• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Tier List (Updated 1-5-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Samus' bombs can be jumped into by Jiggs, G&W, Mewtwo, Kirby, and maybe Pikachu/Pichu, there might also be some more. You just have to know what you are doing. The closer to the stage they are the easier it will be but you usually don't use the bombs when your that close. To effectively destroy her bombs you need to be able to reach her at a distance to which she would actually still be using them and then still be able to get back. Pretty much only characters with really distant recoveries can do that. The bombs can also be destroyed with projectiles though, but thats not as reliable. I've done it a few times, but its too inconsistant to really count for anything.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Almost anybody can make it back when interrupting Samus' bombs, if they have a second and third jump left - nobody's on-stage to edge-guard. The problem is jumping out far enough without using the second jump. You need someone that can reach Samus quickly and easily after a dash jump - this requires a good combination of air speed, running speed and floatiness. I'm thinking Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Mewtwo, Yoshi, and Peach are your best bets. If they jump accurately, there isn't anything Samus can do without losing height, which puts Samus at considerably greater risk to be edge-guarded.

IceCleaners

Smash Cadet
mewtwo?

why is mewtwo so high? isnt she the worst in the game? and also doesnt falco play 2nd?

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Yeah, this ranks characters' recoveries, both in regards to distance and how easy they are to edge-guard.

nitro-blazer said:
Well, if you're good at aim, Projectiles can also interrupt bombs as well.
You're right. Which means even more characters can join the Samus edge-guarding party.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
not all projectiles can hurt samus' recover, really only bombs, turnips, and ice blocks, maybe even another samus using her bombs

mood4food77

Smash Hero
they can but most of the time the samus is out of range for the projectiles, maybe you can get lucky with one of them, but the ones i listed are FAR more reliable

CHUK

Smash Ace
Ganon deserves to be in top tier because of jump vB jump ^B and Newtwo recovery isnt as good at samus' recovery at all. Samus can jsut sit their bomb hopping forever. Either that or she can end with an ^B or maybe her grappler? Her recovery is hard to guess that is why it is so good.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
not all projectiles can hurt samus' recover, really only bombs, turnips, and ice blocks, maybe even another samus using her bombs
I beg to differ this was a match recorded by my friends and I... it shows link using arrows to stop samus(around 2:00)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pwcllyQ95SI

so yeah...I dunno thought I might throw more disagreement around

mood4food77

Smash Hero
but it's not reliable like the bombs, turnips, or ice blocks, and it's slow so it's much easier to see ahead of time

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Ganon deserves to be in top tier because of jump vB jump ^B and Newtwo recovery isnt as good at samus' recovery at all. Samus can jsut sit their bomb hopping forever. Either that or she can end with an ^B or maybe her grappler? Her recovery is hard to guess that is why it is so good.
There is no way that ganon's recovery is top tier. Although it's not as bad as c. falcon's it's still not good.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ganon has amazing recovery, but not top tier worthy, he should be with g&w and ICs who also should be right under peach

oh and monk/honkey/banana, i watched your vid, your friend did horrible with samus' recovery, and you didn't hit the bomb, you hit samus herself

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, I just skimmed through over 10 pages of posts when I should be going to sleep so I know I missed a ton of things. For now on, I will be regularly keeping up with this thread so I don't have to cram for it all at once. :laugh:

The list has been updated and also I inserted a post under the tier list for an explanation of character placement which will come shortly. Discuss.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
In Pall Fox's FireFox's range is shorter, but that doesn't really matter. Link's recovery just should be higher then fox's recovery.

Fox: 2 options,
Illusion (Fast)
Fire Fox: Furder and more angles.

Link:
Bomb jump
Hookshot
Spin Attack

I think Link has more options then Fox does and Fox is caped more easily then Link. Also, Nothing Outprioritizes the Spin Attack, cause it doesn't Kling or anything. You need long range to hit a Spin attacking Link; Bair of Sheik, Upair of Ganon and you can maybe become lucky if you shoot some projectiles, but most of them will break (Super Missle). (But I think Super Missle Brakes to if Fox's Fire Fox has started moving)

Also, Fox needs to charge before he can go in any other direction then vertical, which makes him easier to edgeguard then Link who has some backup plans as well (Hookshot, Bombjump)

I vote Link above Fox in recovery =o

Royal

Smash Apprentice
I think you should rather grade characters on how well they get to the edge. Take edge gaurd out of the equation and making a tier list is a lot easier.

Also, a good player has no problem edge gaurding any character.

