• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SA] Valhalla Smash Tournament Thread. Valhalla resumes October 1st!

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice
On behalf of the Valhalla committee, we'd like to thank you guys for coming out in force. We're very pleased with the way you guys have developed the competition at the event. As a result, and assuming numbers remain higher than 10 per event, Ill increase prize money for Smash from the current $50/$25 to $100 with Apollo determining how it is split.

Next event is december 11, we hope to see you guys there.

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice
According to Legions notes:

Super Smash Brothers Brawl 2v2 (14 players)

1st SA Johns (Apollo, Gaganova)
2nd B-Air (Aces,Eagle)
3rd grimbrid (Grim, Hybrid)
4th nyeh (Ghostbone, Luneth)
equal 5th Teh N00bs (an00bis, Aritani)
equal 5th WTF I SHOT U, HAx0R GTFO (Donut, Tw33k)
7th gg (Chinny, MattL)

Super Smash Brothers Brawl 1v1 (11 players)

1st Apollo
2nd Gaganova
3rd Eagle
4th Ghostbone
Equal 5th GrimTuesday, Aces
Equal 7th Hybrid, Domo
Exernus, Luneth, An00bis

SethT

Smash Ace
ugh first off I apologize to you Ghost for raging during my brawl singles. ME NO LIKEY GNW. That being said, right as the third match started I realised I should of cp'd Olimar :3

Ghost: please stick with your falco/olimar because I can beat them :3 Theres just something about GnW that stops me winning, its worse then the MK dittos. Good matches overall though, although, me no likey some of your strats :3

Melee was awesome fun :D someone whos about even level as me ^__^ yeyy

PS: Your dads awesome

Apollo:
After I lost brawl singles I buggered off to my comp to expel my rage on Dota :D sorry for not seeing you off, it cut me just as deeply T__T yus my lifeline has been returned to me <3

Yeah I picked that up in doubles :3 cannot.... run.... from.... u-air.... >D heaps of fun!
Didn't get to vs you in singles D; and I've yet to play you in melee :3 good too see you as always and good luck for the rest of your exams!

Thanks for running the tourny!

Nova: Nice bloodloss tan man :D! its coming along nicely! nah, fully srs it sucked to see you like that D: hopefully some form of miracle will hail upon thee and you'll be cured.

The 2v2's were nice and fun, next time we'll dominate you, just you wait! :3

Ghost knocked me into the losers with GnW D; me no likey. I cried inside when I saw your name next in the line in the losers brackets, I was keen for my revenge though. All hopes of that were dashed when I decided to mosey on into your fully charged f-smash. Rocket to face hurts no doubt.

Fun games though :3 and thanks for running the tourny!

Eagle: Thanks for letting me be your 2v2 partner :3 Loads of fun and we finished pree well! Loved the times when you scored a nice juicy six kills while I sat there lumbering in my tornado of fail :D Next time we'll take Apollo/Nova down :D

Hands down, best team name at the tournament.

Didn't get a chance to vs you in brawl singles, don't think I did in melee either but nevertheless that shall wait for another time! Good luck with the rest of your exams :3 would be a pleasure to 2v2 with you once again, thats for sure!

GRIM: Ah fun times like always :3 w/e Aaron is calling himself (exie? exurnus?) he wants to rock up to SG for melee as well.

Lol'd at our first melee match. ***** me first set, then... well... I don't know.... I took a nice dosage of skill steroids without you looking :D ...then you ***** me again. Didn't get a chance to vs you in brawl at all D:
thanks for bringing my phone ^____^ tis much appreciated. TEACH ME PEACH kaithxbai :D

Hybrid: Good to see you as always! your melee falco/Falcon dominates hardcore! Didn't get a chance to vs you in brawl singles or doubles....

George... love that name :3

Lastly, thanks to wookie and the valhalla team for including a venue/prizes for the event!

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Ghost: Your dads awesome
This is so true.

GRIM: Ah fun times like always :3 w/e Aaron is calling himself (exie? exurnus?) he wants to rock up to SG for melee as well.

Lol'd at our first melee match. ***** me first set, then... well... I don't know.... I took a nice dosage of skill steroids without you looking :D ...then you ***** me again. Didn't get a chance to vs you in brawl at all D:
thanks for bringing my phone ^____^ tis much appreciated. TEACH ME PEACH kaithxbai :D
Glad to hear that Aaron is coming to SG! Always looking to expand the Melee scene.

Next tourney match we'll do Peach dittos, m'kay?

No problem for the phone, and I'll teach you Peach next SG (preferably at the same time I am dominating you with her).

Ghostbone

Smash Master
ugh first off I apologize to you Ghost for raging during my brawl singles. ME NO LIKEY GNW. That being said, right as the third match started I realised I should of cp'd Olimar :3

Ghost: please stick with your falco/olimar because I can beat them :3 Theres just something about GnW that stops me winning, its worse then the MK dittos. Good matches overall though, although, me no likey some of your strats :3

Melee was awesome fun :D someone whos about even level as me ^__^ yeyy

PS: Your dads awesome
G&W is awesome :D, although you probably shouldn't counterpick Brinstar against him :p It's his best stage against MK. But against him, just SDI his Bair, tech his down throw, and Up-B OoS. (and avoid his wind hitboxes during specials)

And lol everyone thinks my dad is awesome :D

Eagle

Smash Lord
Hmm, the 2v2 winners I thought the mouse pads were second place prize. :S Point is I mean we came second.

Also, Nova, in case you are uninformed.. Because you left I was asked to step in by Apollo.

Anyways, about Valhalla..

Aces: Thanks for doublin' with me. Sorry about our matches with Nova/Apollo, a couple of times it ended in a one v one with me against either of 'em and I couldn't win. :( Even when I had a clear advantage.

Nova: You looked really sick, I hope you're okay. :) And ha, I don't think I should be the one that needs to be consistent! I was very surprised to beat you in the winners semi's.

Apollo: You're too good. :) Thinking about picking up Falco just so I can have a chance at beating you.

Ghost: We didn't play much but the friendlies were good.

Grim: Did not get to teach me melee DK. :(

That's all.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Yeah to clarify, because Nova left early (knowing he'd miss out on the prize and by the sounds of it his life was on the line =P) I gave second prize to Eagle who came third, and prizes to those who came second in doubles.

Yes you guys need to get much better, plenty of time though!

Apollo: You're too good. :) Thinking about picking up Falco just so I can have a chance at beating you.
Noooo you should stay with DK, he suits you so well!

SethT

Smash Ace
ah I was wondering about that, was surprised to find I actually won something :3

Sa'll good Eagle, I shouldn't of died to put you in the 1v1 situation :D
If we team again, how about we go double falco :3?

But yeah, I think ill follow suit and pick up falco as a secondary me thinks.... after I learn diddy of course :D

swordsaint

Smash Master
Sheik v Falco is like....51-49, only very slightly Sheiks favor.
Seeing as I've seen you post a lot of incorrect matchup things I'm going to assume its because you're new. Sheik at best is 50/50 vs Falco, at it's worst you can look at something like 60/40 Falco. I'm not even going to ask where you got your ratio from, or how you got a weird number like 51/49 but I can most certainly assure you it is wrong.

However I'm curious to hear why you think Sheik has the upperhand on Falco.

swordsaint

Smash Master
He was just showing that it was only very slightly in Sheik's favour, to the point of being negligible.

*Knows nothing about the MU, just explaining*
Except it's not in Sheik's favour at all. I am asking why he thinks that though, but there is nothing wrong with telling him why he's mistaken if he's gonna have the wrong impression over something.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I realise that, I was just pointing out that the "weird" ratio (as you called it) was supposed to be a joke.
You were very subtle. Perhaps too subtle. I guess that balances out with Nova though.
Honestly though I didn't think 51/49 was a joke. Ever been to the Pikachu boards?

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Huh.
How does that in anyway balance with me.

Anyway Falco is 50/50 imo with Shelda, 40/60 with Sheik as she's a fail who can't kill and he's not Fox.
I only like Sheik V Falco and Diddy out of the high tiers (and DDD if you wanna count him). The rest I'm too lazy and will just pick Snake for.

Edit: Unless it's FD against MK.
I like Sheik in that.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Huh.
How does that in anyway balance with me.

Anyway Falco is 50/50 imo with Shelda, 40/60 with Sheik as she's a fail who can't kill and he's not Fox.
I only like Sheik V Falco and Diddy out of the high tiers (and DDD if you wanna count him). The rest I'm too lazy and will just pick Snake for.

Edit: Unless it's FD against MK.
I like Sheik in that.
Try to remember in almost any set you've used Sheik/Zelda against me, most matches were close up until the point you used Zelda, at which point I built a solid lead.

Falco boards discussed Zelda for whatever reason recently and have it as 65/35 Falco. Which I agree with. Zelda just has no maneuverability against Falco and just gets outspaced and beat out with speed. As long as Falco's spacing properly Zelda's kill move aren't going to connect because she's able to be kept out of Falco's zone too well.

Sheik has the better MU with Falco for sure, but I 100% doubt even a slight advantage over Falco. Whether it be 0.5% or 1%.

Sheik has the ftilt 'lock'. Although it only works from about 30% or so.

I can't really see why you think Zelda goes even with Falco. How insulting can you be? :p

And it balances with you because of how forward you are, the complete opposite of subtle.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I honestly only like Diddy and Wario out of the high tiers, everyone else has something I hate:

Falco: CG
Marth: Side-B
MK: Everything
Snake: Nearly Everything
Ice Climbers: CGs

Diddy's bananas are manageable by my characters and Wario has nothing really broken about him.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I didn't say Zelda goes even, I said Shelda, which is like Sheik 80/90%, Zelda the other 20/10% for move refresh or a kill move.
Zelda alone is 0/100 against anyone except IC's.

I thought I usually used Snake against you anyway.
I cbf remembering.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I honestly only like Diddy and Wario out of the high tiers, everyone else has something I hate:

Falco: CG
Marth: Side-B
MK: Everything
Snake: Nearly Everything
Ice Climbers: CGs
Diddy: Bananas and Fair (never played Tibs or something you?)
Wario: Camping, CG's on fastfallers and large characters.
How about those?

Lol, Nova, I've never heard sheik/Zelda called shelda before, I assumed you were just mocking her name again. My mistake.

And Nova, you use Sheik/Zelda and Snake against me. If you lose one match with one of them, you usually swap in the second.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I don't use any characters who can get chain-grabbed badly by Wario. Hell, MY characters will be the ones grab releasing :p

I haven't played Tibs, no. But I really don't mind playing against Apollo's Diddy.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Seeing as I've seen you post a lot of incorrect matchup things I'm going to assume its because you're new. Sheik at best is 50/50 vs Falco, at it's worst you can look at something like 60/40 Falco. I'm not even going to ask where you got your ratio from, or how you got a weird number like 51/49 but I can most certainly assure you it is wrong.

However I'm curious to hear why you think Sheik has the upperhand on Falco.
Eh I'm going to have to write up a big explanation on it now aren't I?

I don't play sheik that much (though I do play with her a bit in friendlies and I would counter fox with her) But basically, Sheik doesn't have much of a hard time on non-static stages compared to Falco. Sheik gimps Falco really well as well if he ends up below the stage (though probably everyone does, but needles beat phantasm don't they? so he's forced into that position) Her f-tilt lock is a lot more effective on falco then many characters due to his high falling speed as well. And Sheik's lack of killing power isn't that bad anyway, considering Falco really doesn't have that much killing power either. That being said, Falco definitely has his advantages in the matchup, and I think it's very even, though no matchup is exactly 50-50 and so I would give the advantage to sheik. (if only slightly)

Well apparently Nova thinks sheik is pretty bad against falco without zelda.....idk his opinion is probably more valid then mine anyway. Idk really, this is all theory and could be completely wrong XD.

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice
ok for the december event, apollo and i have briefly discussed changes to the prize money and admission scheme.

For the moment, we guarantee about $75 in cash prizes, increasing to $100 for the next event. However we would like to increase the prize money on offer further. In order to do this, we arelikely to increase the admission fee with the extra money going directly to the competitions people enter. The additional charge will be around $5, making entry $15. In this context, 10 people registered for smash would increase the prize pool from $100 to $150. A similar system will apply to Streetfighter.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Eh I'm going to have to write up a big explanation on it now aren't I?

I don't play sheik that much (though I do play with her a bit in friendlies and I would counter fox with her) But basically, Sheik doesn't have much of a hard time on non-static stages compared to Falco. Sheik gimps Falco really well as well if he ends up below the stage (though probably everyone does, but needles beat phantasm don't they? so he's forced into that position) Her f-tilt lock is a lot more effective on falco then many characters due to his high falling speed as well. And Sheik's lack of killing power isn't that bad anyway, considering Falco really doesn't have that much killing power either. That being said, Falco definitely has his advantages in the matchup, and I think it's very even, though no matchup is exactly 50-50 and so I would give the advantage to sheik. (if only slightly)

Well apparently Nova thinks sheik is pretty bad against falco without zelda.....idk his opinion is probably more valid then mine anyway. Idk really, this is all theory and could be completely wrong XD.
Well first thing I'm going to say is yeah it is. ;) And yeah you did have to write that up. :p

I agree that Sheik is hurt less on static stages compared to Falco, but I want to know what stages you have in mind when you made that statement.

I don't think Sheik gimps Falco really well at all compared to other characters. Every character should be able to kill a Falco that's forced to recover with firebird, but Falco shouldn't be forced to do that unless there's a case of bad DI or bad buffering.

Falco having an easily punished recovery is a thing of the past against most characters. Sheik is just your average edgeguarder against Falco unless he makes those said poor decisions like ending up recovering with firebird.

Needles do beat phantasm, but don't forget they're shot in a straight line, meaning they're easy to get out the way of.

Her F-tilt lock is both good and bad against Falco because it starts at about 30%. It basically means that before that, any SDI (or normal DI) downward results in Falco shielding the ftilts. At about 30% Falco knows to expect the F-tilt. This basically means that if Sheik is fishing for the f-tilt too much, she's going to take a lot of damage just trying to hit with the lock because Falco is playing a good keep away game.

Falco does have killing power. His problem has ALWAYS been landing the kill move. Which is not so much a problem in this MU. Neither Sheik nor Zelda have very much that is safe on shield from an OOS up smash, and neither of them are the heaviest characters. They both have very linear recoveries as well meaning a bair offstage is a very viable option to kill with, or uair.

Falco's ftilt. Sheik can't even do much about this even on shield.
Falco's jab. Faster than all of Sheik's moves.
Falco's CG. Especially effective because of Sheik's weight/falling properties. Spike you on stage > Gatling combo puts you at 70/80 percent in one chain/combo. Few lasers and jabs and you'll be in kill percent. If you decide to actually change to Zelda to get the kill like Nova suggested, Falco will have an even easier time landing his kill move.

Remember that Zelda's Fsmash can be SDI'd.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
ok for the december event, apollo and i have briefly discussed changes to the prize money and admission scheme.

For the moment, we guarantee about $75 in cash prizes, increasing to $100 for the next event. However we would like to increase the prize money on offer further. In order to do this, we arelikely to increase the admission fee with the extra money going directly to the competitions people enter. The additional charge will be around $5, making entry $15. In this context, 10 people registered for smash would increase the prize pool from $100 to $150. A similar system will apply to Streetfighter.
I'm really not that pleased about this to be honest.

Considering I don't have a job or the means/experience to get one, $15 is a bit of a pain to get for every event (I get it from my parents, who aren't exactly excited about driving me for 20-30mins every event for me to play video games all day).

Especially considering that I don't enter the tournaments expecting to win at all, just for some friendly competition.

Oh well.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Well first thing I'm going to say is yeah it is. ;) And yeah you did have to write that up. :p

I agree that Sheik is hurt less on static stages compared to Falco, but I want to know what stages you have in mind when you made that statement.

I don't think Sheik gimps Falco really well at all compared to other characters. Every character should be able to kill a Falco that's forced to recover with firebird, but Falco shouldn't be forced to do that unless there's a case of bad DI or bad buffering.

Falco having an easily punished recovery is a thing of the past against most characters. Sheik is just your average edgeguarder against Falco unless he makes those said poor decisions like ending up recovering with firebird.

Needles do beat phantasm, but don't forget they're shot in a straight line, meaning they're easy to get out the way of.

Her F-tilt lock is both good and bad against Falco because it starts at about 30%. It basically means that before that, any SDI (or normal DI) downward results in Falco shielding the ftilts. At about 30% Falco knows to expect the F-tilt. This basically means that if Sheik is fishing for the f-tilt too much, she's going to take a lot of damage just trying to hit with the lock because Falco is playing a good keep away game.

Falco does have killing power. His problem has ALWAYS been landing the kill move. Which is not so much a problem in this MU. Neither Sheik nor Zelda have very much that is safe on shield from an OOS up smash, and neither of them are the heaviest characters. They both have very linear recoveries as well meaning a bair offstage is a very viable option to kill with, or uair.

Falco's ftilt. Sheik can't even do much about this even on shield.
Falco's jab. Faster than all of Sheik's moves.
Falco's CG. Especially effective because of Sheik's weight/falling properties. Spike you on stage > Gatling combo puts you at 70/80 percent in one chain/combo. Few lasers and jabs and you'll be in kill percent. If you decide to actually change to Zelda to get the kill like Nova suggested, Falco will have an even easier time landing his kill move.

Remember that Zelda's Fsmash can be SDI'd.
Hmm, well first, I wouldn't switch out into Zelda for any of the matchups I would play Sheik competitively in XD, (one or two) and not for Falco anyway.

As for stages that sheik would do better on, Brinstar and probably Rainbow Ride and Norfair, perhaps Luigi's mansion since it blocks falco's lasers. Idk, I forget what stages falco is actually bad on.

As for the f-tilt lock being easy to predict and avoided, the same thing could be said about falco's chaingrab, and f-tilt is probably a bit harder to punish.

Oh and as for Falco's jab being faster than sheik's, her jab's hitbox is out on frame 2 as well.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Hmm, well first, I wouldn't switch out into Zelda for any of the matchups I would play Sheik competitively in XD, (one or two) and not for Falco anyway.

As for stages that sheik would do better on, Brinstar and probably Rainbow Ride and Norfair, perhaps Luigi's mansion since it blocks falco's lasers. Idk, I forget what stages falco is actually bad on.

As for the f-tilt lock being easy to predict and avoided, the same thing could be said about falco's chaingrab, and f-tilt is probably a bit harder to punish.

Oh and as for Falco's jab being faster than sheik's, her jab's hitbox is out on frame 2 as well.
For the record, most competitive rulesets do not have Rainbow Ride, Norfair or even Luigi's Mansion legal, and Brinstar is the go-to ban for most Falco's anyway.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Ok wtf, keep the mu discussions under control in this thread.

As wookie stated, we might possibly increase the admission to $15 as supposed to $10 to cover entry into all smash competitions for brawl and melee in order to increase the prize pot. This is not yet confirmed so feel free to state your opinions and we can reconsider.

I'm really not that pleased about this to be honest.

Considering I don't have a job or the means/experience to get one, $15 is a bit of a pain to get for every event (I get it from my parents, who aren't exactly excited about driving me for 20-30mins every event for me to play video games all day).

Especially considering that I don't enter the tournaments expecting to win at all, just for some friendly competition.
Because Valhalla is now going to run less frequently, this increase in admission shouldn't be too imposing. If we can increase the prize pool to $150, then I will definitely put cash into the melee prizes so that certainly should encourage you! Plus $15 for a day of fun could be considered great value these days.

Top Bottom