• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Every character is broken. They're just ranked by how many different people call them broken.

~1000th post~

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Serious talk though. This thread is **** because all the serious talk goes on at smashmods and all the speculative talk is running out of steam because PMBR isn't telling us **** or even trying to hype us for the next release. I mean ffs maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen any dev version steams. So basically all that's left after those things are complaining and whining about character balance and game mechanics.

tl;dr blame PMBR
and the people that care to whine instead of trying to find solutions to the problem.

shots fired
The problem is, we aren't ready for another release. We'd hype it up if it were close to being ready. That and, we're taking a different approach to 2.1 than we did with 1.0. With 1.0, the game was obsolete within 2 months of release with Magus fixing major gameplay issues nearly every week. We streamed dev builds/did character demo videos/blogposts because we wanted people to get hyped for the next release.... because we all felt that demo 1.0 was not a good indication whatsoever of what the final product would be, and had all stopped playing it because it was far worse than the dev build. 2.1, however, is a solid indication of what the final build will be mechanics-wise. There are still many things to fix, but it's not like 1.0 where it's already completely obsolete in reference to the current development build state. We'd rather you guys continue to enjoy 2.1 as it is right now and develop the metagame in order to give us insight on character balance and how match-ups play out at a high level than taint that by making you all hyped for something you won't be able to play for some time and uninterested in the current version.

We'll hype up a release when there's one in sight. In the meantime, there's a very good tournament game out there called Project M Demo 2.1 with literally hundreds of match-ups relevant to a competitive environment to explore. I suggest most of you to indeed head over to Smash Mods and see how you can improve your skills with your respective character(s) and help others to do the same. Although tbh and no offense to anyone in particular, but the majority of the people I've seen posting in here the past few days don't actually attend tournaments, so that might be the problem for some of you.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Yo metroid I heard you da bess Ike dawg
I don't know who told you that, but I really hope I'm not the best Ike haha. Unless I beat people Vro can't beat at The Big House 2, I highly doubt I'm the best. Kizzu should be up for contention too, but he doesn't have any tournaments to play at.

The problem is, we aren't ready for another release. We'd hype it up if it were close to being ready. That and, we're taking a different approach to 2.1 than we did with 1.0. With 1.0, the game was obsolete within 2 months of release with Magus fixing major gameplay issues nearly every week. We streamed dev builds/did character demo videos/blogposts because we wanted people to get hyped for the next release.... because we all felt that demo 1.0 was not a good indication whatsoever of what the final product would be, and had all stopped playing it because it was far worse than the dev build. 2.1, however, is a solid indication of what the final build will be mechanics-wise. There are still many things to fix, but it's not like 1.0 where it's already completely obsolete in reference to the current development build state. We'd rather you guys continue to enjoy 2.1 as it is right now and develop the metagame in order to give us insight on character balance and how match-ups play out at a high level than taint that by making you all hyped for something you won't be able to play for some time and uninterested in the current version.

We'll hype up a release when there's one in sight. In the meantime, there's a very good tournament game out there called Project M Demo 2.1 with literally hundreds of match-ups relevant to a competitive environment to explore. I suggest most of you to indeed head over to Smash Mods and see how you can improve your skills with your respective character(s) and help others to do the same. Although tbh and no offense to anyone in particular, but the majority of the people I've seen posting in here the past few days don't actually attend tournaments, so that might be the problem for some of you.
Thanks for repping the PMBR, Strong Bad.

And seriously guys, I'm getting tired of reading **** on nearly every page. If you have something cool to say about a character, say it here or at Smash Mods, but don't post unless you have something meaningful to say.

I'd also like to point out that practicing tech skill and playing in Training Mode or against level 1s is a great way to figure out more about your character; I've been putting in ~30-45 min of tech skill practice every day in preparation for The Big House 2, and I've gotten noticeably more consistent with stuff and figured out new things. Practice there and post your findings here or on Smash Mods, but don't clutter this thread with **** that doesn't contribute anything.

leelue said:
Being a minority is finally a good thing

PMS this weekend, ladies and ladymen
I wish you and Eli the best of luck! Sweep the top 2 and take down as many big names as you can :).

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'd be more than glad to go to any tournament anyone is willing to get me to. Fact of the matter is not everyone lives on the coasts or near major cities.

This paradoxical "Your input isn't valuable because you're geographically challenged" thing is rather irksome. You aren't good unless you go to tournaments, your opinion isn't valid if you aren't good, you can't get good without tournament experience, you can't go to tournaments if there aren't any within at least acceptable distance, and it can't be worth the expense to go far out of the way for tournaments with no prior experience with any other players. Not everyone has the luxury of being within an hour of New York and ready access to a player base.

Like sorry I live in Iowa I guess? It isn't as easy as "just have a tournament with all the 2 people who play the game near you."

I wonder how much a Greyhound costs to get from Waterloo to Eau Claire. Toaster Bros. are the closest players I have and they're still 4+ hours away. :/

Looks like about $90 directly from one to the other one-way booking a ticket for a close time-frame.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Of course. You can't let people know Sonic is secretly super ultra broken or he might get nerfed.
^ This is the kind of stuff I don't like seeing.

I'd be more than glad to go to any tournament anyone is willing to get me to. Fact of the matter is not everyone lives on the coasts or near major cities.

This paradoxical "Your input isn't valuable because you're geographically challenged" thing is rather irksome. You aren't good unless you go to tournaments, your opinion isn't valid if you aren't good, you can't get good without tournament experience, you can't go to tournaments if there aren't any within at least acceptable distance, and it can't be worth the expense to go far out of the way for tournaments with no prior experience with any other players. Not everyone has the luxury of being within an hour of New York and ready access to a player base.

Like sorry I live in Iowa I guess? It isn't as easy as "just have a tournament with all the 2 people who play the game near you."

I wonder how much a Greyhound costs to get from Waterloo to Eau Claire. Toaster Bros. are the closest players I have and they're still 4+ hours away. :/

Looks like about $90 directly from one to the other one-way booking a ticket for a close time-frame.
It sucks to be geographically shafted, it really does. It's the same with those who don't have any means of transportation, are under-aged, or have over-bearing parents. I was in that third group, but fortunately my parents stopped being as strict when I became a junior in high school.

However, you've got to make do with what you have. From what it seems, you only have a controller, a Project M setup, and the ability to get hitbox data. Even if you can't play anyone, you can still do great things by completing gaps in any existing frame data threads or execute tactics like edgeguarding methods or combos that you've theorized. If you can't record or post videos, I'm sure someone with a recording setup will be willing to record a saved replay or perform your tactic if you describe it. (I will do this for anyone who asks!)

The feedback from those who go to tournaments is valued because they are experienced, but people like you with no means of getting experience can still do great things and give good, useful feedback. I can go to tournaments and give feedback on match-ups based on personal experience, but I can't access hitbox information like you can. Contribute what you can and I'm sure that I won't be the only one who will appreciate your work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I'm growing more and more fond of wide, open stages like FD as a counter-pick to fast-fallers for Ike. At mid %s, NAir combos into anything regardless of DI; you can QD -> JC grab on DI away, UAir, reverse BAir, or FAir on DI in, or QD turnaround -> BAir DI up and away.

Speaking of reverse BAir, has anyone else figured out uses for reverse hits on their characters? Reverse BAir has done great things for Falco in Melee, I'd be shocked if there wasn't another good reverse hit waiting to be applied.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Metroid, be careful... You are proving my point how Ike can combo across stages no matter the DI. I got dismissed pretty quickly but it's true man... it's pretty BS. lol.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Technically other characters can combo over the whole length of a stage it's not like it's something new.

Falco, Falcon, Marth, Fox, Pikachu, Pit and other's vs the right characters can combo across the whole stage regardless of DI They just have to react in time. The problem with Ike is the margin of error almost doesn't exist in some cases. I can use Nair and hit anybody no matter where they go. I don't have to be as careful or try to line up hits. For years people joked about Marth being a "Just swing your sword" character so it's like...Ike just kind of manifests that joke.

This:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzMNN3HBXo

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The first part of the song felt unnecessarily sped up. The vocals felt choppy and def too fast. REG version of that song plz none of this remix blah blah although I appreciate you not ruining it with dubstep BWAAAPAAAAAP *BOOOOMBURRRRATUTUAAAAAAH*

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'm looking at it now...the sound for the song came out waaaaaaay different....twice....Not sure if I should say try redoing it...audio swap....or...just saying **** it for now...it's 7am and i haven't slept yet...fuuuuuuuuuu-

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Being a minority is finally a good thing

PMS this weekend, ladies and ladymen

I should be able to come visit ie Saturday evening and Sunday. I'd come prior to but college lol. I need to switch to night classes instead of weekend classes.

:phone:

Edit: also I pretty much see this as P:M GD since there hasn't been much discussion on the game past complaints and theorysmash and buff/nerf requests.

I wish we could hold some serious match up for more than a page but I pretty much give up now.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
If I had sdme sort of power, i'd do so.

I wish someone would go nazi mode and infract people.

I've tried reporting bu I have no clue if it had any effect.

So lol.

If you can't beat em...

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
In other news, I'm growing more and more fond of wide, open stages like FD as a counter-pick to fast-fallers for Ike. At mid %s, NAir combos into anything regardless of DI; you can QD -> JC grab on DI away, UAir, reverse BAir, or FAir on DI in, or QD turnaround -> BAir DI up and away.

I thought this was evident based on the fact that Ike is basically Falcon with a sword and sans a dash dance. FD also takes away platforms to pewpew on, gives less room for mobile characters to move around, and extends combos to a point of absurd reward for simple hitconfirms, which is why I always ban the stage in friendlies on which I've tested my stage list.

After FD he's got FoD, Dracular's, and/or GHZ depending on the matchup and number of bans allotted.

I have a poverty recording set up now.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ike's best stageis easily FoD. The degree in which he can abuse his aerials there is absurd. While most characters can get ****ed by moving plats, Ike just doesn't give a **** and just like disjoints through it all.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Nah, I have to throw the tourney on purpose so people don't think sonic is playable
Is that what we're supposed to be doing? I didn't get the memo. Does this mean I have to stop winning all of the DFW Project M tournaments?
Seriously though, I wish there wasn't such a huge gap between Texas and all the other PM groups, I'd love to come out and play you guys.

Edit: From the bit I've played Ike I've kind of found the FoD platforms annoying still. Its nice to short hop aerial onto them, sure, but once on them you can't drop with any aerial except back air. The only way to nair/fair off of them is to short hop and do it (unless they're at their highest position?), and thats pretty slow (especially in a position where your opponent can already be below you). Maybe falcon-style dairs would be what he needs there.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ill be in Tx this chistmas season soo...

Come visit houston then. Ill show you the true power of chaos control.

Edit: damn phone erased half my edit.

Tl;dr of what I was saying. Plats being slight risen extend ike's vertical range on aerials, making his moves that much more silly.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I was thinking more about how the slightly risen platforms negate a large portion of the end lag on his aerials when he SHs them since he doesn't have to fall onto the stage all the way before he can L-cancel.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Technically other characters can combo over the whole length of a stage it's not like it's something new.

Falco, Falcon, Marth, Fox, Pikachu, Pit and other's vs the right characters can combo across the whole stage regardless of DI They just have to react in time. The problem with Ike is the margin of error almost doesn't exist in some cases. I can use Nair and hit anybody no matter where they go. I don't have to be as careful or try to line up hits. For years people joked about Marth being a "Just swing your sword" character so it's like...Ike just kind of manifests that joke.

This:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzMNN3HBXo
Uhh what? All those characters you can escape the combos, sounds like you haven't played enough Melee yet!

Edit: Also why are people on my *** about Dacus all the ****ing time, it's completely overrated technique, omg..

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Not really. It's deff not overrated. It's a great techchase move as well as a good follow up on DI'd throws at mid percents. It's also nice for surprise attacks if you can do from a standstill

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Not really. It's deff not overrated. It's a great techchase move as well as a good follow up on DI'd throws at mid percents. It's also nice for surprise attacks if you can do from a standstill

When I played vs good players, I very rarely saw the opportunity to use it.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Maybe you're not used to it? Have you spent time in the lab searching for scenarios or just trying to fit it in a bunch of scenarios?

Maybe you could try different perspectives, mr. Kage sir.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra

You're in the midwest. For midwest players, "acceptable driving distance" is about 3-6 hours. Get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom