• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SA] Valhalla Smash Tournament Thread. Valhalla resumes October 1st!

zApollo

Smash Ace
Valhalla Smash Tournaments: Next event Valhalla VI October 1st

Valhalla has now returned! Valhalla will run every 3 months leading up to Reloaded 9 next July.

General Information
SA Brawl Power Rankings
SA Melee Power Rankings
Streetgeek LAN parties

Tournament Organisers (TOs)
LAN Organiser: The Wookie
Smash Tournament Organiser: Nova
Brawl Tournament Organiser: Apollo
Melee Tournament Organiser: Grim Tuesday

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Rules

STARTER STAGES:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokémon Stadium 1
Pokemon Stadium 2
Lylat Cruise

COUNTER-PICK:
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Halberd
Castle Siege

GENERAL RULES
• 3 stock.
• 8 minutes.
• Items set to "off" and ratio set to "none".
• If time runs out, the winner is determined by stock, and then by percentage.
• If both stock and percentage are identical, or a game ends with both players being KO'd simultaneously, then a tiebreaker is played. A tiebreakers is a 1 stock, 3 minute match with the same characters and the same stage.
• All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 should be played out for Winners, Loser &, Grand "final" matches. i.e. the finals' matches).
• All people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
• Extending Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape is banned.
• Stalling is banned. (Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling.)
• Controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors if there is a dispute.
• Extending an infinite lock/combo/chain above 300% is considered stalling.
• Any action that prevents the game from continuing results in a forfeiture of the match for the offender.
• Some interactions (for example, interrupting a throw with a wind attack) can cause one character to become frozen until being hit. If this happens, the free character is expected to capitalise on this in a timely manner; a failure to do so is considered stalling.
• Any stage is selectable at any time if BOTH players agree. This means if both players wish to skip the stage striking procedure and play on Final Destination or Hyrule Temple, they may. Don't expect many serious players to go along with this, however.

DOUBLES PLAY
• Team attack is on.
• Sharing stocks is allowed.
• Controller ports are determined in a 1221.
• If the clock expires and the total number of stocks of each team is equal, use the sum of the final percentage of players on each team as the tiebreaker; whichever team has a lower sum wins. A player who has been eliminated has 0 stocks and 0%.
• Causing both characters of a team to become frozen (i.e. by interrupting a throw with a wind attack) is to be treated the same way as freezing the opponent in singles. Leaving only one of the opponents' characters frozen is legal since the teammate can work to undo the freeze.

SET FORMAT
1. Both players choose their characters (as well as their sub-character and costume) for the first game. A double-blind pick may be requested by either player.
2. Players start the stage-striking procedure in order to select the first stage. The optimal procedure for striking stages is 1-2-2-1 assuming "1" is player 1 and "2" is player 2.
3. Each player may ban a stage from the counterpick list for the match.
4. The first game is played using the stage chosen by step 2.
5. The loser of the previous game chooses a stage from the starter or counterpick list. No player may choose a stage they have already won on unless the other player agrees.
6. The winner of the previous game chooses their character.
7. The loser of the previous game chooses their character.
8. Steps 5-7 are repeated as necessary.

OTHER RULES
• On a player's counterpick, that player may choose to redo the port selection process, with that player/team picking their port first.
• In team games, it may be requested that certain characters be assigned a specific team colour in order to prevent any unnecessary confusion. For instance, Sonic, Lucario, or Falco may be requested to be assigned the blue team.
• In the case of a console/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
• After a match has been called, if a player is 3 minutes late without informing a TO beforehand, he/she will receive a warning. At 6 minutes late he/she will forfeit the entire set.. If you require more time (timing clashes with another tournament, etc) let the Tournament Organisers know (for Brawl: Apollo or Nova). Do not expect to always be allocated additional time, however.
You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Previous results
Valhalla I: Raymond
Valhalla II: Hybrid
Valhalla III: Apollo
Valhalla IV: Ghostbone

Super Smash Bros. Melee Rules

STARTER STAGES
Starter Stages:
Fountain of Dreams*
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

COUNTER-PICK STAGES
Pokemon Stadium**
Kongo Jungle
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

* Stage is banned in doubles.
**Stage moves to STARTER in doubles

GENERAL RULES
• 4 stock.
• 8 minutes.
• Items are set to off.
• Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
• All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 should be played out for Winners, Loser &, Grand "final" matches. i.e. the finals' matches).
• Blind Picks: The first characters selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
• No player may choose the stage they last won on unless agreed upon by both players.
• Any stage may be played on so long as both players and the tournament host agree to it, including banned stages.
• Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, a 1 stock, 4 minute match will be played.
• Master Hand is banned.

DOUBLES PLAY
• Team attack is on.
• Sharing stocks is allowed.
• If the clock expires and the total number of stocks of each team is equal, use the sum of the final percentage of players on each team as the tiebreaker; whichever team has a lower sum wins. A player who has been eliminated has 0 stocks and 0%.

SET FORMAT
1. Blind picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1221 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage from being picked for the rest of the set.
5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a Starter or Counter-Pick Stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of the preceding match picks a character.
7. The losing player of the preceding match picks a character.
8. The next match is played.
• Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

OTHER RULES
• Controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors if there is a dispute.
• In the case of a console/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
• Using Jigglypuff's "Sing" on an opponent while they are already sleeping more than 3 times in a row (this does not apply to doubles); using Jigglypuff's rising pound to make it impossible/next to impossible (soley defined by the TO at the event) for the other player to hit you; and, extending a "infinite combo/lock/chain grab" above 300% are all considered stalling and are banned.
• After a match has been called, if a player is 3 minutes late without informing a TO beforehand, he/she will receive a warning. At 6 minutes late he/she will forfeit the entire set.. If you require more time (timing clashes with another tournament, etc) let the Tournament Organisers know (for Melee: GrimFandango or Nova). Do not expect to always be allocated additional time, however.
You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Previous results
Valhalla I: Nova
Valhalla II: N/A
Valhalla III: Hybrid
Valhalla IV: N/A
Valhalla V: Apollo

Eagle

Smash Lord
I've been playing this game for awhile and I don't know what stage Hanenbow is..

Also, I didn't realise people cared about controller ports. What is the significance? Colour? Does it affect where you spawn? I should probably know this..

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I've been playing this game for awhile and I don't know what stage Hanenbow is..

Also, I didn't realise people cared about controller ports. What is the significance? Colour? Does it affect where you spawn? I should probably know this..
I don't really know much with other characters, but with Snake, the grenades won't hurt whoever is in a grab if they have port 4.

Hanenbow is the stage with the trees that have leaves that elevate when hit and stupid music reactions and water.
I don't know what game it comes off.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Port 4 gives you better priority in grabs or something. like if the snake player is port 4 and is holding a grenade while grabbing or being grabbed, the person with the lower port will take the damage. (after the grenade detonates) so yeah, thats why snake players always want the better port.

well thats one thing i know about port 4 anyway.

Hanebow is annoying

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
I don't really know much with other characters, but with Snake, the grenades won't hurt whoever is in a grab if they have port 4.
wrong

Port 4 gives you better priority in grabs or something. like if the snake player is port 4 and is holding a grenade while grabbing or being grabbed, the person with the lower port will take the damage. (after the grenade detonates) so yeah, thats why snake players always want the better port.
also wrong

The player with the port closest to 4 gets super armour during grabs.. you still take damage, but you don't have knockback. It works with every character.

Hanenbow is stupid.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Who needs nades when you have F-Air ... hey Nova ;)

Hmm maybe ill go to SA for a tournament sometime.

@zeus
pretty sure even if the sticky doesnt transfer it works

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
That's why if you want to be mean in teams, you go snake and mk.. choose port 3 and 4. Snake stickys mk with C4 then mk grabs an opponent (transfers the sticky) and uthrows, then when mk is above the stage snake detonates the C4, mk falls to the ground from the super armour while your oppoent gets KO'd offstage from the knockback ;)

my master has taught me well
J-birds Scrub Fox

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice
It should be pointed out that the prize money for this competition will be
$50 for first
$25 for second.

Prizes will be given for the 2v2 (first only atm), and minor prizes may be available for Melee if it is run.

Valhalla has been pretty impressed with the consistency of turnout - even the october event was satisfactory given the conflicts involved - , and it gets some interest even from the PC regular crowd. IF the same person wins repeatedly we may have to institute some sort of handicap or temporary ban on receiving the first place prize. Note: we already have this system in place for door prizes and sc2.

SethT

Smash Ace
Has there been a second prize previously? Namely the Oct tourney?? ;o came second and didn't pick up any prize... probs too late anyway.

Looking forward to September Val :3

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Good luck with that next year Seth, given we're past September. <3

The 2nd prize is a new addition.
If the scene continues to grow larger I'm willing to add incentives in myself.

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice
2nd prize is dependent on my finances, since i personally sponsor the Smash Tournament. It is usually dependent on the number of competitors.

SethT

Smash Ace
I'll be there. DoMo is showing up (that fox who rocked up to last SG) and probs another one of my mates.

You could probably seed DoMo the same as you would seed Blue Bomber. Not sure about my mate, he wants to learn shiek and zelda though ;o

Eagle

Smash Lord
I should be going, and I might get my little brother(s) to come along. You might remember them, Nova. jWolf and... Roly poly. :p

SethT

Smash Ace
Now that is the question. Occasionally I rock up with "someone" who looks quite similar to me and Grim has yet to figure out if he is indeed my brother or just a "bro from anotha' mother" :D

Tis a fun game to play :3 he has to persuade my bro to tell him >D

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
**** it Seth! Who is he!?

Anywayz, I'll be coming.

And I'm going to start hosting side tourneys at Valhalla and SG... Partly for a bit of variety, partly to test things for some friends in the Tactical Discussion boards.

Some ideas I have so far are:
• Two Stocks (Brawl)
• 1.1 Damage Ratio (Brawl)
• Item Standard Play (Brawl)
• Custom Stages
• Duelst Pro
• Low Tier Brawl
• Brawl Free-for-All
• Melee Singles
• Melee Free-for-All
• Melee Low Tier
• Melee Teams
• Smash 64 Singles
• Smash 64 Teams
• Smash 64 Free-for-All
• etc..

If you want to vote for a particular option/suggest a different option, just say so.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
**** it Seth! Who is he!?

Anywayz, I'll be coming.

And I'm going to start hosting side tourneys at Valhalla and SG... Partly for a bit of variety, partly to test things for some friends in the Tactical Discussion boards.

Some ideas I have so far are:
• Two Stocks (Brawl)
• 1.1 Damage Ratio (Brawl)
• Item Standard Play (Brawl)
• Custom Stages
• Duelst Pro
• Low Tier Brawl
• Brawl Free-for-All
• Melee Singles
• Melee Free-for-All
• Melee Low Tier
• Melee Teams
• Smash 64 Singles
• Smash 64 Teams
• Smash 64 Free-for-All
• etc..

If you want to vote for a particular option/suggest a different option, just say so.
Duelist Pro would be awesome :D. Low tiers are a lot of fun, don't know about 1.1 damage ratio though :/, (I think it makes Meta Knight more broken....). Should try 1 stock matches with food on high (stalling doesn't need to be banned for it :D). Melee and 64 would be fun as well.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Duelist Pro would be awesome :D. Low tiers are a lot of fun, don't know about 1.1 damage ratio though :/, (I think it makes Meta Knight more broken....). Should try 1 stock matches with food on high (stalling doesn't need to be banned for it :D). Melee and 64 would be fun as well.
I love Duelist Pro :p

All the information about 1.1 Damage Ratio can be found in these two threads:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288406
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=289294

I warn you, I am amazing at 64 :p
I came 4th in the last tournament we did (at SG Retro LAN) with my worst character AND having not played the game in years.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I love Duelist Pro :p

All the information about 1.1 Damage Ratio can be found in these two threads:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288406
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=289294

I warn you, I am amazing at 64 :p
I came 4th in the last tournament we did (at SG Retro LAN) with my worst character AND having not played the game in years.
Yea I probably suck at 64, but 0-death combos with falcon are always fun :D. (even if I can't do them very consistently...) I did read through those threads about 1.1, don't really see the appeal of it though.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Nova, with the legal stage list:
Green Greens (Melee) and Luigi's Mansion should be counter-picks. Unless you can think of a reason for banning them.

Also Port Town Aero Dive and Yoshi's Island (Melee) arguably, but that would need testing.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Pirate Ship should be legal along with the stages Grim mentioned as well. (I really don't see what's wrong with that stage...)

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Rudder stalling breaks the stage.
Most characters can hit the person with projectiles, or go down there and push them into the ship. Plus the stage forces you to move from that position when the tornado comes along and when the ship hits the rock. The person there takes damage up to 150 as well I believe, so when they are forced up they're within kill percentages. And even so it would fall under the stalling criteria I would think?(making the game unplayable) But if it's truly a problem then Halberd and Final Destination should also be banned. Halberd for allowing certain characters (Ike and Meta Knight I've seen) to be under the ship, and Final Destination for sonics homing attack stalling.

Also the ship rocks slightly from side to side, so it's quite easy to mess up and die or swim back up. (leaving yourself open)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Good enough for me, un-ban Pirate Ship.

Note: I think it was more about the complications of Rudder Stalling than the actual brokeness. i.e. people complaining, an extra rule possibly being have to put in, etc... Easier to just ban it.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Which then reconstructs in like a minute, making the destruction of walls less effective.

I am definitely against Green Greens, though I am not sure about PTAD.

Top Bottom