• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well I have one thing to say about motivation to play good players. I used to travel 3 hours every 2nd day (Sometimes every 3rd day) for 2 years back when everyone was very motivated to play Melee. That's how I was able to break many many plateaus. How about that?

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I would travel a lot more if I had my own car. I don't know of any big tournaments that are held near or in NEPA so I'm kinda stuck to traveling at most 30 minutes to where ever I'm staying for that time period.

Doesn't help that my parents don't trust me on my own lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Maybe you're not used to it? Have you spent time in the lab searching for scenarios or just trying to fit it in a bunch of scenarios?

Maybe you could try different perspectives, mr. Kage sir.

:phone:
Well when i play vs someone I always try new things I'm not used to. Though in combos, I don't see it work very well.. maybe fair to dacus usmash? idk.. lol.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well when i play vs someone I always try new things I'm not used to. Though in combos, I don't see it work very well.. maybe fair to dacus usmash? idk.. lol.
Try DACUS from a Side B, the crotchbox it has sends at an amazing angle. That situation presents itself often enough where mixing it up between DACUS or some other techchase option would make it worthwhile to mess around with and actually use.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
In addition to what SMK said, using DACUS as a platform techchase is also very good considering you can literally give your opponent less time to react since DACUS is far less telegraphed vs lets say dash attack or running uair, since Ganon's run speed is not too fast and is practically a snail compared to the boost of DACUS.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Doesn't Ganon's NAir Project M have a ridiculous auto-cancel window? Would NAir -> DACUS work on anyone?

Man, DThrow -> NAir -> DACUS would be so sexy if that worked.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Is DDD's downthrow supposed to be a tech-chasing move?
Pretty much. When not used at the ledge DDD's Dthrow places the thrown target in a rather tough situation: pretty close to him and on the ground. It places the target in a position which they can be tech chased; although, with appropriate DI from the thrown character, DDD can kind of combo from it. I tend to use it as a mixup around higher %'s at the ledge in the place of Fthrow for the purpose of lengthening my follow-up options while sort of neutralizing my opponent's predicted survival DI.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Uhh what? All those characters you can escape the combos, sounds like you haven't played enough Melee yet!
I have trust me....the list is situational. meaning on a certain stage vs certain characters it can be done. My point was it's just Easy for Ike to do it vs pretty much everyone.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
It's a very chill pic of Letty that adds an air of calm snarkiness to my messages. Chen is up next I think, so I imagine my posts will appear smarmier.

I tried having fun with Zelda one time, but to no avail. She's just so boring no matter how hard I try to enjoy myself. Any tips, bread?
You're not playing her right then, she's hella fun, Din setups are hilarious

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

well...

okay... lol.

So I've realized that Falco:M > Melee Falco because Falco:M can retreat and approach with lasers in a single SH at the same time.

as in, he can both retreat and approach in 1 SH.
With lasers.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

well...

okay... lol.

So I've realized that Falco:M > Melee Falco because Falco:M can retreat and approach with lasers in a single SH at the same time.

With lasers.
Plus side-b special fall transition grabs the ledge backwards. So it can be used to edgehog, as well as tech chase and bounce the opponent for an edgehopped dair. Granted to have to be in the right position, but that's not too hard.

Skler

Smash Master
I played ProjectM again in the past week and have been seeing some pretty interesting things. I think Link may require a couple more changes to make him a more viable competitor, but I'll wait to suggest them until I play it some more to be sure.

A lot of characters seem to have been buffed significantly, while Link had minor tweaks that (imo) would put him into high tier in Melee. It preserved the feel of Melee Link (and he does feel much, much better than Brawl Link ever did) but didn't buff him enough to keep pace with the others. The main issue is Link's stage control being very weak now with the buffs to so many other characters' projectiles.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I played ProjectM again in the past week and have been seeing some pretty interesting things. I think Link may require a couple more changes to make him a more viable competitor, but I'll wait to suggest them until I play it some more to be sure.

A lot of characters seem to have been buffed significantly, while Link had minor tweaks that (imo) would put him into high tier in Melee. It preserved the feel of Melee Link (and he does feel much, much better than Brawl Link ever did) but didn't buff him enough to keep pace with the others. The main issue is Link's stage control being very weak now with the buffs to so many other characters' projectiles.
"
linkbadbuffplzpmbrkthxbai
"

metroid1117

Smash Master

well...

okay... lol.

