the smasher running it) and there wasn't much profit. The profits that were made weren't seen by DBR so it's not as if they put that there to make money. The food staff had to rent out that kitchen for the days they used it and really didn't come out much on top. From what I understand they were expecting to sell a lot more drinks and chips rather than just burgers.

As far as money logistics go, plank already summed it up. The venue, stage, sound management/equipment, and gas reimbursement for staff that shuttled probably took the bulk of the venue fee. Yes, DBR probably had a little cash off the top after everything is said and done, but if anything it's well deserved.

Lovage

Smash Hero
if you punch lovage ill punch you in the vajyna, i love him enough to do it
<33
@Lovage because I want this tournament to be epic for everyone, not just the melee community. I don't even like Brawl very much and i'll probably leave running it to other people, but the venue here is 1.5x the size of the genesis venue and can easily accomodate for both games. Pound is a smash tournament series, not a melee tournament series :)
i guess :/

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
So how are people planning on getting the money together for this? Also, who is going by bus and who by plane?

I went to Pound 3 back when money wasn't so much of an issue for me. I'm just curious, what are you guys gonna do?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Probably the same way they got the $ for genesis and other big tournies. It's harder to make money these days but if everyone is like me back in the day I used to just blow it on everything. Now I just have to prioritize a little more. Less going out to eat, to the movies, etc, if I want to save for something big. Part of the reason I made it so far and on such a good date (mlk weekend) is cuz I wanted people to have tons of time to save money and to get max attendance. Although I do wish the economy would pick up some, I feel it really has lowered tourney turnouts in the past year...but if people prioritize well and really love smash, they find the money :)

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I know I can make this tourney, on the account that I have a number of bonuses coming up (particularly my two week Christmas bonus prior to the tourney and an inventory bonus).

There's only two issues: Transportation and housing. Transportation isn't hard to work out, in all honesty. I just gotta figure out whether I want to drive up there myself (which offers me a ****-ton of flexibility in the event that I wanna go around town and do random stuff aside from the tourney) or if I want to hop a plane or bus (which limits me to two places: to the venue and to my housing for said tourney). One does cost more money than the other in the long run and I need to take that into consideration.

Housing is probably the biggest issue for me. I don't know if anybody would be willing to house me or not and in the event that I can't find someone to house me, I gotta pony up for a hotel room. I dunno if I can find Florida peeps to co-op payments on those things, tho'.

Smooth Criminal

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
SO I found the missing cable for my recording setup. I also have a VCR that is not built into a TV.

Plank, do any of the TVs you picked up have built in VCRs?

If so I propose we record using VHS, which I can then get on my comp and upload. That way we have low maitanence recording, and I can up it can be upped systematically, even if not many people want to bring individual computers. I may not want to bring mine, it's really beat up, but I'll bring a TV with a VCR in it so I can record all the same.

Again, I prolly would only do this for melee TVs, I'm not going to spend hours upping vids of a community I'm not part of, and I wouldn't know the tags to identify people anyways. You could designate one more peerson to take care of VHS upping if this happens for brawl setups as well.\

Obviously anyone who wants to bring a direct recording setup could do so. Especially since VHS can't have commentary, but you could something designate pools televisions to be on TVs with VCRs, and no one commentates on those and early bracket videos. People won't have to move setups around to get matches recorded, we can just hook comps that can take commentary up to the main TVs.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I have ideas for recording which i havent fully decided on yet, but i'll let you know :D

I want almost all of the final bracket matches recorded.. ^^ (32 man)

I want to be able to post a bracket with each match and you click on it to get directed to the set on youtube. would be so sex

pockyD

Smash Legend
with 6 months to go, save $2 a day and you're easily set

don't get a coke with your happy meal, walk to the store instead of driving, skip that movie that you know will be terrible

or get a job for 2 weeks

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

don't get a coke with your happy meal, walk to the store instead of driving, skip that movie that you know will be terrible

or get a job for 2 weeks
Lmao.

Too true. I was planning on putting away twenty bucks a week anyway (after TO5).

Smooth Criminal

KoreanStriker93

Smash Apprentice

or get a job for 2 weeks
Is this including the price going up every month or whenever it does?

pockyD

Smash Legend
what does that even mean

it's obviously just a rough number, as everyone's costs will be different

for example, your location says you live in virginia, so your total cost will be pretty much the cost of the actual tournament, plus maybe a bit for gas, so i don't know why you're even bothering to think about it

$2.50 a month is an irrelevant amount

pick up that dime you see on the ground each day and you'll have enough, plus more to spare

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I have ideas for recording which i havent fully decided on yet, but i'll let you know :D

I want to be able to post a bracket with each match and you click on it to get directed to the set on youtube. would be so sex
If you need help at all let me know :D

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Probably the same way they got the $ for genesis and other big tournies. It's harder to make money these days but if everyone is like me back in the day I used to just blow it on everything. Now I just have to prioritize a little more. Less going out to eat, to the movies, etc, if I want to save for something big. Part of the reason I made it so far and on such a good date (mlk weekend) is cuz I wanted people to have tons of time to save money and to get max attendance. Although I do wish the economy would pick up some, I feel it really has lowered tourney turnouts in the past year...but if people prioritize well and really love smash, they find the money :)
Yeah, the recession hit me hard. I got laid off from my job of a year. I saved plenty of money and I got unemployment for a while. I can't get it now cuz I registered for college. I hope I get the fafsa, cuz if not...my savings will dwindle quickly if I don't find a job that can match up to my old one.

You see, the hardest part is convincing your fiancee that this tournament is more important than making a down payment on a good house.

But I MUST go to this...somehow. I'll just say it's a business trip for a potential employer. I did tell her we were going to be moving to Baltimore afterall. That's PERFECT :)!

Alukard

Smash Hero

thats ****!!!!

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer

I am actually working on software to do this. Tio files are in a very readable format, so I can probably have a program to build a simple html page based on the tio file and I will work on a way to fill in corresponding videos.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Plank I have software to record and splitters it records in real life time in various formats just hook up to laptop or comp. I'll bring it with me we will most likely test it at PSU tourneys in the fall also I might be able to bring some equipment to do commentary broadcast journalism major ftw :)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I am actually working on software to do this. Tio files are in a very readable format, so I can probably have a program to build a simple html page based on the tio file and I will work on a way to fill in corresponding videos.
sweet! let me know how that goes!

Lovage

Smash Hero
i think genesis got us all hyped enough. and this seems like the next "big one."
i'm gonna try hard to go to this, so should europe :)

edit: who wants to team O.o

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
**** right, and I am guaranteeing at LEAST 50 setups for EACH game!!!

I want EVERYONE who wants to play each other to have the time to play here. It's BS when people travel for huge tournaments and don't get to play hardly any of who they want to! I am really hoping we get enough setups that we can have all 3 games running all 3 days (at least friendlies for the games that arent being played that day, but hopefully crews and stuff!!) =]

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I got 2 TV's with systems. Just one Melee disc.

I'll pre-reg soon.
Sweet, I'm going to create a setup thread soon enough for people to post the setups they can bring. I'll be sure to link it here a ton of times so everyone can see =]

Skler

Smash Master
Hey NE, we should all take a van down or something.

or get Vanz to take us down.

Edit: You don't need rent-a-cops, I'll bring another cardboard master sword.

LLDL

Smash Hero
My falco was playing equal to Mogwai's when I fought him at revival. Now I'm about 3 times as technical and my mindgames have evolved :) Would u say I can get top ten :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom