• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
So, it just occurred to me that Nintendo could probably use SOPA to go after sites hosting project m downloads. You guys worried about this at all?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
So, it just occurred to me that Nintendo could probably use SOPA to go after sites hosting project m downloads.
Could they? It's not like the download contains or links to the Brawl .iso. Nintendo is probably much more lenient than other companies; several of their employees gave a thumbs up to the Mother 3 fan translation, which wasn't entirely legal.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Rather, if there is a freeze, we try to isolate the cause by tracing back what we did and attmepting different removing/mixing variables until you find the combinationt hat causes the freeze. Then we fix it. Or we just know the cause from the code, depending on the situation.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Man, I really admire modders like you guys, as I would never have the patience to debug something like that. I'm far too spoiled by my IDEs and breakpoints telling me what I did wrong in my code. I can hardly even wrap my head around coding in raw hex instead of a more readable programming language either. Seriously, working on smartphone apps has nothing on what you guys do.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Rather, if there is a freeze, we try to isolate the cause by tracing back what we did and attmepting different removing/mixing variables until you find the combinationt hat causes the freeze. Then we fix it. Or we just know the cause from the code, depending on the situation.
This is quite true.

We don't really leave things that cause random freezing around in the code these days. I think the only crashes I ever get are related to my USB loader.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Thanks, we always appreciate the compliment.

The you can do for us is just to enjoy the game and talk about it to help us build a strong community. :)

Dantarion

Smash Champion
nintendo doesnt give a ****, they also dont have a history of hunting down stuff like this
I believe ages ago, back in the Brawl+ days, someone attempted to send Nintendo an email.
Nothing happened. I host the P:M site, OpenSA wiki, and kc-mm.com.

Nintendo don't care about smash mods.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Man, I really admire modders like you guys, as I would never have the patience to debug something like that. I'm far too spoiled by my IDEs and breakpoints telling me what I did wrong in my code. I can hardly even wrap my head around coding in raw hex instead of a more readable programming language either. Seriously, working on smartphone apps has nothing on what you guys do.
Also, no one really codes in raw hex. PSA or whatever u want to call it is more of a scripting language, and the people who make the ASM codes actually do have breakpoints, by using usbgecko.

I have memory addresses I can set breakpoints on to step through PSA, and through the AI's scripting language, but this is definetly one of the hardest games to debug. Galaxy is the hardest ive tried.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see dantarion is back popping his face around here. He was a gentleman. Anyway has anyone thought of allowing the direction down (as in pressing down while using the wiimote or moving the left thumbstick down) to a button? Falling through platforms is hard as hell.

:phone:

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Ah, so it's not quite as terrifying as I thought. I've never had the time to take more than a passing look at how any of this stuff is done, and most of what I find starts me at using a hex editor, so I just stopped there.

I do have an on and off project in the works that takes a lot of inspiration from smash, so watching the way character designs get done around here is quite informative, even if the coding isn't really applicable to what I'm doing. I just wish I was competent at art so I could actually figure out some character designs and stop having everything being represented by squares and rectangles.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Lol, I'd say PSA looks a bit like a simplified Ruby. Most things are annotated for you. You could probably easily get into it if you'd like to mess with it one day.Doing the PSA work is not that hard. I guess what is harder is actually getting the balance just right; the entire balancing process.

Oh and when your project's done, do come and tell me about it, I'm curious :p.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
does your name imply that you spam arrows..

or that you represent arrows made out of spam?
my original name was actually something else but I became known as Spam_arrows when I decided to make an official account on smashboards and I only did so because I heard a rumor that someone was hacking Wii's to make brawl play like Melee.(I came looking for this project but found brawl+) Was fun....but this project is better.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
And i really hate wavelanding out of blaster.

is it the same timing as fox or falco or have u just never played a spacie?
Idk. i've never played a spacie on a serious attempt to learn them. My falco is just for ****s and giggles (see stream)

Wolf is someone I'm trying to learn.

I want to say it's easier than falco, because i felt like i had a harder time with falco when i was ****ing around with him.

but idk since i dont play spacies.

But seriously. **** waveshining and wavelanding out of blaster.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Lol, I'd say PSA looks a bit like a simplified Ruby. Most things are annotated for you. You could probably easily get into it if you'd like to mess with it one day.Doing the PSA work is not that hard. I guess what is harder is actually getting the balance just right; the entire balancing process.
Simplified Ruby, huh? I've glanced at Ruby before and it looked like a fun language to use. I have programming experience (mostly C++) though it's a bit rusty since I haven't had a project to work on since college.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
can you not stream now supper sanic?
i could but no one wants to see me work in the lab.

I hope that your Wolf becomes 100% better than your Falco. That ***** makes people vomit :glare:

Also, what's wrong with waveshining .-.
My wolf is already better than my falco.

And waveshining is a ***** to do lol

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Yeah, a lot of my waveshining involves me side-B'ing off the stage.
Holy crap I got post 50k without looking, lucky! Here's to another 50k, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom