• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Noel is awesome, I'd love her in Smash, though I'm not fond of her most recent outfit. :p

i think a final fantasy character would be an interesting addition. does anybody else agree?? i dont know how much of a stretch that would be though. specifically i would want zidane tribal from FF9, but realistically it would be cloud from FF7. I would enjoy either though
I would prefer several other SE characters before a FF one, but I wouldn't mind having Black Mage or Terra. Like shinpichu, I agree the character should be from the NES or SNES. However, I honestly see the two most likely FF candidates as Black Mage and Cloud. Not that either of them have any shot for SSB4, nor are they even the most likely SE characters, but if FF did get a rep, I suspect it'd be one of those two (preferably Black Mage -- though honestly I'd take Cloud over any character after FFVII -except maybe Vivi-, not that any post-FF7 characters would be chosen anyway).

There's no way a supporting character from TWEWY is the third most likely SE character. It'd either be Neku or no one from TWEWY. Also, I'm guessing you're not counting Dragon Quest (though there's not much point separating S and E anymore), because Slime would probably be the most likely SE character.

As for the FE stuff, fair enough, I wasn't separating the sales into East and West. It's clear that Marth has always existed in Smash more for the East than the West, I agree, and as he still has popularity and recent appearances, it's unlikely he'll be replaced.

Good points about Awakening though. Personally I still think Chrom would be the character chosen if any (though like I said, I'd prefer Lucina), but if she really takes off elsewhere too, I suppose it could turn out differently. Though, like you said, the roster has probably already been decided on, so I'm guessing whatever representation Awakening gets, it will be based on the current and past reception of the characters.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well, it's one of the most important Pokémon, it's fairly popular, and has the biggest move pool of any Pokemon character, and probably of any character

:phone:
I'm well aware of Mew's iconicness and whatnot, but with how it's been a rare pokeball in Smash that gives players a certain feel of reward since the beginning, I don't think that should really change now. I know Charizard was once a pokeball Pokemon too, but he was never a particularly special one like Mew was.

And pretty much all the complements you just gave Mew can be said for Mewtwo as well. While not able to learn every TM, HM, etc. like Mew, it is able to learn all the good ones Mew can that it would need competitively, plus having Psystrike and whatnot unlike Mew. While Mew's movepool does obviously leave it with more than plenty potential for it to be playable, I'd rather them focus on revamping Mew's stronger, more evolved doppelganger. I can't see them both being in, cool as it could be.

The reason I lumped them together is because both characters got a lot of popularity because they were in Melee and are often at the top of characters that players want to see in SSB4 and I don't get why. I hope they don't reinforce this by adding them again because that'll just mean that we'll never see a character scrapped again and the amount of actual newcomers will be lower because of it. I'd rather see more unique characters than having the same cast every time with more or less the same moveset.
Fair enough, though if Mewtwo were to return in Sm4sh, that wouldn't necessarily guarantee a spot for Roy as well per se (who I don't think really should return). One of them coming back shouldn't make it impossible for characters to be scrapped again in the future either, just less likely I suppose. It's pretty much always been the general consensus anyway that the only characters that should be scrapped (if any) are the certain gameplay clones (unless they were to be "de-cloned"), which Mewtwo is not one of.

D

Deleted member

Noel is awesome, I'd love her in Smash, though I'm not fond of her most recent outfit. :p

There's no way a supporting character from TWEWY is the third most likely SE character. It'd either be Neku or no one from TWEWY. Also, I'm guessing you're not counting Dragon Quest (though there's not much point separating S and E anymore), because Slime would probably be the most likely SE character.
Well, the whole Noel thing was really a joke, I don't wanna see her in Smash tbh. ArkSys games are great fighters as they stand. I'd prefer to see Arksys crossoevers in something more akin to MvC or SFxTekken or the like, rather than an All-Star cast fighter like SSB.

I'm indifferent to the outfit change, as I said. I am fond of her character though.

As for TWEWY, I chose Sho because he's got a surprisingly strong cult following, and when I think of an iconic TWEWY character, he's the one to stand out the most. Simply because ALWAYS having the MC to represent a game can be kinda boring.

JPW

Smash Ace
if Marth ended up getting cut.
Then i would officially not buy the next Smash game. Even if Sonic is still on it.

Marth has been my main since Melee. And I would be appalled if they dump Marth.

It's ridiculous that you guys are looking for patterns.
There is no trick to it, if it was all about popularity or relevance how the hell did Pit get in. Before Uprising the last Kid Icarus was some Gameboy game right back in the early 90's. And that didn't sell particularly well as i recalled.
Before Melee when was the last G & W game?

There is no pattern. He's choosing the roster based on his choices with who he thinks will be good.
And we have to roll with it.

It's stupid that to even think Marth will be cut. Where's the logic in that?
Just because his games had a hard time selling well doesn't mean he should be cut.

Smash Bros. is not a popularity contest.
So stop treating it like that.

D

Deleted member

if Marth ended up getting cut.
Then i would officially not buy the next Smash game. Even if Sonic is still on it.

Marth has been my main since Melee. And I would be appalled if they dump Marth.

It's ridiculous that you guys are looking for patterns.
There is no trick to it, if it was all about popularity or relevance how the hell did Pit get in. Before Uprising the last Kid Icarus was some Gameboy game right back in the early 90's. And that didn't sell particularly well as i recalled.
Before Melee when was the last G & W game?

There is no pattern. He's choosing the roster based on his choices with who he thinks will be good.
And we have to roll with it.

It's stupid that to even think Marth will be cut. Where's the logic in that?
Just because his games had a hard time selling well doesn't mean he should be cut.

Smash Bros. is not a popularity contest.
So stop treating it like that.

Well, you obviously didn't bother to read the reasons for the suggestion, it wasn't based on patterns or popularity, and it wasn't about Marth being 'cut,' but whatever... that topic is pretty much dead as it stands.

Anyway, I don't see how you would be so appalled if Marth was "replaced" by an identical clone... I mean, if his replacement was essentially as skin change I don't see the big deal. I'm a Marth main myself (have been since Melee), and I certainly wouldn't mind.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Well, you obviously didn't bother to read the reasons for the suggestion, it wasn't based on patterns or popularity, and it wasn't about Marth being 'cut,' but whatever... that topic is pretty much dead as it stands.

Anyway, I don't see how you would be so appalled if Marth was "replaced" by an identical clone... I mean, if his replacement was essentially as skin change I don't see the big deal. I'm a Marth main myself (have been since Melee), and I certainly wouldn't mind.
his reaction is actually the way a lot of smashers would respond to someone like Marth getting cut. and they don't care if there's someone who looks like him. they want him. overall it would be similar to how Mewtwo got cut and people found Lucario to have similarities (i know there's a difference but casual players can't really tell). in the end it's why have this Marth wannabe if we could just keep Marth.

D

Deleted member

Why are we even discussing Lucina replacing Marth, when the only thing they have in common is that she looks like him and has the same sword (though changed in appearance due to time difference)?

She fights like Chrom, which makes sense considering
she's his daughter from the future
. (Spoilered for those that don't know.)

And even then, replacing the face of the series with a one-time character just because they LOOK similar? Emolga replacing Pikachu confirmed!

The whole idea is more asinine than the Impa replacing Sheik dribble Diddy Kong kept trying to cram down our throats months ago.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Why are we even discussing Lucina replacing Marth, when the only thing they have in common is that she looks like him and has the same sword (though changed in appearance due to time difference)?

She fights like Chrom, which makes sense considering
she's his daughter from the future
. (Spoilered for those that don't know.)

And even then, replacing the face of the series with a one-time character just because they LOOK similar? Emolga replacing Pikachu confirmed!

The whole idea is more asinine than the Impa replacing Sheik dribble Diddy Kong kept trying to cram down our throats months ago.
Except that in the Sheik/Impa debate, Sheik is the one time character, and Impa is the recurring one.

But I digress, I don't want to get into this debate all over again.

Something I'd personally like to bring up for discussion instead: Monita

After getting the Wii-U yesterday, Nintendoland was the first game I tried out, and I found it surprisingly fun. And Monita, the sort of guide character introduced in the game suddenly struck me while I was playing the Luigi's Mansion minigame as a possible Smash Rep for the game.

Monita could use different objects from all of the attractions for her moves, like a flashlight for a stun move, or a bow and arrow for a long range attack. She could be the sort of "amalgamation" character that I've seen discussed a lot before, that uses a bunch of different moves from different characters without directly being a clone of any of them. She's got a unique body shape/type as well, meaning that her being a direct clone of anyone is unlikely, basically next to impossible, as she'd be using a lot of one armed robotic attacks. Hell, she could even use the coin dropper, Nintendoland Tower, or the Nintendoland Train as her Final Smash.

I don't think she's very likely at the moment, but it's an idea that I thought was worth bringing up, and to be honest, I'd rather have her as the "overall Nintendo" rep more than I would the Mii's.

D

Deleted member

However, Impa is not Zelda. So it would be unwise to try to bring up that point.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Except that in the Sheik/Impa debate, Sheik is the one time character, and Impa is the recurring one.

After getting the Wii-U yesterday, Nintendoland was the first game I tried out, and I found it surprisingly fun. And Monita, the sort of guide character introduced in the game suddenly struck me while I was playing the Luigi's Mansion minigame as a possible Smash Rep for the game.

Monita could use different objects from all of the attractions for her moves, like a flashlight for a stun move, or a bow and arrow for a long range attack. She could be the sort of "amalgamation" character that I've seen discussed a lot before, that uses a bunch of different moves from different characters without directly being a clone of any of them. She's got a unique body shape/type as well, meaning that her being a direct clone of anyone is unlikely, basically next to impossible, as she'd be using a lot of one armed robotic attacks. Hell, she could even use the coin dropper, Nintendoland Tower, or the Nintendoland Train as her Final Smash.

I don't think she's very likely at the moment, but it's an idea that I thought was worth bringing up, and to be honest, I'd rather have her as the "overall Nintendo" rep more than I would the Mii's.
i see the Mii's as a more likely rep. i've thought that for the longest time though, since the Mii games are the most successful new series Nintendo has and with them making it into the next gen i would find it odd if they weren't represented in Smash in some way shape or form.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@wildvine47
That's definitely an interesting idea, but honestly in all likelihood Monita won't be anything more than a stage element (for Nintendo Land) and a trophy. Like 3B said, if anybody got representation from Nintendo Land, it'd be the Miis. Though I'd love to see the Nintendo Land Train as a FS. :awesome:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Marth getting replaced? Yeah, not happening

So anyway, I'm starting to like the idea of Chrom being in Smash

Roy's still my boy though

:phone:

D

Deleted member

his reaction is actually the way a lot of smashers would respond to someone like Marth getting cut. and they don't care if there's someone who looks like him. they want him. overall it would be similar to how Mewtwo got cut and people found Lucario to have similarities (i know there's a difference but casual players can't really tell). in the end it's why have this Marth wannabe if we could just keep Marth.
Yeah I realized that when I read his comment, I was simply wondering how he would respond.

I don't see it happening honestly, keep in mind that from what we've been discussing the roster seems to have been decided already.

Marth getting replaced? Yeah, not happening

So anyway, I'm starting to like the idea of Chrom being in Smash

Roy's still my boy though
like the idea of Chrom being in Smash
Chrom being in Smash

Why... ;_;

D

Deleted member

-Main character in latest Fire Emblem title.
-Said Fire Emblem title is a best seller, a rare for the series.
-Said main character is popular within his game and series.
-Alternate character being proposed, Lucina, is not main character (Major character, but still not main character).

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I'm well aware of Mew's iconicness and whatnot, but with how it's been a rare pokeball in Smash that gives players a certain feel of reward since the beginning, I don't think that should really change now. I know Charizard was once a pokeball Pokemon too, but he was never a particularly special one like Mew was.

And pretty much all the complements you just gave Mew can be said for Mewtwo as well. While not able to learn every TM, HM, etc. like Mew, it is able to learn all the good ones Mew can that it would need competitively, plus having Psystrike and whatnot unlike Mew. While Mew's movepool does obviously leave it with more than plenty potential for it to be playable, I'd rather them focus on revamping Mew's stronger, more evolved doppelganger. I can't see them both being in, cool as it could be.
Didn't it drop a CD in brawl, wouldn't it make for sense for Melotta to drop it

and they are different competitively
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/mew
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/mewtwo and the can't see them both being in argument is not good, they can both coexist, not to mention having a light, psychic type to help take the burden of mewtwo

good to see that i'm not the only one to see that

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ugh, Marth should not get replaced. He's the first Fire Emblem Lord. That alone is reason enough.

One thing's having Ike taken out for another one(which is iffy), but this is ridiculous.

And true, Meloetta dropping CD's does make more sense. However, we already have a playable Mewtwo that works just as well.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
And true, Meloetta dropping CD's does make more sense. However, we already have a playable Mewtwo that works just as well.
We had two pikachu like characters two samuses (sami?) and two freakin ice climbers (jk)

We can have mewtwo (they aren't anything alike except for being psychic cats)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We had two pikachu like characters two samuses (sami?) and two freakin ice climbers (jk)

We can have mewtwo (they aren't anything alike except for being psychic cats)
You forget that there's a lot of other Pokemon to add. Including a possible 5th Gen, as well as Plusle & Minun, then there's Meowth, who's more of a major Pokemon character among all the media. It does not help that Mew is usually Download Event only. Unlike the others.

It's a cool Pokemon, but there's a lot of others to go for first. I'm not worried about the moveset.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
You forget that there's a lot of other Pokemon to add. Including a possible 5th Gen, as well as Plusle & Minun, then there's Meowth, who's more of a major Pokemon character among all the media. It does not help that Mew is usually Download Event only. Unlike the others.

It's a cool Pokemon, but there's a lot of others to go for first. I'm not worried about the moveset.
ya i agree on 5th gen, but not on p and m and meowth, meowth missed his chance in the first game and although he is a major character in the anime, he is not that important to the games themselves while mew can be consider both, and the only way p and m would be considered is if they do a 3rd gen remake, and even then there are other choices for a candidate, and the fact that mew is download event only actually helps it's chances, because it is what helped pokemon become as popular as it is where as no other candidate (besides mewtwo) has.

D

Deleted member

At this point, the only ones we have to worry about are Mewtwo and either a 5th Gen or a 6th Gen, depending if Genesect's movie provides us our "Munchlax" of the 6th Generation and if said "Munchlax" ends up being really popular. And if said "Munchlax" is viable.

Not Mew, not Plusle and Minun (even if there is a Gen 3 remake), not Meowth, etc.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
At this point, the only ones we have to worry about are Mewtwo and either a 5th Gen or a 6th Gen, depending if Genesect's movie provides us our "Munchlax" of the 6th Generation and if said "Munchlax" ends up being really popular. And if said "Munchlax" is viable.

Not Mew, not Plusle and Minun (even if there is a Gen 3 remake), not Meowth, etc.
you can't really compare mew and meowth to plusle and minun, meowth still has a little bit of a shot due to the anime, and mew is still an iconic pokemon, I don't even think of plusle and minun when I think of 3rd gen, (deoxis) not saying that meowth or mew have a high chance, but they still have a chance and I would keep an eye on them

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah, Plusle & Minun can get in regardless. A 3rd Gen remake isn't required, since they were probably in the data. The only reason Lucario got in instead is cause he's clearly more popular and would sell more copies. Simple business. I don't blame 'em.

Meowth is popular outside of the Anime, though. Very popular. Also, contrary to popular belief, downloads aren't heavily favored at all.