With lasers.
I found out how useful B-reverse lasers could be yesterday. Once Melee veterans stop trying out new characters and go back to using Falco, just think of all the cool tricks that will come.

Also, I have a question (not a suggestion) - is Lucario supposed to be able to auto-sweetspot from under the edge? It's fine if that's intentional, I was just wondering if it was or not.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace

Exactly what I've been saying, side-tilt should be sped up a bit to make it actually useful for one thing I think, hookshot should be melee length but nothing can be done about it afaik, Link is definitely nowhere near the spacies and most of the available cast

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Also, I have a question (not a suggestion) - is Lucario supposed to be able to auto-sweetspot from under the edge? It's fine if that's intentional, I was just wondering if it was or not.
Because he can turn his up-b and has a decent sized ledge grab box, he probably just went slightly up then turned to be going slightly downward once he got to the edge. Or maybe he just went sideways and his ledge grab box extends farther down than I'm aware. But no he doesn't autosweetspot like in brawl or anything like that.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Ftilt was already sped up. Its endlag iirc, so it's already pretty damn safe.
I know, it needs to be a bit faster, it comes out too slow, there's not a single use for it, any time I think I can use it, it turns out it's too slow, or there's a better more powerful option(Fsmash, Fair, Dair, etc.) I remember Skler saying it needed to be made faster, and one of the Devs just wrote him off saying they already did, without realizing he meant it needs to be even faster.

Link's ftilt is fine now. It's actually decently fast and covers a lot of area.
I'm saying having the side-tilt faster isn't going to make Link broken, not at all, he'll still more than likely be worse than most of the characters, but it would put him up with the rest in terms of viability at the very most

red stone

Smash Ace
so how will we know that project M is complete? I don't like the idea of having a game that keeps constantly changing. I say we put a date on when there will be no further changes to project M. Say December 1st 2014 perhaps. Or even better make it coincide with the release of the next smash game for wii u.

Magus420

Smash Master
I think Lucario turns to follow the greater angle when hitting the stage, so if you up-b horizontally into a wall it turns him downwards along the wall and can grab the edge. I think you can grab the edge when moving slightly up as well if the edge's wall is angled in enough to hit at an angle that'd turn him downwards away from the edge.

iLink

Smash Champion
Having ftilt faster would just overshadow other attacks. If you want a fast poke in front of you, just use jab. If you want a stronger attack with more startup, use fsmash. If you want to cover more area, use ftilt.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I think Lucario turns to follow the greater angle when hitting the stage, so if you up-b horizontally into a wall it turns him downwards along the wall and can grab the edge. I think you can grab the edge when moving slightly up as well if the edge's wall is angled in enough to hit at an angle that'd turn him downwards away from the edge.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Having ftilt faster would just overshadow other attacks.
LOL no, do you even play Link at all? F-tilt it has no follow-ups like the jab, Ftilt being faster would be nothing more that a semi-safe GTFawayfromme move, something he doesn't have and something he really needs, he gets eaten alive by every character that's not Bowser or Ganon once they're withing his sword-range because he doesn't have the tools to deal with pressure, and maybe then he could deal with Marth Fairing through all his projectiles and completely outzoning him at sword-range.

In fact I'm completely for making Ftilt weak as hell just to have it made faster so it can actually be utilized

If you want a fast poke in front of you, just use jab. If you want a stronger attack with more startup, use fsmash. If you want to cover more area, use utilt.
Fixed

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Then don't screw up? What the **** do you want, a character who's everything is safe even if you don't know how to play him?
God it's not like it's even easy to screw up. The hitbox is at least as wide as bowser for ****'s sake.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Then don't screw up? What the **** do you want, a character who's everything is safe even if you don't know how to play him?
I DO know how to play him, VERY well, in fact from what I've seen I've spent the most damn time on Link.

I want him to have 1 semi-safe move that can help him deal with pressure, don't act like he's safe in everything else because he's not, in fact Link is one of the most easily punished, 90% of his moveset has has more than enough end-lag or start-up lag for someone to counter-attack easily, you have to be completely stupid if you believe a semi-safe, sped-up and weakened F-tilt move would put him over Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom