• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predictions for Tier List v4 (Includes overview of entire cast)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
crashic you praise him like a god it's kinda ridiculous get off his ****
He's the top D3, and not a top player who is just really good and he doesn't no why, like a player with super natural skill (that be what Co18 is), but Seibrik offers us really indepth looks into our matchups. He's taken the D3 wario matchup from Wario's favor to 60-40 our favor, all by doing something slightly different. He's an intelligent player, I respect him, and point to him as the future of the D3 metagame. This is why I use him as an example so often. I brought up the MMs cause he's also my friend, and I want that boy to get the cash thus leading to gettin the ***.

Seibrik is to D3 as Mango was to Puffs 2 years ago. Look at how well other puffs are doing now compared to pre Mango.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The landing hitbox has like a -9 frame advantage or something like that, meaning tether grabbers technically can't shieldgrab it, and Yoshi in particular you can attack before he can shieldgrab.
Only an idiot would attempt to punish the turtle with a shieldgrab. Its range is too long.
Most tethergrabbers have an option to hi you though.
Marth can Ftilt for example.
Samus I believe can Dtilt.

Really shieldgrabbing is only effective on moves with little range.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ugh about this whole stupid "shield camping beats Ike idea". Who ever first thought of it clearly wasn't thinking. It's perfectly beatable.

Simply stand back just outside of dash grab range. You can shield all you like, it ain't going to do anything except weaken your own shield. Mean while, Ike can use Dash Attack whenever he wants against you: it outranges any grab you can do from a standstill. You would have to take a noticeable running start to grab him. If you attempt to do anything, you are no longer "shield camping". Meanwhile Ike can say, bait for a grab and punish it with a jab. It doesn't "auto-win" against Ike. Your best case scenario is that you set up a gambling situation...against one of the, if not the, scariest punishers in the game. Smart.

There is also the small fact it's never, EVER, been done before. Don't you think people would like to beat San or Kirk? Don't you think someone would have tried this by now if it actually had the slightest chance of working? It doesn't happen, and quite frankly even if it did somehow in an alternate reality worked: it doesn't matter. It isn't used, you can use it for placing characters in a tier list, much like Mario's ATs that nobody uses. They sound amazing (forcing recovering opponents into heavy lag for grabbing the ledge? Do want!), but unless it's used it's simply theorycrafting about how usable it actually is. Show me one, single video were an opponent shield camps an Ike and wins. Where he lands one hit and spends the rest of the game shielding.

Oh wait, you can't can you?

Grow up and give me a break already. This is suppose to be logical debates, not some little kids in a corner plugging their ears and going "LALALA I CAN'T HEEEEEEAR YOU! IKE SUCKS SHIELD BEATS EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM LALALALAAAAAAAAA!"

Besides, if that actually worked: according to the DK frame data he would only be a few spots above Ike. Shielding camping would, according to your logic, work against him as well. D3 wouldn't be looking so hot outside of his CG. Wario could be potentially in for some trouble. if it wasn't for his aerial movement speed. Bowser would be in trouble. Link would have 0-100 match-ups straight cross the board, as well as Ganondorf. Zelda would be in trouble. Toon Link would have some issues. Charizard would be fairly hurt. G&W would only be able to use his Dtilt, Dash Attack, Up B and Jab safely. Maybe pull out the occasional Ftilt. Bair/Nair may or may not work depending on how weak the shield was and when he landed.

I think I've made my point clear. Get out of your dreamland.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
He's the top D3, and not a top player who is just really good and he doesn't no why, like a player with super natural skill (that be what Co18 is), but Seibrik offers us really indepth looks into our matchups. He's taken the D3 wario matchup from Wario's favor to 60-40 our favor, all by doing something slightly different. He's an intelligent player, I respect him, and point to him as the future of the D3 metagame. This is why I use him as an example so often. I brought up the MMs cause he's also my friend, and I want that boy to get the cash thus leading to gettin the ***.

Seibrik is to D3 as Mango was to Puffs 2 years ago. Look at how well other puffs are doing now compared to pre Mango.
this seibrik is no where near mango, the two aren't comparable by any means whatsoever.:laugh:

I don't think it takes supernatural skill to play d3 or brawl in general.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
really he's not going back?
I think he just wants money seeing as that's the only reason he plays brawl...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
really he's not going back?
I think he just wants money seeing as that's the only reason he plays brawl...
Melee HAS been out for years, and he dominated it the majority of its life, save Mang0. He COULD genuinely be tired of it for the time being.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Donkey Kong has a lot more mobility than Ike, and his long ranged B-air can be fastfalled to be decently safe on block. His Up-B is capable of shield pokes, and the Giant Punch is also safe on block. Not to mention Down-B

D3 is in fact overrated, since the ONLY reason he's any good is the CG leading to edgeguards. His ENTIRE strategy is in fact shieldcamping due to how limited he is.

Wario's D-air is stupidly safe on block since it autocancels, and the Chomp is also extremely versatile due to being a lingering grab.

Bowser as far as I'm concerned is mediocre, but unlike Ike he has superior mobility, better out of shield options and an aerial grab making him clearly better.

Zelda is terrible. No approach. Basically worthless camping. All KO moves are situational. She does have safe KO moves, but that's it for her.

Toon Link can actually camp, and has Z-air, so he's fine.

Charizard is also mediocre. Basically only firebreath is really safe on block. Rock Smash is sometimes okay. Everything else about him is unspectacular except for his shieldgrab.

All of G&W's Smashes, B-air, N-air, crossup D-air, and other stuff is very safe due to the lack of ending lag. He has a LOT of safe options on block, which is the opposite of Ike.

The reason why Ike is terrible is he can't camp, he doesn't have very good mobility, his FEW options that can be considered remotely safe are all limited in application. All of his weakness also means he has next to no reliable offensive pressure. He's one of the most linear characters in the game by far, only somewhat held up by his decent Jab and F-air. You can powershield a lot of his stuff on reaction because it's slow. Or wait for him to move and approach at that rate and he really can't threaten you from a neutral position.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
D3 is in fact overrated, since the ONLY reason he's any good is the CG leading to edgeguards. His ENTIRE strategy is in fact shieldcamping due to how limited he is.
He also has an incredible Bair, hugely disjoinged U/Dair, and ftilt. And he has the longest grab range in the game which makes it impossible for some characters to get around.

Charizard is also mediocre. Basically only firebreath is really safe on block. Rock Smash is sometimes okay. Everything else about him is unspectacular except for his shieldgrab.
Rock smash is awesome. It can do 45% damage on one hit and around 60 when comboed into Usmash. Dtilt is safe on block as is Rocksmash when spaced properly against most characters I believe. And if they don't PS it their shield gets wrecked.

All of G&W's Smashes, B-air, N-air, crossup D-air, and other stuff is very safe due to the lack of ending lag. He has a LOT of safe options on block, which is the opposite of Ike.
Ummmm... His smashes are safe?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
He also has an incredible Bair, hugely disjoinged U/Dair, and ftilt. And he has the longest grab range in the game which makes it impossible for some characters to get around.
He has the longest non tether grab.
The longest grab range goes to Olimar.

Rock smash is awesome. It can do 45% damage on one hit and around 60 when comboed into Usmash. Dtilt is safe on block as is Rocksmash when spaced properly against most characters I believe. And if they don't PS it their shield gets wrecked.
rocksmash does several hits, the main hit is typically around30% iirc

LOL!
If they are safe on block, its probably Luigi <_<

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
That's not true at all. That's very, very old. That strategy would get us killed against Marth. We aren't all about grabs. We have a very versitle movset that is built very well, each move with serveral purposes.
Let's look at downsmash.

Okay, we've got the obvious things every downsmash does for every charecter.
1. kill move
2. punish rolls

however, it can also
1. Set up for an uptilt, as it puts the opponent right above our head at certain percentages.
2. Put the opponent above us, a very good position for D3, since our upair is amazing, as is our uptilt.
3. allows us to start juggling and cause pressure as they attempt to land safely.

This is just one example of how versatile our moveset is.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Zeldspazz you really don't understand how much better Sheik is than Zelda. Rob and DDD are both easier matchups for Sheik than for Zelda.

Also Peirce, I would really like to know why you think Zelda should be in F tier. I keep hearing a lot of theory crafters say this but they have yet to provide any real reasons.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
His aerials are all mediocre onstage due to a lack of mobility and existent ending lag. His F-tilt is alright, but not amazing either. It's unsafe most of the time if not spaced at maximum range.

Let's look at downsmash.

Okay, we've got the obvious things every downsmash does for every charecter.
1. kill move
2. punish rolls
And let me tell you why it's bad.

It really doesn't start up that fast. It also has terrible ending lag, and is pretty mediocre in general against the characters who space in the air.

All of his options besides shieldgrabbing are pretty mediocre in terms of safety on stage. Fortunately for him his shieldgrab is godly and he has a chaingrab...

G&W's Smashes are all safe on block. Up-smash has like a negative 8 advantage on shield. D-smash is like negative 10. F-smash is like negative 11.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
His aerials are all mediocre onstage due to a lack of mobility and existent ending lag. His F-tilt is alright, but not amazing either. It's unsafe most of the time if not spaced at maximum range.
Ehh, no. Our aerials are safe in almost any position.
Bair spam beats out Wario, so you know that bair is an amazing aerial. Can any other player say that?
Down air is easily one of the best camping moves in the game. Comes out fast, ends fast, long lasting hitbox, and will outspace everything you got. Same for upair, but you can't camp with an upair lol.
Forward air also comes out relatively fast.
Metaknight has a lack of mobility, to a huge amount, that certinally doesn't make his air game lacking, now does it

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ehh, no. Our aerials are safe in almost any position.
Bair spam beats out Wario, so you know that bair is an amazing aerial. Can any other player say that?
B-air is fine minus the fact that DDD can't realistically space except offstage.
Down air is easily one of the best camping moves in the game. Comes out fast, ends fast, long lasting hitbox, and will outspace everything you got. Same for upair, but you can't camp with an upair lol.
Yeah, it lasts long. Just space from the side and you can punish it.

Forward air also comes out relatively fast.
Too slow. Too laggy. Not good enough except offstage.

Metaknight has a lack of mobility, to a huge amount, that certinally doesn't make his air game lacking, now does it
Metaknight can always Tornado to say "**** you" to pokes. He's also a much smaller target, and has less ending lag than DDD.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Other than Nair,a ll of his aerials haveno landing lag provided they finish which is easy due to his multijump ability, they are all quite quick to finish and have great range.

Ftilt is safe when spaced properly.
Since that is what yo are supposed to do. Space properly.
The longest ranged attack in the game is unsafe when not spacedproperly.
THat should be a clue toy you.
His Smashes are all safe on block. Up-smash has like a negative 8 advantage on shield. D-smash is like negative 10. F-smash is like negative 11.
The bolded is wrong for several reasons.
Here are three.

1.If it is negative, that means your opponent can act that many frames before you, and many characters have a attack that be used to punish you afterwards.

2.If a move is negative in frames, it has to be a low number, at least -3 in negative frames in order to be able to shield or dodge afterwards.

3.If a move is negative in frames, it also needs a high amount of range. Hence hwy Ganondorf's Dtilt is safe on block even though its -9 frames on block. THat also includes if the knockback is high.

4.None of the smashes are safe because many characters have a poke that can be used within that point in time.
And due to how slow his smashes are, its not hard at all to powershield and punish afterwards since powershielding removes knockback

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Other than Nair,a ll of his aerials haveno landing lag provided they finish which is easy due to his multijump ability, they are all quite quick to finish and have great range.

Ftilt is safe when spaced properly.
Since that is what yo are supposed to do. Space properly.
The longest ranged attack in the game is unsafe when not spacedproperly.
THat should be a clue toy you.
He has bad mobility. He's also a huge target, and his attacks may have low ending lag after the hitbox, but they all last too long.

The bolded is wrong for several reasons.
Here are three.

1.If it is negative, that means your opponent can act that many frames before you, and many characters have a attack that be used to punish you afterwards.

2.If a move is negative in frames, it has to be a low number, at least -3 in negative frames in order to be able to shield or dodge afterwards.

3.If a move is negative in frames, it also needs a high amount of range. Hence hwy Ganondorf's Dtilt is safe on block even though its -9 frames on block. THat also includes if the knockback is high.

4.None of the smashes are safe because many characters have a poke that can be used within that point in time.
And due to how slow his smashes are, its not hard at all to powershield and punish afterwards since powershielding removes knockback
Wow, you are just so wrong.

Firstoff, there are literally no 5 frame attacks except for Wolf's F-smash which can punish G&W's F-smash. The OOS advantage for G&W's F-smash is negative 5. His Up-smash has a negative 1 advantage OOS. The SHIELD advantage for F-smash is -12 as I stated (whoops, said -11), and -8 for Up-smash. Factor in shield drop lag after that which is 7 frames.

Also, G&W's Smashes are very difficult to powershield on reaction due to the charge releases being very fast (except for F-smash).

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
B-air is fine minus the fact that DDD can't realistically space except offstage.
Yeah, it lasts long. Just space from the side and you can punish it.

Too slow. Too laggy. Not good enough except offstage.

Metaknight can always Tornado to say "**** you" to pokes. He's also a much smaller target, and has less ending lag than DDD.
Wow. Yeah, I'm not even going to respond to 'bair is only good off stage.' That's just so wrong. Its are main spacing move ALL TOGETHER!

Space from the side, and by the time you try to hit me, I can bair you. There is barely any lag on upair and downair.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wow. Yeah, I'm not even going to respond to 'bair is only good off stage.' That's just so wrong. Its are main spacing move ALL TOGETHER!

Space from the side, and by the time you try to hit me, I can bair you. There is barely any lag on upair and downair.
Correction: There is little time from the VERY END of the hitbox to neutral state. You forget, King DDD is a big target, and his aerials have long duration.

EDIT: Checked the Frame data for G&W, F-smash is actually -19, but the pushback is extremely high. D-smash is -14. U-smash is -9.

Regardless, you really can't punish them out of shield very easily. Their advantage is greater than negative 20, and they have massive pushback.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?

It has its uses onstage, but I'll have to agree that offstage is definitely where it shines brightest.

Onstage it's pretty unsafe if it's not being used to brick wall.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
HUNGRYBOX!!!!!
I wuv Florida Smash <3
But she you were arguing that Mango has redefined the puff metagame and that there are tons of puffs doing well in tournament. Hungrybox is an exception imo seeing as how he is also one of the top 10 players in the u.s. If you can't name any besides him it proves that you don't know what your talking about

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Correction: There is little time from the VERY END of the hitbox to neutral state. You forget, King DDD is a big target, and his aerials have long duration.

EDIT: Checked the Frame data for G&W, F-smash is actually -19, but the pushback is extremely high. D-smash is -14. U-smash is -9.

Regardless, you really can't punish them out of shield very easily. Their advantage is greater than negative 20, and they have massive pushback.
It's clear you're not a competitive player, and a high-level one at that. From what you're saying (and how you're saying it), DDD should be D tier or worse.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
This tier list pierce concocted is pretty bad. Zelda would never be F tier. Diddy isn't as good as snake and neither is ics. The only two ic mains who ever place high are meep and lain. Snake is an ic counter. Only two who belong in s tier are snake and mk. Mario isn't better then or as good as luigi and is still low tier.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's clear you're not a competitive player, and a high-level one at that. From what you're saying (and how you're saying it), DDD should be D tier or worse.
King DDD is A tier. His huge grab range, chaingrab, and edgeguarding warrants it.

He's overrated as long as he's S tier material.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
D3's grab game is the main reason he's as high as he is. Then it's his weight, recovery, bair and utilt.

Everything else on him is painfully mediocre. He's like Falco in that a few great attributes outweigh his many abysmal ones.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Okay so to follow up on what I said earlier:

First off I realize that your list doesn't account for rankings within tiers. My first objection was that ZSS should be above everyone in your C tier, so since you didn't actually order it I can't really argue it. She should also be above GaW, seeing as how she has a much better matchup spread and thus better tourney viability. In your list, I would place her at the bottom of B tier.

However, Pierce I think your writeup shows a pretty bad lack of understanding of the character, that seems to be pretty common with many higher level players in general.

First off, you write dsmash is what makes her good, which will clue any ZS player into the fact that you don't know much about her metagame at all. That move is used to punish poor spacing, laggy moves, dodges, and certain recoveries. It is by no means spammed, and its utility can range from really really high to absolutely useless depending on the matchup.

Her overall speed is some of the best in the game, if not the best. She has excellent movespeed, as well as amazing speed on the ground and in the air.

You don't really mention her aerial game at all, which is among the best in the game. With sizable disjoints and good speed on all her aerials but dair, as well as easy damage wracking combos from nair and uair, this is the core of her gameplay. Her ground game works to support this aerial focus, as her two main tilts and best ground moves (utilt and dtilt) both put the opponent in a perfect position for aerial chases.

Her side b is an amazing move that, like dsmash, is very matchup dependent.

Basically what I want to stress is that with her combination of amazing speed, amazing range, good comboability/damage wracking, and good power for a lightweight, she has the tools to deal with every matchup and has more tourney potential than the rest of C tier as well as GaW and possibly a few other characters in your B tier. However, I'll agree with anyone who says she needs to be proven more, and for that reason I think that for now top of your C tier would be justified.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
D3's grab game is the main reason he's as high as he is. Then it's his weight, recovery, bair and utilt.

Everything else on him is painfully mediocre. He's like Falco in that a few great attributes outweigh his many abysmal ones.
Dthrows sets up for techchases for non-cg'able characters, his dair/uair are still good damage rackers, he kills as well as he survives being killed, and as you say, his grab damage output is exceptional... His whole game can consist of pummels and bthrows and STILL be effective, but good D3s don't rely on such punishable and predictable patterns.

D3's overall strengths and weaknesses outrank other heavy characters' strengths and weaknesses... He is in NO way a mediocre character, otherwise he would lose out to non-chaingrabbable characters more than he would win, and win against chaingrabbable characters more than he would lose.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
But she you were arguing that Mango has redefined the puff metagame and that there are tons of puffs doing well in tournament. Hungrybox is an exception imo seeing as how he is also one of the top 10 players in the u.s. If you can't name any besides him it proves that you don't know what your talking about
And you don't think that Hungrybox would be doing so much better if it wasn't for Mango? Hungrybox got great, he wasn't some natural born talent like Mango.
Mango is leaps and bounds above everyone, not just puffs right now, and Hungrybox is catching up, but still is no Mango. You are honestly going to deny that Mango is important to the Melee metagame??

And just because Darc, Hungrybox, Raistlin, and Mango are the only puffs on top play doesn't mean anything. Mango still changed the way puff is played by far. Mew2King once said in a thread (I forget which one) No one had any idea how gay Jigglypuff was until Mango showed up. Just because there are only 4 great Pikachu mains out there right now in Brawl doesn't mean that Anther isn't important to the Brawl pikachu metagame, and it doesn't discredit Anther's work in the rise of Pikapika. Defining a metagame doesn't mean making that character top tier and making all the players as good as you, it means defining how that character is to be played in the game, which Mango did for Puff, thus the rise(ing pound) of puff.

Tien2500

Smash Lord

Up Smash doesn't push far enough away to avoid punishment from most characters. Fsmash will unless the opponents have exceptional range. Dsmash I'm not sure.

But you're ignoring the fact that shielding is not the only option. The moves are slow enough that you can powersheild them on reaction which means your opponent has more time to react and stays in range. Any they can also spot dodge and of course just counter with a quicker move.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
You don't seem to understand that G&W's GODLY charge releases destroy "powershield on reaction". Not to mention, G&W's usmash can't be punished on shield except in few instances. It has enough pushback (the pushback is seriously pretty much the same as Fsmash) and AMAZING shieldstun with low enough cooldown to be practically unpunishable. Note that both pushback AND shield stun increase on charge, which makes charging his Usmash amazing.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
Crashic why do you play brawl over melee? I'm just wandering. it's off topic but please answer

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
D3's overall strengths and weaknesses outrank other heavy characters' strengths and weaknesses... He is in NO way a mediocre character, otherwise he would lose out to non-chaingrabbable characters more than he would win, and win against chaingrabbable characters more than he would lose.
Even without the CG, his grab game is insane.

And the pattern is pretty consistent. Most of the characters that he can't CG, he loses against. Most of the characters he CAN CG, he wins against. If he could CG Olimar or Falco, those matchups would be MUCH better than they are, possibly his favor.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
It has its uses onstage, but I'll have to agree that offstage is definitely where it shines brightest.

Onstage it's pretty unsafe if it's not being used to brick wall.
That was Mew2King's style of play, to brick wall with bair on stage.

Crashic why do you play brawl over melee? I'm just wandering. it's off topic but please answer
I would play Melee, I have no problem with it what so ever. The only thing is, the only character that feels right in my hands isn't realistically viable. I'll play Melee friendlies any day, but Donkey Kong, even in the hands of Rock Crock, isn't going to win a major tournament sadly, because of basic faults like his shield, and I'm not going to shell out big bucks to go to a tournament I never have the hope of winning in my life.
I love all the smash games, it just so happens that I happen to love an non-viable character in Melee, there for am forced to play only on a casual level. I'm not a tier *** or anything, I'm not going to pick based on tiers, I'm going to pick, and if my odds are stacked heavily against me, then I'm not going to enter it competitively. I'm not going to try to main Roll in Marvel Vs. Capcom simply because she's the only character I can use, because that would be pointless.
(the character is Donkey Kong btw)

And the pattern is pretty consistent. Most of the characters that he can't CG, he loses against. Most of the characters he CAN CG, he wins against. If he could CG Olimar or Falco, those matchups would be MUCH better than they are, possibly his favor.
We are never going to grab a great Olimar.
And I expect all of his bad match ups to get significantly better after Pound 4 ;)

Top Bottom