• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
just something to think about IMO, is melee tournaments were heavily run on the tier list, not saying that i didnt agree with the list or the whole anti-tiers thing. while i was at tournaments it got boring seeing Falco VS. Fox, or Sheik VS. Marth. no individuality.

now that brawl has released i think its time to walk melee to the door and say your goodbyes. brawl i think is a better game because since alot or all of the chars. are balanced enough it actually becomes a test of skill, and not who falco is better at wavedashing.
There are so many things wrong with this post that I don't even know where to begin.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The question is, is it the characters or the players?

In other words, could the players winning still win if they used a 'sub-par' character?

Also, NO JOHNS.
That all depends on whether videogaming is really a sport or not. If it is, then there will always be better "athletes", regardless of the characters. If that's the case, then most people just aren't cut out for competitive Smash, the same that most people aren't cut out for the NBA or NFL.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
That all depends on whether videogaming is really a sport or not. If it is, then there will always be better "athletes", regardless of the characters. If that's the case, then most people just aren't cut out for competitive Smash, the same that most people aren't cut out for the NBA or NFL.
how we categorize video games has no effect on how natural ability affects the success of its participants.

but most people aren't cut out for professional sports because they don't want to put in the time and work, not because of natural abilities.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
how we categorize video games has no effect on how natural ability affects the success of its participants.

but most people aren't cut out for professional sports because they don't want to put in the time and work, not because of natural abilities.
Wrong. No matter how hard I work, I am not tall enough, fast enough or strong enough to succeed in any major professional sport. I simply don't have the body type for it.

The same is true for Smash. There are some people, like KDJ, who are naturally better than everyone. There are some people, like M2K, who's hard work and determination do eventually pay off. And then there are the thousands of people who, no matter how long they practice, will never win a tournament.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Wrong. No matter how hard I work, I am not tall enough, fast enough or strong enough to succeed in any major professional sport. I simply don't have the body type for it.

The same is true for Smash. There are some people, like KDJ, who are naturally better than everyone. There are some people, like M2K, who's hard work and determination do eventually pay off. And then there are the thousands of people who, no matter how long they practice, will never win a tournament.
height is a problem you can't control, but motor skills and strength can both be developed through training.

of course natural ability helps, but it isn't a huge limiting factor. those thousands of people won't get good enough to win a tournament because they don't get the right practice. the internet and small local tournaments can get you only so far

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
True lol, but I would consider it worse than melee, dunno about 64.
Yeah, after picking up Dedede, I will never again say Brawl is balanced.

But I think there's more than one type of imbalance, each of the three smash games is imbalanced in its own way.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
lmaooo, it's true, dazwa, you were probably the closest evar, so the real medal should go to him, sbr member doesn't mean they are pro at every aspect of...mmmeverything

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I'm curious, do you have a link to that? I wouldn't mind reading about Street Fighter I priority <_<

Also:

I need a name change Q_Q.

Now that I think about it, Sand makes more sense considering Nigeria's located in Africa and part of it is in the Sahara.

Edit:56K......in you sig....is that.....Azn DDD?

Aesir

Smash Master
Balance is boring, when every character can beat every other character it's incredibly boring.

the most fun in melee I've ever had was beating a sheik with marth, why? it's a hard match up. If every character was balanced I wouldn't play it.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Marth vs Sheik is a hard match-up?

Clearly you don't understand the sufferings of a Falcon mainer.

But, I guess an even worse match-up would be Link vs a good Fox, lol.

You Marth mainers get it off so easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom