• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project SA Q&A

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Phoenix Mario's downB only makes a sound when it hits something, is it possible to script a sound to play during a move always?

Is it possible to flip animations around? Lets say I want marios Back air to be his Forward air, but reversed.

PosthumusES

Smash Apprentice
can you modify the size of a character physical features and have it hitbox affected? Such as Marth's sword being longer and have a longer range. And how is this possible?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
if i wanted to, say, give a character a 'push' mechanic, but wanted, say, to use an AT's visual (isaac's hand) would that be possible?

FireC

Smash Cadet
Will another example (such as Phoenix Mario) of what Project SA can do be released, or is the beta release too close to release for that to be done?

TheEnigmaLiesBroken

Smash Cadet
Normally I wouldn't bother coming to SWF to ask these questions cuz I can give them to phantom directly on GSC, but I thought that it might be interesting to see if anyone else had any input on the ideas that are running through my head at the moment.

1.)
Push effect = wind effect???
As FrozenPopo pointed out above. Would it be possible to give a character a "push" mechanic like Isaac's AT visual. With the coming model hacks and the advancement of this program, I'm already making lists of characters that I'd like to have created, or create myself. Isaac is my absolute top priority, then mewtwo, and I was curious if the "push" effect is universal like the fire effects and such, or is it character specific and unable to be given to just anyone? I can guess that its possibly character specific only to characters like Mario and Squirtle - But then again, would a wind effect accomplish the same thing? Since the wind effect is universal, would it be possible to do it with that instead. And/Or are the wind effect and "push" effect just the same thing :p

2.)
cross character attacks
I've been thinking, if I were to do a mewtwo mockup, I'd try to get him as close to melee as possible with a few brawl mechanics as well. But since you're saying that its currently not possible to modify certain things about characters, I'm going to ask becauase i'm not 100% sure exactly whats going on with it.

Say I wanted to give him Ness's jump, ZSS's Dsmash, Lucario's Aura Sphere, Zelda's Up special... for starters...

that's currently impossible right? The hotboxes and stuff would remain, im assuiming (that's what it looked like your code said) but he wouldn't do a flip (ness) a downward point (zss), the charge animation (lucario) - unless the character that i chose to modify also had similar animations such as that? In that case, I believe it won't be possible just yet to make a mewtwo-like character until the model hacks are finished.

3.)
building off number 2
I want to give peach a Falcon Pawnch for laffs. I think a punching animation similar to falcon but with the effect of her Peach boomer instead of the fire falcon would be pretty cool XD (more knockback so it has the pawnch power of course) - Im sure answering 2 will answer 3, but its worth putting it out there for giggles.

4.)
Movement Additions
Along with being able to create hitboxes, could you modify characters movements during an animation as well? For example, your phoenix mario - when you use his side B, could you make him move slightly forward as well (like... falcon kick)? So not only would it be a triple kick, it'd would be a dashing attack too.

If that's possible, I'd also like to know the if its would be possible to modify gravity during an attack in the air. Say, if the above is possible, make it so that when using the side B attack he slows in his fall (a stall, like using the cape) That way it could be used as a recovery mechanic in the air, like marth's Dancing blade was in melee.

5.)
projectile mechanics
you said that its not possible to modify projectiles, so I just want to know what in the world did you do to get PMario's fireballs to only fall downwards, then move across the ground with the new blast fire animation? that was pretty awesome.

6.)
attack angles
I'm sure this is silly but i must ask along with making your own hitboxes, can you modity the angle at which the attacks effect the opponents?

7.)
Random question
Do you think you can figure out exactly what gives characters a "Dacus" and reproduce it with other characters? =D

8.)
Transformations
Have you looked into transformations yet with your project?
If its set into the moveset, i'd liek to know if its character specific, or if you can dictate which character that it will transform into. I think it'd be cool if you could turn from zelda to charizard, then back to zelda, or something insane like that. Could be useful for future ideas.

and now the big one...

9.)
Kirby Hats
Building off number 8, along with the transformations, has anyone tried swallowing Pmario with kirby yet? I'd like to know what happens. I'm sure it'll just be mario's regular fireballs but its worth a shot :p

I had the idea after I packed up my wii earlier, so I never got around to testing it myself. Do kirby's hats call on whatever is in the mario file? or are all of his attacks from his hats piled into his own Effect file? In that case, would it be possible to recode other characters effect files and give them the ability to have "hat" effects of their own??? I'm not a megaman fan myself, but seriously >.< That's definitely where this is leading. His neutral B can be similar to samus, and his side B can be his "vaccum" where he clones others moves and reproduces them in a shooting motion like samus's missles. (I'd like to see him shooting ivysaur's razor leaves out of his gun) - and since it could be more then just your opponent's B move, instead of only cloning SideB moves, maybe he could clone combinations of moves. Ivysaur's Side B, mario's B, luigi's B, Snake's Side B, bowser's Flame thrower (lol, flamethrower gun) Peach could give him a turnip gun? o-o - the possibilities there are pretty wild.

I think that's all that's been on my mind in the last few hours. Now that I think about it, I'll probably just PM this to phantom on GSC too

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Can you remove the animation where tethers grab the ledge and instead replace it with where tethers grab a part of the stage?

(like in melee)

Will we be able to force characters to stay in hitstun animation longer/shorter.....Thus fixing individual hitstun.

Can you edit item properties like Links bombs?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This looks really cool; I'm mostly curious about several types of things that may be possible.

1. Are special dependent variables generally modifiable with this? By this I mean things like how the game decides how much damage Pk Flash does (the hitbox itself has a dummy value for damage) or how long Yoshi's Egg Lay traps the opponents.

2. Are the mobility properties of moves alterable by this? For instance, let's say I wanted to make Sonic fall faster during his down aerial or make Link gain more height from his aerial Spin Attack. Can this be done? Would it be possible to even do radical things like, say, make Lucario's down aerial halt his aerial momentum like Mr. Game & Watch's bucket does?

3. Is it possible to set actions to rely on conditional flags and counters via this? By this I mean is it possible to do things like make a move doable only once in the air and then not again unless the character either lands on the ground or is hit, like removing the helpless fall state on a random up special like Link's and then not letting him up special again until those conditions occur (though he can still do everything else, like how Snake is after he uses his up special). Likewise you have the case of how Ike's Aether can only grab the ledge 7 times and tethers in general can only grab it three times without touching the ground; can those sort of counters be added to other actions?

Those are the main useful questions I can ask, but pure curiousity leads me to a few others...

1. Is the Pokemon Trainer himself (the guy in the background) managed by the same action system and thus modifiable via this, or is he a special sort of thing that isn't really malleable via this sort of system?

2. Are grabboxes modifiable the same way as hitboxes via this? For instance, let's say I wanted to make a broken version of King Dedede with triple range on all of his grabs; would that be possible?

This is really a very interesting project, and I wish you success. Your work always is and remains truly impressive.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
PW, there is something called transcendental priority, where a hitbox of a move will ignore other hitboxes and only collide with hurtboxes. A good example of this is MK's fsmash. It doesn't clank with any ground move, including itself. Lasers also have this unique property.

Would it be possible to edit whether a move has transcendental priority or not?

MaxThunder

PM Support
would you be able to give pokemon trainer's individual pokemon a new down-b each and still have them change on d-b if you choose pt?

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
-How much knowledge of coding do we need to use SA?
-Will you be making a tutorial?
-You said that SA can't modify props. Does Lucario's Aura Sphere count as a prop?
-Have you had any luck figuring out props, or has that just been a complete bust so far?
-Did you enjoy working on SA?
-Do you plan on making any more characters yourself once SA is complete?
-Was making PMario hard?
-Did you make his fair broken just for the lulz?
-Do you plan to change PMario yourself, or are you going to leave that to other people once SA is out?
-Do you have any plans to help Pharrox with his model inserter, now that you've brought us one step closer to truly custom characters?
-Do you know what project you're going to make next? I'm not asking you to tell us what it is, of course :p.
-Are you God?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
1. Can we please not call it SA? (I keep confusing this with Super Armor lol)
2. Do you agree that Plan Zero sounds cooler?
3. How do you feel about us calling it PZ for short?

T_T

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to add jumps to characters? For example, could you make charazard have three jumps instead of two?

Also, could you alter the speed when gliding with character? Would it be possible to slow down metaknight's glide and speed up charizard's?

You said you could make Link's down B generate items, but would it be possible to make it act like turnip pluck and, for example, make it have a small chance of generating a deku nut? On the subject of random modifiers, would it also be possible to create moves like peach's F-smash or luigi's missile which change randomly?

stickman

Smash Apprentice
I am confused about one thing though. I know in the first post, you mentioned that as long as the character has something to reference from, it can be used as an attack. How was PMario's flame sword possible if outside items arent really editable yet? or is it because mario has the unique swinging motion that can have anything else replace what he is holding (if that makes sense)?

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I am confused about one thing though. I know in the first post, you mentioned that as long as the character has something to reference from, it can be used as an attack. How was PMario's flame sword possible if outside items arent really editable yet? or is it because mario has the unique swinging motion that can have anything else replace what he is holding (if that makes sense)?
That's exactly it. It's the animation for swinging, plus effects and a hitbox.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
it's because mario has the motion of swinging a beam sword that PW can use that motion to make an attack for mario. He just added a fire effect to the new "attack" and viola! flame sword attack!

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
Can we make the input more than just Up-A/Up-B/Side-A and whatnot?

Like......

D,DF,F B (or A) For like a special move?
Just for the lolz?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Can you remove/add items to characters temporary/permanently? Ganondorf's sword, Toon/Link's Shield/Sword/Bow, etc?

Almas

Smash Lord
This looks really cool; I'm mostly curious about several types of things that may be possible.

1. Are special dependent variables generally modifiable with this? By this I mean things like how the game decides how much damage Pk Flash does (the hitbox itself has a dummy value for damage) or how long Yoshi's Egg Lay traps the opponents.

2. Are the mobility properties of moves alterable by this? For instance, let's say I wanted to make Sonic fall faster during his down aerial or make Link gain more height from his aerial Spin Attack. Can this be done? Would it be possible to even do radical things like, say, make Lucario's down aerial halt his aerial momentum like Mr. Game & Watch's bucket does?

3. Is it possible to set actions to rely on conditional flags and counters via this? By this I mean is it possible to do things like make a move doable only once in the air and then not again unless the character either lands on the ground or is hit, like removing the helpless fall state on a random up special like Link's and then not letting him up special again until those conditions occur (though he can still do everything else, like how Snake is after he uses his up special). Likewise you have the case of how Ike's Aether can only grab the ledge 7 times and tethers in general can only grab it three times without touching the ground; can those sort of counters be added to other actions?

I'm almost certain that all three of these are yes. The first half of 2) can already be done by creatively using the codes in place.

Shadic said:
Can you remove/add items to characters temporary/permanently? Ganondorf's sword, Toon/Link's Shield/Sword/Bow, etc?
Already possible using Prop Hacks. I guess I can see the use of it being doable in SA too.

Roy-G-Biv said:
Can we make the input more than just Up-A/Up-B/Side-A and whatnot?
I actually wouldn't be surprised. Consider Marth's Dancing Blade.

Swordplay said:
Can you remove the animation where tethers grab the ledge and instead replace it with where tethers grab a part of the stage?

(like in melee)

Will we be able to force characters to stay in hitstun animation longer/shorter.....Thus fixing individual hitstun.

Can you edit item properties like Links bombs?
1) That would require a fundamental rework of how tethers operate. I don't believe it is within reach at this point, but it probably isn't impossible.

2) Yes, I am fairly sure the files modified will contain the value for the character's individual hitstun constant, and so can be modified.

3) Not at this point in time, but it is within reach of the scope of the program.

mofo said:
can you edit throws?/grabs?
Yes, almost certainly.

CountKaiser said:
Would it be possible to edit whether a move has transcendental priority or not?
See above.

Bear in mind that I haven't run the program myself. I'm just making semi-informed guesses.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I think "melee weapon swings" (weapons that you beat people with) are character specific animations as well, and are loaded with the character.

Other situational animations that would fall under that are specific ways that the characters hold an item during use (like super scope holding poses?), or item tossing animations. When he says you can't edit items, I think he means the item's specific properties (or the item's specific animation, like the path a warp start takes or something <_<).

Hope this helps

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Can you use final smashes without needing a smash ball?

EX: Sheik's neutral-b becomes Light arrow instead of needle

Plus can you chain together mutliple moves at once, once the initial attack lands successfully?

Edit: Im soooooooooo giving sheik chidori with this

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Would there be any way to add a code to an already existing move to preform something totally different? (I'm thinking Dr. Mario hack here) Like, say, mashing B makes Dr. Mario's tornado go higher and such?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
well, he's already said you can give X-character's moves to character-Y, just not the animation. so it should be possible.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
I assume so, since he bound the three ftilts to side b. You could bind mario's dair to down b, and slow down the animation a tad, or make it repeat 25% of the way through.

Top Bottom