• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Radford Tournament thread | testing

so there's another smashfest going down soon?
No, no one's interested in my tournaments anymore. You all suck. Well, there are final exams approaching so I can see why you nigggas missed dropped out. I'm not hosting anymore events, but anyone can message me if anyone wants to Smash on the weekend.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
yo there was another reason redd i swear to god and you can blame the 20 people that showed up uninvited to nathans place who then took the places of people that were going to play melee.
I mean I can understand unforseen circumstances, but just ****ing call me last time so I don't sit around.

Uncledirtnap

Smash Apprentice
OK people at Radford, I'm gonna have a bunch of 1hour+ gaps in my schedule on a bunch of days if anyone is interested in playing at some points some days and stuff and junk

OK people at Radford, I'm gonna have a bunch of 1hour+ gaps in my schedule on a bunch of days if anyone is interested in playing at some points some days and stuff and junk
My schedule is like

9am-12pm classes (3 classes, could be a bad choice)

2pm class

this is from Memory like 5 months ago.

I may also make this event for Brawl players, maybe.

Also, I've made a few changes to the original post. The main change to notice is the new rulesest.

My defense on why I want this in my tournaments

Neutrals only: If you look at what stages everyone plays during friendlies, 99% of the time it's on neutrals. I think that shows how unimporant counter pick stages are. Besides, a lot of people complain about broken counter picks.

MetaKnight banned: MetaKnight is the best counter to every character, including MetaKnight. At Apex, when I walked around, on about 1/3 of every tv, there was a MetaKnight playing. If MetaKnight is so commonly played, the game will just get dull fast. With MetaKnight gone, a lot of characters will be freed from the MetaKnight oppression.

Jigglypuff banned in teams (Melee): Jigglypuff has everything going for her. First of all, she has a one hit kill (rest), and with all the chaos that happens in teams, she will almost always be waken up before a good rest punish can be set up. Then add on her ability to save opponents far better than anyone else and her edgeguard game is far off stage. It's really difficult to interrupt her edgeguard if you can't reach her. Maybe. I don't know if I'm really going to test this out.

Mahone

Smash Champion
My schedule is like

9am-12pm classes (3 classes, could be a bad choice)

2pm class

this is from Memory like 5 months ago.

I may also make this event for Brawl players, maybe.

Also, I've made a few changes to the original post. The main change to notice is the new rulesest.

My defense on why I want this in my tournaments

Neutrals only: If you look at what stages everyone plays during friendlies, 99% of the time it's on neutrals. I think that shows how unimporant counter pick stages are. Besides, a lot of people complain about broken counter picks.

MetaKnight banned: MetaKnight is the best counter to every character, including MetaKnight. At Apex, when I walked around, on about 1/3 of every tv, there was a MetaKnight playing. If MetaKnight is so commonly played, the game will just get dull fast. With MetaKnight gone, a lot of characters will be freed from the MetaKnight oppression.

Jigglypuff banned in teams (Melee): Jigglypuff has everything going for her. First of all, she has a one hit kill (rest), and with all the chaos that happens in teams, she will almost always be waken up before a good rest punish can be set up. Then add on her ability to save opponents far better than anyone else and her edgeguard game is far off stage. It's really difficult to interrupt her edgeguard if you can't reach her.
If you are going to ban jiggs you should ban fox from teams, hes better than her on teams, also when i walk around during teams i see fox on 99% of the tvs.

If you are going to ban jiggs you should ban fox from teams, hes better than her on teams, also when i walk around during teams i see fox on 99% of the tvs.
I don't know If I'm really going to do that, but I want to see others reactions as well. How is Fox better than Jigglypuff on teams? I don't really see him having anything as good as an unpunishable ohko.

CTL17

Smash Lord
I also saw Foxes on 99% of the TVs in singles. In fact, I saw a character beginning with F and/or containing an o on 117% of the TVs.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Jiggs isn't even close to overpowered enough to warrant a ban, even in teams. Rest isn't any more broken than shine spikes or Marth gimps. Idk if I would consider Fox better than Jiggs in teams, but I'd definitely say a team of double Foxes is way better than a team of double Jiggs.

rhan

Smash Hero
doing some segments of everyone in this region to try and attract more people down here i suppose.
Would this only include the players from your part of the region? If not you gotta throw some of us eastern SoVa players. Especially Ether.

'sup gaiz. :)

Jiggs isn't even close to overpowered enough to warrant a ban, even in teams. Rest isn't any more broken than shine spikes or Marth gimps. Idk if I would consider Fox better than Jiggs in teams, but I'd definitely say a team of double Foxes is way better than a team of double Jiggs.
It's a one hit kill that pretty much always kills anyone that's not at 0% on DreamLand, and it's difficult to punish well in teams. Shine spikes have to be off the stage whereas Jigglypuff's rest can be on stage where 95% of the battle is fought. Marth gimps take forever and he stays closer to the stage than Jigglypuff, so his gimps are more interruptible. I don't think Jigglypuff has much of anything that can work well with herself but with anyone else it's really good.

Mahone

Smash Champion
uh, fox can 1 v 2 much better than jiggs can, he can help out his teammate alot better because he is so fast, he can get grabs better than jiggs can and also has a great moveset for team comboing....

also rest isnt a one hit kill, especially in teams, if your teammate is paying attention they can prevent jiggs from getting rest combos such as upthrow rest on spacies and can even hit you right after you get rested to cancel the knockback

the issue is the same as in singles... no one knows how to fight puff.
In teams you should really just 2 v 1 the other person and kind of block out the puff from helping, if instead you try to play it like another team the jiggs can just rest spam and it works.

Uncledirtnap

Smash Apprentice
Ballin! Glad you are gonna host!
one thing about melee, since there are so few stages maybe get rid of stage bans?
I may be biased because I don't really mind taking any character to any stage and i can see how some people wouldnt want to face marth o blah blah or fox on blah blah, but I had a point and I lost it in the Blahs

Ballin! Glad you are gonna host!
one thing about melee, since there are so few stages maybe get rid of stage bans?
I may be biased because I don't really mind taking any character to any stage and i can see how some people wouldnt want to face marth o blah blah or fox on blah blah, but I had a point and I lost it in the Blahs
I found your point, and it's a good point.

With counterpicking without the counterpick stages (minus Pokemon Stadium), there's less of a chance of having a **** counterpick, but it can still exist on neutral stages (Marth vs Fox on Final D). Like if Fox wins game 1, Marth can just counterpick Final D since there's no bans and auto win (I use auto win as an exaggeration. 30:70 is winnable).

But then there's DSR, which is like bans but it only applies to stages you've already played on. DSR gets more significant as more games are played.

I'm also thinking about keeping Kongo Jungle on. I find it almost a neutral stage, just somewhere slightly farther away from it than Pokemon Stadium. With Kongo Jungle 64, That brings 7 stages total and I could just make the neutral/only stage list all 7 stages. GENESIS did that and it worked out pretty well (from my tournament experience). However, I've heard that stage promotes gay camping. But so does Pokemon Stadium (for 30 seconds on 2 specific stage transformations).

I don't know. I think I might go through with the idea of removing stage bans because without gay counter pick stages, players don't have broken counter picks anymore aside from Marth vs Fox and broken stage counter picks would only happen once, if ever, in a set because of DSR.

I really don't know about adding Kongo Jungle 64 though.

Nah, Forget about Kongo Jungle 64. It just doesn't feel like a neutral. and I've decided for sure; there will be no stage banning (outside of DSR) during counter picking.

BlueSamsara

Smash Cadet
I'd be down w/ kongo, cause then you'd have 7 stages to strike and stuff. I don't think it's that bad a stage. I think that camping matches like those are far and in between. And rather hilarious too.

Top Bottom