Lobo, you're forgetting one thing; Plusle & Minun were planned to be playable. Or atleast we can say they may have been considered. Mew nor Meowth ever were. At all.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Nah, Plusle & Minun can get in regardless. A 3rd Gen remake isn't required, since they were probably in the data. The only reason Lucario got in instead is cause he's clearly more popular and would sell more copies. Simple business. I don't blame 'em.

Meowth is popular outside of the Anime, though. Very popular. Also, contrary to popular belief, downloads aren't heavily favored at all.

Lobo, you're forgetting one thing; Plusle & Minun were planned to be playable. Or atleast we can say they may have been considered. Mew nor Meowth ever were. At all.
there was a rumor that meowth was planned for smb64, kind of like the p and m rumor that they were planned for brawl, problem is that both are just rumors. and the wasn't planned thing is a pretty bad argument, seeing as how tones of characters weren't planned in the previous game. and the download even is heavily favored (genesect, victini, deoxys, zoroak before b2w2), as they are the ones heavily marketed

and plus 1 for addressing me as lobo I like that

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
there was a rumor that meowth was planned for smb64, kind of like the p and m rumor that they were planned for brawl, problem is that both are just rumors. and the wasn't planned thing is a pretty bad argument, seeing as how tones of characters weren't planned in the previous game. and the download even is heavily favored (genesect, victini, deoxys, zoroak before b2w2), as they are the ones heavily marketed
Correction; Plusle & Minun may be in the data. Meowth never was. There is no rumors with the P & M here. It's "did the data mean that or not?" Entirely different thing. We're saying that Meowth was never planned, it was Mewtwo that was, so it does change a bit. It makes sense that a planned character would get in before a new one. P & M have more weight than Meowth does in Sakurai's opinion for playable, that's all.

Besides that, I would rather have P & M, Mewtwo, and a 5th Gen first before grabbing any other 1st Gen. And Meowth does have more power than Mew does, not much more, but he does attack as a pokeball, so we have atleast one obvious move. Mew... just floats.

and plus 1 for addressing me as lobo I like that
One of my favorite DC characters, too! :)

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Correction; Plusle & Minun may be in the data. Meowth never was. There is no rumors with the P & M here. It's "did the data mean that or not?" Entirely different thing. We're saying that Meowth was never planned, it was Mewtwo that was, so it does change a bit. It makes sense that a planned character would get in before a new one. P & M have more weight than Meowth does in Sakurai's opinion for playable, that's all.

Besides that, I would rather have P & M, Mewtwo, and a 5th Gen first before grabbing any other 1st Gen. And Meowth does have more power than Mew does, not much more, but he does attack as a pokeball, so we have atleast one obvious move. Mew... just floats.

One of my favorite DC characters, too! :)
according to smash wikai he washttp://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Meowth could be wrong though, and i don't see how two pika-clones have more weight then the second main character of the anime, especially when we have those two freakin ice climbers and by saying just any other 1st gen shows me you don't understand the importance of mewhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mew_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

"at least he has one obvious move" I hope your trolling

actually lobo is the spanish word for wolf but the dc character is ----->:cool:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
according to smash wikai he washttp://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Meowth could be wrong though, and i don't see how two pika-clones have more weight then the second main character of the anime, especially when we have those two freakin ice climbers and by saying just any other 1st gen shows me you don't understand the importance of mewhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mew_(Pok%C3%A9mon)
I don't see a source in that SmashWikia article. Anything on a wiki without a source should be taken with several canisters of salt.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He uses Pay Day in both of his Smash appearances. How is that not an obvious move? :facepalm:

And yeah, I know about the Lobo-wolf thing. I am a fan of Digimon after all.

D

Deleted member

It is unconfirmed whether pra_mai is Plusle and Minun or not, so neither side can claim it to be accurate or inaccurate until further proof is given.

D

Deleted member

-Main character in latest Fire Emblem title.
-Said Fire Emblem title is a best seller, a rare for the series.
-Said main character is popular within his game and series.
-Alternate character being proposed, Lucina, is not main character (Major character, but still not main character).
From what I've read, Chrom isn't the MC, it's both Chrom and Lucina. Similar to how Ephriam and Eirika shared the lead role in Sacred Stones.

Also, you should take FE7 into account as well. Although Eliwood technically held a stronger role over Lyn and Hector. It was Lyn who made the cameo in both Brawl and Awakening.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
From what I've read, Chrom isn't the MC, it's both Chrom and Lucina. Similar to how Ephriam and Eirika shared the lead role in Sacred Stones.

Also, you should take FE7 into account as well. Although Eliwood technically held a stronger role over Lyn and Hector. It was Lyn who made the cameo in both Brawl and Awakening.
That's because Lyn's the first Lord that people in the West came in contact with, the one where people learned how to play the game and Eliwood is too similar to Roy, especially to the non-FE fans.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's because Lyn's the first Lord that people in the West came in contact with, the one where people learned how to play the game and Eliwood is too similar to Roy, especially the non-FE fans.
Which is why it's already nice that she has an appearance in Brawl. Many want her playable due to that, and the fact she's female. My only worry is that she seems slightly similar to Marth, but that's all.

I wouldn't mind her, Chrome, Roy, and Marth though. If only 3, Chrome can leave.

D

Deleted member

You've read wrong.
The two main characters are Chrom and the Avatar/My Unit. Lucina is a major character, but still not one of the main characters.

Also, as the others stated, Lyn is the one with the most impact of the three considering that she was the first character you played as in the first Fire Emblem to be released internationally, as well as the one that would teach new players of Fire Emblem (typically the Americans) how to play the game.
Also, Eliwood is too damn similar to Roy (for obvious reasons), who was a Melee vet and was planned for Brawl.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm well aware of their competitive differences, as I've used 'em competitively for years when the occasion called for it, but that's beside the point as far as Smash Bros is concerned.

and the can't see them both being in argument is not good, they can both coexist, not to mention having a light, psychic type to help take the burden of mewtwo
While they could co-exist, with the amount of 1st gens there already have been that are playable, how likely do you think it is exactly? If they wanted to keep Mew out of the Pokeball and make it playable, I think they would've done it long ago. Perhaps during the more clone-ish days of Melee where they could've made Mew as Mewtwo's Pichu or something, so to speak. lol

D

Deleted member

It seems all 3 of you are completely missing the point I was trying to make, that simply tells me perhaps I wasn't being clear.

I'm well aware of how iconic and popular Lyn is within the FE series and FE7, after all, I'm the OP of the Lyn support thread in this board, and that was my opening argument in her support.

I was merely using Lyn as an example to show how the central or lead/main character isn't always the one hogging the spotlight, Lyn who can be regarded as "less important" than Eliwood, withing FE7's story has become a more iconic representation of that game. The same seems to be the case for Lucina, at least from my perspective, whether she has a central role or not is debatable, and I honestly haven't played the game, so I can't judge for myself, but if previous Fire Emblem entries are to serve as an example, I'm sure she shares a lead role, after all, in the cover alone, she shares half the image with Chrom, and is shown in tandem with him. Normally, less important characters don't get that much focus.

Take a look at the box art for Awakening, and compare it to the box art of Path of Radiance.

You'll notice Ike is the central focus of the image, and the VERY FIRST thing your eyes are drawn to. Not so much with Awakening, both the figures in the center share equal aesthetic focus. This is basic Design Composition, a lot more thought is put into artwork than people give it credit for, I would know, I've been studying art and design for a while now. Basically, if the central aesthetic focus is geared towards making you see something, it's because that is the most important thing for you to see, especially from a marketing standpoint.

Now, once again, I haven't played the game myself yet, so my judgement is still shallow, but as it stands now, Lucina is a more popular character than Chrom. Going back to the Lyn example, while Lyn wasn't the Main character in FE7, she still ended up being the most iconic, not Eliwood, and not Hector who rivaled her spot. What was it that won out in the end? Simple, her popularity among the fans. How does this relate to Lucina? Well, it's a very similar situation, while perhaps not THE main character, her role in the game from a marketing standpoint, seems equal to that of Chrom, or at least strong enough to rival it, as was with Lyn's case. In the end, if she's more popular than Chrom, then she can be regarded as the more iconic figure of the game over Chrom, simple as that.

Now, you guys mentioned how Roy served as an impediment to Eliwood's iconography, however, I feel that's moot, because if that was the case, the why was only Lyn a DLC character for Awakening and not all 3 of them? I mean, we got both Ephriam and Eirika no? And even if we DO eventually get Eliwood and Hector, Lyn still came out first, and much earlier than the other two, so my point still stands.

In the end, the point I was trying to make was to refute GY's statement, and to prove that it is in fact Lucina who seems to be taking the spot as the more iconic character in the latest Fire Emblem. I used Lyn as an example to prove how not always the main character takes the most iconic role.

Which is why it's already nice that she has an appearance in Brawl. Many want her playable due to that, and the fact she's female. My only worry is that she seems slightly similar to Marth, but that's all.

I wouldn't mind her, Chrome, Roy, and Marth though. If only 3, Chrome can leave.
You should check out my Lyn support thread and tell me what you think, of my proposed fighting style. I thinks it's very different from Marth and what I and most Lyn supporters envision as her ideal fighting style.

Post in that thread, and tell me what you think, and we'll discuss it over there. I eagerly await your commentary.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=329084

You've read wrong.
The two main characters are Chrom and the Avatar/My Unit. Lucina is a major character, but still not one of the main characters.
My Unit is the "main" character? I know he can fight now, but does he affect and influence the story? It just seems a bit odd. Like I said, this out of my hands. However, my previous points still stand. Unless Lucina is Elincia levels of unimportant I doubt it makes a difference. In the end, she's more popular than Chrom in Japan atm, and if the Roster has already been decided, then perhaps she's already taken his spot in Smash... Or perhaps we got both of them.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
He uses Pay Day in both of his Smash appearances. How is that not an obvious move? :facepalm:

And yeah, I know about the Lobo-wolf thing. I am a fan of Digimon after all.
It sounded like you were saying that mew didn't have an obvious move

I'm well aware of their competitive differences, as I've used 'em competitively for years when the occasion called for it, but that's beside the point as far as Smash Bros is concerned.

While they could co-exist, with the amount of 1st gens there already have been that are playable, how likely do you think it is exactly? If they wanted to keep Mew out of the Pokeball and make it playable, I think they would've done it long ago. Perhaps during the more clone-ish days of Melee where they could've made Mew as Mewtwo's Pichu or something, so to speak. lol
ya mewtwo can learn the same most of the same moves mew can, mew can learn all the moves,

and since when has sakurai cared about gen representation, he just cares about being popular and iconic, which mew is

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
ya mewtwo can learn the same most of the same moves mew can, mew can learn all the moves,

and since when has sakurai cared about gen representation, he just cares about being popular and iconic, which mew is
Can Mew learn Psystrike? Didn't think so.

Then why hasn't Mew already been playable, when there was plenty chance to make it so during both Melee and Brawl? It could've made sense to add Mew in Brawl along with Lucario since they were both in the same movie IIRC, which was what most of Lucario's popularity stemmed from, aside from being the 'face' of gen IV. Of course if Mewtwo would still have to have been cut from Brawl, that would've pissed on his fans even more if that had happened.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Can Mew learn Psystrike? Didn't think so.

Then why hasn't Mew already been playable, when there was plenty chance to make it so during both Melee and Brawl? It could've made sense to add Mew in Brawl along with Lucario since they were both in the same movie IIRC, which was what most of Lucario's popularity stemmed from, aside from being the 'face' of gen IV. Of course if Mewtwo would still have to have been cut from Brawl, that would've pissed on his fans even more if that had happened.
why isn't king k. rool in brawl, or why ganondorf wasn't in the original,

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Way to dodge the point being made. I accept your concession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom