• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Project M] Pixel CSS for Project M 2.5 version 1.0

Cuban Legend

Smash Apprentice
Just a small update, I'm nearly finished with all of the P:M recolors.

And in case others are interested and Royal doesn't post one, I'll try to post a nameless version of this pack like the one Cuban Legend made.
Neato!(no pun intended) I never thought about using the Pixel Characters as Battle Portraits, but that one looks way awesome so I'd totally love to use those over the stock P:M ones (as long as a good Roy and Mewtwo can be made too) :)

I look forward to Apples/Shun's and Kneato's releases! If anyone needs any help, I can hold my own in photoshop.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Neato!(no pun intended) I never thought about using the Pixel Characters as Battle Portraits, but that one looks way awesome so I'd totally love to use those over the stock P:M ones (as long as a good Roy and Mewtwo can be made too) :)

I look forward to Apples/Shun's and Kneato's releases! If anyone needs any help, I can hold my own in photoshop.
Those all look great! What we're hoping to do is to upload .psd's for each character broken up and modularized in a manner that makes it really easy to just spit out recolors. That way, if someone wants a Pixel BP for some random texture they made themselves or one that's up on BV that we haven't done, they can just do so very easily.

We kind of have a tendency to hop around on projects though and get busy with real life and things just take a while to release because apparently we insist on undertaking big projects, lol.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
We kind of have a tendency to hop around on projects though and get busy with real life and things just take a while to release because apparently we insist on undertaking big projects, lol.
We really have to try a small-scale something at some point :p

Any how, I have Ike's for you.

Here's the .psd for you to make your own easily: DL

Badge

Smash Apprentice
I've also made the red cape version of Mars Ike a while ago, might as well throw it in here:

RoyalSyrup

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! Sorry for the absence. I'm really surprised at what you guys are making, keep up the good work! It's time I got back into the updates. I'm also thinking of asking anyone who wants to help with the project. Also, the css images with look much sharper in later versions.

MVP

Smash Ace
This works on both versions of PM right? The wifi-safe one and the non-wifi?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'll say this again, but could someone post every sprite that was on the deviantart page in a PNG Imgur picture so I can have it on my computer? When I try to click on some it gives me a Malware warning.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I'll say this again, but could someone post every sprite that was on the deviantart page in a PNG Imgur picture so I can have it on my computer? When I try to click on some it gives me a Malware warning.
Zip Archive

Includes all of Abyss Wolf's Brawl sprites and custom Zard/Ivy/Squirt split.

Also, all of the .psd's and splits I had (or was working on): DL

Badge

Smash Apprentice
In case somebody's interested in the sprite recolors: I'm very slowly doing the remaining colors (Default, Maritime/Minty/Mars and some other textures I'm using) of AbyssWolf's sprites that haven't been done by Shun or Apples already and uploading the xcf-files here and png-files for lone missing textures here. I also accidently redid a few characters, that already had been done.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while. Spilled some water on my laptop which put me out of commission. I finished all the recolors a bit ago and now I'm back to working on the CSP's.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Hey everyone, really like this project. I went ahead and made CSPs for all of the Project M v2.5b characters using AbyssWolf's/KazarSanaga's/Shun_one's/Kneato's/Apples' sprites and recolors. It's nothing too fancy, I just resized and centered all of the sprites/recolors to 128x160. I'm just about done with it, I'm just missing a few recolors for Squirtle and Charizard. I'd be happy to upload my common5.pac when I'm done so you all can use it, I just need the following recolors:

Grey Charizard
Black Charizard
Green Squirtle
Yellow Squirtle
Pink Squirtle

I can also upload the individual CSPs and the PNDs I used to make them if anyone wants them (I used Paint.NET since I don't have Photoshop and I'm not a huge fan of GIMP). Also, I'll try to get around to doing the result screen CSPs too if I get some time.

EDIT: Does anyone know if there's a minimum common5.pac file size? I can't seem to make my common5.pac stable using all of my CSPs and I think it's because my common5 is too small at 4.24MB. I can get about ~32-34 characters CSPs replaced and if I do anymore my game crashes as soon as I click on the "FIGHT!" icon. When I replace the CSPs my common5 file size goes down so I'm thinking that's the issue.

EDIT 2: Turns out I was right, my common5.pac was too small. I fixed this by making huge CSPs for non-PM 2.5b characters and doing that brought up my common5 file size. It's a temporary fix and it's going to need to be updated for future PM builds, but it works perfect for 2.5b. For anyone wondering, the minimum common5 size is somewhere around 4.25-4.27MB. Also, when I increase the file size and try to reopen the common5 with brawlbox, brawlbox won't save the changes meaning once the CSPs are added, you can't change the common5 at all. The common5 works fine ingame, just thought it's a bit strange. I'll upload my CSPs as soon as someone can make some Charizard and Squirtle recolors. I'd do them myself, but I have very little photo editing skill and have no idea how to do recolors.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Ok, it's all done! Even though I have very little photo editing skill, I took some time and taught myself some basic stuff to make the 5 recolors I was missing. My recolors aren't too great (especially the Squirtle ones), but they'll definitely get the job done in the meantime until someone can make some better ones. I'm uploading my common5.pac and a ZIP file my folder containing all of the CSPs used in this pack, the PDNs (Paint.NET format) I used to make them, and my common5.pac. Again, credit to RoyalSyrup for the CSS, AbyssWolf for the original sprites and KazarSanaga, Shun_one, Kneato, and /Apples for their recolors.

(See post #61 for links)

If anyone has any trouble with the CSPs or the common5, let me know by PM or in this thread.

EDIT: For those who want to see the poor recolors I did for Squirtle and Charizard:

I don't know why Mediafire decided to make the Black Charizard's background white.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Nice work Galaga.

Meant to mention this earlier, but the .psd's I posted earlier should contain the recolors for Squirtle and Charizard. I'm pretty sure I made them and included them there.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Nice work Galaga.

Meant to mention this earlier, but the .psd's I posted earlier should contain the recolors for Squirtle and Charizard. I'm pretty sure I made them and included them there.
I actually used some of your PSDs for other colors, but as I said I don't really have photoshop experience. When I tried to export certain colors, they came out looking strange. I managed to use a few though (I know I used orange Squirtle for this and I'm pretty sure I used them for Wolf's PM recolors). If you could export the 5 I was missing to pngs, I can resize and fit them to my CSPs. For now though my common5 works fine. I don't know why but it was a pain to get it working properly. Took about 3 of 4 hours of the game crashing before I got a proper build with all PM characters working.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Sure, I'll just do 'em all since I don't know which ones you need. I'll likely edit this post when I'm done.

...and I just noticed that there's some stray pixels in the top left corner.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
they seem pretty inconsistent in how you have them cropped. Like, mario and lucas look fine, but zss, link, fox, and really most of the cast look pretty tiny because the image is zoomed kinda far out. Then some of them seem like the recolors are shifted over by a pixel or two, because when I flip through them, I can see them shifting.

and I dunno who did the bowser recolors, but there doesn't appear to be any shading, which wouldn't look as bad if it wasn't for the original color having really good looking shading. It just looks really weird when I'm flipping through them and I see such a drastic change. I haven't really noticed this issue on the other characters though

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
they seem pretty inconsistent in how you have them cropped. Like, mario and lucas look fine, but zss, link, fox, and really most of the cast look pretty tiny because the image is zoomed kinda far out. Then some of them seem like the recolors are shifted over by a pixel or two, because when I flip through them, I can see them shifting.

and I dunno who did the bowser recolors, but there doesn't appear to be any shading, which wouldn't look as bad if it wasn't for the original color having really good looking shading. It just looks really weird when I'm flipping through them and I see such a drastic change. I haven't really noticed this issue on the other characters though
Yes, I'm aware of the inconsistencies in the CSPs. This common5 is essential a rough draft. Some characters definitely need to be enlarged and adjusted (notably ZSS, Link, Marth, Luigi, and Toon Link). I've noticed the pixels or 2 shifts, I'm working on those too. As for the Bowser recolors, I didn't work on those. I believe I used KazarSanaga's recolors and AbyssWolf's default picture for the CSPs. I just resized and adjusted them a bit. If you want to try recoloring Bowser, I'd be happy to include them in the common5.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Here's my updated Bowser's.

Bonus:
Those look great Shun_one, just finished making the CSPs. Gonna hold off on adding them to my pack until Monday or Tuesday, I wanna wait and get some more feedback on what needs to be changed with my other CSPs in the current pack. I feel like I'd be updating the pack every hour or 2 otherwise XD. Also, those bonus icons are making me want Minty/Mars/Maritime even more :).

EDIT: Should I make a new thread for my CSPs? I feel like I'm kinda taking over this thread by accident... (Even though the CSS and my CSPs go together)

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Well, I can tell you some of the other things I noticed, but you seem to be on top of most of it.

I think the shifting around thing for most of the characters is kind of obvious for the ones who do it.

Zelda's recolors are shifted off from her default by a lot.
I think the Toon Link ones are off a bit, and I know I saw some stray pixels on the right side of the default.
Biker Wario sits a tad bit higher than Classic Wario.
Jiggs is all over the place with all her different hats.

If you get more of them enlarged and lined up to your liking, and post another updated version, I'll be happy to give you some feedback. Feedback would probably be more useful after you've corrected the stuff you already know about, especially since the images are gonna get enlarged and shifted around in the process anyway. I really like the pixel art characters, so I'm looking forward to it :)

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Well, I can tell you some of the other things I noticed, but you seem to be on top of most of it.

I think the shifting around thing for most of the characters is kind of obvious for the ones who do it.

Zelda's recolors are shifted off from her default by a lot.
I think the Toon Link ones are off a bit, and I know I saw some stray pixels on the right side of the default.
Biker Wario sits a tad bit higher than Classic Wario.
Jiggs is all over the place with all her different hats.

If you get more of them enlarged and lined up to your liking, and post another updated version, I'll be happy to give you some feedback. Feedback would probably be more useful after you've corrected the stuff you already know about, especially since the images are gonna get enlarged and shifted around in the process anyway. I really like the pixel art characters, so I'm looking forward to it :)
Thanks for the feedback Brown. I've been going through the pack and see your issues. For Zelda I think the default sprite I have is just completely different from the recolors, so I'll try to get a default sprite that lines up. Toon Link is already fixed, I'll adjust Biker Wario and Jiggs has been really weird for me to adjust, but I'll try to line them up better. Expect a new build Tuesday since I'm pretty busy and probably won't be able to make the adjustments I need to make.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
KazarSanaga has used a sprite version different from the on Shun reuploaded for his recolors, so that's probably where the differences come from. I made Zelda recolors from the other AbyssWolf sprite, so you could use those.

Here are the pngs in case you want to use them and can't open Gimp files.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Hey guys, new common5 filled with updated CSPs here: (Link removed, see new build below in edit)

Edit: Didn't see your post before I uploaded my common5 8adge, thanks for the Zelda sprite recolors. Just updated the common5 to have those Zelda sprites. Here's the new common5: http://www.mediafire.com/?v7ytbkb43w5e69e . Let me know about any changes you think need to be made. I'll upload the individual CSPs later on in the week.

Edit 2: I realized this is probably worth mentioning, but my pack was made using the 2.5b full set meaning I don't know if this is wifi safe. Just a warning.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I downloaded your latest version, and most of it looks pretty great. The things you fixed look pretty fantastic, and I wouldn't want to change them further. If you went through and did that stuff for every character, it'd all be aces. Here's some constructive criticism.

C. Falcon, and Ganondorf are still awkwardly zoomed out.

It doesn't look like you changed Bowser to Shun's recolors.

I'd actually zoom Marth out just a teensy bit, for one reason and one reason only. Green Marth and Black Marth both seem to have black capes, so it's difficult to tell which one is which. Like, the Green cape is really really dark, and it looks Black to me. You can really only see a tiny bit of the color change at the very bottom, currently. His hair and gloves do change color, but it's not very indicative of which is which. Shifting the frame up a bit would also probably solve the problem. Whichever you think looks better, cuz I do like seeing his sword in the frame.

Jiggs shifts around just a tiny bit still, but it's worlds better than it was before, and given the awkwardness of her hat shapes, this is something I could totally live with. Change only at your own discretion.

Characters I might suggest zooming in more to match the ones like Link (which looks pretty sweet) would be Wario, Luigi, Peach, Diddy, Falco, Zelda, Sheik, Pikachu, Squirtle, pit, Ike, Ness, Dedede, and Snake. There's nothing inherently weird or bad looking about any of them, they look great, I just think they'd probably look a little better if they were zoomed in a tad. I'd live if you left them alone, though. C. Falcon and Ganondorf are the only ones I think really "need" it.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Thanks for the feedback Brown, you've helped me with the pack quite a bit so far. As for the changes, some I agree with and some I disagree with. For C. Falcon and Ganon, I'll try resizing. I liked how they looked but I understand your problem with them.

I thought I did add Shun_one's Bowser recolors, I know I have them saved in a PSD already done, so that's a quick fix.

It's funny you brought up Green/Black Marth. I went to play Marth last night and usually change to black, but when I went into the match I noticed I accidentally chose green. I'll definitely have to change that.

Jiggs has been an absolute pain to resize and center properly. I'll try to center it better, but no promises here.

As for zooming in certain characters, I agree with some of your choices but disagree with many of them. I do think Wario, Luigi, and Pikachu may benefit from a slight resize, especially Wario. However, I think Peach came out the best of all the sprites I've done, Zelda, Sheik, Diddy and Falco look fine, Squirtle isn't really meant to be big, Pit is OK but probably needs to be redone because the sprite is a little blurry, Ike has actually already been zoomed in slightly and can't really do more without taking the sword out of the shot, DDD may be changed later on, and snake looks fine to me. Hope to have these changes done by the end of the week if not later today.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Like I said, none of them look terrible, I just like seeing the character's faces. Like, rule of thumb would be a good chunk of torso along with their head, while keeping the head just above being centered.

I can see why keeping more of the picture would be preferable though, since people obviously put a good chunk of work into these full body sprites + recolors, it's nice to show them off.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
I can see why keeping more of the picture would be preferable though, since people obviously put a good chunk of work into these full body sprites + recolors, it's nice to show them off.
Exactly. I'm trying to keep as much as possible without making the sprites look bad. I do understand your point though about keeping the faces centered with just the torso. In fact my next version of Ganon is going to be like that because if I use the my old one, the head is cut off by the "Ready to Fight" thing. I may look into it in the future though since I could see people wanting it. This pack isn't just for me, I want the community to like it too.

MVP

Smash Ace
does anyone know where i can find the hud with sprites?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Not sure if the issue is with this or not, but I think it could be. I was playing Charizard, and I selected the Blue Zubat themed Charizard, and ingame he ended up appearing as the Grey, Aerodactyl themed one. Every other indication the game was givign me told me I had, in fact selected the blue one. My HUD, the victory screen, everything except what I actually saw in the match. Not sure what happened, gonna have to check and see if it consistently screws up that way..

MVP

Smash Ace
I went to that link, and the hud there was with hearts and the character portraits where all messed up........

Did i miss the right link?

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
@Brown - I haven't noticed that in my build... Then again I don't play Aerozard much so I wouldn't really know. I actually don't have access to my console or SD card right now (Left them at a friend's house to practice a bit for an upcoming tourney) so I can't double check. The common5 seems to have the Aerozard and the Blue Zubat Charizard CSPs in the right place though, just double checked. I'll try testing it tomorrow and see if it happens for me too.

@MVP - I don't use the HUD with the swipe and the heart stocks. Here's how I have my HUD set up:
1. Download Shun_one's BP Pixel Pack here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/px2zfmievt6p2x1/Pixel BP HUD.zip
Install its info folder to your SD card's pf folder.

2. Download the circle stock HUD from Hamyojo/Shun_one here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5hc64ix2o45r6l/[Dec 29] Battle HUD.zip
Install its info2 folder to your SD card's pf folder.

Hopefully that should work for you, let me know if you still have trouble with it.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I'm gonna stop being lazy and just check it right now.

EDIT: Just checked it, and I think it may have just been some kind of weird, onetime thing. Either that, or I was maybe just thrown off by how blue the sprites on the hud, and CSS all look as compared to how he actually looks, and mistakenly thought it was grey...

I think i'm leaning towards me just not knowing the difference between blue and grey zard. The sprites are REALLY blue, and zard isn't so much, and they both also have purplish color wings.

Top Bottom