• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
With the Wii U being capable of high definition visuals, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some really detailed models this time around.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
If they have had a game released since Brawl, then they might get a new move or look. But the old characters, that have been for a long time without new games, like the ice climbers, Falcon, Fox, etc, they will just get a some new graphics. But the characters that have games coming out or just released will be different.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The models will probably be re-hauled, as they are every smash game. but the old characters already have a general balance, they already fit in with the roster, and that's a big thing. sure, some tweaks could be made, I'm not going to get into that. I'm not saying it guarantees it, but having already made a character (at least) once undeniably makes it easier to make it again - that's the entirety of my point.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I had a dream last night that Mario's down special was replaced again, this time with the Axe from Bowser's Castle. When he chopped down on foes, they would trip.

Sakurai sure does love to indulge in his own creations...I don't even know what he's saying on Twitter, but nearly every other non-cat picture he tweets is some Uprising disc.

Hawk Flindaeton

Smash Cadet
Hey!

I thought sheik was a pretty good fighter, but her Chain move should be able to move all around her. I know, I know...it sounds kinda cheap, but you would have a full range for her Chain!

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
My take on the roster... been working on this for hours.

Some of you might think, that characters like Goku and Cloud are very unlikely characters. Well actually, they aren't. Square Enix has been working alongside with Nintendo for some time now. Bandai Namco, the developers that is working on this game, has developed several anime based games one of them being Dragon Ball Z: Bodukai Tenkaichi 2.

If you're wondering about the character placements on the roster, allow me to explain.

Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu: They have always been together in Smash Bros clips, the SSBM intro and the first Brawl Trailer. Mario and Kirby also had a scene together in the SSB64 intro. ^-^

Falco, Marth, Sheik (Zelda) and Peach: They were the top tier characters in Melee.

Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Bowser and King Dedede: They are the big Nintendo bad guys, simple as that. xD

Meta Knight, Wario, Pokey and Skull Kid: They are minor villains (and by that i mean they are bad, but has never been the last boss except for Wario. But since he's had a change of heart, he's a minor baddie now.)

Sonic, Snake, Megaman and Rayman: 3rd party gang.

Ice Climbers, Pit, Mr. G&W and R.O.B: The retro characters!

Little Mac, Bomberman, Balloon Fighter and Stanley: Retro newcomers.

Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness and Jigglypuff: The classic four unlockables in SSB64, they also had their own event together in Brawl.

Ninten, Goku, Cloud and Simon: Hero newcomers!

Vegeta, Sephiroth, Waluigi and Black Shadow: Villain newcomers.

Meowth, Black Mage, Lucas and Toon Link: They are the small guys, but still no fear in fighting!

Olimar, Ike, Diddy Kong and Lucario: Brawl veterans.

Heavy, Knuckles Groose and Goroh: The brute sidekicks.

Daisy, Midna and Rosalina: Female newcomers, woooh!

Roy and Pichu: MELEE VETERANS!!! <3

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Who said it was a "serious" roster? I clearly stated it's MY TAKE on the roster.
I'm sorry to have misinterpereted. What you said was very ambiguous, and I think you could have elaborated more, like maybe indicating that you knew certain characters weren't going to make it or something like that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wishlist roster I'm guessing. Cuz if it's a prediction roster I have quite alot of things to say about it. :laugh:

I would suggest organizing it in a bit of a clearer way. There are some points where I can see how you organized it, but most of the placements just seem random. Aesthetically it's very nice though. That's about all I can say without talking about the character choices, lol.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Wishlist roster I'm guessing. Cuz if it's a prediction roster I have quite alot of things to say about it. :laugh:

I would suggest organizing it in a bit of a clearer way. There are some points where I can see how you organized it, but most of the placements just seem random. Aesthetically it's very nice though. That's about all I can say without talking about the character choices, lol.
I should maybe have put out the description for it like i did on DeviantArt, i updated it now. Hopefully the character placements will make more sense now. ;]

