• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
A bit late, but I'm definitely in agreement with Fly on the "feel" of DDD vs Fox. I haven't really played any good Fox players, using DDD, as of recent but I believe that DDD has the tools needed to maintain momentum in that MU. Unlike Marth, DDD does not have a 0-death on Fox that the player using Fox must respect and be constantly aware of. Rather DDD can, with a few good maneuvers, place Fox in a very bad position; however, unlike Falco, Fox being offstage isn't exactly a free stock for DDD. Speaking of Falco; what's everyone else's opinion on that MU after watching Fly play Sung's beastly Falco? I... Hate it, personally, and am trying to find a secondary who can drill Falco up the bunghole.

:phone:

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EpDndIqQiA

random fun factoid, i did a line drawing of snake's fsmash animation before sd00m took it to final 3d animation. here's what it looks like. needless to say, i think it came out great. :)

also with the help of vigilante_blade, he did some video reference for me of himself doing dagger attacks. maybe he'll be brave enuff one day to show you guys. :p

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
That would be cool. Also the work on snake from what Ive seen in streams makes him more like his actual Metal Gear Solid character (like from the games). The Knife being added was a huge upgrade imho. Overall I guess I'm saying in a way thank you.

Can't wait 13 more days :)

metroid1117

Smash Master
Speaking of Falco; what's everyone else's opinion on that MU after watching Fly play Sung's beastly Falco? I... Hate it, personally, and am trying to find a secondary who can drill Falco up the bunghole.
Out of fairness for Sung, I don't think it would be proper to judge the match-up from those videos; he was making some basic mistakes and Fly even said that he wasn't playing as well as usual. It's probably not in my place to say this since I haven't played the PMBR version of PM, but it looks like D3 has an extremely difficult time getting in since he's an extremely large target, making him susceptible to both lasers and combos. The removal of SAF on his up+B also makes it easier for Falco to spike him for easy edgeguards.

However, D3 has some strong points, the largest being his grab game and edgeguarding. It looked like he could chaingrab Falco with UThrow (at least, I thought I saw an UThrow -> regrab somewhere in that set) and his FThrow and BThrow are both powerful, setting up nicely for edgeguards. His edgeguarding is also amazing, with Waddle Dees covering the side+B option and DAir -> DTilt/FAir covering the low up+B option. I think Sung could've mixed up his recoveries more (shine stall and then double-jump and airdodge or just jump and up+B high), but the match-up for D3 seems to be just looking for that one opening for the kill. Learning how to powershield -> wavedash OOS -> grab might be a must for this match-up in particular.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
However, D3 has some strong points, the largest being his grab game and edgeguarding. It looked like he could chaingrab Falco with UThrow (at least, I thought I saw an UThrow -> regrab somewhere in that set) and his FThrow and BThrow are both powerful, setting up nicely for edgeguards.
d3 has its strong points, but sometimes it can be too hard with chaingrabs like u-throw which, without insane DI is hard to get out of and can combo infinitly almost

in before no one gets the reference and think I'm serious

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Bored at work, thinking about how awesome it would be if zss stood for zoot suit samus. Also still waiting for zuit suit samus confirmation for demo 2...

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
So will the custom stages come with custom music? Seems fitting but I remember way back hearing the back room didn't want to force things like music or skins on us.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Do you guys know if there are any Guy skins for Brawl? Because those need to be part of the demo.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
A bit late, but I'm definitely in agreement with Fly on the "feel" of DDD vs Fox. I haven't really played any good Fox players, using DDD, as of recent but I believe that DDD has the tools needed to maintain momentum in that MU. Unlike Marth, DDD does not have a 0-death on Fox that the player using Fox must respect and be constantly aware of. Rather DDD can, with a few good maneuvers, place Fox in a very bad position; however, unlike Falco, Fox being offstage isn't exactly a free stock for DDD. Speaking of Falco; what's everyone else's opinion on that MU after watching Fly play Sung's beastly Falco? I... Hate it, personally, and am trying to find a secondary who can drill Falco up the bunghole.

There isn't a character that can drill Falco because his lasers are too effective on approach and defense. But then again, from what I have seen with Pit, his arrows in conjunction with ridiculous mobility and offstage safety may allow him to work around that. Pit is too good.

And Fox doesn't really have to respect Marth's 0 to death unless he is on FD, so all a Fox player has to do is ban that stage.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
So will the custom stages come with custom music? Seems fitting but I remember way back hearing the back room didn't want to force things like music or skins on us.
I believe the only custom music that would be in the Demo Xtras, would be Melee music to match the melee stages that are included in the Demo 2. Might also include some Castlevania music to go with the Castlevania stage? Not sure about that.

For textures, I think it'd only be team textures and/or whatever was included in demo 1's Xtras folder.

G

genkaku

i'm really excited to experiment with some of these MUs.

[edit] no melee character vertexes in demo extras?

iLink

Smash Champion
And Fox doesn't really have to respect Marth's 0 to death unless he is on FD, so all a Fox player has to do is ban that stage.
I lost you there.

Sure the complete 0-death is exclusive to there, but getting grabbed by marth as fox is terrible on any stage.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Do you guys know if there are any Guy skins for Brawl? Because those need to be part of the demo.
I know someone at KCMM was doing Tales of VS imports (which are pretty low res since it's a PSP game, unfortunately) but just Luke, no Guy. If I knew how, I'd happily import him directly from Abyss.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I think this is an interesting discussion point with the public, really.

Most of you who read this thread are significantly better educated about Brawl modding than the general public, and having an included set of music/team textures would more likely interfere with you than anybody else.

Should Project M include a standard set of music for new stages? What about team color textures? Or should they be an optional extra, even if heavily recommended for tournament play? Either way, what should the music/textures even be?

Just something to discuss.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
In my opinion, they should be included automatically. When installing P:M, the user should be given the choice to do a complete install or a custom install. Complete will be the default option, and install new music and textures. Custom will give them the option to not install some, or all of the music/textures. That way it won't interfere with people, because they can just click to not install that, which should be pretty easy for anyone that mods their copy of Brawl. The people who don't mod Brawl, on the other hand, would probably appreciate the music matching the stages, and the characters being more teams friendly. They'd also appreciate Brown Ganon being replaced with Purple Ganon.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
They should most likely have to do with the stage's game.

And I support Guy Cecil texture. Who can we get to import it?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
If team textures were to be included, would the css be updated with the colored pictures?

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I've been downloading a ton of custom music/textures, but am not putting them on my P:M SD card until I see what you guys include in Demo 2. That way I can swap in/out things I think are better suited to my tastes. For instance, I kept the Castlevania music from the first demo and removed the custom songs I originally had there because they fit better.

This reminds me - the first demo had specific files in place for G&W so he couldn't have custom textures and stuff put on him without messing him up or something. Can you say if any other characters will have this so that I can go ahead and stop downloading textures for them. :D

Also, again showing how long I've been gone in case this isn't a thing anymore - landing detection is fixed in Demo 2, right? I feel like I heard you guys had fixed it not too long after Demo 1, but I'm in no way sure I'm right on this.

OH! And another thing I THINK I heard but am not totally sure - pressure sensing for shoulder buttons works now? And that this makes replays no longer work or something?

Sorry I haven't been around since, like, April of 2011. It was Marvel, baby.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I've been downloading a ton of custom music/textures, but am not putting them on my P:M SD card until I see what you guys include in Demo 2. That way I can swap in/out things I think are better suited to my tastes. For instance, I kept the Castlevania music from the first demo and removed the custom songs I originally had there because they fit better.
I've been doing the exact same thing the last couple days. I've almost finished replacing textures for every character in Brawl, so I'll be ready for the final version of P:M. That website you gave me for music helped too.

Also, thanks to my favorite toaster for giving me a bunch of music. You're setting a new standard.

G

genkaku

I agree that the default build should have altered team colors and music to match past stages. While these are cosmetic changes, they are practical, minimal, and very reasonable changes to make.

If Demo2 does not come with these features standardized it's not that big a deal, but I will be making those changes plus melee vertex hacks myself before even disconnecting the SD card from my computer, haha. I would be surprised if the majority of players at least in this thread aren't thinking similarly.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Well, are the team textures going to be required in the PMBR recommended tournament ruleset, or just optional? (Or did you decide not to make a recommended ruleset?) If required, include them automatically; if not, then add them to the "extras" folder.

Melee music should also come in the "extras" folder, along with a very direct text guide on how to add them (create this folder on your SD card, rename the file xxx to replace this song or yyy to replace this song, etc.). The only reason that I don't want them included by default is because even things like Yoshi's Story replacing Yoshi's Island Melee have 2 song choices on the stage, and the user should have the choice to decide which of the 2 songs to replace with the Melee song. It's a minor thing, yes, but it adds to the "not being forced" idea. A lot of people don't know how to do any modding stuff so anything that's included by default is basically considered a permanent fixture to them.

The extras folder should be included with the main download, in a location that doesn't interfere with the game play files. Hopefully on the website you would create a section explaining the extras, saying that they are NOT required to run the game, but are optional simply to aesthetically enhance the experience.

You may or may not also consider adding the a few of the Melee character vertexes to the extras folder. Only if the quality is up to your standards (like the Melee Fox with the imported head IMO).

Ecks

Smash Lord
Ugh, Kotaku's last PM article. I like Kotaku and visit it a lot, but I wouldn't bother with their intolerant community.

As for including custom textures and music, I say do it like last time and include an extra folder with team textures, music and maybe an edited info.pac and mu_menumain.pac to match the new music. Textures and such can be a hit or miss, it may annoy some people (Looking at your included pokemon trainer textures brawl plus).

Revven

FrankerZ
Ugh, Kotaku's last PM article. I like Kotaku and visit it a lot, but I wouldn't bother with their intolerant community.
Any publicity is good publicity, in my opinion. As long as the word gets out there, other news sites will catch wind of it and will want to make an article about it if they feel it's eye popping enough or will get them hits. Whether the comments section blows up or not, doesn't matter to the news site and tbh we shouldn't expect 100% positivity from everywhere.

Though for sure the way they wrote the last article was kinda biased and ick, but it was publicity either way and a light brightly shined from it for other news sites to jump on it. I mean, it was after we got on Kotaku that other news sites started picking up the story which then lead us to being on Wired (which is a huge accomplishment). And that was demo 1!

Believe it or not, a lot of Smashers and people who aren't even in tune with the community think this mod is dead. Bringing news to the general public will get everyone's attention, and that's the primary goal.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
It's one of things where you can take the risk if you think you're prepared to handle it. Comment section aside, I wouldn't even trust Kotaku to write a neutral POV article about the game.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Any publicity is good publicity, in my opinion. As long as the word gets out there, other news sites will catch wind of it and will want to make an article about it if they feel it's eye popping enough or will get them hits. Whether the comments section blows up or not, doesn't matter to the news site and tbh we shouldn't expect 100% positivity from everywhere.

Though for sure the way they wrote the last article was kinda biased and ick, but it was publicity either way and a light brightly shined from it for other news sites to jump on it. I mean, it was after we got on Kotaku that other news sites started picking up the story which then lead us to being on Wired (which is a huge accomplishment). And that was demo 1!

Believe it or not, a lot of Smashers and people who aren't even in tune with the community think this mod is dead. Bringing news to the general public will get everyone's attention, and that's the primary goal.
You make a good point. I didn't consider that there are a lot of people who may have thought the project was dead or simply don't check the site. I guess we'll all have to bear with all the bias and misinformed guesses.

If anybody tips them, then please tell them about the trailer, new animations and a nice link to the PM website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom