• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
^
This is true, Shadic. Someone the size of YL fits him much better.

So what's the progress thus far? Still planning the moveset before anything else? Because I might be able to assist with that here and there.

Getsuei-Moon

Smash Cadet
You can't vertex models onto models. :/
And the bills hat worked because he replaced the jiggly that had a separate hat model.

Also, what's wrong with the cape he has now? It could move with the wind if someone animated it to.
Ah okay thanks for clearing that up and there isn't anything wrong with the cape now its just some people want it to move when Geno does. Its fine to me, the cape moving is my last concern about the model.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
^
This is true, Shadic. Someone the size of YL fits him much better.

So what's the progress thus far? Still planning the moveset before anything else? Because I might be able to assist with that here and there.
It's finals week, so I'm kind of busy.

I've ported a few movement animations, but not much else.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
for a cape, i personally think marth would be easier to hack into geno than ganon would be

it's probably a stretch, but a working cape would be cool.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's been a while...

I'm pretty sure I'm done with Brawl hacking for good, unless someone comes out with a new tool that makes it much easier to mod things using a computer alone, without actually needing to run tests in the game itself.

It looks like this project is starting up again. Therefore...

Toddj, I would like to nominate you as the new project head for Cosmic Geno, since you seem to have the best understanding of the spirit in which he was built. Accept or decline?

Vigilante

Smash Lord
My oppinion is that this should be made with Project M standards in mind. I know I oersonally refuse to play any other versions of the game. I however like your moveset, I had made a text plan of a Geno before that looked very similar before.

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
@ Jedi: Smash-Ball-Buster is referring to Square (Square Enix), the company who created Geno and now refuses to allow him to be put in any games.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so anyways... I guess Toddj's not answering, so whatever, I guess Cosmic's still my project. Though testing is an issue, since I don't have access to a Wii.

I've been making some pretty nice animations based off of Geno's original sprites, and they look great in BrawlBox. Does anyone know if the latest version of BrawlBox (0.63d) is an accurate portrayal of how the animations look in-game? Because some of the animations really stretch the possibilities of stretching and shrinking parts of the model, and I'd hate to have them go all wacky in-game.

I'm changing Cosmic Geno's F-Tilt to... ROCKET PUNCH! He grows a new hand after firing off the old one. The effect is pretty cool.

A replica of Geno's standard attack stance. The 'rod' will be used for the Geno Beam and the Star Gun.

And, my personal favorite. This will be his Final Smash, the Geno Flash...

I don't plan on changing Cosmic Geno's playing style too much, except perhaps changing the mechanism of his Up-B (Geno Boost) to more closely resemble its original. I'm thinking of making it boost his attack power temporarily if used on the ground, and also function as a recovery move in the air (and put him into freefall). The aerial version will also boost his attacks, but only if he lands successfully on the ground without being hit (grabbing a ledge won't count).

Also down-smash will be a double rocket-punch. Can't have too many rocket punches, right?
Most of the other changes will be cosmetic, with maybe a few slight adjustments. I'll probably make him a bit quicker too, at least on the ground (I think I'll check his original stats and compare them to Mario's, then adjust his speed accordingly). Not sure about falling speed though.

Any thoughts? Or testers? Shadic, you're welcome to my animations, if you're willing to tell me how well they work in-game.

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
I will test whatever you need me to test, just provide me the files and I'll make photos

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
PM me anything and I can check it out in game. Project M is my top priority at the moment, but I could take a few shots for you easily enough.

Good job with the animations, I'll have to see them in motion. Also you may want to try using Open Brawlbox for animation as well. It has a rotation gadget for bones that can make animation substantially easier, depending on what you do. However, I've heard that it can sometimes not save enough MotionEtc.pac files correctly, so you may want to extract and work on animation files individually.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Good lord new progress! Awesome stuff

I personally like how much Fighter Geno weighs(how quick he falls) and his ability to combo, combining that with Cosmic Geno's moveset would be epic

caninepikmin432

Smash Rookie
am i able to download some geno textures from the brawl vault, then use them as alternate costumes for geno?