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I should maybe have put out the description for it like i did on DeviantArt, i updated it now. Hopefully the character placements will make more sense now. ;]
Time to criticise:

Some of you might think, that characters like Goku and Cloud are very unlikely characters. Well actually, they aren't. Square Enix has been working alongside with Nintendo for some time now. Bandai Namco, the developers that is working on this game, has developed several anime based games one of them being Dragon Ball Z: Bodukai Tenkaichi 2.
Regardless of whether or not Nintenod/Namco has the liscense, Sakurai has stated in the past that a character must have originated in a video game and must have appeared at least once on a Nintendo system, so Goku/Vegeta/Heavy still have no chance. Sorry.

Also, regarding your roster organization, while I do see that you have reasons for putting characters where you did, I still think It would look more professional if you organized them by franchise.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was about to click away, but then you edited your post. ;)

It doesn't matter if there have been Dragon Ball Z games, the series didn't originate as a video game, which makes all its characters invalid for inclusion. You're right that Cloud isn't impossible, but he has little presence on Nintendo systems, and even if SE got a rep (which is now looking unlikely), it would probably be from a series other than FF.

Falco, Marth, Sheik (Zelda) and Peach: They were the top tier characters in Melee.
Characters would never be organized on a roster by tiers. Sakurai barely even acknowledges they exist. Plus, even if he did, he wouldn't pick a game that came out more than a decade ago to base it on.

Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Bowser and King Dedede: They are the big Nintendo bad guys, simple as that. xD
So are Ridley and K. Rool, why aren't they here?

Daisy, Midna and Rosalina: Female newcomers, woooh!
Being female is a terrible basis for inclusion first off, but if you were just going for female characters, why wouldn't you pick the more likely Palutena, Krystal, and Dixie?

I suppose you have your reasons for organizing the roster the (strange and complicated) way you did, but I would still suggest organizing it by series like every other roster has been. Though honestly, not much can be done to salvage this roster anyway.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Regardless of whether or not Nintenod/Namco has the liscense, Sakurai has stated in the past that a character must have originated in a video game and must have appeared at least once on a Nintendo system, so Goku/Vegeta/Heavy still have no chance. Sorry.
There has been several Dragon Ball Z games on Nintendo platforms, but i do know they never originated from video games. So it does indeed harm their chance for appearing

Also, regarding your roster organization, while I do see that you have reasons for putting characters where you did, I still think It would look more professional if you organized them by franchise.
That i understand, i just thought this would be something cool to try out. I might make a different version with franchise organization.

So are Ridley and K. Rool, why aren't they here?
As much i'd love to see them as well, but when i think of "The biggest baddies of Nintendo" Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Bowser and King Dedede comes to my mind . But that's just me.

Being female is a terrible basis for inclusion first off, but if you were just going for female characters, why wouldn't you pick the more likely Palutena, Krystal, and Dixie?
Palutena, i didn't really think of. She could possibly have fit in with the rest of the retro characters gang. I'm not a big fan of Krystal... at all. Dixie i suppose could have been there too, but since most people don't want clones.... yeeaah.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There has been several Dragon Ball Z games on Nintendo platforms, but i do know they never originated from video games. So it does indeed harm their chance for appearing
It doesn't just harm their chances, it excludes them from ever being considered. One of Sakurai's two most basic rules for inclusion are: 1. They must have been on a Nintendo platform (which, granted, they have been), but 2. They must have originated in a video game (which means that Dragon Ball Z, or any other anime, manga, movie, comic, etc character is invalid for inclusion).

Even with the abundance of 3rd parties on your roster, removing Goku and Vegeta would increase its credibility. Though that's just the start.

As much i'd love to see them as well, but when i think of "The biggest baddies of Nintendo" Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Bowser and King Dedede comes to my mind . But that's just me.

