• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Brisbane/Gold Coast Meets & Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Alright, looks friggin awesome, I'll check it out sometime tomorrow =)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I prefer Brisbane venues. The city seems much better connected to transport than the Gold Coast does. Just in case I want to travel to a local tournament

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Yeah you're right. The train line sort of dumps you inland on the Gold Coast where all the best **** is actually on the coast line.

just sucks driving to bris for every tourney, miss so many doubles events :(.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Well Vyse and I will update you with details of this new venue... We're hoping to at least book it for 10 hours a day. Therefore we can have bi-weekly Brawl AND Melee on the same day, unless bi-weekly Brelee is too much for you guys =P

Just hit me up with any suggestions of yours, I'm open for ideas.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I prefer Brisbane venues. The city seems much better connected to transport than the Gold Coast does. Just in case I want to travel to a local tournament
I agree wholeheartedly. It's why I'm very keen on the South Brisbane venue.
Access by train is amazing!
Epic Parking.
Amazingly Affordable.
A lot of space.
Right where it's at in Brisbane City.

I couldn't believe it. It's right next to where GenCon was.

The only venues I've ever liked are the Helensvale venue for QBB and the Valley PCYC because all you have to do is get on a train and travel straight there.

Robina's Dexterity Games venue and all of the LanSmash's (including the one coming up), I've been really harsh on accessibility. Whilst both are great venues, neither are directly accessible by train.

Having to make the transfer to a bus is not difficult if you REALLY want to be there, but for the every gamer that I'm trying to appeal to, to introduce them to competitive smash, for every person who might think 'I like this game, I might give it a go', it makes it that much harder to get to the venue. They might just say 'Nah CBF' and that's another person gone.

The three things I look for above all else are:

1. Accessibility by direct train + Minimal walking
2. Cost
3. Location

Everything else is secondary.

Sieg

Smash Champion
If you can't catch a bus with the same ticket you catch a train with, you're slack and don't deserve to be at a tournament.

****, you can walk to Robina Town Centre in like, 10 minutes.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Either way, the new venue location is just too perfect.
The only way it could possibly be better is if it was inside Queen Street Mall.

EDIT: 10 minutes? Is that walking at your pace, or at a normal pace? Otherwise that's pretty good. Chris just kept talking about buses, and the first thing I thought was 'Ugh'.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Like, every bus goes through the Town Centre anyway.

There is a bus stop across the road from PMS.

I don't think you understand how easy it is to get there.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I do understand it's relatively easy, and realise that it's a bad example since you can just walk there.

I just don't like Buses. And any situation that puts a venue next to a train station is ultimately going to be better and simple. It's a nit-picky thing, but it's enough of an issue to me to pick one venue over another.

Looking at it objectively, it does ask a bit much, but that's just how I look at venues. Getting people in the door is my number one priority most of the time.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Ok called up the place, it's booked every Saturday till 2pm, so we can have it at 3pm and stay till pretty much just before midnight =) Will get booking soon.

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
Ok called up the place, it's booked every Saturday till 2pm, so we can have it at 3pm and stay till pretty much just before midnight =) Will get booking soon.
YAY now we can sleep in and dont have to get up at crazy hours in the morning! And i could even come about 6ish after work

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Do the non-Rocky people want to play some amount of smash on the weekend?

After the Melee tournament the other weekend, I want to play Marth more.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
There was smash last night, WHERE WERE YOU!

EDIT: Almost forgot, me and Rob and Bob recorded 90 minutes of Melee matches. lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom