• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Volnutt - Currently seeking animators!

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Oh... hmm... well, then, yeah, I guess I'd wait for fortwaffles to respond to your message. In the mean time, did the peanut sized model have those glitches? If not, maybe try to see any strange scaling differences between the two.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Oh... hmm... well, then, yeah, I guess I'd wait for fortwaffles to respond to your message. In the mean time, did the peanut sized model have those glitches? If not, maybe try to see any strange scaling differences between the two.
It doesn't. I'm not sure what you'd mean by strange scaling differences, though.

Fen__

Smash Ace
Since it is now Monday (technically Tuesday where I'm at), have you heard anything from fortwaffles?

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Man, I hope you get this sorted out. I tried to find an mld0 of Doc but to no avail :( Ill just wait until BB .64 I guess...

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
If this doesn't work, I've found out that the Zero Project uses PSA scaling. I'm assuming that means one of two things:

1. Hurtboxes and effects can be scaled down afterwards, or
2. Animations done on a small character can be ported easily to a big character.

Either way, I could just get started animating on my tiny character, and either scale him later or downscale his stuff.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Yeah, while youre waiting, I guess you should start animating. I'll make some alt costumes when I get the time.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
If this doesn't work, I've found out that the Zero Project uses PSA scaling. I'm assuming that means one of two things:

1. Hurtboxes and effects can be scaled down afterwards, or
2. Animations done on a small character can be ported easily to a big character.

Either way, I could just get started animating on my tiny character, and either scale him later or downscale his stuff.
PSA scaling doesn't affect hitboxes, only te size of the character. So if you make a size 3 hitbox, it'll always be the same size no matter how you scale the model itself.

Fen__

Smash Ace
PSA scaling doesn't affect hitboxes, only te size of the character. So if you make a size 3 hitbox, it'll always be the same size no matter how you scale the model itself.
Nope. PSA scaling affects the hurtboxes, but not the hitboxes (i.e. the boxes for detecting the character being hit, but not them hitting). What you said works for "hitboxes" but not "hurtboxes". If you watch BSZ's latest two videos, you can see that Zero takes damage from really far away. I asked in the mdl0 thread about it, but BSZ hadn't responded last time I checked.

Mka

Smash Rookie
Where is this "project zero" thread? I want to see whats going down with them.

Fen__

Smash Ace
From what I've seen Eldiran/BSZ posting around, it seems like they aren't worried about animating, just the PSA work for the PSA-scaled model. Of course, I could be misinterpreting the little tidbits I've seen them post to evidence this.

Have you begun animating on the tiny model?

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Can you port the animations from TvC anyway? I think you can since thats what they did with Zero

If ever though, I'd be willing to try animating him :D

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Can you port the animations from TvC anyway? I think you can since thats what they did with Zero

If ever though, I'd be willing to try animating him :D
Zero's all custom. I've been trying to rip animations, but I can't find them on the disc. I think I'll just record a short video of all of Volnutt's moves and make frame by frame reference images. It'll take a while, but I think it'll look good.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I've recorded a video that has all of Volnutt's animations in it. I'll be ripping gifs as reference for animations. First up is Wait1

If anyone wants to animate, the ZakoGirl00.pac on the front page has the model we'll be using.

EDIT: Coming along nicely, relatively speaking.

Giygue

Smash Journeyman
nice job so far! it looks awesome. but one thing is bugging the heck out of me...why does he have all of his weapons out at once?

diosensakiara

Smash Apprentice
so Digiholic did the polygon stretching thing get fixed,and does he not run in place anymore? =3

Fen__

Smash Ace
I've recorded a video that has all of Volnutt's animations in it. I'll be ripping gifs as reference for animations. First up is Wait1

If anyone wants to animate, the ZakoGirl00.pac on the front page has the model we'll be using.

EDIT: Coming along nicely, relatively speaking.
The ZakoGirl00.pac? Why are you doing it over an alloy? Won't that cause porting problems?

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Yeah, wouldn't it be nicer to have it ported over first on another character like Rob?
I'll be watching some TvC vids to see too

BTW: We should make his running animation like Lan Hikari in MMBN, it seems better don't cha think?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
nice job so far! it looks awesome. but one thing is bugging the heck out of me...why does he have all of his weapons out at once?
That's just how the model is. I plan on making them over ROB's effects and polygon delete them from his original model.

so Digiholic did the polygon stretching thing get fixed,and does he not run in place anymore? =3
Haven't fixed the polygon thing, but I think it'll be easy to fix once Brawlbox 0.64 is released next week.

The ZakoGirl00.pac? Why are you doing it over an alloy? Won't that cause porting problems?
I was just saying that the most recent version of the MDL0 is in the ZakoGirl pac on page 1. It's going on ROB, I'm just far too lazy to upload a new file.

I'll be watching some TvC vids to see too

BTW: We should make his running animation like Lan Hikari in MMBN, it seems better don't cha think?
I'll upload the animation test to youtube, and I'll still make gifs. (I can easily rip individual frames from a gif)

Lan's run seems like a good run animation for Volnutt.