(Sorry if this was said before, I skipped 11 pages.. =P)

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
ganon has amazing recovery, but not top tier worthy, he should be with g&w and ICs who also should be right under peach

oh and monk/honkey/banana, i watched your vid, your friend did horrible with samus' recovery, and you didn't hit the bomb, you hit samus herself
first off not me I can't use the bow to any good edge gaurding (I forgot how to speak just there) and second your missing the point weither you hit Samus or the bomb it's still a inconvenience

mood4food77

Smash Hero
if you hit samus' bomb, you completely throw the samus out of rythem, and most of the time don't expect you to hit the bomb, and since they are holding down they will probably fast fall to too low of a state where the air dodge grapple recovery won't even save them

marthsword

Smash Ace
Thanks for moving pikachu below pichu, pichu's is so much better. I still think he should be above peach though.

pirkid

Smash Lord
G&W, use the desk and his up-b is like Fire Fox but no charge.

And Kirby can egde-hog like Shiek, 'cept Sheik has her recovery and Kirby can guard with b-air.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
^^^
But you see, Mr G&W's midair jump has less height, and his UpB may go farther in distance, but is predictable and limited in area of effect due to the fact that it goes only one way. Mr G&W just has poor horizontal.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kirby is only that high due to DI. His recovery isn't that good, IMO, but if he gets hit off the stage chances are he will be hit very high due to being light and then he can simply di his way back to the stage.

_clinton

Smash Master
wow 35 pages

This is the off the updated one that is one your 1st page.
A= agree (hard not to)
D= Disagree (with reason)
blank= no comment for now

--1. Jigglypuff (A)

4. Peach (6) (D) sure going up isn't much but with both her jumps she goes as high as Luigi. I think she is better then M2 (2nd jump is needed more) and Samus(who btw her up is almost = to Peach)

7. Ice Climbers (9) (D) they have to be together alot, even though if your good at mashing B they have the best Up recovery together in the game (+ its easy to move), how about factoring in a single Ice Climber for an extra spot (you don't always have your partner).

--12. Young Link (D) overall 3rd jump is better then link's, even though Hookshot is shorter, YL stats have allowed me to travel much further then Link's as well (recovery not just being sent flying)

--14. Ganon (D) if knocked down 2nd is bull, but 3rd can go as high as some ruins on the bottom of Hyrule Temple. Ones that are closer < way, not > way. But Ganon's recovery is really only sweet if you are up high.

17. Ness (21) (D) 3rd jump goes farther then Fire Fox, 2nd jump is one of the most controlable moves in this game (go to great bay and check out what you can do with it) + you can use his air dodge to. OH and its only shorter then Zelda's by a little bit and a lot easier to use right w/o becoming bait. Act you'd be shocked at some of the jumps he can make over all its range for his recovery is great and BTW if done right you can jump higher then M2 using all of what they both have.

--21. Bowser (D) Bowser jumps higher then DK because of his 3rd jump not by much but it should be said

--26. Roy (D) > B does help with recovery + up B is a lot more moveable then Marth (in fact if done right Marth still goes higher by a little but Roy can go farther by a little)

Sorry if some of my points have already been said I really don't want to go through 35 pages.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
falco's recovery is much shorter than fox's and his startup in his up b is just for show so he is easier to edgeguard

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
uh-huh.....suuuuure it is....
i'll be back, edited this post with more samus recovery youtube vids....

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I think Ganon is fine where he is. Sure he has infinite jumps, and his horizontal recovery is amazing, and his vertical is better than some people think, he is still situational. First of all if he gets knocked very far down he isn't going to do much. His downB is counting on you getting knocked in a combination of up and away. If that happens you will almost always make it back regardless of distance, but if it doesn't then your gonna have trouble. Also something I'm amazed no one has mentioned yet is that his downB is directionally dependant too. If you get knocked off the stage facing away from it then downB will move you farther away from it.

As far as Ice Climbers go Popo can recover plenty on his own. His DI is great and he has about as much horizontal recovery as Bowser/DK. For vertical recovery he has a pretty far airdodge if I remember correctly, so that helps. Also even if Nana is dead he can still gain a little distance with upB for an unexpected sweetspot.

Also I have a question about G&W while I'm here. Does it seem to anyone else that his DI is worse after using upB. It just seems to me that he is a little harder too control after performing it. Maybe thats just me.

One other thing that I think should be addressed that hasn't yet is the ability to protect the edge with projectiles. For example Link can throw a bomb at the ledge to ward off edgeguarders before using upB to recover. Most characters with projectiles can do this and it can be useful if used in the right situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom