• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SA] Valhalla Smash Tournament Thread. Valhalla resumes October 1st!

SethT

Smash Ace
Grim, I'll have my P's soon enough (like, by the end of the year) and it'd be no hassle for me to pick you up since your on the way to every venue anyway.

I'm cool with it tbh. Might consider throwing some of it too the melee comp instead of boosting brawl even further?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
@SwordSaint (I originally wrote @-s-s- (without the dashes) and it censored it xD)
This is because every other state is scrubby and lazy.

@Apollo
If it's for Melee as well, that's cool :p
*Something I CAN win money at xD*

@Aces
That'd be awesome man. Thanks.

zApollo

Smash Ace
'm cool with it tbh. Might consider throwing some of it too the melee comp instead of boosting brawl even further?
Yeah that is the main intention since the melee scene seems to be growing back.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Oh my God. We should get rid of rainbow ride and norfair. And probably Luigi's mansion although noone ever seems to pick it.

Why do we have to keep ******** stages legal? :(

If someone can beat me on rainbow ride with Metaknight I will not think they are better than me. I will think they're a little ***** for choosing it. (Looking at you, Ant. ;))

$15 for a prize pool increase to $150 is great. Grim, ssh. :)

Problem is though, it's probably always going to be Apollo and Nova. Also, isn't SG like $20 entry? And you get **** all when you win. I didn't get anything either times.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Look I didn't want to have to say this, but saying other states are scrubby when you guys are potentially one of the 2 weakest states in the country just seems out of place.

Make up better reasons than 'you do something different, must be scrubby'.

I disagree with your ruleset for sure, but I'm not saying it's wrong, or bad. How did this even turn in to another stage debate? lol.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Look I didn't want to have to say this, but saying other states are scrubby when you guys are potentially one of the 2 weakest states in the country just seems out of place.

Make up better reasons than 'you do something different, must be scrubby'.

I disagree with your ruleset for sure, but I'm not saying it's wrong, or bad. How did this even turn in to another stage debate? lol.
What does state weakness have to do with acceptance of stages?

It isn't about doing something different, these stages have been proven time and time again to be fair and competitive. Why should we be making up reasons? I'd rather know why you guys DON'T have the stages.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Guys, Luigi's Mansion is NOT even legal in val or SG.

Problem is though, it's probably always going to be Apollo and Nova.
Who knows, the next val after december is a while, and heaps can change before then.

swordsaint

Smash Master
What does state weakness have to do with acceptance of stages?

It isn't about doing something different, these stages have been proven time and time again to be fair and competitive. Why should we be making up reasons? I'd rather know why you guys DON'T have the stages.
Because your reasoning (probably as a joke) of other states not accepting those stages was because they were scrubs.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Not joking. They ARE scrubs, what other reasons are there not to include the stages other than scrubbiness and laziness?
When someone from your state places top 3 or 4 OoS lemme know. ;)

I'm assuming that to get away from the stage discussion trashtalking is legalised for now.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Look, when someone buys me a plane ticket I will. ;)

But seriously, don't expect me to place top 4 if you buy me a plane ticket.

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice
Oh my God. We should get rid of rainbow ride and norfair. And probably Luigi's mansion although noone ever seems to pick it.

Why do we have to keep ******** stages legal? :(

If someone can beat me on rainbow ride with Metaknight I will not think they are better than me. I will think they're a little ***** for choosing it. (Looking at you, Ant. ;))

$15 for a prize pool increase to $150 is great. Grim, ssh. :)

Problem is though, it's probably always going to be Apollo and Nova. Also, isn't SG like $20 entry? And you get **** all when you win. I didn't get anything either times.
Like I said, the cost increase is a consideration, not final at this moment. I dont have room in the budget to increase prize money from existing val funds. Theres 4 weeks til the next event, and im happy to discuss it for a few weeks.

do we need a handicap system? or disqualify previous winners from the next event so that others can win? Im open to discussion/suggestions on the issues at hand.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
lol...I'm sorry for bringing up those stages in my post....

But really, the BBR finds those stages fair for competition, so why can't you? And if they really are broken then prove it.

Oh and Eagle, YOUR characters might have a hard time against MK on Rainbow Ride, if you played G&W, Pit, ZSS, Snake, Wario and many others you wouldn't be any worse of than on stages such as BF and SV. (in fact you would probably do better for some of them)

Edit: oh sorry we ended the stage discussion....you can ignore this then -_-

Eagle

Smash Lord
Okay okay, I should have thought about other characters that can fight on Rainbow Cruise.

But I don't care how well some fatty can maneuver from a floating battle ship onto a bunch of dissapearing platforms. Get back down to the stage and fight like a man!

Wookie, thank you for even considering the prize pool increase anyways even if it isn't final. :) About the handicap thing, I'm not sure what my view is on that. If I were the best in Adelaide I would probably say screw the little guy but I don't know. I suppose it is 'more fun' which is what Valhalla aims for though.

zApollo

Smash Ace
do we need a handicap system? or disqualify previous winners from the next event so that others can win? Im open to discussion/suggestions on the issues at hand.
A handicap system seems fine, although a disqualification from the event is a bit much.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I would disagree with a handicap system actually...it wouldn't feel like a proper win if my opponent was at an unfair disadvantage....idk, it wouldn't feel like the victory was earned.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Hmm, I would also very much disagree with a handicap similar to the one ghost is speaking of.

I also do not think disqualification is a good idea because we want more people competing.

Eagle

Smash Lord
If something like that did happen, then it would probably be the top 4 getting the prizes. Like, Apollo and Nova get the prizes, having to "sit-out" next time and letting Aces and Grim get them, then next time it repeats.

So not sure what to do.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Scott I placed 3rd in Victoria earlier this year & beat earl in pools 2-0 at that event.
PMS moment from me.
So stfu with that. <3
However I agree with you about the stages.
I cbf with stages like RC which is why I utterly always ban it, even against people I know won't pick it (Eagle).

Also Eagle if you picked up Diddy/Falco you could probably beat both of us.
You use DK as well as Don and/or Silfa (interstate/overseas players) so I have no doubt.

I completely "ugh" at the idea of handicaps.
Maybe limit the amount the person can win if they win numerous times in a row if you're intent on doing something, but yer.
I say no to auto-dq or ANY form of handicap.

Edit: In other words, the results should never, ever ever ever be altered, but if you guys want it (I don't), then just limit the prizes for that person for 1 event.

SethT

Smash Ace
I disagree completely!!! I'd hate to win a prize knowing that I didn't really win it. I don't want the satisfaction of beating you guys hindered by this whatsoever >D

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice
By handicap I simply meant that you cant get the prize twice in a row. the results arent changed the winner still wins, but doesnt recieve the prize. I dont want it to get to the point where the same people are winning all the time and putting people off coming because of it.

SethT

Smash Ace
Yeah, thats true. If Valhalla does become quaterly then it gives players plenty of time to improve beforehand. It doesn't sound like that bad of an idea, just that, I hate to of spent 3 hard months improving my skills and win, but not get anything for it because you also happened to win last time as well.

If it continues to be monthly, then I'm all for this. If it goes quaterly, then probably not :3

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, thats true. If Valhalla does become quaterly then it gives players plenty of time to improve beforehand. It doesn't sound like that bad of an idea, just that, I hate to of spent 3 hard months improving my skills and win, but not get anything for it because you also happened to win last time as well.

If it continues to be monthly, then I'm all for this. If it goes quaterly, then probably not :3
If it goes quarterly then i wouldnt be wanting to handicap people.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Blah blah blah, the stagelist has been updated.
To be more consistent with the rest of the country, and since we currently have two monthlies anyway.

Examples from other states monthlies:

VICTORIA
Starter
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island
* Smashville
* Lylat Cruise
* Pokémon Stadium 1

Counterpick
* Final Destination
* Castle Siege
* Delfino Plaza
* Halberd
* Frigate Orpheon
* Brinstar
* Pictochat

NEW SOUTH WALES

Starter
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Smashville

Counterpick
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Pictochat
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 1

QUEENSLAND
Starter
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise

Counter
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pictochat
Brinstar

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Starters
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise

Counter-picks
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pictochat
Brinstar

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
STARTER STAGES:
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokémon Stadium (Melee)
Lylat Cruise

COUNTER-PICK STAGES:
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar (Melee)
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
PictoChat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Jungle Japes (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
Norfair
Distant Planet (Streetgeek)

Listed in red are the stages no other state even has as CP's (or have, but have since rejected for numerous reasons), which we currently do (in addition to Distant Planet at SG).

People are encouraged to whine about me changing this, but consider yourself ignored unless you suddenly make even one state pick up one the CP's we use listed in red.
I want a stage list I can say I'm used to in other states, all of which currently have more competitive scenes than us.
I've been a supporter of a universal stage system for quite a while, and given we have 2 monthlies at present, one of the tournaments can afford to be consistent with the other states.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not even arguing why the stages are being banned, they simply are based on what could lead to a universal stage system in Australia.
Nothing else.
So "This stage shouldn't be banned because" are effectively a useless argument based on this change.

In other words, any arguments should be along the lines of: "Every other state which are all better than South Australia are doing it wrong......because....[blah blah]".
You'll then explain why you think it's a horrible idea to have a more universally used stage list at only one of our tournaments, while using a more uh, lenient stage list at the other.

Have fun.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I hate me too.
I'm full of hate.
H8.

Anyway, our "system" isn't being compromised, as we used it very similarly for almost 2 years, in addition to the DDD rule which has been universally dropped everywhere.
That, and, StreetGeek are definitely not affected by this more conservative list, which as I stated is more in line with other Australian tournaments.
SG is free to add whatever levels they want to it - I didn't have a say in that list regardless, lol.

Streetgeek happens monthly and still uses the CP's that have been removed here, so this isn't a big deal.

The national stage list looks fine to me; the only two stages I can remember being on it that aren't on the current list are RC and PS2, neither of which I have any major issues with.
I still want to keep this tourney consistent with other states.

swordsaint

Smash Master

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice
Keeping you guys up to date:

At this stage w expect Valhalla to move to a Jan-april - july- oct- december setup for 2011. One or more of those events will be Reloaded. Plans are already afoot to increase prize money across the board for January - from existing ticket sales. 2011 will likely see the implementation of some sort of ranking system across our regular console tournaments including smash. It is unlikely we will use the current state ranking system.

The January event will run with $100 prize money, split however Apollo desires. The extra funds come from me, not from Valhalla and brings Smash into line with prize money received by Streetfighter. Quite possibly looking at a FIFA themed console portion for the event if Australia get the world cup.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Adding to what Wookie said, I have no issue donating an extra GameCube control as a prize that Play-Asia sent to me as 3rd prize if it follows the usual: 1st, 2nd prize ratio.
Still boxed, new, first party, etc.
If I come 3rd, I'll give it to 4th.

Once Apollo let's me know what the pot distribution is I'll update the main post.

SethT

Smash Ace
I'm in support of the stage changes. Not to be conformist or anything but I'm sick of getting instant killed by those fking fish on Jungle Japes.

Thats just the top of the list of complaints.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I'm in support of the stage changes. Not to be conformist or anything but I'm sick of getting instant killed by those fking fish on Jungle Japes.

Thats just the top of the list of complaints.
It's on a timer, completely non-random, deal with it -_-

swordsaint said:
If I ever play you, I'll show you good reasons why they're banned lol.
Which stages are you referring to? And yea I would be up for that, though I highly doubt you can convince me that there's any good reason for them to be banned.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
All I can say is have fun with falco or any air campy character on Japes, because you'll have a rough time. Turst me on that. Part of a reason to why its banned and will stay banned.

Norfair has the same problem as well, and lol RC, I dont even understand how its even considered being allowed. Pretty janky stage to me, and there's really no need to give mk instant win stages.

Pokemon stadium 2 should be counter though imo, I dont really see anything wrong with it except for maybe the wind transformation.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
All I can say is have fun with falco or any air campy character on Japes, because you'll have a rough time. Turst me on that. Part of a reason to why its banned and will stay banned.

Norfair has the same problem as well, and lol RC, I dont even understand how its even considered being allowed. Pretty janky stage to me, and there's really no need to give mk instant win stages.

Pokemon stadium 2 should be counter though imo, I dont really see anything wrong with it except for maybe the wind transformation.
Brawl is a campy game, deal with it, just because certain characters can camp well on it doesn't mean it should be banned.

Same with Norfair.

RC is completely non-random, and doesn't take that much effort to learn the timing of the stage.
And it's definitely not an instant-win for MK, many characters have RC as their counter-pick against him!

PS2 is legit, most balanced stage in the game.

Top Bottom