Palutena, i didn't really think of. She could possibly have fit in with the rest of the retro characters gang. I'm not a big fan of Krystal... at all. Dixie i suppose could have been there too, but since most people don't want clones.... yeeaah.
Fair enough, it is your roster, but considering the only new Nintendo characters you have on here with actual decent chances are Little Mac, Waluigi, either Goroh or Black Shadow (not both), and maaaaaybe Balloon Fighter (that's a big maybe, considering Sakurai has previously rejected him), it would make sense to possibly include some more characters that actually have a chance along with ones like Stanley, Groose, and Midna who will almost certainly not get in. Not even counting the third parties.

edit: If you can justify Ninten not being a clone, then Dixie should have no problem.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So many things wrong with that roster...but on the bright side, all of the Brawl vets are there...

First, Goku and Vegeta are guaranteed to not happen. Sakurai ruled out "4th Party" characters. Don't get your hopes up...

Secondly, Heavy was never on a Nintendo system, so there he goes...

Next: Sakurai said that 3rd Parties are pretty limited. He doesn't want to add them willy-nilly. You put in nine 3rd Party Newcomers. Now, let's see if we can limit this...

Sonic and Snake I'd say are safe for 3rd Parties. Sakurai seems to like them.

Mega Man has the best odds for a 3rd Party newcomer, so I'm okay with him being there. I'd say get rid of Bomberman, Rayman, Cloud, Sephiroth, Black Mage, and Knuckles. Geno you could keep...he at least has some demand.

Why Ninten? Mother is a dead series with 3 games. Claus, Kumatora and Porky get much more demand, which still isn't much. Porky himself is a longshot, but not too bad.

Legend of Zelda isn't too potent as far as requests, but the requests usually point to Ghirahim. Groose gets no demand at all, and Skull Kid is rarely brought up by non-Zelda fans. Those two are pretty unlikely.

Pichu wasn't even in Brawl's coding, iirc. If we get Pokemon, Mewtwo will likely come back, and more than likely a 5th Gen Pokemon like Zoroark. Not much of a shot. Same reason as to why I find Meowth unlikely.

For your retros, Balloon Fighter was already shot down pre-Melee by Sakurai. Stanley gets really low demand, but eh. I suggest replacing them with retros that can more likely be included with an interesting playstyle, like Takamaru, Mach Rider, or Muddy Mole. Also, while Little Mac is a great pick, he really isn't retro anymore with the new Wii game.

For F-Zero, I personally doubt we'll get two newcomers. Out of the two, which are both fine (just not together), I say Goroh's the better pick.

Midna's ship kinda sailed in Brawl. She lost most of her importance and fan support.

Rosalina and Daisy get no demand in comparison to Toad, Bowser Jr., Waluigi, and Paper Mario. With Mario characters seemingly rare to be included, they stand little chance.

Out of all of the newcomers and Melee vets, only Roy, Mewtwo, Little Mac, Waluigi, Mega Man, and one of Samurai Goroh/Black Shadow have a decent shot.

That, and it really lacks good character picks like K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, Isaac, Krom, Saki, Starfy, Ray, Toad, Bowser Jr., Ghirahim, Shulk, etc.

And the organization's pretty bad. Just do series, man. :D

All in all, it's not good. If this was a wishlist, fine. But if this is your prediction roster, which I believe it is, it's a bad one. If it's not a serious roster, I apologize.

So. Yeah, my thoughts.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

This is my roster. i'm posting it here because i'd like to discuss it with you guys.

My roster totals out at 49 roster spots, with 54 overall after transformations. Five other characters that i would like to include, but decided not to, were Bowser Jr, Lucario, Saki Amamiya, Pac-Man, and Samurai Goroh.

Bowser Jr i would include as a character if Paper Mario is in as his own series. Lucario i would like to keep, but fear he wont be in if Zoroark is included. Saki...eh. i dont particularly care besides the fact that Sakurai likes him. Pac-Man i would use to replace Lloyd, (the only reason i have Lloyd there is because he has been brought up in interviews) and Samurai Goroh i would include if F-Zero had to have another. It would be nice, but because there hasnt been a new F-Zero in so long (almost ten years since GX), i don't see it happening.

Feel free to discuss my roster. I've included characters that i dearly want, and characters that i think have a decent shot otherwise

EDIT: You're right. My lack of Toon Link IS disturbing. this isn't the roster i wanted to post. i'll repost in a minute

EDIT 2: Alright. its fixed

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

This is my roster. i'm posting it here because i'd like to discuss it with you guys.

My roster totals out at 49 roster spots, with 54 overall after transformations. Five other characters that i would like to include, but decided not to, were Bowser Jr, Lucario, Saki Amamiya, Pac-Man, and Samurai Goroh.

Bowser Jr i would include as a character if Paper Mario is in as his own series. Lucario i would like to keep, but fear he wont be in if Zoroark is included. Saki...eh. i dont particularly care besides the fact that Sakurai likes him. Pac-Man i would use to replace Lloyd, (the only reason i have Lloyd there is because he has been brought up in interviews) and Samurai Goroh i would include if F-Zero had to have another. It would be nice, but because there hasnt been a new F-Zero in so long (almost ten years since GX), i don't see it happening.

Feel free to discuss my roster. I've included characters that i dearly want, and characters that i think have a decent shot otherwise

EDIT: You're right. My lack of Toon Link IS disturbing. this isn't the roster i wanted to post. i'll repost in a minute

I find your lack of Toon Link....disturbing.
:)

I don't think Star Fox is due for another rep. It's got too many characters as it is.

I'm not really sure if Ghirahim warrants a spot of his own. I'm also not sure how I feel about Zoroark being subbed in for Lucario. It's a common enough prediction, but personally I'd rather they cut PT.

I'm so happy you predicted(wanted?) Lloyd over Pac-Man as a potential Namco rep.

Also, I think the roster is just a wee bit too big.

EDIT: No more Saki? :(

D

Deleted member

My thoughts on the 53 characters roster:

Great job on this roster. There are only a couple of complaints I have with this one:

- Replacing Lucario with Zoroark. Trust me on this one; if Sakurai gets his way, he will include Lucario in Smash 4. The Pokemon Company is heavily promoting Lucario and Lucario is considerably more popular than Zoroark will ever be. Not to mention he was very highly requested for Brawl. I don't think they'll be dropping Lucario this game and Lucario and Zoroark can easily co-exist.

- Adding Lloyd Irving. He's... not going to happen. Sakurai is going to have an extremely high expectation for third-party newcomers and very few (if any) can hope to meet that. The only possible one from Namco at the moment is Pac-Man. If you're going to have a Namco Bandai rep, Pac-Man is by far the best choice, but since I doubt the news about Namco Bandai working with Sakurai is going to give us a third-party from there, I'd suggest just dropping a Namco rep in general.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Thanks for the input guys! i'm all for some constructive criticism. I do agree with some of your ideas; i'll see what i can do to edit it and maybe i'll repost it at some point

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Here's my prediction rosters:
[collapse=Prediction Roster 1]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Prediction Roster 2]
[/collapse]

Explanation for choices:

[collapse=Rosters 1 & 2]
K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy- No brainer right here
Dr. Mario- He was in Melee and was planned for Brawl; I think he's a pretty likely character to return
Little Mac- Kind of another no brainer, because, he's pretty popular and is pretty important to Nintendo
Saki Amamiya- Sakurai likes him alot, and that's already enough reason for a character to be in
Waluigi- Look, I'll be honest, this kinda was bias on my part, but you have to take in consideration that Waluigi is the only new Mario rep that Sakurai has somewhat shown interest in by making him an Assist Trophy in Brawl
Yes, this is an weak argument, I know
Samurai Goroh- We're long overdue to a new F-Zero rep, and Samurai Goroh is the most likely one[/collapse]
[collapse=Roster 1]
Diddy & Dixie- Sakurai likes to use old ideas, so I don't see this being too farfetch'd off
Mach Rider- Mach Rider was actually Sakurai's favorite newcomer for 'Smash 2', I think he's a pretty likely retro character
Zoroark- If the Pokémon Company wants to do advertising for Gen 5, I'm pretty sure that Zoroark will be the one to do so
[/collapse]
[collapse=Roster 2]
Shulk- He's actually pretty popular in Japan and the West because of Xenoblade Chronicles, and is a new Nintendo character
Isaac- Isaac's pretty popular and was an Assist Trophy in Brawl
(This is a weak argument)
Takamaru- Takamaru is somewhat popular, and has had a revival in Samurai Warriors 3 and Captain Rainbow
Megaman- Easily the most requested Third-Party for the next game, and Sakurai has said that a Capcom character may not be too far off[/collapse]

Also, my wish roster is on the other thread if you want to check it out.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Ugh. This is one thing I HATE about the SSB community, taking little things like Sakurai's original quote and wildly misinterpereting them and treating these misinterperetations as fact. Like the whole "Ridley's too big" and stuff like that.

Notice that for the "new moves" story, they don't include a quote.
Here's the original quote that everyone is going nuts about.

It’s fun making new skills for new characters.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Well you included Ridley, so it has my vote ;)

I think a few items are questionable, such as lloyd, palutena, and ghiriam(shut up about spelling) but even those are still mainly viable choices. I personally think it would be sill for Kid icarus to get a second rep, especially over Fzero getting a second rep, seeing as Falcon was one of the original smash characters, but that's just my opinion.

I also doubt Sakurai is going to cut lucario, because lucario isn't a clone. the only non clone ever dropped was mewtwo and he was almost, almost in.

Overal strong though

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to say I updated my original roster prediction, you can see it here

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14747188#post14747188

please read my long wall of text explaining my choices if you wish to judge, otherwise I will be forced to quote it xD

(the bottom roster is the new one, the old one is there for sentimental sake)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to say I updated my original roster prediction, you can see it here

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14747188#post14747188

please read my long wall of text explaining my choices if you wish to judge, otherwise I will be forced to quote it xD

(the bottom roster is the new one, the old one is there for sentimental sake)
EDIT: nvm, I need to read better.

Star Fox is overrepped as it is, I don't think there will be any new characters added from Star Fox.

I like that you added Mewtwo/Zoroark without cutting anyone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
^ Don't be. Jiggs is definitely returning, mark my words. She's made it this far...:D

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Interesting to see a roster that includes Lyn and Krom. Most people seem to think Roy returning is much more likely.

You've got a lot of obscure characters on your roster. Not sure how likely some of them are.

Toon Link/Phantom Zelda double team? Interesting thought, but I just don't see it happening. I think the tag-team mechanic will stay with the Ice Climbers.

Saki would probably be picked for an S&P rep over Isa.

JPW

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff will always return. Not that i want him too, but he's made too much of an impact in the smash crowd. If they drop him there will be an outrage.

I also think because Brawl has been out for so long we've had our chance to get so used to the characters any cuts would make an outrage.

With Pichu, and Dr. Mario being cut. Nobody really cared about that and it was kind of justified.
Whereas when Mewtwo and Roy got cut almost everyone got upset. I never really liked Mewtwo and i was more of a Marth fan. My brother got upset when Roy was cut though.

We're seeing that same pattern happen whenever someone cuts Lucario from the list. Imagine if Sakurai actually did it. The outrage it would create. So i think Sakurai should be very careful not to make any cuts. Cause whoever he cuts could create massive backlash. Even the most obvious cuts seem like the most deadly.

Also i'm looking at the roster nowadays and i see it as a perfect roster. If anything they should add to it and not make any cuts on it for that extra space.

I'm also think they should do a dlc option and they should have Mewtwo and Roy for first candidates so those who want them can download them. Cause i don't really care if they come back or not lol.

I heard someone talking about Diddy and Dixie being put together like IC. NO. Just NO. I've only jsut started using Diddy. And I much prefer him on his own. I don't like Dixie and i don't think it would work too well. If anything Dixie should be her own character. I see her coming off as an assist though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom