• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Project M] Pixel CSS for Project M 2.5 version 1.0

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
I'm gonna stop being lazy and just check it right now.
I have an idea... Try doing a Team Battle and set Charizard to the Blue team. If he shows up as grey when he's on the blue team, I'd try redownloading a clean copy of P:M and replace your pf/fighter/pokelizardon folder with the clean one.

EDIT: Just saw your edit, if that's the case I guess I can't really help much XD. In the future I'm hoping to make my CSPs compatible with Project Mars/Minty/Maritime in the future so hopefully the difference between Aerozard and Blue Charizard will be made more distinct.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
they're pretty distinct in game, I just picked blue zard, and when he wasn't as blue as all my pictures were indicating, I was just thrown off. Blue and grey zard standing next to each other are easy to tell apart, they're just WAY easier to tell apart in their portraits, cuz the grey sprite is darker than actual zard, and blue zard is brighter than actual zard.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Sorry for the lack of updates, school got heavy for a bit, and issues with re-sizing DeDeDe and DK discouraged me. 16 characters left to do. Once it's done, I'll make sure to make a nameless version since I know a few of you were interested in that.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Sorry for the lack of updates, school got heavy for a bit, and issues with re-sizing DeDeDe and DK discouraged me. 16 characters left to do. Once it's done, I'll make sure to make a nameless version since I know a few of you were interested in that.
Resizing is one of the few good things I can do, what do you need DK and DDD resizes for? And I can try throwing together a nameless HUD later on today if anyone still wants it.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
The issue stemmed from the fact that their original images are really large compared to the rest of the cast, and for the CSP's I've been scaling everyone up by the same percent. If I was to do that with DK and DDD though, they would be too large and wouldn't fit. If I don't rescale them though, their look wouldn't be consistent with everyone elses.

After a bit of experimenting though, I managed to give them the same look as everyone else while doing a different scale resize, so they both fit and are consistent with the style.

<Original
<CSP

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
The issue stemmed from the fact that their original images are really large compared to the rest of the cast, and for the CSP's I've been scaling everyone up by the same percent. If I was to do that with DK and DDD though, they would be too large and wouldn't fit. If I don't rescale them though, their look wouldn't be consistent with everyone elses.

After a bit of experimenting though, I managed to give them the same look as everyone else while doing a different scale resize, so they both fit and are consistent with the style.

<Original
<CSP
Don't like my CSPs? =P If you want I can send you the PSDs I have for each character if it will help you out.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Dang...I basically missed a whole page while I was gone haha, I didn't even see yours. You basically did what I've been trying to for about two months :p Welp, I guess I'll finish anyways just for funzos

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Dang...I basically missed a whole page while I was gone haha, I didn't even see yours. You basically did what I've been trying to for about two months :p Welp, I guess I'll finish anyways just for funzos
Hahaha it's all good. I might actually change DeDeDe to look more like yours, it looks pretty good like that.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Just a quick update on the stuff I've been working on, I'm going to try to keep it out of this thread. I feel like I accidentally took over this thread with all my posts about the CSPs I've been working on. My work will now be posted over at the Project M Pro Edition thread. Thanks for the support guys.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Alright, here is the situation for those of you still following this project.

I've finished it.

But...my common5 I make with the pixel CSP's freezes the game upon attempting to open CSS.

At first I thought it was because the common5 was too small (only 3.8MB) but then I saved all CSP's in RGBA8 to increase the common5's size back up to 4.9MB, yet I still got the freeze.

All I've changed are all the character select icons and character select portraits. I've checked and rechecked that they are all the correct dimensions and all png format.

If anyone can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated. I've spent all night working on this so I'm gonna head to bed now and see if I can get it to work tomorrow or the day after.

And as a side note, if no one has seen it yet, \Apples has a prototype for a pixel HUD that looks really REALLY good, and if he implements it, it would complement this project very well.

This is the prototype:

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Alright, here is the situation for those of you still following this project.

I've finished it.

But...my common5 I make with the pixel CSP's freezes the game upon attempting to open CSS.

At first I thought it was because the common5 was too small (only 3.8MB) but then I saved all CSP's in RGBA8 to increase the common5's size back up to 4.9MB, yet I still got the freeze.

All I've changed are all the character select icons and character select portraits. I've checked and rechecked that they are all the correct dimensions and all png format.

If anyone can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated. I've spent all night working on this so I'm gonna head to bed now and see if I can get it to work tomorrow or the day after.

And as a side note, if no one has seen it yet, \Apples has a prototype for a pixel HUD that looks really REALLY good, and if he implements it, it would complement this project very well.

This is the prototype:
Testing the common5 is an absolute pain in the ass. Took me like 2 hours of testing just to get my pack to finally work right. If you want to send it to me, I can try and get it working.

Also, dat HUD. Still really hoping \Apples can implement it.

MVP

Smash Ace
i think everyone that's seen this thread wants dat hud, including me.

Soooo..................

Apples ;) the people have spoken.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Aight, another night working on it, I found out it was a combination of too small a pac and using RGBA8 for the Icons. For some reason, if I save more that 5 or 6 icon's as RGBA8, game will crash upon entering CSS. So everything is going to be compressed a bit. Nearly done putting the common5 together, I'll have it done by tomorrow or the day after. Cheers.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I tried this version, and everything worked great except for the portraits on this screen

The portraits are there, but they look semi transparent, fuzzy and glitchy. Trying to reformat/defrag my SD card to see if that fixes it.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Hurm. Yea, like you can see, they work fine on mine, and they are literally just ripped from the CSP pac, so they should be exactly the same. Let me know if anything changes, or if anyone else has this issue. I'll look into it if everyone has it.

Mysterious Potato

Smash Cadet
Hey um, just out of curiosity would it be possible if someone could make the melee fox (brawl style) into the pixel art, or basically just put the melee head on fox's?

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Nice job on the pack Kneato, honestly it makes my pack look awful hahahaha. I'll definitely test it out when I get home tomorrow, out of town currently.

But seriously, if Apples isn't going to work on that pixel HUD, would anyone be interested in helping me make it happen? I can't get over how great I think it would look with the rest of the pixel art we've put together for Project M so far.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I'm going to start looking into developing it. Apples and I (along with the rest of the team) talked about it extensively when he designed it. I'll assist whomever as well with whatever I can

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I think you guys should consider maybe flipping some of the character icons so that they're all facing towards the centre. For example, Link, Zelda, DK and Diddy should face left, whilst Fox, Falco, Luigi and Wario should face right. I think it would help make it a little more symmetrical and professional looking. Great job so far though, really digging the HUD.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
I'm going to start looking into developing it. Apples and I (along with the rest of the team) talked about it extensively when he designed it. I'll assist whomever as well with whatever I can
After reading the info on the basics of hud hacking, I started playing around with editing it myself. If I can be of any help, I would love to be a part of the pixel hud. Nonetheless, even if I'm not involved, when it's done I'll be sure to include it in a later version of the P:M pixel pack.

Oh and @ Silentdoom, that never occurred to me, but that's a great Idea. What would you suggest about the center characters though?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I've an idea on how to get a close approximation already. The only thing I won't be able to do (as of right now) is get the border around the stocks and damage percent. For the BP's, we could simply develop some custom ones for use with a modified info.pac and include the border there.

The damage font should also be easy to do as all we'd need is the font name.

Franchise logo's shouldn't be too big of an issue as JDaster figured out how to move it with more freedom earlier.

I'll make a test build sometime this week and post progress for all interested here.

@SilentDoom - A good idea...except we'll have to update it for the next PM version :p

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Possibly alternating facing right, left, right? So only ROB's direction would be changed? I dunno really XD

Kneato

Totoro Joe
I've an idea on how to get a close approximation already. The only thing I won't be able to do (as of right now) is get the border around the stocks and damage percent. For the BP's, we could simply develop some custom ones for use with a modified info.pac and include the border there.

The damage font should also be easy to do as all we'd need is the font name.

Franchise logo's shouldn't be too big of an issue as JDaster figured out how to move it with more freedom earlier.

I'll make a test build sometime this week and post progress for all interested here.

@SilentDoom - A good idea...except we'll have to update it for the next PM version :p
Would you like my to try my hand at making damage fonts? If I made some, should I show you or apples to check out?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Yes, go ahead. Feel free to post them in the HUD progress thread so as not to crowd this place even though the two projects are heavily related. I'll be using the other thread to post progress. Hopefully I'll have something to show tomorrow.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
So why was wario's css and battle portrait changed back to have his biker skins the first to be selected. It isn't that big of a deal, but it might confuse some people, since they might be used to classic wario being first.

Aaronator

Smash Rookie
I tried this version, and everything worked great except for the portraits on this screen

The portraits are there, but they look semi transparent, fuzzy and glitchy. Trying to reformat/defrag my SD card to see if that fixes it.
I'm getting this issue as well. All the portraits (except for the person who comes in first), are divided into bars, semi-transparent, and have varying offsets. This is on the Homebrew Full Set with no other modifications.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
I'm getting this issue as well. All the portraits (except for the person who comes in first), are divided into bars, semi-transparent, and have varying offsets. This is on the Homebrew Full Set with no other modifications.
I'm really not sure what that's about then... I have the same setup on my wii and I've tested it on both that and Dolphin emulator and it works fine for me. If anyone else can shed some light on why this may be happening I would really appreciate some advice.

It may not do anything, but maybe try downloading the updated version to see if the problem persists.

So why was wario's css and battle portrait changed back to have his biker skins the first to be selected. It isn't that big of a deal, but it might confuse some people, since they might be used to classic wario being first.
That was actually a mistake on my part, but I ended up liking the way that icon looked compared to the original so I just kept it :p Sorry for the confusion.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
kinda little thing i just noticed. the red recolor you have for Wolf is inaccurate. Red wolf in PM has brown fur, yours has gray.

EDIT. I also redownloaded the new version, and i'm still having that weird issue with the afterbattle portraits. Some of them seem to be fine, but others are still semi transparent and fuzzy.

Donkey kong, C. Falcon, ZSS, Lucario, and Sheik seem fine. Ivysaur, Wario, Charizard, and Mario are funky. I haven't looked into all of them yet, those are just some examples.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
ehh, did some more testing and whether or not the picture is messed up looking is not consistent through characters. Certain colors work, others not. It's a big mess.

Aaronator

Smash Rookie
ehh, did some more testing and whether or not the picture is messed up looking is not consistent through characters. Certain colors work, others not. It's a big mess.
Check to see if it's dependent on what place the player comes in, because that's what it's doing for me.

Whoever comes in first, their picture is fine. Everyone else's pictures gets distorted, and it's worse the lower place you are in (#4 vs #2).

Kneato

Totoro Joe
So I just updated again for the wolf recolor fix and the wario icon fix. I've checked the ABP's of all the characters you listed, and there is no difference between the brres files of the characters that have issues and the ones that don't. I really don't know what I can do to fix that issue.

Aaronator

Smash Rookie
Check to see if it's dependent on what place the player comes in, because that's what it's doing for me.

Whoever comes in first, their picture is fine. Everyone else's pictures gets distorted, and it's worse the lower place you are in (#4 vs #2).

EDIT: I'm assuming it's because the game is resizing the images to make them smaller. The snapshot Kneato posted has them all the same size so there's some disparity somewhere...

Oh whoops, sorry. Quoted my own post lol

Kneato

Totoro Joe

Then it looks like it stems from the fact that the portraits are being resized as the worse you place in a match, the smaller your icon becomes. But as you can see in the preview pic on brawlvault, I still couldn't recreate that issue.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232

Just tested to see if this occurred, and it does. That's really weird. Before I was just No Contesting to get to the endscreen, but if you finish the match, the first place person looks mostly fine and the other people get progressively worse looking based on placing. Bizarre.

Dannyo15

Smash Rookie
I've been looking into the problem with the weird portrait glitches and I think the problem is with the MIP Level in the format of the portrait. Right now you have it set too 4 so I changed it on the Mario portraits too 1. This fixed the glitches with the black bars, and all that, and the CSP looked perfect. But the problem is that the file size of the common 5 pac will get to small if we were to change every portrait. That's what I found out yesterday and I wanted to give you all that information to see if we can find a solution. If it helps I also tried changing the format of all the CSP's to CI8 (which took about an hour) thinking the file size would go up but no... I also tried decompressing the sc_selcharacter_en and compressing other files inside of it to get it down to an ideal file size. While this didn't produce a buzzing sound it did still freeze with the background music still playing.

Edit: It freezes when trying to load the CSS after choosing "FIGHT" on the menu.

Edit 2: Oh yeah I found this out because the last 2 recolors of Ike load perfectly and when I checked the format they were CI8. Added that so you all can verify a little easier.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
Thank you Dannyo! I'm still not sure why mine was fine then. Yea, I had to up the MIP levels to 4 for the CSP's just to keep the common5.pac size high. For the ABP's however, there is no size requirement afaik. I will upload a fixed version asap.

Dannyo15

Smash Rookie
You're welcome and I fixed my after battle portraits so if you want I can upload them for you? As well as for everyone else.

Edit: Here you go. These are the After Battle Portraits. http://www.mediafire.com/?fv6l62ci7vaea4y

Edit2: Unfortunately this is the old one without your latest update but at least it could help save you some time in updating you're pack.

Top Bottom