So, are you officially joining the project, then?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Do you mean in the pictures of the BB Model Viewer? The same thing happens with Pit where you can always see his shield as well as his split bow and whole bow.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Ok I know how to partially edit the animations :), the bones are a bit confusing though

Nice video, I can get more out of it now

EDIT: Where is Megaman Facing on the default view in BrawlBox?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
He's facing left in-game, forward in Brawlbox. So, to see how it would look in game, just rotate the camera so he's facing left.

As far as the bones go, look for three bones named X, Y, and Z. All the bones after that are the animating ones. No idea what the other hundred-something do.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I'm already trying out doing the WalkSlow animation, basing the frames of Sonic

What bone is the one controlling the lower half of his body? Also the knees?
I kinda almost got it lol

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
Coming from someone who played Megaman Legends as a kid and mains Volnutt in Tatsunoko vs Capcom, I am very, very excited for this project. =D

Let's see...well, since there's no canon upwards shield movement, I guess you could be creative with the Up-B. Maybe a cypher type move or something, using the shield as an upwards parachute XD

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
How did fortwaffles scale the model BTW? I just wanna know, while doing that, i'm working on the walk and i'm not sure if I should modify the Translation yet

EDIT: >.< Walking animation is too hard lol, I think I should start on the small things first
Will try to do Guard

EDIT2: I used SonicMotionEtc, is that okay?

EDIT4: I made my own Wait1, also Guard (from Wait1 transition), GuardOn, and GuardDamage (no Guard Off yet though)

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Coming from someone who played Megaman Legends as a kid and mains Volnutt in Tatsunoko vs Capcom, I am very, very excited for this project. =D

Let's see...well, since there's no canon upwards shield movement, I guess you could be creative with the Up-B. Maybe a cypher type move or something, using the shield as an upwards parachute XD
I'd make his up-B a Shoryuken followed by a buster shot upwards. But, I my favorite character in MvC2 was Cyclops...

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
Oh, so you've been trying to rip the animations from TvC too? I should probably share what I've found and maybe you can get a bit further then I did...

I've been trying to break down the .mot files (which I'm guessing stands for Motion), and I think their file structure is a bit similar to ARC/PAC files, because with some minor header editing (I have no idea how to do this properly) It opens with BrawlBox, and even has a folder called "AnimationData", but I'm unable to open it.

I know TvC uses the same type of animations as Brawl, because you can find other animations in character effects and stages from TvC. But I think those need some editing too to work with Brawl...

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
How did fortwaffles scale the model BTW? I just wanna know, while doing that, i'm working on the walk and i'm not sure if I should modify the Translation yet

EDIT: >.< Walking animation is too hard lol, I think I should start on the small things first
Will try to do Guard

EDIT2: I used SonicMotionEtc, is that okay?

EDIT4: I made my own Wait1, also Guard (from Wait1 transition), GuardOn, and GuardDamage (no Guard Off yet though)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i22/xtremitus/untitled-3.png

Wow, this is why I don't animate, I can't get out stuff anywhere near this quality this fast (I haven't even finished the Wait1 >_<)

Regarding the picture, what did you do to the Drill Arms? If you scale any bones in their animations, the animation won't work on the vertex scaled model.

SonicMotionEtc will be fine, we can just export the animation and import it into ROB's.

I guess I could try to tackle the running animation, once I figure out how to get him to actually move.

Oh, so you've been trying to rip the animations from TvC too? I should probably share what I've found and maybe you can get a bit further then I did...

I've been trying to break down the .mot files (which I'm guessing stands for Motion), and I think their file structure is a bit similar to ARC/PAC files, because with some minor header editing (I have no idea how to do this properly) It opens with BrawlBox, and even has a folder called "AnimationData", but I'm unable to open it.

I know TvC uses the same type of animations as Brawl, because you can find other animations in character effects and stages from TvC. But I think those need some editing too to work with Brawl...
Well, I couldn't crack the file types, so I'm just planning on making the animations from scratch using the games animations as reference.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Hmm, well my Wait1 is only 1 frame for now, but I did get to make proper transitions from Wait1 to GuardOn, then Guard, Guard damage as well (I had to do it in Sonic's animation file but if it doesn't work ingame I'll just export the CLR0 file into Zakogirl)
The squat animation might need some tweaking, but I'ma send you the file when I get back from school :D

Regarding the picture, before animating, I just turn off all polygons first and flickered the parts I found basic and important. I did make a list on Notepad on which polygons are turned on lol

I forgot to mention that in my squat, I used a transition of the whole body to the ground so I'm not sure if it will work properly (if it doesn't though, I'll fix it up)

Another reason I didn't want to do Walk was because it wasn't scaled properly yet

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I just tested it and it seems Kei_Takaro's animations don't work on the scaled model >_<
It might have something to do with the translations of the bones.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I just tested it and it seems Kei_Takaro's animations don't work on the scaled model >_<
It might have something to do with the translations of the bones.
I think I'll just wait for the scaled model
Anyway, I can redo it on the scaled one, so yeah ^_^ no problem here

In another topic, wanna go join me in Project Gold Feather? =D
I'm sure we can team up to finish Volnutt and Chocobo

Top Bottom