EDIT: Also, i don't know if this has been taken care of already, but the texture for cosmic geno in the first post, that download is broken. is that texture anywhere else?

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Good lord new progress! Awesome stuff

I personally like how much Fighter Geno weighs(how quick he falls) and his ability to combo, combining that with Cosmic Geno's moveset would be epic
It's a possibility. Cosmic kind of needed to be floaty to make proper use of the Geno Boost, but with that move changed to a timed attack increase, it might not be as important. We'll see how he plays once I've got a full moveset for him.

Werewolf25

Smash Rookie
Hey, will the public release of Project M have any impact on this then? I'm open to test one with the other on my Wii if anyone wants. The only public build I can find is ancient history.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I've been stupidly busy due to Project M stuff. Now the demo is out, I'll have a bit more time to throw towards this if I feel like it.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
So hey, I've been putting together this new version of Cosmic Geno. I still can't test it, but if anyone wants to try him out, they are welcome to do so and post comments, particularly on the moves labeled "Included". I could use all the information I could get.

So here's a list of planned changes:

Basic Attacks
A - Finger Shot: A 2-hit attack. First, Geno pistol-whips with his hand, then fires 3 rapid bullets. By holding down the A button, he should continue to fire bullets indefinitely. (Included)
FTilt - Rocket Punch: The fist should explode a short distance away - hitting with the explosion does extra damage. (Included)
DTilt - Ground Burst: Geno withdraws his hand, turning his arm into a gun, and blasts the ground, sending opponents upwards. (Included)
UTilt - Hand Cannon: Geno fires his gun upwards. (Not made yet)
FSmash - Double Punch/Star Gun. Hitting A right before the punches launch causes Geno to use the slower, but more powerful Star Gun instead (Double Punch included, Star Gun incomplete)
DSmash - Double Punch in opposite directions. (Included but not 100% complete)
USmash - Star Gun: A powerful blast of energy upwards. (Not made yet)
Dash Attack - Spin Jump Punch: Based off of the Bowyer scene. (Included)
NAir - Orbital Spin: Geno spins around, hitting enemies (Incomplete)
FAir - Rocket Rush: Unchanged (Not included)
BAir - Triple Blast: Pretty much the same except the hand changes into a gunstick. (Incomplete)
UAir - Star Gun: Same as before (Not made yet)
DAir - Double Punch at the ground, the fists explode and propel Geno upwards slightly. (Incomplete)

Throws
FThrow - Hand Gun Throw: Geno places his hand gun to the opponent's head and blows them away. (Not made yet)
BThrow - Rocket Off: Geno spins around, then fires off his hands while still holding the opponent. The hands explode, sending them away. (Not made yet)
DThrow - Star Shower: Geno throws the opponent to the ground and blasts them with his Star Gun. Heavy damage but low knockback (Not made yet)
UThrow - Star Sender: Based on the way Mario would send the Star Pieces into the sky in SMRPG, Geno holds up his hands as the opponent spins around above him, catches them, then sends them way up high. This will be a very unusual throw move. It will take about 3 seconds to finish, deal only 3 damage, and leave Geno vulnerable for a fair amount of time afterward, but will have tremendous knockback growth and be an efficient kill move if the opponent has high damage. If not, or in a team match, they will probably get a chance to counter the attack. This is to prevent spamming the attack, which would get really annoying since it has such a long animation. (Included, though needs adjustment)

Specials
Neutral B - Geno Beam has a new animation with a gunstick. Function should be unchanged though with a few slight timing changes, but the program was edited significantly so there might be bugs. It should work in the air now, too. (Included)
Side B - Geno Whirl: No significant changes planned. If there's a way to make it a real projectile without sacrificing it's current timed-hit mechanism, that would be nice, but it's not too important. There might be a way of improving the graphic though - maybe editing the boomerang trail? (Incomplete)
Up B - Geno Boost: Geno raises his hands up, giving him a temporary boost to his attack power. The animation must complete in order to achieve the boost. Also considering an idea to give him a timed-hit defense boost by temporarily healing damage, then returning it to its original level over time. In the air, it will function as a normal recovery move, and will boost his attack/defense during the landing lag animation. (Incomplete)
Down B - Geno Blast: No significant changes planned, aside from either making it slightly slower, or making the charge-up much more noticable. (Incomplete)
Final Smash - Geno Flash: Geno turns into a cannon and fires a huge blast of energy that explodes, covering a huge area but concentrating most of the damage in the center of the blast. May or may not include a charging period and other pyrotechnics prior to the main explosion. (Incomplete)

Physics
I'm experimenting with adjusting his running and falling speed to make him behave a little closer to a mix between Fighter and the old Cosmic Geno. We'll see how it works.

Latest build: Released 2/13 11:45 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?2ad1dubx3dhmxva

Warning: Special moves are incomplete and may cause freezes in this version. Use them at your own risk.

mariodk

Smash Ace
So hey, I've been putting together this new version of Cosmic Geno. I still can't test it, but if there's anyone out there who could try it out and offer comments and/or post a video so I can see how he plays, including close-ups of the rocket punches, gunsticks, and the Final Smash cannon, that would be helpful. It's nowhere near a complete build and is probably full of bugs, I just want to see if the animations work and the attacks behave more or less like they're supposed to.

http://www.mediafire.com/?u4377476hoarj4g

So here's a list of changes, or what they're supposed to be:

A - Finger Shot has a new animation. It should consist of 2 parts - first Geno pistol-whips with his hand, then fires 3 bullets, which can be repeated indefinitely. I think I might have left in the shiny bullet by mistake, but whatever.
FTilt - Rocket Punch: The fist should explode a short distance away - hitting with the explosion does extra damage.
DTilt - Ground Burst: Similar to the previous version, but with a new animation. Geno withdraws his hand, turning his arm into a gun, and blasts the ground.
UTilt - Currently unchanged, will probably be Hand Cannon upwards.
FSmash - Double Punch/Star Gun. Hitting A right before the punches launch causes Geno to use the slower, but more powerful Star Gun instead.
DSmash - Double Punch in opposite directions. The fists should explode but I didn't do that part yet.
USmash - Currently unchanged, will probably be a Star Gun upwards.
Dash Attack - Spin Jump Punch: Based off of the Bowyer scene.
NAir - Orbital Spin: New animation, function unchanged.
FAir - Rocket Rush: Unchanged.
BAir - Triple Blast: Pretty much the same except the hand changes into a gunstick.
UAir - Currently unchanged.
DAir - Double Punch at the ground, the fists explode and propel Geno upwards slightly.
Neutral B - Geno Beam has a new animation with a gunstick. Function should be unchanged though with a few slight timing changes, but the program was edited significantly so there might be bugs. It should work in the air now, too.
Side B - Geno Whirl: Currently unchanged
Up B - Geno Boost: Incomplete. The animation is different but the function should be the same for now.
Down B - Geno Blast: Like Geno Beam, function should be the same except for some changes in timing (the delay before firing has been increased slightly) but bugs are likely. Has a new animation, too.
Final Smash - Geno Flash: Function unchanged but the cannon should be visible, if it forms correctly.
one problem As soon as I pick Geno/toonlink on the CSS, the wii freezes

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
My game froze also when I pick him in the CSS. But it's strange because it's not the kind of freeze that make that beeeeeep sound, when I choose the character it takes like 2 seconds then I can't move the cursor, but the music is still playing. I tried selecting fast the character and the stage to see if it worked, but froze anyway.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Indigo, thanks for the updates!

I tested the new file, but it still freezes the game, like before!

when you select Geno, on the css, everything keep working, exect the Wii and controls buttons. The music keep playing but you can't send any command to Wii.

I don't know exactly how this hacks work, but when the problem is the file size, it gives the beep sound. So, I think, the problem isn't the file size.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Indigo, thanks for the updates!

I tested the new file, but it still freezes the game, like before!

when you select Geno, on the css, everything keep working, exect the Wii and controls buttons. The music keep playing but you can't send any command to Wii.

I don't know exactly how this hacks work, but when the problem is the file size, it gives the beep sound. So, I think, the problem isn't the file size.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Urg... It's probably the PSA file size then, I'll have to completely redo the whole thing, I expect. Tell you what, it's not so significantly changed that just using the new animations would cause freezes... oh wait, but they're attached to new things. Uh, listen, could you just try it with only the motion and model files (FitToonLinkMotionEtc.pac and FitToonLink00.pac) and no moveset at all? It'll be messed up as anything gameplay-wise, but at least it'll show if the attack animations work properly, and that's what my main concern was.

(It might also freeze if you use his third A attack or hold down his B move. I reduced the animations I wasn't using to 1 frame to save file size.)

Although I've never heard of a freeze quite like that. If it's freezing before the game even starts, I have no idea what it could be if not the file size. Unless it's the model or something. Care to experiment a bit more?

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Indigo,

I tested like you said and the game not freezes anymore! I used only FitToonLinkMotionEtc.pac and FitToonLink00.pac files. The animations are working too!

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
I did the same thing as necro toad and the game didn't freeze, but I can't see if the animations have any problem because the attacks are the same from toon link but with geno's animations, so it's kinda messed up. I also found that if you charge the neutral B to the end, the games freezes, but it's probably because of the lack of the other file.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so far so good then. It might be a while before I rebuild the moveset, though. In the meantime, can someone take a picture of his FTilt (Rocket Punch) and any attack that uses the gunstick? Also, his Final Smash during the cannon part (should be the start-up, before attacking). I just want to see if the animations look like they're supposed to.

RedSoul77

Smash Rookie
Some Pics:

Forward Tilt:

Neutral B:

Side Smash:

Down Smash:

Final Smash:

The new animations look good by the way. This looks like it'll be great once the PSA is done.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Nice... The cannon looks a little bit off, but the rest is just the way they're supposed to be. All right, I'll get back to the moveset.

Hmm... Has anyone worked out a way to make a true timer yet? The old method was to reduce a variable at the beginning of every action but I was wondering if there was an easier or more accurate method, possibly involving the use of a concurrent infinite loop...?

Edit: I'll update the post at the top of the page whenever I come out with a new build. Don't expect any kind of stability, though.

I made a new up-throw. Check it out!

RedSoul77

Smash Rookie
The game still froze when I tried the new Geno you put up. It seems to freeze a few seconds after you pick him, giving you just enough time to get to the stage select screen or move your cursor over somebody else.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't make any sense. I started with Toon Link's .pac and worked from there, without even changing any offsets. If it's just the moveset and not the filesize, how could that cause a freeze before the game even starts?

You know, this is probably why it's not a good idea to try and work on this without being able to run my own tests. Is anyone here able to figure out what's going on?

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
I don't really know much of PSA making, but if you could, you should try copying or remaking into the original .pac file of Toon Link just 1/4 of your Geno moveset and make people test if the games freezes. If it doesn't, you copy another quarter of the moveset and so on until you find out which portion is making the game freeze

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Except that it's apparently freezing before the game actually starts. That shouldn't happen unless there's a problem loading the file, which shouldn't have to do with anything inside the file itself.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Not really. Truth is, it's too much trouble tweaking things and waiting for someone else to run tests, so I'm going to wait until someone else works out what's going on. I'm a little too busy now anyway.

Top Bottom